Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
What's the context of that goofball picture of Rivers? Did someone just catch him at the right time, or was he watching a clown or something?

I now see he's in uniform in the picture, so it must have been at a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

What's the context of that goofball picture of Rivers? Did someone just catch him at the right time, or was he watching a clown or something?

I now see he's in uniform in the picture, so it must have been at a game.

I think that may have been during a Broncos game, so watching a clown wouldn't be too far off.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vander posted:

Well now I'm confused: What does the defense do to 'line up illegally'?

The neutral zone is the length of the football, theoretically there should be nothing in there except the center's hand. So if you're not on your own side of where the ball was when it was spotted you're in the neutral zone and can be flagged.

Generally it's not a problem for the offense since everyone lines up of off the center, but I suppose if someone lined up way out of position it would be a flag on the offense.

Another instance where you might hear neutral zone infraction is when a defender jumps into the neutral zone but comes back to his own side of the ball, but the movement makes the offense jump. It used to be a false start until (I think this is generally agreed on) Neil Smith started doing it all the damned time. Then they changed the rule to where if the defense comes into the neutral zone before a false start the penalty is on the defense.

e: Now that I think about it lining up in the neutral zone is usually called "Defense offside, ## lined up in the neutral zone." Neutral zone infraction is specific to the forcing the offense to jump I believe.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 20, 2011

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The terminology differs depending on which rulebook you're using; just about the only thing they do agree on is that when it appears, it's always "offside" in the singular.

NFL: "Offside" is when a player is in the neutral zone at the snap, or a defender goes right through and is unabated to the quarterback (or any player is past their restraining line on a free kick). "Encroachment" is when a player enters the neutral zone and makes contact with an opponent. "Neutral zone infraction" is when a defender enters the neutral zone and causes an offensive player to react without contacting him.

NCAA: "Offside" covers all three fouls described above when committed by a defensive team player. "Encroachment" is when an offensive player lines up in the neutral zone, and it is a dead-ball foul like a false start.

NFHS: "Offside" is not used; "encroachment" covers any illegal entry into the neutral zone prior to the snap, and it is always a dead-ball foul; if a defender jumps, they aren't allowed to get back, and despite 50 years of officials calling it this way on the field, a large number of high school coaches still howl about it because it was called differently on Saturday's big TV game.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights
I've got two questions that I feel are fairly appropriate to ask here.

1.) I feel like someone (maybe Jeffersonlives?) mentioned a book about football theory/strategy and I'm looking for some light commute reading so that would be much appreciated. Either it isn't in the OP anymore or I am blind.

2.) People mentioned a place they would buy jerseys from overseas for cheap. Anyone have a link?

Thanks folks. You all rule.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Good Will Punting posted:

I've got two questions that I feel are fairly appropriate to ask here.

1.) I feel like someone (maybe Jeffersonlives?) mentioned a book about football theory/strategy and I'm looking for some light commute reading so that would be much appreciated. Either it isn't in the OP anymore or I am blind.

2.) People mentioned a place they would buy jerseys from overseas for cheap. Anyone have a link?
1. I asked the same questions a few weeks back and came back with recommendations for "Football Scouting Methods" by Steve Belichick (Bill's father) and "Finding the Winning Edge" by Brian Billick and Bill Walsh, which is out of print. Just started on the Belichick one and it's pretty fantastic so far.

2. yukijersey.com or toonjersey.com. They're both the same outfit under different names.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Besides Football Scouting Methods, I would recommend some of the Coach of the Year Clinics, and books specifically aimed at coaches if you think your knowledge is up to par to understand the terminology.

I wouldn't really buy anything written by a sportswriter or journalist. I know Pat Kirwan has a book, which might not be totally awful, but it also might be aimed more towards completely casual fans so I wouldn't expect any great breakdowns in it.

Here is a good book written by the great Tubby Raymond regarding his area of offensive expertise...

http://www.amazon.com/Delaware-Wing-T-Passing-Science-Coaching/dp/1585182028/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316567026&sr=8-2

Here's something on pass defense that I've heard good things about
http://www.amazon.com/Coaching-Pattern-Read-Coverage-Tom-Olivadotti/dp/1606790463/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316567206&sr=1-15

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Yeah, this is what I wrote the last time it came up:

jeffersonlives posted:

I've seen books like the AFCA manuals and Coach of the Year clinic stuff show up at bookstores, hit and miss of course. Pat Kirwan put out a book a few months ago in a similar vein to the Layden book that is supposedly a lot better, but I haven't had a chance to look at it.

Someone really needs to write an entry-level strategy book that doesn't suck. Hell, maybe Kirwin did, I still haven't read it.

The Education of a Coach by David Halberstam gets into a lot of strategy and such in between fellating Bill Belichick. It's a great book.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Thanks for all the suggestions! (Un)luckily I spend 3 hours a day commuting so I've got quite a bit of time to read these.

