Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me

slidebite posted:

I would love to see a cockpit video of an SR71 flight at altitude and speed. Were any ever done and released to the public?

I'd love to see one too. The footage from James May trip in a U-2 was amazing, imagine that 15,000 ft higher at mach 3.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I found a better sound than that other sound.

:3:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bondematt posted:

Isn't this impossible due to the decreasing efficiency of prop engines as they reach the speed of sound or does it just make it a bitch?

The issue with getting a propeller driven aircraft supersonic isn't the engine, but the propeller itself.

As propeller blades approach Mach 1, shockwaves start to form on the tips of the blades, and those shockwaves produce a considerable amount of vibration and noise, as well as a loss of thrust as the airflow separates from the blades.

Changing the blade design can alleviate some of those effects and allow a propeller to operate with supersonic blades, and NASA actually designed and wind-tunnel tested propeller designs that could operate with the blades moving well above the speed of sound, although I don't know that they were ever flight tested.

Fitting a supersonic propeller to an airframe also poses some aerodynamic issues, since the shockwaves from the propeller blades would start interacting with the shockwaves forming ahead of the aircraft as it approached Mach 1, which could cause vibration or controllability issues.

With a purpose-built supersonic prop and a sufficently powerful engine, getting a propeller driven aircraft to break Mach 1 in level flight should be possible, but the development and construction costs probably mean that it won't happen unless a major aircraft manufacturer or government agency decided to build one.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

I hope I live long enough to see a piston driven prop airplane hit Mach 1.

Have a look at reports on the physical effects to those within 10km of the thunderscreech on startup. Rotating shockwaves are not a good thing.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Captain Postal posted:

Have a look at reports on the physical effects to those within 10km of the thunderscreech on startup. Rotating shockwaves are not a good thing.

The best part about that is the air force pretty much told them to gently caress off and go to the desert if they wanted to do a run up.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Captain Postal posted:

This exactly. We don't have supersonic prop-driven airplanes for reasons other than "we simply aren't capable of making them."

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 17, 2011

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
Can we seriously stop posting pictures of the gore? please?

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Revolvyerom posted:

Can we seriously stop posting pictures of the gore? please?

None of it is really gore. You can tell there may be something, but it also might not be.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

VikingSkull posted:

I really wish the news and GBS posters would understand that the plane in question wasn't a P-51.
Exactly. That thing is as much a WW2 airplane as NASCAR cars are the same car you find on the Chev dealers lot.

That and ZOMG HOW ON EARTH CAN AN OLD GUY FLY A PLANE??!!

WHY DO WE HAVE AIRSHOWS!!??!!

loving MAGNETS!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

That's more then a bit hyperbolic; the part that this guy is criticizing hasn't even come up yet. It's been 99% a story of cool aircraft and cold war paranoia so far. I'll let the thread know how things turn out. The only criticism I have about it so far is occassionally the author makes little mistakes in how things are described. She talks about the Powers incident, and uses the phrase "a missile from an SA-2 fired into the air" instead of "an SA-2 missile was fired"; it's nothing big but tells me the author isn't as familiar with the subject matter as, uh, us nerds on the internet.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 18, 2011

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

The guy who said that one wing is half the size of the other wing had to be trolling. I just...he *had* to be.

In an old DnD thread about the usefulness of the F-22 and the F-35, somebody argued that the F-22 is necessary because in Vietnam America was still using *biplanes.* It turns out he meant prop planes. After having the difference explained to him, he was all "who cares, that doesn't affect my argument." :smugdog:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nebakenezzer posted:

In an old DnD thread about the usefulness of the F-22 and the F-35, somebody argued that the F-22 is necessary because in Vietnam America was still using *biplanes.* It turns out he meant prop planes. After having the difference explained to him, he was all "who cares, that doesn't affect my argument." :smugdog:

He was so close, too, because the North Vietnamese used AN-2 Colts :laugh:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

VikingSkull posted:

He was so close, too, because the North Vietnamese used AN-2 Colts :laugh:

This actually happened.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I love that crazy cold war stuff.

Here's an old Airacomet with a genuine fake prop at an airshow.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Speaking of the P-51, went to an air show today that had two of them. Old Red Nose and Ain't Misbehavin' which are two of my favorites.

and throw in a L-39 for good measure:

Still adding more over the next couple of days but had to get those up tonight at least.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

iyaayas01 posted:

This actually happened.

:stare:

Helicopters intercepting biplanes and shooting them down with small arms sounds like some sort of weird alternate-history novel.

slidebite posted:

That and ZOMG HOW ON EARTH CAN AN OLD GUY FLY A PLANE??!!

WHY DO WE HAVE AIRSHOWS!!??!!

Just seen on the stupid newsblurb thing on the online cable guide: "Air races provide thrills for pilots, but are very dangerous."

