Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

They do not withold any pay from my check. I get 4,250 dollars on each check and I am told to save taxes for myself. I don't know how much I should save, however, and more reading on the IRS website just brings up more questions as I read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

What should the normal procedure be for the exercising of options/selling of stock during the year?

I normally sell ESPP shares twice a year and may sell some options this year as well. The ESPP was a giant tax pain in the rear end because the company just started reporting the income portion on the w2 correctly as of tax year 2010. Now it is not so bad. There is still usually a cap gain on that as well, though. If I sold options it would be all capital gain.

My tax is not withheld for the espp/option gains. I usually just keep in mind a rough tax estimate of what I will have to pay at tax time. I remember in the past not only having to pay but pay a penalty (small one, but still) for not submitting tax on the gains earlier. I don't even know how to go about reporting those gains or paying that tax in the middle of the year. I really hope I am not expected to adjust my estimated withholding based on variable espp/stock sums of money.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

TreFitty posted:

They do not withold any pay from my check. I get 4,250 dollars on each check and I am told to save taxes for myself. I don't know how much I should save, however, and more reading on the IRS website just brings up more questions as I read.

You will owe SE tax then. Whether you qualify for the FEIE and how much depends on a bunch of different factors that go beyond what I can tell you here.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Infinotize posted:

What should the normal procedure be for the exercising of options/selling of stock during the year?

I normally sell ESPP shares twice a year and may sell some options this year as well. The ESPP was a giant tax pain in the rear end because the company just started reporting the income portion on the w2 correctly as of tax year 2010. Now it is not so bad. There is still usually a cap gain on that as well, though. If I sold options it would be all capital gain.

My tax is not withheld for the espp/option gains. I usually just keep in mind a rough tax estimate of what I will have to pay at tax time. I remember in the past not only having to pay but pay a penalty (small one, but still) for not submitting tax on the gains earlier. I don't even know how to go about reporting those gains or paying that tax in the middle of the year. I really hope I am not expected to adjust my estimated withholding based on variable espp/stock sums of money.

You are required to pay in the lesser of 100% of your last year's tax (110% if your gross income is more than $150K), or 90% of your current year's tax to avoid underpayment penalties. You can do this through adjustments to your paycheck withholding, or by making estimated tax payments to make up the difference between the required amount and your withholding.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I'm interested in learning about US taxes on international companies so I'd welcome recommendations to websites or books. Here's the kind of question I'd be looking to have the knowledge to answer.

Your client is an American citizen. He runs a company that does various technical consulting for other companies. So for instance a company may give him their sales data and his team of economists will determine how the prices should be adjusted to maximize their profits. He finds that his company can do their job regardless of the physical location.

He asks if he expatriated to the Cayman Islands and established a corporation there would he still be liable for US Taxes.

Now first, I actually am interested in the answer to that sample question if you know it. But more importantly I where I can get the knowledge to answer questions like that aside from grinding through IRS.gov.

Daeus
Nov 17, 2001

Furu, you practice in CA right? How much would it cost to hire you to do taxes at years end?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Daeus posted:

Furu, you practice in CA right? How much would it cost to hire you to do taxes at years end?

Most likely somewhere between $200 and $10,000. If you would like something more specific send me an email with an outline of your situation to russell@barnettaccounting.net.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Oceanlife posted:

I'm interested in learning about US taxes on international companies so I'd welcome recommendations to websites or books. Here's the kind of question I'd be looking to have the knowledge to answer.

Your client is an American citizen. He runs a company that does various technical consulting for other companies. So for instance a company may give him their sales data and his team of economists will determine how the prices should be adjusted to maximize their profits. He finds that his company can do their job regardless of the physical location.

He asks if he expatriated to the Cayman Islands and established a corporation there would he still be liable for US Taxes.

Now first, I actually am interested in the answer to that sample question if you know it. But more importantly I where I can get the knowledge to answer questions like that aside from grinding through IRS.gov.

Research your own class homework!

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
The client doesn't have to pay any taxes no matter where he lives because the 16th amendment was never actually approved, hth.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

AbbiTheDog posted:

Research your own class homework!

I graduated a long time about, but thanks for the reply I guess.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

scribe jones posted:

The client doesn't have to pay any taxes no matter where he lives because the 16th amendment was never actually approved, hth.

Nah, they still owe state taxes, just not federal. At least under that argument.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

furushotakeru posted:

Nah, they still owe state taxes, just not federal. At least under that argument.
Well yeah but there's gold fringe on the state flag in the courtroom so

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

quote:

I graduated a long time about, but thanks for the reply I guess.

