Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That said, we did get a few things this week. King of the Hill PVP (handy I guess, but who plays ChampO for the PVP?), the new Penthouse hideout, and until Monday there's half off the Headquarters stuff in the C-store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Penthouses is the best thing anyone at Cryptic has ever done.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Can I get some advice where to put my advantage points on a blade archetype character? I'm level 30 and have six points just burning a hole in my pocket

What I have:
Reaper's Touch (energy builder) rank 3
Reaper's Caress (damage/bleeds) rank 3
Way of the Warrior (passive offensive slotted) rank 3
Scything Blade (aoe cone) rank 2 + swallowtail cut advantage

Seriously Considering:
Form of the Swordsman (aphrodite told me not to rank this up, but I'm stumped as to where better spend my points)
Dragon's Bite

Sort of considering:
the 2 second stun advantage on my root/charge attack
the knockto advantage of my shuriken

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Ranking up form of the swordsman isn't a terrible idea, but get nailed to the ground and the stun on your Thunderbolt Lunge. the knock-to on the throwing knife is up to preference really.

Edit: A Dragon Bite is also Not Terrible. The numbers look smaller than other attacks but that's just because it's a double hit. It also gives the Rush Buff which reduces the cost of all your powers and gives some energy return.

Allatum fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 16, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Penthouses is the best thing anyone at Cryptic has ever done.
Having just peeked at it on the PTR... Wow. There's not only about a billion different decoration options, with either version, but you can change maps back to millenium city by flying off the balcony. Of course as I looked around it, I was wondering where the tailor and bank were, then I saw the button labeled "ACTIVATE!!"... :stare:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
According to Tumerboy, the designer behind the Penthouse and most of the hideouts, he wasn't even finished with it. He was planning to actually add in 2 more rooms, but had apparently gotten behind on working on the hideout's bathroom.

Which is sort of ridiculous to think, actually, because this is easily the most spacious hideout yet, not even counting the outside area.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey jjac, are you going to judge in the CC tomorrow? Figured you might want to since it was partly your idea.

Tevruden
Aug 12, 2004

Bluhman posted:

According to Tumerboy, the designer behind the Penthouse and most of the hideouts, he wasn't even finished with it. He was planning to actually add in 2 more rooms, but had apparently gotten behind on working on the hideout's bathroom.
That would totally explain this room

Meanwhile, someone stole the champions building!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If that's a bug, they should roll with it and make an event out of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan, jjac and Bluhman: I need to know your characters for tomorrow.

Everyone else: The CC is at 8 server, most likely inside Champs HQ. We got judges, but feel free to come.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

If that's a bug, they should roll with it and make an event out of it.

Pretty sure that's what happens if you get out of the standard map bounds of the Penthouse. I heard of another person doing it and mentioning how the CHQ, RenCen, and all of west side are missing. Of course, I still am not sure myself on how to do it.

I think I'll use... Avalon. I just realized my previous choice I had here was not in Supergoons. :v:

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 17, 2011

Tevruden
Aug 12, 2004

Bluhman posted:

Pretty sure that's what happens if you get out of the standard map bounds of the Penthouse. I heard of another person doing it and mentioning how the CHQ, RenCen, and all of west side are missing. Of course, I still am not sure myself on how to do it.

Yep, this. RenCen is missing the floor, and Westside and the Qularr ship are gone completely. This one doesn't require any tricks, there's a hole in the south instance wall. (It's even easier to get out of than the regular Millennium City.)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Aphrodite posted:

Maleficia, conveniently with Lightspeed as the last picked power for retconning around.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's final art up for Golden Age and Pulp.

They're awesome.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone else: The CC is at 8 server, most likely inside Champs HQ. We got judges, but feel free to come.

Sigmund, most likely. I'll try to whip up an appropriately-themed costume this time though.

EDIT:

jjac fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 17, 2011

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I feel so out of place in town. I can't come up with weird costumes so I just wear normal clothes. And then stand next to a tall, glowing demon guy with wings.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Incoming trainwreck.

Nobody is coming to the CC.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Goddamnit, on my way. Internet connection poo poo the bed.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry, I got caught up in other stuff tonight. :saddowns: Probably best that I didn't make any promises to show, considering.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So if we do another, I was thinking we combine the existing popular categories.

For example "Sexy Tech", "Cute Intimidating", "Fantasy Oddball", "Retro Creature" and of course "Best Worst."

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

So if we do another, I was thinking we combine the existing popular categories.

For example "Sexy Tech", "Cute Intimidating", "Fantasy Oddball", "Retro Creature" and of course "Best Worst."

I of course love this idea. Shorter category names also means we won't have to link to the forums constantly.

Just make sure not to advertise like a week in advance. I don't think many people liked that. Hell, the standard's usually 3-2 hours in advance, and that gives plenty of time for contestants to tweak outfits.

Or not tweak them as they horribly misconstrue our categories. :mmmhmm:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, I figure I just say something a few days in advance to get the time, since our hours to get a bunch of us on are limited. No real details until just before though.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
As I mentioned briefly in-game the other day, I think we need to petition Cryptic for a Kirby-based energy projection powerset. How dare they give us Kirby Flight and nothing else!

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

As I mentioned briefly in-game the other day, I think we need to petition Cryptic for a Kirby-based energy projection powerset. How dare they give us Kirby Flight and nothing else!

My mind blanked for a moment and I imagined a powerset where you suck up enemies and either gain their powers, or shoot them at other enemies as a star.