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just seen on the stupid newsblurb thing on the online cable guide: "Air races provide thrills for pilots, but are very dangerous."

drat those pilots getting their jollies at the public expense! Why can't they stop entrapping these poor audiences?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Blistex posted:

I've heard at least ten people moaning, "OH no, we lots another P-51! There are so few left!".

1. gently caress you, people died.
2. Despite a couple being lost yearly, the number of flyable P-51's is growing.
3. That P-51 was lost when some rich guy decided to ream out the engine, butcher the airframe, and enter it in "Air-Nascar". Not when it crashed.

This is why stupid people shouldn't make posts.

The ghost was a racer since 1949.

Next up we are going to be listening to loving morons talk about how Rare Bear is a sin against Bearcats and how it was lost when it was rebuilt from a crash in 1969 that left it on the side of an airfield.

And we all know what that rear end in a top hat Smokey did with all those Chevys and Nascar...

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nebakenezzer posted:

:stare:

Helicopters intercepting biplanes and shooting them down with small arms sounds like some sort of weird alternate-history novel.

The whole story is pretty nuts...if you're interested in a good read "One Day Too Long" is excellent. It covers the whole story, from the initial idea to the deployment of the radar site, the flaws with the employment, the various North Vietnamese assaults and attempts to take out the site, the final successful assault and overrun of site, and finally the egregious coverup by the U.S. government in order to preserve the secrecy (since we weren't supposed to have any military forces in Laos), which resulted in not giving survivors of the KIA the benefits they were due.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There are some people that have a bit of a grasp in reality it seems.

Great Beer posted:

Statistics to the rescue. :eng101:
In the last 15 years out of 70 air show crashes there have been six that involved fatalities to spectators. Of those, only one occurred in America (Reno) and only two of those involved more than five spectators (Renos and the one in Ukraine that killed 77). How many went on without incident are unknown but the fact remains the only people at these events in any significant risk are the pilots.
I wonder of how many orders of magnitude it is you're far more likely to get killed in a car accident going to the airshow than actually getting killed by a crash at the airshow.
Or from food poisoning eating the chili dog that's been sitting in the sun for 5 hours.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I've actually been to more car races where people in the stands got hurt by flying debris than there has been in regards to air shows in the last 30 years. I don't know what that means, but I'm sure the major racing organizations should take notice.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

I've actually been to more car races where people in the stands got hurt by flying debris than there has been in regards to air shows in the last 30 years. I don't know what that means, but I'm sure the major racing organizations should take notice.

The safety fences at all the NASCAR tracks do a great job at keeping the big pieces out of the crowd. When Edwards crashed at 'Dega only 8 spectators were treated for minor injuries. Major racing orgs have been taking notice for years due to their own crashes and spectator deaths, hence NASCAR hasn't had a spectator death ever in any of their major divisions and Indycar/CART's last spectator deaths were in '98 & '99 before tires were tethered.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Quantrill posted:

The safety fences at all the NASCAR tracks do a great job at keeping the big pieces out of the crowd. When Edwards crashed at 'Dega only 8 spectators were treated for minor injuries. Major racing orgs have been taking notice for years due to their own crashes and spectator deaths, hence NASCAR hasn't had a spectator death ever in any of their major divisions and Indycar/CART's last spectator deaths were in '98 & '99 before tires were tethered.

They never had deaths at Reno, either. It's going to happen at some track one day, maybe not the big leagues, but it's going to happen.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Just saw on the news they found some camera memory cards in the wreckage of Galloping Ghost and the NTSB are hoping there's some cockpit video on them

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ That will be interesting. Hope it's from the aircraft and not some poor bastard on the ground that got vaporized.

And the media hype/knee jerk is well under way

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110918/reno-air-race-crash-probe-110918/

Airplane had RADICAL MODIFICATIONS! :monocle:

:psyduck:

I can't wait until this dies out of the news.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

ursa_minor posted:

This exactly. We don't have supersonic prop-driven airplanes for reasons other than "we simply aren't capable of making them."

But we do have airplanes where the "normal" prop tips speeds are supersonic. The TU-95 Bear was loud enough to make chase plane pilots sick.

Mach in a prop plane is completely possible. Not sane, but within the ream of non bleeding edge engineering. Thunderscreach was just a bad way of doing it. I forgot who was trying to do it last, but I seem to recall it having a turbocharged V8 in it of some sort.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Oh, so this is where the intelligent conversation about Reno is... I know people have said it multiple times in the last couple pages but jesus christ, the amount of garbage and lack of reading comprehension in the GBS thread is loving maddening...

Anyways... carry on

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Three times a page:

The pilot was 80, he shouldn't have been flying.

The plane was from 1945, and shouldn't have been flying.

They're stupid to fly over the stands.