I suggest teaming up with poofactory for your new venture in evading US taxes. Maybe you two can scrape together the $5,000 needed for an accountant that specializes in international taxation to think about your idea for an hour before deciding to just tell you it doesn't work like that.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Admiral101 posted:

I suggest teaming up with poofactory for your new venture in evading US taxes. Maybe you two can scrape together the $5,000 needed for an accountant that specializes in international taxation to think about your idea for an hour before deciding to just tell you it doesn't work like that.

I was asking for a book I could read on the subject and giving an example to highlight the subject area I'm looking for. If you know one great, I'd appreciate a recommendation.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Oceanlife posted:

I was asking for a book I could read on the subject and giving an example to highlight the subject area I'm looking for. If you know one great, I'd appreciate a recommendation.

Google it first, there's tons of examples about how Ireland/carribbean accounting works.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2010/07/crs.html

And my google search probably has the IRS all over me now, thanks.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

The short answer is that a US citizen's worldwide income is taxable regardless of where they live. If a citizen wishes to renounce their citizenship their worldwide income is still taxable for 10 years following, and it is only limited to 10 years as long as the person files a specific form each year.

The corporate income might be free from US taxation as long as they aren't physically doing business inside the US.

Sharkface
Apr 20, 2002

furushotakeru posted:

The short answer is that a US citizen's worldwide income is taxable regardless of where they live. If a citizen wishes to renounce their citizenship their worldwide income is still taxable for 10 years following, and it is only limited to 10 years as long as the person files a specific form each year.

The corporate income might be free from US taxation as long as they aren't physically doing business inside the US.

If its a corp registered in the Cayman Islands and owned by American shareholders, even if they aren't doing American business, its my understanding that you owe American taxes. You basically end up paying taxes on corporate income whether or not you take a distribution.

That said, its not a bad thing... you don't incur additional tax by doing business in this way because there are several tax-free jurisdictions.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Sharkface posted:

If its a corp registered in the Cayman Islands and owned by American shareholders, even if they aren't doing American business, its my understanding that you owe American taxes. You basically end up paying taxes on corporate income whether or not you take a distribution.

That said, its not a bad thing... you don't incur additional tax by doing business in this way because there are several tax-free jurisdictions.
Wouldn't you owe personal, not corporate, taxes?

And I mean if that was really a concern, it's not like the US lacks S corps or LLCs.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

And I mean if that was really a concern, it's not like the US lacks S corps or LLCs.

There is a form 5471 to report foreign corporations that have significant % of US shareholders, but I am not clear off the top of my head whether income taxes are assessed on corporate profits. The only one I do is an Indian company that hasn't made any money yet. 5471 is essentially a P&L and B/S similar to a corporate tax return, so it is conceivable.

Sharkface
Apr 20, 2002

Small White Dragon posted:

It's a personal tax assessed on the percentage of a corporations income distributable to the American shareholder. The shareholder is liable for reporting it and paying it. It's assessed on corporate income, distributed or not, but paid by the shareholder.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

In other words "the IRS is way ahead of you"

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

In other words "the IRS is way ahead of you"

It's not like you're going to find anything new that hasn't been tried yet. You don't think the big companies don't have herds of tax lawyers wandering around whose sole job it is to get around the tax laws? We only hear about this stuff years after they start and it finally gets worked through the courts.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

My head almost exploded this morning when I heard two different morons blathering on about how taxing capital gains is double taxation. I don't think they know what a capital gain is.

It's going to be a long election campaign.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
If everyone understood taxes, what would you do with your life?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

My head almost exploded this morning when I heard two different morons blathering on about how taxing capital gains is double taxation. I don't think they know what a capital gain is.

It's going to be a long election campaign.

They should scrap the capital gains rates, but if you hold the asset more than one year, you get to adjust the original cost basis for inflation.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Modified Decelerated Cost Appreciation System?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I am sorry I literally killed this thread

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

So if I understand this right, if you have to pay your own taxes on your income you only have to pay self employment tax? I've been trying to find a definite answer as to what I will have to pay percentage wise but I've been coming across differing answers. Can anyone recommend some type of calculator to figure it out?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

hello internet posted:

So if I understand this right, if you have to pay your own taxes on your income you only have to pay self employment tax? I've been trying to find a definite answer as to what I will have to pay percentage wise but I've been coming across differing answers. Can anyone recommend some type of calculator to figure it out?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Net income from self employment activities (consulting, freelancing, etc) is subject to both income tax at the appropriate rate for your overall taxable income, as well as 15.3% self employment tax (13.3% in 2011 though).

