Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

http://www.landscapegb.com/2011/06/colour-film-comparison-pt-3/

http://www.landscapegb.com/2011/05/kodaks-new-portra-400-film/

I took a normally exposed photo with it and was able to turn it down and get pretty, normally exposed sunlit cloud highlights

I just wish the grain was a little smaller and/or the film was a little higher resolution so I could use it for wonderful landscapes (it may have been my technique the first time, but Ektar 100 seems much higher-res when I took a photo of the same scene later)

19 stops, really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Issue semi-related to film development: I seem to have dropped my thermometer and bubbles have appeared in the fluid, making it hard to read exactly. Smacking it against a wall has removed two of the bubbles, but there's still three left. Does anyone have suggestions to fix it, or is it a lost cause? (Sucks to be me.)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Try getting it as hot as possible.

e: http://www.novalynx.com/reference-rejoining.html
http://forums.homesciencelab.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=212

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I made a mistake with some film. I had been shooting Portra 400 and then it ran out so I used some Portra 160 VC since I was all out of 400 filmes. However, for my first seven shots I realize I had metered them at ISO400 not 160, so they are going to be 1.5 stops underexposed.

I have not taken any shots since.

Because this is a Hasselblad and I only get 12 shots per roll, should I:

- shoot the remaining frames at the correct exposure at ISO 160
- shoot the remaining frames at the same exposure of IS400 and have the lab pull them?
- chuck the whole roll and have better luck next time

What are your thoughts. I'm tempted to just chuck the whole roll. If I just do the remaining 5 the lab will still charge it as a whole roll.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mannequin posted:

I made a mistake with some film. I had been shooting Portra 400 and then it ran out so I used some Portra 160 VC since I was all out of 400 filmes. However, for my first seven shots I realize I had metered them at ISO400 not 160, so they are going to be 1.5 stops underexposed.

- shoot the remaining frames at the same exposure of IS400 and have the lab pull them?

What are your thoughts. I'm tempted to just chuck the whole roll. If I just do the remaining 5 the lab will still charge it as a whole roll.

Shoot the rest at 160 and develop it normally. You might be able to recover the 7 shots in LR.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Shoot the rest at the correct iso. 1.5 stops isn't horrific. The underexposed shots will probably have a slightly odd color response, contrast, and be a bit grainy, but should otherwise be perfectly fine. I have a few shots taken on 160vc that weren't exposed correctly that I'll post later when I'm on my other comp.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Mannequin posted:

Why would you throw it away? 1.5 stops isn't that much, negative film can usually handle that just fine. You could probably get away with just shooting the remainder at 160 and don't tell them to pull it, unless it's something critical.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

nielsm posted:

Issue semi-related to film development: I seem to have dropped my thermometer and bubbles have appeared in the fluid, making it hard to read exactly. Smacking it against a wall has removed two of the bubbles, but there's still three left. Does anyone have suggestions to fix it, or is it a lost cause? (Sucks to be me.)

You're going to have to spend half an hour swinging it vigorously, but you can recover a thermometer from any amount of bubbling with enough time and effort. When I got my Minox daylight developing tank, the whole thing was a dotted line with a few bubbles in the bulb, and because I like old original stuff, I took the time and got it back to normal. Seems to still measure correctly, too.

atomicthumbs posted:

http://www.landscapegb.com/2011/06/colour-film-comparison-pt-3/

http://www.landscapegb.com/2011/05/kodaks-new-portra-400-film/

I took a normally exposed photo with it and was able to turn it down and get pretty, normally exposed sunlit cloud highlights

I just wish the grain was a little smaller and/or the film was a little higher resolution so I could use it for wonderful landscapes (it may have been my technique the first time, but Ektar 100 seems much higher-res when I took a photo of the same scene later)
Thanks, they linked to the one I was thinking of, but that's even better.
http://www.twinlenslife.com/2010/12/in-bleak-midwinter-new-kodak-portra400.html

I wanted to take some snaps of an event at work and I could only get decent shutter speeds at 1600, and even with steady hands, 1/30 on a 75mm lens is really pushing it so I hope they came out well.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
This is what Portra 400 looked like for me rating it 2.5 stops under at night:

And 2.5 under in the daytime :downs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/crooked_style/6031735662/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Heating worked perfectly, thanks!