The plane wasn't a P51.

Repeat every third page...

Though I'll make the argument that the plane WAS a P-51 still. In more ways than the million dollar civic is. Something tells me that the tail surfaces were pretty close to stock. And I'd imagine the main spar was still original. The tailplane was pretty close to stock, given that they still were using the same trim mechanism. And still had it setup that without trim it would pitch up, hard. After seeing two of those planes do the same thing, I'd be tacking on a servo tab tonight. ... if I were a racer.

I really want to know how they did the cooling on it, given they removed the cooling scoop. I was always under the impression that the stock P51 scoop actually provided thrust. But I can also imagine that at the increased power levels, they'd need more cooling. Which loops me back around to how the hell were they managing it?

I find it interesting that they lighten the planes, then chop the wings.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Thank god the internet didn't exist when the Granville brothers were flying their Gee Bees.

After hearing all this talk about the GBS thread, I got over there to look for it, read some current thread titles and decided it would be best to stay in AI.

:allears:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://www.news.com.au/world/giffords-husband-in-lucky-escape/story-fn6sb9br-1226140441444

:psyduck:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Pride of Australia's journalism, right there.

gently caress I hate news.com.au with a seething fury.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nerobro posted:

I really want to know how they did the cooling on it, given they removed the cooling scoop. I was always under the impression that the stock P51 scoop actually provided thrust. But I can also imagine that at the increased power levels, they'd need more cooling. Which loops me back around to how the hell were they managing it?

The Ghost had water injection as cooling, and was pretty famous for the vapor trail it left behind it. The saying was if you saw a racer trailing smoke it was in trouble, if you saw the Ghost not trailing smoke it was in trouble. Although there's no real vapor trail in the videos we've seen, I don't think there was a problem with the engine.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Nerobro posted:

I'm pretty sure they use a boil off cooling system, whereby the radiator is put in a vat of coolant which heats up and boils off (giving rise to the trail of vapour you see) At the top end that they are running anything disrupting airflow will make a big difference in performance.

I've stopped reading the gbs thread the lack of understanding was monumental.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BonzoESC posted:

KLM still flies these; seen them in YYC, flown them MIA-AMS and back. They're quite nice inside.

The MD-11 by KLM - for maximum Dutch Roll!

:downsrim:

I did fly a Swiss MD11 a couple of times, once to Narita. Not what I'd call an exceptional passenger experience, other than the completely hair-raising descent (I have no idea what the gently caress ATC was doing, but it wasn't very nice) through what felt like an extremely violent thunderstorm.

Most unusual thing widebody (if there is such a thing) I've flown was the Virgin A340-600, transatlantic. It is soooo long, if you sit in the back of economy first class is somewhere over the horizon. Virgin had a very nice cabin for those when the 747s were distinctly so-so. The takeoff roll was unnervingly long. To the extent that after about 5 minutes of gentle acceleration which felt like a "fast taxi" I began to get rather concerned we were about to end up in Richmond Park.

Cygni posted:

Public perception for turboprop aircraft is also abysmal. If you've ever taken a regional hop, you're guaranteed to hear at least one person complaining that they '...have to get in THAT?! Is that SAFE?!' even if its a gorgeous new Saab 2000 or something.

I love the 2000. Flew on a crossair one years back and it was lovely. But then I like prop noise.

iyaayas01 posted:

just finished up reading Fate is the Hunter

A book filled with so many harrowing ways to die it made me glad I never finished my PPL!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

poo poo son, if it wasn't for stories like that, you'd never get comments like this:

quote:

Michael Presley of Rockwall TX Posted at 8:12 AM September 19, 2011:

Wow! You not only hired a mentally handicapped person, you actually let them write a story.

:clint:

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
haven't seen this one yet of the crash.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=68d_1316458488

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Anyone know how long it'll be before they announce some sort of plan for (if?) next year?

poo poo, if all theynsay is there'll be a bunch of planes fast-taxiing I'll buy my plane tickets, but I don't want to get stuck on vacation in Nevada if nothing's happening :(

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
I think to create some good vibes in hopes of the air races being there next year we should organize a 2012 Reno Air Races goon meet...

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

Anyone know how long it'll be before they announce some sort of plan for (if?) next year?

poo poo, if all theynsay is there'll be a bunch of planes fast-taxiing I'll buy my plane tickets, but I don't want to get stuck on vacation in Nevada if nothing's happening :(

I'd guess that it would be at least several months before they figure out anything for next year.

Aside from the NTSB investigation, I'm sure the FAA is looking for ways to "fix the problem" to try and save face over what happened, and there's also the issue of finding an insurer to underwrite any races in the future.

I was going to go this year but had a job interview instead, so if there's racing next year, I'm sure as hell going to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Holy poo poo this person needs to be called out for this article.