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

furushotakeru posted:

I'm not sure what you are asking. Net income from self employment activities (consulting, freelancing, etc) is subject to both income tax at the appropriate rate for your overall taxable income, as well as 15.3% self employment tax (13.3% in 2011 though).

My boss doesn't withhold anything from my paycheck and I am having difficulty trying to figure out how much I need to be setting aside to pay taxes because I've gotten 50 different answers. State of Ohio if it matters.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hopefully someone can help me out with this question.

Last year, my wife started her own business as a sole proprietorship. At this point, it's becoming obvious that we don't have the time or resources to invest to make this work. Is there anything we need to do to signal to the IRS that she's giving up and the business is closing? We filed all the schedule C, etc, for 2010 taxes, and we'll do that for 2011 as well (as the business has continued to operate this year). Do we just not do that in 2012 and thats the end of it?

If it makes a difference, this was a seriously tiny home business, so there were no business premises, employees, etc.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Hopefully someone can help me out with this question.

Last year, my wife started her own business as a sole proprietorship. At this point, it's becoming obvious that we don't have the time or resources to invest to make this work. Is there anything we need to do to signal to the IRS that she's giving up and the business is closing? We filed all the schedule C, etc, for 2010 taxes, and we'll do that for 2011 as well (as the business has continued to operate this year). Do we just not do that in 2012 and thats the end of it?

If it makes a difference, this was a seriously tiny home business, so there were no business premises, employees, etc.

Just stop filing schedule C.

Oliax
Aug 19, 2011

Bavaro-Mancunian
Friendship Society

hello internet posted:

My boss doesn't withhold anything from my paycheck and I am having difficulty trying to figure out how much I need to be setting aside to pay taxes because I've gotten 50 different answers. State of Ohio if it matters.

Ok, let's see if I can shed some light on this.

First of all, do you know what tax form your employer will be giving you? The choices are W2 or 1099. If he is not witholding any taxes from what he pays you, and you make anything more than about 10K per year, then he is probably treating you as an independent contractor and should be giving you a 1099. The bad news about this is that you will need to pay "self-employment tax" (see below). The good news is that this means your boss considers you an "independent contractor" which means you can and should deduct al kinds of business expenses against the income reported on your 1099. I won't go into the details of all the things you can deduct if you are self-employed, but it is a shitload and I hihgly recommend that you pick up a tax guide and take a look at the details of all the things you can deduct. This will make a massive impact on your taxes (in a good way) but you need to keep records and receipts. :-( In general, the IRS will "help" you to report all your gross income, but they will leave it up to you to figure out what you are allowed to deduct.

If for some reason your employer will be giving you a W2 at the end of the year (if you don;t know, ASK now) that basically means you are an employee and tax should have been witheld from your paycheck all year long. In that case, you should ask your employer for a W4 form (which is used to calculate how much tax should be witheld from each paycheck), fill it out and give it your employer (make sure you keep a copy). The IRS frowns on employers and employees who don;t withold taxes throughout the year, and if this is your situation, you need to get this straightened out ASAP or you will be paying interest and fines at year-end.

Ok let's assume you are indeed self-employed and your employer gives you a 1099 and you are able to deduct lots of business expenses. You will then need to pay taxes on whatever is left over, your net income. You will need to pay two types of taxes. 1. "Income tax" which is assessed by both the federal gov't and the state as a % of your net income, which increases as your income increases. I.e. you pay a smaller percentage of tax on your 1st 100K of income than you would on the secone 100K, et. 2. "Payroll taxes" which are used specifically to fund Social Security and Medicare, these are both federal taxes, so what state you live in doesn't matter. When you are an employee, these taxes are split 50/50 between you and your employer. In other words each of you pays 1.45% of your net income for Medicare and 6.2% of your net income for Social Security. So as an employee, you would see 7.65% of your paycheck being witheld and going to these two items (sometimes this is referred to as FICA). At the same time, an employer has to pay an additional 7.65% of your gross salary for these two programs. However, when you are self-employed, you are responsible for both the employer and employee portion, which means you need to pay the full 15.3% to the government. :-( But at least its with pre-tax dollars.

Hope that helps clarify things.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Oliax posted:

Ok, let's see if I can shed some light on this.