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I found some camera at a garage sale for $5.

The labeling says Kalimar RX-7. I can't find anything about that specific model online and it doesn't seem to match up specs-wise with any of the other Kalimar cameras I'm seeing.

It has a non-removable 50mm 1.6f prime lens on it. You can adjust the aperture by twisting the base of the lens.

Anyone know what the heck this thing is? I assume it takes 35mm film, I want to give it a try.

I'll get a photo in a sec...

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 19, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep going at 160 for the remaining shots!

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

ashgromnies posted:

I found some camera at a garage sale for $5.

The labeling says Kalimar RX-7. I can't find anything about that specific model online and it doesn't seem to match up specs-wise with any of the other Kalimar cameras I'm seeing.

It has a non-removable 50mm 1.6f prime lens on it. You can adjust the aperture by twisting the base of the lens.

Anyone know what the heck this thing is? I assume it takes 35mm film, I want to give it a try.

I'll get a photo in a sec...

It's probably the same as the Time Magazine camera (look that up, see if it looks similar), whose lens is actually f/6. Think of it as a toy camera for a lot less than what Urban Outfitters would charge.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Here are a couple of shots at a brewery from the last of my Kodachrome 64:

Rest of the set here (120 is E100G)

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
I just got back from a 6 week trip to Europe finishing up an assignment and taking some personal time to shoot almost 40 rolls of tri-x.

Here are a few results from the Rome portion of my trip, all scans from prints.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Cross-postin' from SAD.

The Wall by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

looks better bigger

This is stitched from three shots on Ektar 100. I used my Mamiya 645 with the 150mm f/2.8 lens at f/22.

Ektar has really good resolution: this is a 100% crop of the family at the top of the hill on the right.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 20, 2011

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

Cross-postin' from SAD.

looks better bigger

This is stitched from three shots on Ektar 100. I used my Mamiya 645 with the 150mm f/2.8 lens at f/22.

Ektar has really good resolution: this is a 100% crop of the family at the top of the hill on the right.
That's a pretty drat awesome panorama!

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

Cross-postin' from SAD.

looks better bigger

Thats pretty awesome. You should see this in the dictionary when you look up Golden Hour :p

Do you have any tips for shooting panos with film?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Stregone posted:

Thats pretty awesome. You should see this in the dictionary when you look up Golden Hour :p

Do you have any tips for shooting panos with film?

I don't see why it would be any different than with digital; stop down, line up with levels, keep the exposure the same, and overlap when panning.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just bought a whole bunch of film with some friends. Now our fridges are really stocked full of film.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well, I did it. I took a Zorki 4 body and put it on Zorki-4K guts. So now I have a Zorki-4K with strap lugs. It wasn't that hard. I messed up a bit in that I broke the self-timer screw off so now there's no way to cock the timer lever, but I never use it anyway so it's not a big loss. Maybe some time in the future I'll do it again with another 4k. If anyone else is thinking of doing this, it's a matter of taking off the screws around the rim of the body, two screws on the front, removing the self-timer lever, loosening the mount ring (don't lose those brass shims!) and cracking off the front. The big trick is that the self-timer lever screw is reverse threaded, which is hosed up because it's normally threaded on the Zorki-4. You don't have to remove the self-timer starter button above the lever.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

If I want to push a roll of fuji color iso400 to iso1600. Do I need to tell walgreens/cvs when they develop anything?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I asked them to push at wallgreens once and I got a blank expression back. I convinced them i knew how to run their C-41 machine and got behind the counter. after a bunch of button mashing (making sure not to change settings) - i don't think some, if not most, drugstore machines have the ability to push...

(a minute of button mashing made the guy a little suspicious and he eventually booted me from behind the counter :( )

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

daspope posted:

If I want to push a roll of fuji color iso400 to iso1600. Do I need to tell walgreens/cvs when they develop anything?