The Kirwan book actually did look somewhat worthwhile for me. I consider myself only slightly above beginner level, and paging through the preview on Amazon there were some diagrams/excerpts I found informative and new. I'll probably power through that before moving onto Scouting Methods and these CotY Clinic books, both of which look really solid post-basics. I'll let you guys know how Kirwan's is when I finish, even though I probably won't be the best judge.

Thanks for the jersey site, Ozu! Gotta get my dad into some green and yellow for our trip out to Lambeau (and probably another for myself.)

terrin
May 10, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Someone really needs to write an entry-level strategy book that doesn't suck. Hell, maybe Kirwin did, I still haven't read it.

Meh. I think it's below the level you're thinking. It's good for beginners, although at times I found him jumping around between levels of expertise so I don't think it's super well written.

edit: And by beginners I include people who have watched a whole lot of football and know alot at the spectator level but never thought to look deeper.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I just started reading Patriot Reign by Michael Holley of the Boston Globe, about the 2003-2004 Patriots, pretty enjoyable so far. I've also read Boys Will Be Boys about the 90s-era Cowboys, Keep Your Eye on the Ball by Pat Kirwan, and War Without Death (covers a season of the NFC East, I think 2007?).

What are some other good football books? The Walsh one mentioned above is very, very expensive unless you get lucky.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
How was the Kirwan read, worth it for someone just slightly above beginner level understanding? It's only $16 with the DVD from Amazon.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Pron on VHS posted:

I just started reading Patriot Reign by Michael Holley of the Boston Globe, about the 2003-2004 Patriots, pretty enjoyable so far. I've also read Boys Will Be Boys about the 90s-era Cowboys, Keep Your Eye on the Ball by Pat Kirwan, and War Without Death (covers a season of the NFC East, I think 2007?).

What are some other good football books? The Walsh one mentioned above is very, very expensive unless you get lucky.
I enjoyed Jaworski's "The Games that Changed the Game," though some of the games he chooses seem kinda wonky. It is very rewarding to read about how Buddy Ryan's Bears dismantled the Cowboys though.

Also, The Blindside is good. Even if you aren't in the mood for an inspirational sports story, it's a fantastic study of some of the more subtle changes in the game over the past 30 years. The chapter about the ideological war between Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells is thrilling.

I'm currently listening to an audiobook of Mark Kriegel's biography of Joe Namath, which has a lot of cool historical stuff about the AFL and the merger.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
There are a few books I've got queued up but haven't had time to read yet. Maybe we can add a recommended reading list to the OP at some point.

I've never come across a book that gives a good general overview of football from a strategy/scheme standpoint while covering coaching points like technique, alignments, assignments etc.

There are tons of coaching books and manuals, some are great, some are garbage, so it's hard to give specific reccomendations. I know Gus Malzahn has a book out about no huddle offenses, and while he's clearly a competent and expert source of information there's no garauntee it's presented in a clear and concise manner.

Most coaching books are meant to cover a very specific area of offense/defense that the writer is familiar with, so I'd suggest looking for an area you want to learn more about and finding some books and google reviews. There might be sites like CoachHuey that have knowledgeable people commenting on the usefulness of the book.

If you really want to learn hands-on, DVR games to rewatch. I've never used NFL seasonpass or those services from NFL.com, but if they provide endzone angles (I'm guessing they don't) that would be a tremendous resource. Watching tape like you are scouting a team attunes you to specific details that are hard to catch in realtime, even for someone experienced who knows what to look for. The caveat with this, is that you need a certain level of baseline knowledge to properly breakdown a play.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
My question is then, how does a team come up with its overarching offensive plan?

If coaches are only familiar with one system, is this pretty much the guaranteed system the team will use? Are players then recruited that fit this system?

The other way around would be you use the system that relies on your players strengths. Which is typical?

I understand that Peyton would be more likely to have a system built around him than say Josh McCown, but all I remember is west coast offense being forced on the Lions for a long time and I don't really understand why.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Uncle Jam posted:

My question is then, how does a team come up with its overarching offensive plan?

If coaches are only familiar with one system, is this pretty much the guaranteed system the team will use? Are players then recruited that fit this system?

The other way around would be you use the system that relies on your players strengths. Which is typical?

I understand that Peyton would be more likely to have a system built around him than say Josh McCown, but all I remember is west coast offense being forced on the Lions for a long time and I don't really understand why.

Generally a coach will build an offense around the system he knows or was brought up under, and will try to get personnel that fit that scheme. Sometimes, though, a unique talent (like Vick or presumably Cam Newton) will fall into a coach's lap and he gets to choose between trying to pound the new guy into his system, or building a new one around that guy.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Coaches can sometimes be matched up with players, too - Bobby Petrino (boooooo) was hired by the Falcons almost exclusively because of his experience and skill with one particular type of option offense that, it was believed, Vick would thrive in.