First of all, do you know what tax form your employer will be giving you? The choices are W2 or 1099. If he is not witholding any taxes from what he pays you, and you make anything more than about 10K per year, then he is probably treating you as an independent contractor and should be giving you a 1099. The bad news about this is that you will need to pay "self-employment tax" (see below). The good news is that this means your boss considers you an "independent contractor" which means you can and should deduct al kinds of business expenses against the income reported on your 1099. I won't go into the details of all the things you can deduct if you are self-employed, but it is a shitload and I hihgly recommend that you pick up a tax guide and take a look at the details of all the things you can deduct. This will make a massive impact on your taxes (in a good way) but you need to keep records and receipts. :-( In general, the IRS will "help" you to report all your gross income, but they will leave it up to you to figure out what you are allowed to deduct.

If for some reason your employer will be giving you a W2 at the end of the year (if you don;t know, ASK now) that basically means you are an employee and tax should have been witheld from your paycheck all year long. In that case, you should ask your employer for a W4 form (which is used to calculate how much tax should be witheld from each paycheck), fill it out and give it your employer (make sure you keep a copy). The IRS frowns on employers and employees who don;t withold taxes throughout the year, and if this is your situation, you need to get this straightened out ASAP or you will be paying interest and fines at year-end.

Ok let's assume you are indeed self-employed and your employer gives you a 1099 and you are able to deduct lots of business expenses. You will then need to pay taxes on whatever is left over, your net income. You will need to pay two types of taxes. 1. "Income tax" which is assessed by both the federal gov't and the state as a % of your net income, which increases as your income increases. I.e. you pay a smaller percentage of tax on your 1st 100K of income than you would on the secone 100K, et. 2. "Payroll taxes" which are used specifically to fund Social Security and Medicare, these are both federal taxes, so what state you live in doesn't matter. When you are an employee, these taxes are split 50/50 between you and your employer. In other words each of you pays 1.45% of your net income for Medicare and 6.2% of your net income for Social Security. So as an employee, you would see 7.65% of your paycheck being witheld and going to these two items (sometimes this is referred to as FICA). At the same time, an employer has to pay an additional 7.65% of your gross salary for these two programs. However, when you are self-employed, you are responsible for both the employer and employee portion, which means you need to pay the full 15.3% to the government. :-( But at least its with pre-tax dollars.

Hope that helps clarify things.

Look at the new guy, kicking rear end and taking names! Nice work.

The following link can answer 75% of the questions asked in this thread as well, if the posters would bother trying it first.

https://www.google.com

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Now let's all just hope our respective clients never find out about this "google" or else we might be out of a job :v:

Oliax
Aug 19, 2011

Bavaro-Mancunian
Friendship Society

AbbiTheDog posted:

Why thank you! I figured I shouldn't just bitch about soccer and video games, and actually be a little helpful where I actually know something useful.

furushotakeru posted:

Now let's all just hope our respective clients never find out about this "google" or else we might be out of a job :v:

I don't know, many a call I get starts with: "so I read this on-line but I don't understand if it applies to me" :-)

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
Wasn't there a 2% reduction in employee side social security tax this year? I had done a few quarterly payments this year and noticed that several employers were withholding too much money from employees wages, attributable to using 6.2% instead of 4.2% for this year. Of course, everyone who was doing this were doing their own payroll and not using Paychex or ADP.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

rentilius posted:

Wasn't there a 2% reduction in employee side social security tax this year? I had done a few quarterly payments this year and noticed that several employers were withholding too much money from employees wages, attributable to using 6.2% instead of 4.2% for this year. Of course, everyone who was doing this were doing their own payroll and not using Paychex or ADP.

Yes

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010

furushotakeru posted:

Yes

SOMEONE'S GONNA GIT IT.

Also, did they make any changes to the phase out for the American Opportunity Credit this year? If not, I think I may have found a misprint in my CPA review materials. :(

Oceanlife posted:

This won't specifically answer your question, but here's a short article on "The Global Tax Dance" by Edward D. Kleinbard. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/edward-d-kleinbard/the-global-tax-avoidance-_b_843318.html

And here is a lenghty paper on more! http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1791769

rentilius fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

The following link can answer 75% of the questions asked in this thread as well, if the posters would bother trying it first.

https://www.google.com

I did use google and that is what caused the confusion, I was told by the person in accounting to plan on saving one percentage and google was coming up with another that's why I was looking for clarification. I will receive the 1099 tax form. So I will only be paying the self employment tax that is 15.3%, so if I were to save every penny of that percentage I wouldn't have to pay any other taxes to anything payroll related?

hello internet fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 5, 2011