Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Strom Thurmond posted:

Yeah, I deserve that - I read the first post and a few pages and decided I'd just learn as I went - didn't work out so hot for me. I only read on some droid-related forum that someone thought it might brick it, but you know, he was just some guy on the internet posting stuff. I'm not opposed to that, and I will probably do that if nothing else works, I'd just like to see if anyone else has any bright ideas.

Question on the returning-it-to-Verizon thing - how much of a hassle will they give me? My phone is a year old in November, so it's not like it's brand new or anything. But I guess if they can't turn it on they can't really say anything.
Honestly if it was me, I'd say "yeah it asked me if I wanted to update or something and I did it and now it won't turn on" and I'd say something dumber if they asked questions any more specific than that.

Note: I've never dealt with Verizon ever so I can't predict how they'd react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I find playing dumb with them usually goes a long way, especially of you get someone who is knowledgeable (teehee). Also its hard for them to argue with you if you play really dumb and just don't know what happened jesus Att didn't treat me like this.

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You probably still have "su" installed, but the OTA update reset the permissions bit on it so it can't actually get root privileges. That's pretty easy to fix if you can get a root shell again.

First thing though, you need "USB Debugging" to work again. It will only turn on when USB is disconnected. Power off your phone, pull the battery, wait 30s, put the battery back in and power on. Before connecting the USB cable, try turning "USB Debugging" back on. If it worked, you can proceed. If not, you're hosed right here and well, uhm, SBF time?

If you were able to get USB Debugging back on, then you can use the Bionic One-Click to get root again. Pay particular attention to the Droid X Notes as this is almost certainly the case you're in.

Turns out the "debugging mode" notification wasn't showing up like it was in Froyo - it used to tell me debugging mode was active. Your link worked wonders, and the Droid X notes were helpful as well. Can I buy you a forum upgrade of your choice? I literally worked on this all day and you helped me fix it in about ten minutes.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

For anyone rocking a Thunderbolt, the latest OMFGB nightly (9-13) has been pretty good to me. It apparently has DRod's latest kernel installed as default and I'm getting pretty good 3G only battery life with it. Currently at 15 hours off charger and have around 58% battery left.

The only big knock against it is that I've had a few sleep of deaths requiring a battery pull and also the status bar widget to toggle 3G/4G is broken. Not that big of a deal as you can just go into Settings > Networks and select it there.

Edit: Their Rootzwik page can be found here

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Strom Thurmond posted:

Your link worked wonders, and the Droid X notes were helpful as well.
Awesome!

Don't worry about it, just glad I could help.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I have an Evo that I flash to Cyanogen 7. I like it, except for the camera app and possibly the dialer app. What's a good replacement for the camera app?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Posted this a few pages ago, but it might've gotten lost in the shuffle. Please help.

hooah posted:

I see that a CM7 alpha is out for the 3D. I was able to get S-OFF in a very roundabout way (couldn't get Revolutionary to work, used HTC's method and then managed to hack my way through some other method to get full S-OFF), but at some point my phone went back to S-ON, even though Superuser still works.

Given the above, how would I go about putting CM7 on my phone, and would I even want to yet?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Posted this a few pages ago, but it might've gotten lost in the shuffle. Please help.
I'll admit right up front that I know nothing about the device and since xda hasn't really embraced or even examined what the HTC tool does it's difficult at a cursory glance to understand what the effect of it is.

I can tell you this: Root isn't really affected by S-ON. It's my understanding that you can be rooted with S-ON and running apps that require Superuser will function.

I think S-ON refers in most cases to the NAND lock which will prevent you from flashing ROMs. ExcessBLarg! could probably give details (and I'd love to read them) but I think the HTC tool doesn't give S-OFF but does allow you to flash ROMs but not kernels and radios so even if the bootloader is unlocked using HTC's tool it won't give you the degree of freedom you need to flash CM7.

How to get from where you are to where you're going? I did some reading on xda and if you have HBOOT 1.49.00011 (this was a GSM thread, the CDMA HBOOT may be different) it's simply not possible at this time to get S-OFF. And if I'm remembering correctly you can't run the tool without having that HBOOT so I think for the time being you're hosed when it comes to flashing a custom ROM but I could be wrong, wait for someone who knows better to tell you.

vvv See? I told you--the man's the oracle.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 18, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
If you updated HBOOT so as to use the official unlock method, there's no way at present (to my knowledge) to get S-OFF again. You were able to previously through some magic? I haven't seen that at xda, and if it's possible they'd be jumping all over it.