Tbh, I don't know what would be more rad, that one or the one you were proposing.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I just started playing as a silly man who dresses like a bird and calls himself Night Owl, and I'm completely overwhelmed by the whole Arms/Mysticism/Science thing. I chose the Blade archetype so I figured I should choose Arms, but then it asked me to specialize, and I'm kind of lost. Can someone give me a starter course on how to learn new skills and improve them?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I just started playing as a silly man who dresses like a bird and calls himself Night Owl, and I'm completely overwhelmed by the whole Arms/Mysticism/Science thing. I chose the Blade archetype so I figured I should choose Arms, but then it asked me to specialize, and I'm kind of lost. Can someone give me a starter course on how to learn new skills and improve them?

Tradeskills are really pretty much all the same, and will rarely have any use to you other than making some bags and consumable items. Specialties beyond that are literally identical and pretty much only for limited RP value.

If you're really curious, the main difference is the most common stats from each set. Off the top of my head, Arms has some more CON and STR, for instance, and Mysticism has some PRE. You can see the details from one of the tradeskill trainer questions, but Arms will be your best bet as Blade either way.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Arms/mysticism/science determine which end-game crafted costume pieces you can unlock.

Subspecialization determines which action figures you can unlock through crafting. Basically, don't sweat it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The choice of crafting type does determine the stats on the items you'll make, admittedly; Arms is a little heavier focused on Strength, and so on. In practice though you'll never use any items you make because the gear you can make will generally be two thirds as good as what you find from drops or quests, so all you'll ever really use will be endgame costume unlocks and stuff. So!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Asimo posted:

The choice of crafting type does determine the stats on the items you'll make, admittedly; Arms is a little heavier focused on Strength, and so on. In practice though you'll never use any items you make because the gear you can make will generally be two thirds as good as what you find from drops or quests, so all you'll ever really use will be endgame costume unlocks and stuff. So!

That's not really true, though. If you keep your tradeskill a bit ahead of your level (i.e.: pretty much all the time unless you're in the 2-3 levels before you can upgrade your cap), you can make some real good equal-level pieces, especially the customisable ones. But yeah, that'll always be one or two items max at any time.

And drops or quest upgrades aren't really that common, compared to the amount of garbage stuff you'll end up researching or selling. On Purple Haze, I've been getting maybe one upgrade every 2 full vendorloads of 18-slot bags for the whole of L24-32. And it's not like END/REC are hard stats to come by. So crafting upgrades do happen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For specializations, always choose Alien Metabolism/Biology, Avatars and Exposures.

Those 3 are in RenCen so you don't have to go to the dumb far ones.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Jan posted:

That's not really true, though. If you keep your tradeskill a bit ahead of your level (i.e.: pretty much all the time unless you're in the 2-3 levels before you can upgrade your cap), you can make some real good equal-level pieces, especially the customisable ones. But yeah, that'll always be one or two items max at any time.

And drops or quest upgrades aren't really that common, compared to the amount of garbage stuff you'll end up researching or selling. On Purple Haze, I've been getting maybe one upgrade every 2 full vendorloads of 18-slot bags for the whole of L24-32. And it's not like END/REC are hard stats to come by. So crafting upgrades do happen.
Eh, I've never had an issue with drops outside of some really odd experimental super-stat pairings. Sure 95% of it won't be of any use, but you'll be getting dozens of drops and there'll inevitably be something you can use if your quest rewards don't cover a slot. Which goes back to the larger thing with with ChampO, in that gear in general while leveling is not really that big a deal. It's not even that big a deal in the endgame, even if there's some actual upgrades there. It just isn't a very hard game.

That said there's no real reason not to level crafting skills. It won't do a lot for you, but you'd just have a bunch of trash you'd need to sell anyway, so you might as well do something useful with it. And there's occasionally good things there; if you're a new account you can probably get a dozen different weapon skin unlocks by making gear, for example.

Aphrodite posted:

For specializations, always choose Alien Metabolism/Biology, Avatars and Exposures.

Also, do this. :ssh: The specializations are purely cosmetic anyway, so why add hassle?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I'm really taking a liking to this game. I didn't think the novelty of running around in a silly costume and throwing random street objects at bad guys would last this long.

Aphrodite posted:

Is there a big difference between the specializations? I took Martial Styles or whatever it was and I'd like to know if it's worth it to lose the ~50 points of progress I made in it to switch to Aliens.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They are completely identical except for item names (Stats are identical, names are not), the 3 Action Figures they can make, and trainer location.

It's probably not worth dropping the points, it's just annoying to head over.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

They are completely identical except for item names (Stats are identical, names are not), the 3 Action Figures they can make, and trainer location.

It's probably not worth dropping the points, it's just annoying to head over.

On the other hand, you can max out tradeskills without ever visiting a specialty trainer. Of particular interest are the customisable secondary items that cost 1 component to make and research to that same component. :laugh:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Where can I go to find out what the different buffs do? I have the option to upgrade my energy building attack to grant me the Focus and Accelerated Metabolism buffs, but I haven't a clue what either of them do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Accelerated Metabolism is a small energy gain with a big cooldown. It's never worth it.

Focus is a damage buff.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Generally, upgrading your EB is a bum deal. Save your advantage points for ranks of your passive, travel powers, any unique qualitative-change advantages (keep an eye out for Swallowtail Cut, you want that one), and after that ranks of your best AoE and single-target DPS moves.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Haven't played this since beta, going to try out the free to play this week. Is there any broken classes to stay away from, or any OP classes to flock towards?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Nissir posted:

Haven't played this since beta, going to try out the free to play this week. Is there any broken classes to stay away from, or any OP classes to flock towards?

Uh, pretty much all "classes" are bad compared to freeform.

Glacier is well rounded though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Is there a way to make a freeform necromancer/pet class that is good at soloing? Or should I stick with something simple like a melee dps class?