Even a couple of the "pro" photo labs around town won't push color film, let alone a 1-hour place. I have to drive to a place 30 minutes away if I want to get pushed color film processed.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Thanks and oh well. I'll just shoot some expired Ilford B&W 400 and push it to 1600 then. I finally found a place in town that does good c41 at least. Last time I tried CVS and half of my images are green tinted and have scanner lines.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you can, try and push fresh film. Expired film has more fog which will interfere with your underexposed image.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I, uh, got into an argument with the test roll I ran through my new P67 (It's awesome!!!), and ended up developing it in a pile inside my tank. Don't do that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Reichstag posted:

I, uh, got into an argument with the test roll I ran through my new P67 (It's awesome!!!), and ended up developing it in a pile inside my tank. Don't do that.

Hahaha, I know that feeling. My bathroom/darkroom in Florida would get pretty hot in the summer, and 120 could be pretty tricky to load sometimes. Usually I just chuck it in the tank, close it, and come back in an hour or two when I've calmed down to start over.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

Ammunition!

A friend gave me this FREE last night. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA THE POWERRRRRRRR.
(Although apparently it has all been sitting in her car trunk for ~5 years, so I expect some funky color shifts, but MAN OH MAN!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Reichstag posted:

Congrats on the new camera. These days, when I just want results (on film), the P67 is the first thing I reach for. If you have a chance, grab a P67 55/4. It's the best wide lens I've ever used. The 45/4 is great and really wide if that's your thing. The 75/4.5 is slow but very sharp The 150/2.8 is a simple double-gauss, cheap and good for portraits. There aren't many dogs in the lineup, and there are a lot of gems. Best part is, you can find some real bargains.

If you aren't already using them, I highly suggest getting some of the wide-flange reels. They're helpful on 35mm but they're a must-have for 120. Also, try hitting the reels with a blowdryer before you load to make sure they're bone dry. The film will pick up any moisture that's there.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you aren't already using them, I highly suggest getting some of the wide-flange reels. They're helpful on 35mm but they're a must-have for 120. Also, try hitting the reels with a blowdryer before you load to make sure they're bone dry. The film will pick up any moisture that's there.

as someone who stores his reels in a sink, this seems like a super idea. thanks

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Paul MaudDib posted:

Congrats on the new camera. These days, when I just want results (on film), the P67 is the first thing I reach for. If you have a chance, grab a P67 55/4. It's the best wide lens I've ever used. The 45/4 is great and really wide if that's your thing. The 75/4.5 is slow but very sharp The 150/2.8 is a simple double-gauss, cheap and good for portraits. There aren't many dogs in the lineup, and there are a lot of gems. Best part is, you can find some real bargains.

I use the Arista Premium wide-flanges already, but they're 4 years old now and wobbly, which I think was the cause of the initial problem. The subsequent hour of frustration was all humidity, and compounding problems (bent edges lead the bent middles etc).
This is what most of the frames look like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/crooked_style/6171870116/

It came with the SMC (last generation) 165/2.8, which is great for portraits, but I'm definitely gonna need to pick up something wider. Also, it came with the TTL prism, and it seems to be perfectly accurate, which rules.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Ugh I really want a Pentax 6x7... But I've not convinced myself I'd use it enough yet, or seen a good enough one for sale over here.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I managed to snatch a P67 for $300 with a 105 2.4, but due to mirror problems the seller backed on the deal and sent it for repairs. Sad. I'll be sticking with my yashica-mat for now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Ugh I really want a Pentax 6x7... But I've not convinced myself I'd use it enough yet, or seen a good enough one for sale over here.

Get a K1000 and figure out if you like it, it's EXACTLY like that. In general medium format has slower lenses, the focal lengths are longer so the (1/focal length) rule screws you a bit, and the P67 has an issue with mirror vibration. The negatives are great and produce much better results on consumer scanners than 35mm does (the details are larger). It's a bit of trouble, but it's worth it.

Practice wide-aperture handheld shooting (get some 50 or 25 film or a 2-stop ND filter to make it a bit more realistic), you'll get low depth of field to simulate the larger format and it keeps the shutter speeds up. To be safe, if I'm just shooting around I keep it at 1/125 for the 105mm. You'll be fine at 1/60 if you lock your mirror up (this was either 1/60 or 1/125 with MLU on the 55/4), but to be safe I try to stay out of the range where mirror vibration could potentially occur. Other differences are you only get 10 shots per roll (20 on 220), it's super big and heavy, and the lenses are slow. If you can deal with a manual focus 35mm camera under those conditions you can do a P67.