Anyways, regardless of S-ON, are you "**** UNLOCKED ****"?

If so, you can pretty much follow this post of this thread to flash ROMs.

Basically, the trick is that you need to keep a copy of whichever custom recovery image (ClockworkMod, TWRP) on your computer. When you want to flash a ROM, you have to boot into recovery via "fastboot boot ...". That's the only way that a kernel flash will take with HTC's method, but otherwise it should be the same process.

Edit: Details?

Basically with HTC's unlock method, the NAND lock still applies to all partitions but /system, I think. Boot and recovery can also be replaced by "fastboot flash", which is fine, but somewhat inconvenient as everyone expects to be able to flash directly from recovery.

What's weird is that if you boot recovery normally, the boot partition is locked, but if you "fastboot boot" recovery, it's not and it flashes just fine. It would seem to me that this discrepant behavior is unintended. Either you should be able to flash kernels from recovery, or "fastboot boot" shouldn't be able to. The fact that one can and the other can't is probably a bug, but which one is right?

As for other partitions, like splash, I don't know if they can be changed with HTC's method or not. Details on that are pretty scant.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 18, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thanks for the explanation. I doubt I'll ever buy a non-Nexus device but it's good information to have because I'm asked about this stuff fairly frequently.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks for the help.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Pizza Club posted:

I have an Evo that I flash to Cyanogen 7. I like it, except for the camera app and possibly the dialer app. What's a good replacement for the camera app?

I saw miui camera recommended at another forum as a replacement for cm7 camera. I like it lots better, has tap to focus but still not close to the sense camera.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=984279
(It takes way better pictures for me than the examples in there)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 18, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Anybody know any good Droid X2 roms? C7 hasn't been ported to it yet (though supposedly their working on it).

I just want one that has a comparable battery life to the stock phone, and doesent reboot itself once a day, and isn't broken (working bluetooth, GPS etc).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

I saw miui camera recommended at another forum as a replacement for cm7 camera. I like it lots better, has tap to focus but still not close to the sense camera.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=984279
(It takes way better pictures for me than the examples in there)
Tried this out on the fiancee's Nexus S. Is there any camera replacement that allows for zoom on a Nexus S? Even the stock camera on the stock ROM won't let you zoom and that's just ridiculous.

(And yes, I understand the rationalization that all a digital zoom does is crop the picture reducing resolution and you can just do that later but that's retarded if I can do it in the camera itself.)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anybody know any good Droid X2 roms? C7 hasn't been ported to it yet (though supposedly their working on it).

I just want one that has a comparable battery life to the stock phone, and doesent reboot itself once a day, and isn't broken (working bluetooth, GPS etc).

Hey man, I responded to your edit in the other thread if you didn't see it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

Hey man, I responded to your edit in the other thread if you didn't see it.

Nah I saw it, was just wondering if anyone else had any opinions on it.

Thanks for answering though :)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Nah I saw it, was just wondering if anyone else had any opinions on it.

Thanks for answering though :)

Is all good, I responded a little after you posted it so I wasn't sure.

Ill add onto what I said and suggest definitely steering clear of Eclipse v.6. I've been really disappointed.

We seem to be a small group.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
If I root my phone and install a custom recovery and all this poo poo, does that all disappear and go back to completely stock if I use RSD Lite and flash an SBF to my phone?

Asking just in case I need to exchange my phone for warranty reasons down the road.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

If I root my phone and install a custom recovery and all this poo poo, does that all disappear and go back to completely stock if I use RSD Lite and flash an SBF to my phone?

Asking just in case I need to exchange my phone for warranty reasons down the road.

Yep, if you can flash an SBF you should be golden if you have a problem. It takes you back to from the factory stock.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

Tried this out on the fiancee's Nexus S. Is there any camera replacement that allows for zoom on a Nexus S? Even the stock camera on the stock ROM won't let you zoom and that's just ridiculous.

