Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

22 Eargesplitten posted:

He's talking about the woman in the giant explosion. Probably still wrong, but not "groping an underaged girl" wrong.

That would be "groping an underage girl who is genetically your twin sister" wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is X23 his clone? I thought they were just part of the same project. To be honest, I don't keep track of stuff like that. They can't even keep Wolverine's name the same.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is X23 his clone? I thought they were just part of the same project. To be honest, I don't keep track of stuff like that. They can't even keep Wolverine's name the same.

If I remember right, yes she is. Sorta.

They tried making new Weapon-Xs, but they kept failing until someone got a hold of a vial full of original Wolverine blood.

The sample was incomplete or something so the lead scientist mixed in some of her own DNA to complete it, so X23 came out as a girl instead of a perfect copy of Logan.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 19, 2011

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

X-23 really is one of those concepts that is such a transparent attempt at marketing it's almost insulting, but is actually quite enjoyable as a character when you realize the writers don't write her as "Logan with tits."

Like most distaff counterparts actually...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm extremely rusty on my X-Men lore, but wasn't the only reason why Wolverine ever became Weapon X in the first place was because his healing factor let him survive the process? And even then, it drat near killed him. There was no shortage of quick-healing mutants in X Continuity last I checked, though :psyduck:

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm extremely rusty on my X-Men lore, but wasn't the only reason why Wolverine ever became Weapon X in the first place was because his healing factor let him survive the process? And even then, it drat near killed him. There was no shortage of quick-healing mutants in X Continuity last I checked, though :psyduck:

The only two that I can think of, aside from Logan, that they had access to were Deadpool and Sabertooth. Deadpool was considered a failure but why they didn't try with Sabertooth is a bit of a mystery. Maybe they just couldn't locate him at the time?All the others that have popped up since then they probably don't know about or can't get to.

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity

FutureBoy posted:

The only two that I can think of, aside from Logan, that they had access to were Deadpool and Sabertooth. Deadpool was considered a failure but why they didn't try with Sabertooth is a bit of a mystery. Maybe they just couldn't locate him at the time?All the others that have popped up since then they probably don't know about or can't get to.

IIRC, Creed was next in line for the adamantium grafting treatment after Wolverine, but Wolverine smashed up the place after he was done and killed some important staff. Victor left the project afterwards, also partly because he realised that adamantium grafts would slow his healing factor.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DurianGray posted:

Pretty sure that's Domino, actually. She's got the dark mark on her one eye. And guns. Lots of guns.

I'm fine with him groping Domino. Groping X-23 is weird. It'd be like masturbation, wouldn't it?

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Yeah, I was referring to the explosion pic when I said I think that's X23. Sorry, didn't mean to start a whole derail about clone loving.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

X-23 really is one of those concepts that is such a transparent attempt at marketing it's almost insulting, but is actually quite enjoyable as a character when you realize the writers don't write her as "Logan with tits."

Like most distaff counterparts actually...

The entire reason X-23 exists is so Wolverine fans could finally jerk off to him.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Yeah, I was referring to the explosion pic when I said I think that's X23. Sorry, didn't mean to start a whole derail about clone loving.

Oops, I think that may have been partially my fault. :downs: I didn't even notice anything but skeletons in the explosion picture, so I assumed you meant the other.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The entire reason X-23 exists is so Wolverine fans could finally jerk off to him.

There's lonely neckbeards who've gotten off to Transformers, what makes you think a short, alcoholic Canadian will be any obstacle to them? :gonk::fh:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, I used to think that about X-23 Rhyno but I honestly don't think the kinds of fans willing to jerk off to a distaff Logan had much of a problem with weird Rule 63 stuff about Logan before X-23, and I don't think she was the solution that already creepy segment of the fanbase was looking for although she did probably legitimize it in the eyes of a few who were on the fence.

I really do think she was made to boost the female X-roster without breaking the most successful formula of "loner cipher + amnesia + dangerous power + constant angst/pain" and sell a few more action figures to little kids who didn't know any better. The Rule 63 crowd was just a "if this works and the pedo-neckbeards with weird crushes on Logan latch onto her, we'll make some more money; if it doesn't... well at least we weren't directly targeting them" fringe benefit in my eyes, though I'd hate to be proven wrong.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

FutureBoy posted:

They actually did this in Ultimate X-Men, Sabretooth got the same treatment (except he had four claws). He also claimed to be Wolverine's son. Both of these were quickly forgotten and ignored by every subsequent writer.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think Sabretooth claiming to be Wolverine's son was a take on the old Sabretooth claiming to be Wolverine's father thing in the 616,

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Wasn't x-23 first introduced in a children's cartoon, and she was so popular they added her to 616?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Yeah, she was in X-men: Evolution first. She's like the Marvel Harley Quinn

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I thought her first appearance was in NYX?

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Yeah, she was in X-men: Evolution first. She's like the Marvel Harley Quinn

That means Kevin Smith will name his next kid X-23.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I thought her first appearance was in NYX?

Nah, that's her comic debut.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

I really like this spread, other than Valkyrie's hammer's head being almost entirely out of frame. The whole thing is pure cheesecake, but it feels and looks fairly decently researched.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'm... really not sure what to think about Lady Red Skull there. :stare:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Also personifying war as a beautiful, angelic woman is kinda creepy. Unless that's a character named war or something I don't know, I don't really read superhero comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Humboldt squid posted:

Also personifying war as a beautiful, angelic woman is kinda creepy. Unless that's a character named war or something I don't know, I don't really read superhero comics.

Its actually from Norse Mythology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie

If you mean that statue hey death is a woman and it is a cheesecake picture. Also Athena was goddess of war and she was known for her beauty.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 20, 2011

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

For a cheesecake, and especially for a Cho, picture they're pretty fully dressed. But Frank Cho is so great at realistic anatomy that I don't mind his cheesecake most of the time.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Humboldt squid posted:

Also personifying war as a beautiful, angelic woman is kinda creepy.

I think war being creepy is a good feeling to invoke.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
For a cheesecakey picture, they have good arms, not horrible skinny sticks like you often see, and that's appreciated at least.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It's nice to see guns that are actually gun-shaped and sized for once.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm... really not sure what to think about Lady Red Skull there. :stare:

That's a real character FYI.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

That's a real character FYI.

But...why?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wendell posted:

But...why?

It's his daughter and he's dead.

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity

Rhyno posted:

She exists because marvel execs bugged the creators of the X-Men evolution cartoon to feature 'more wolverine' but they wanted to keep the focus purely on the young teenage X-men. Due to the fact the cast was pretty Male heavy, they created X-23 to be the wolverine analogue for the younger mutants and she proved popular enough to later carry over to the comics.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wendell posted:

But...why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_(Marvel_Comics)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

She was actually pretty cool, too, until Fear Itself.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Is that when she got ugly She-Skull face? I remember liking her character--not loving, but liking--during Brubaker's run on Cap around the Winter Soldier stuff. Haven't really kept up since then. What the hell happened? She went from being a fairly standard but engaging tragic evil action chick to the 616's biggest butterface.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Bucky blew up a mechanical Red Skull, which destroyed her face. I think.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Finally I can now jerk off to Wolverine AND Red Skull without feeling bad!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Finally I can now jerk off to Wolverine AND Red Skull without feeling bad!

She is still a nazi and has no face

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

She is still a nazi and has no face
It's a hate rub.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

It's a hate rub.

So a Rusty Venture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Post a lot more good/bad art and a lot less "joking" about how people jerk off to fictitious characters, especially underage ones.