I feel like I'm making it sound horrible, it's not. In fact, it's my favorite camera. It's a great camera to shoot handheld with, and it's the biggest camera that follows the "35mm SLR" pattern of operation.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 22, 2011

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Get a K1000 and figure out if you like it, it's EXACTLY like that. Practice wide-aperture handheld shooting (get some 50 or 25 film or a 2-stop ND filter to make it a bit more realistic), you'll get low depth of field to simulate the larger format and it keeps the shutter speeds up. To be safe, if I'm just shooting around I keep it at 1/125 for the 105mm. You'll be fine at 1/60 if you lock your mirror up (this was either 1/60 or 1/125 with MLU on the 55/4), but to be safe I try to stay out of the range where mirror vibration could potentially occur. Other differences are you only get 10 shots per roll (20 on 220), it's super big and heavy, and the lenses are slow. If you can deal with a manual focus 35mm camera under those conditions you can do a P67.

I feel like I'm making it sound horrible, it's not. It's a great camera to shoot handheld with, and it's the biggest camera that follows the "35mm SLR" pattern of operation. But in general medium format has slower lenses, the focal lengths are longer so the (1/focal length) rule screws you a bit, and the P67 has that mirror issue. The negatives are great and produce much better results on consumer scanners than 35mm does (the details are larger). It's a bit of trouble, but it's worth it.

Well I already shoot film with a FM2n and I don't have any problems handholding at 1/15th with either a 50mm or in very rare cases, a 105mm. So I don't think I'd have too many issues with the faster shutter speeds. Either I'll be shooting near wide open during the day (the depth of field is part of the appeal after all) or I'll be using a tripod at night.

I also don't think the lower shot counts would be a problem, far from it, these days I have trouble finishing off a single roll of 135-36 quickly, so if anything it's an advantage and one of the weird reasons I liked the idea of playing with MF in the first place.

It's just finding one in good condition in the UK seems pretty tough (I've been burnt enough to be very risk averse too)...

I'm also supposed to be saving my money for a full frame Nikon... Ugh, photography.

But out of all the MF cameras out there, the p67's really hit the right notes to me. Besides anything else, 6x7 is to 6x6 what 11 is to 10.

l33tc4k30fd00m fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 23, 2011

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

But out of all the MF cameras out there, the p67's really hit the right notes to me. Besides anything else, 6x7 is to 6x6 what 11 is to 10.

If you don't like square format, 6x6 is just a 6x4.5 that you lose 25% of your shots on. 6x7 is a pretty exact fit to 8x10, and it's like 2x as big as 6x4.5. I just got a 6x4.5 folder and it seems kinda small in comparison.

Slow handholding skills help with the 1/fl rule, but the P67 supposedly has a shutter vibration that makes shooting at like 1/2-1/30 a bad idea. I have a couple rolls from my vacation coming back where I shot stopped down at 1/4 a lot, we'll see if it really is an issue or not. I think part of it is people not locking the mirror up. That does make a difference, the mirror is very poorly damped. You just get used to flicking the MLU then hitting the shutter. I can do it in like 1/4-1/2 second, it's not a big deal.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 23, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
6x6 is neither better nor worse than the other formats. It is different. It requires a different composition mindset. It's one of those things that you have to get used to. Part of the problem is that we as photographers are trained to look for things with longer aspect ratios because that's all we know. Once you start working with square format more, you start looking for squares more naturally.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Well what I mean is, 6x7 is more. 6x6 is the only format I've shot medium format film in anyway and I never really found it problematic or annoying in any way. But I guess 6x7 just sound nicer to have.

I have heard of the vibration issues with the shutter, but I figure I'll be able to handle 1/60th if I can handle 1/15th with a 35mm. Of course I'm just guessing.

Also when I was a complete beginniner I had my 450D with mirror lock up on for a few days, and it wasn't that bad, just pointless. So it sounds reasonable to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I love my 6x6 cameras. I love everything about the square format. Sometimes I just feel like composing in rectangles though.

I'm in the process of obtaining a Pentax 6x7 since 645 just wasn't doing it for me. I fully plan to carry my Hasselblad and the Pentax when out landscaping so that I have options.