This one does: https://market.android.com/details?id=slide.cameraZoom

Results are pretty poor though (although that could just be how digital zoom is)

Edit: Uh just took a few pics and its even worse than I remember (to the point of being useless). Don't buy the app just for the zoom capability

dissss fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 19, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Digital zoom is pretty awful. That's really weird about the Nexus S.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

This one does: https://market.android.com/details?id=slide.cameraZoom

Results are pretty poor though (although that could just be how digital zoom is)
Hmm, I'll pass it along although I can't imagine her spending $5 for digital zoom (which is indeed pretty awful). Thanks.

Now that I see your edit I won't even pass it along!

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Maybe someone who knows about the innards of Android can help me out. After flashing CM7 I tried restoring all my WIFI passwords from Titanium Backup but it didn't work, as in it didn't apply the backup to the wifi settings. I was coming from a 2.2 Sense rom. I read online that something changed with the wpa_supplicant file coming from 2.2 and that something needed to be moved in order for the backup to work.

Any ideas? I'd really like to have my wifi passwords work.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If you're upgrading from a different version of android AND going Sense to AOSP restoring system data is a bad idea.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
CM Alpha 2 for the Sensation is up.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258543

Something to note: It is built using the latest OTA radio (10.56.9035.00U_10.14.9035.01) so you'll need to change to that.

Changes:
-Wifi calling FC fixed
-Kernel updated (along with accompanying props)
-LOTS of audio issues fixed
-Rebased to latest CM7 source
-Screen-off RIL crash should be fixed

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

az jan jananam posted:

Maybe someone who knows about the innards of Android can help me out. After flashing CM7 I tried restoring all my WIFI passwords from Titanium Backup but it didn't work, as in it didn't apply the backup to the wifi settings. I was coming from a 2.2 Sense rom. I read online that something changed with the wpa_supplicant file coming from 2.2 and that something needed to be moved in order for the backup to work.

Any ideas? I'd really like to have my wifi passwords work.
First of all, you shouldn't have to restore your wifi passwords, they're stored in the Google cloud.

Secondly, bmg is right, never restore system settings with Titanium across types. Even better, don't do it across ROMs. When my girl was moving from the G2x to the Nexus S, I thought I'd do exactly the same thing although I was moving from "vanilla" Gingerbread to CM7 which is AOSP Gingerbread. It hosed up the wifi to the extent that I had to wipe everything and start the entire process from the beginning. Just don't do it.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
I fixed it. For anyone else having trouble with wifi password restoration in Titanium not working it's probably due to a permissions issue, you can fix it by doing the following in a terminal

chown system.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

And then rebooting.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

az jan jananam posted:

I fixed it. For anyone else having trouble with wifi password restoration in Titanium not working it's probably due to a permissions issue, you can fix it by doing the following in a terminal

chown system.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

And then rebooting.

LastInLine posted:

First of all, you shouldn't have to restore your wifi passwords, they're stored in the Google cloud.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
The Sense rom I was on did not have the google backup service.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

az jan jananam posted:

The Sense rom I was on did not have the google backup service.

That's odd, it's been part of Android for a while now and my Evo 3D definitely has the options for it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

big mean giraffe posted:

That's odd, it's been part of Android for a while now and my Evo 3D definitely has the options for it.

It's not terribly common but it exists. There are a some WWE (European) based Sense ROM's with little to no Google anywhere in them and they can function just fine. Some of the original Hero ports were like that. The only set up on initial boot was for HTC sync services.

Edit: It's also in badly built Sense ROM's that don't have the Google set up wizard launched on first boot and the only way to initialize it is by launching a Google app after it's finished booting. If that's the case none of the saved cloud stuff gets passed to the phone.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just purchased a rooted droid 2 global last night and figured this was the best place to ask. I don't know anything about 'why' rooting is decent, although I'm reading up on it. My biggest issue right now is the phone works just fine yet I can't download anything from the droid market. I started looking into it although any of the issues I found on the droid forums didn't seem like what's going on with mine. I can see the market yet anything I click on to get any kind of app just says download failed as soon as it pops up in my progress bar. No error messages. Any ideas? If there's any information on the phone that could help you guys out, you'd need to tell me because I don't know how to look it up. Price was right for the phone, so Im willing to put up with a little hassle till it gets working right.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
For anyone running an OG Droid still, I think I've found the King of all ROMs still being developed for it. I've spent the past year or so bouncing around between Cyanogenmod 6-7 as well as Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast & GPA builds. I've even dicked around with Charity and MIUI for shits and none of them seemed to have it perfect. The ROM would be "okay" for a while but never feel like it delivered results.

Then I went and snagged Simply Stunning on a whim. I figured since Chevyno1 built a badass kernel, he could probably build a good ROM. I underestimated the poo poo out of him. Unlock screen has ZERO lag. Apps happily fling themselves at your face. 3G is even tweaked to feel a lot faster too. For some reason this ROM attracted a lot of themers too. It's a tiny bit bloaty but nothing you can't strip out with Titanium Backup. (Example: it comes with 3 launchers? w-t-f.) I'm only running at 800mhz and this is all the phone I'll need until I can finally burn my one and only NE2 in November.

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I just purchased a rooted droid 2 global last night and figured this was the best place to ask. I don't know anything about 'why' rooting is decent, although I'm reading up on it. My biggest issue right now is the phone works just fine yet I can't download anything from the droid market. I started looking into it although any of the issues I found on the droid forums didn't seem like what's going on with mine. I can see the market yet anything I click on to get any kind of app just says download failed as soon as it pops up in my progress bar. No error messages. Any ideas? If there's any information on the phone that could help you guys out, you'd need to tell me because I don't know how to look it up. Price was right for the phone, so Im willing to put up with a little hassle till it gets working right.

Whenever the Market freaks out, your best first step is to go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All > Market. Then Force-Close it, and clear the Data. Once you open up the Market again it will reinitialize and refresh with info from your phone.

Rooting is a good thing for your phone because it gives you legitimate control. Non-root users are unable to do proper local data backups. So if they were to switch phones they'd lose things like their Angry Birds progress, or certain settings for apps like Launchers or SMS replacements. You can also do fun stuff like taking screenshots without having to chain yourself to a PC and run contract-voiding tethering apps so anything with wifi can have a connection via your phone.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 19, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Is it stock rooted or running a custom ROM of some sort? Settings > About phone, mine has Mod version under CM7 but I'm not sure what yours should or does look like. Also what's the Android version in the same screen?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

Is it stock rooted or running a custom ROM of some sort? Settings > About phone, mine has Mod version under CM7 but I'm not sure what yours should or does look like. Also what's the Android version in the same screen?

I see

System version Fission_2.4.3
Android Version 2.2
Baseband version N_01.48.05R
Kernel Version ohmygodlotsofnumbers
Build number is the same as system version

Cleared market data, gonna go retry it now thank you.

Edit: market seems to be working! Sweet!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Usually when you have any market issues with stuff locking up it can be solved by force stopping and clearing data.

As for good root apps, first of the bunch every time is always going to be Adfree Android. LBE Privacy Guard (allows you to kill permissions on applications that you think are to intrusive), Titanium Backup, Some sort of root file explorer (ES Explorer is nice), and Optimize Toolbox. As a mechanically minded man I think you'll really enjoy some of the neat stuff you can do with the last one.

I did a little digging and found some information resources for some new roms once you feel the itch to try around. Forums located here. As well, although XDA is a cesspool and it looks like most devving is at a standstill, here is a link to the main FAQ over on XDA. You should familiarize yourself with it.

Remember:

Systemversion=Rom
Baseband=Radio Identification Number
Kernel version= :words: This image explains it better

Edit Sorry i had it uploaded via attachments and it didn't show up so i threw it on imagur

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 20, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I think you have the image in there twice.

As for explaining it better, I'm confused as heck. How does that image equate to version number for the kernel? (Seriously, I'd love to learn, I have no idea about how this stuff is derived.)

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Is there anyone active in Android ROM development in here? If so can you PM me?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Wow right now the ROM scene or the X2 is pretty bad. I flashed a couple of custom roms last night and pretty much immediately SBF'ed back to stock.

I think someone is porting CM7 over to it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Wow right now the ROM scene or the X2 is pretty bad. I flashed a couple of custom roms last night and pretty much immediately SBF'ed back to stock.

I think someone is porting CM7 over to it, though.

Its true. I haven't even messed with anything but Eclipse really. I would go back to stock if it didn't run better. Don't stay to long in the X2 section of XDA either, like the loving wild west if it was full of 11 year olds.

Also yea I think there is a guy claiming to be porting CM7 but he hardly has a presence on the board and I've never seen any actual proof he's doing jack. Though none of that really means anything.