And then Vick got busted and Petrino went down as one of the worst coaches in history.

But yeah, it's a collection of the different factors you mentioned, based on personnel, management, coaching etc. The Steelers run a defensive system that's been fairly consistent since at least the early 1990s, and they hire coaches and players based on that system. But it's not really that the ownership does it - they just keep hiring guys to fit their coaches, and coaches with a philosophy that suits their personnel, and so change happens only slowly over time. It's that sort of consistency in philosophy that lets them be a successful team, as opposed to places where everything gets blown up every offseason.

Some coaches are wedded to their system, even if it gets their quarterback killed (Mike Martz). Some guys are willing to change everything if they have the right players - if you have a guy like Chris Johnson or Ray Lewis and you don't have a scheme where they're utilized, you're a bad coach. Mike Tomlin is a strict Cover-2 guy, but he wasn't going to throw out decades of institutional learning and success when he became HC in Pittsburgh just because he knew how to operate that one specific system.

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 22, 2011

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Of course, that sort of emphasis decreases as you go down football's food chain. NFL and major college teams can afford to have a system that they fit players into because they can be reasonably sure of getting hold of players who are suited to the system physically and who can understand it. A lot of major innovation in football comes from necessity, out of being forced to cobble together a system that will best suit the players you've got at Shitkicker High School or Central Southwestern A&M because you can't just install a system and assume that players will come along who will be suited to it. The service academies don't run the option because the commandants insist they run the option for tradition's sake, they run it because it's perfect for schools who end up with a lot of small fast guys, which will always be the case as long as the services insist on only allowing officer candidates who can run 100 yards without needing oxygen.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Good Will Punting posted:

How was the Kirwan read, worth it for someone just slightly above beginner level understanding? It's only $16 with the DVD from Amazon.

It's a really good book, and great for beginners. I had posted in this thread a few months ago asking about the differences in types of defensive lineman and their responsibilities and there's whole chapter in Kirwan's book that explains it perfectly. There are chapters on nearly every offensive/defensive unit, as well as on certain other topics as how teams manage the draft, how front offices typically work, etc.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is there a website which shows how many snaps someone was on the field?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I don't watch much college ball, is the three-back pistol type offense Auburn is running an innovation, or is it considered a variation on something? What is that?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

I don't watch much college ball, is the three-back pistol type offense Auburn is running an innovation, or is it considered a variation on something? What is that?

I will confess to not having watched much Auburn this year, but I can talk about the pistol in general. The pistol guru is Chris Ault who has been at Nevada off and on since 1976. A few years ago(2009 maybe?) Nevada became the first team in NCAA history to have 3 1,000 yard rushers in the same backfield. And they achieved this before Thanksgiving which is about 2 weeks before the season ends. Not many other teams run a the pistol as a true offense like Nevada does, although UCLA has been trying with little success.

As far as it being an innovation again I honestly can't say since I haven't watched much Auburn, but I doubt it is that different from what Nevada does. To go on a sidebar innovation is a great thing about college football. In the NFL the offense(and defenses to a lesser degree) are all but identical. Yes individual coaches put their own spin on it, and you do see some innovation like the Wildcat in Miami, but little that is truly different. In college it is a different story. There are so many different styles of offense it is staggering. You have true spread air raids like Houston, the aforementioned pistol at Nevada, triple option teams in GT and the academies, spread option teams like Oregon, power running teams like Wisconsin, and traditional pro set offenses like Alabama. That variety is something I personally really like about the college game.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

drunk leprechaun posted:

As far as it being an innovation again I honestly can't say since I haven't watched much Auburn, but I doubt it is that different from what Nevada does.

Thanks a lot for this. If I'm remembering right Auburn ran a lot of plays that looked like this:

code:

WR      OL OL OL OL OL     WR

FB 
        RB1   QB 

RB2

where RB1 would run a jet sweep right and RB2 would run between the tackles, sort of like the wildcat. The fullback was directly in front of the RB2 to the quarterback's right and would lead block or take playaction up the middle. That look familiar? It's not exactly what Wikipedia shows for the pistol, looks kind of like a pistol/wildcat hybrid to me. It looked cool anyway.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Hi im posting this int he rookie thread. Do you think i should start mike thomas, santonio holmes, nate burleson, or denarious moore opposite vincent jackson in my fanty football league. Thanks everyone.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

I Am Genderqueer. posted:

Hi im posting this int he rookie thread. Do you think i should start mike thomas, santonio holmes, nate burleson, or denarious moore opposite vincent jackson in my fanty football league. Thanks everyone.

There's actual an entire subforum dedicated to this entire subject. Go there and ask this!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Quote Originally Posted by glovedgopher View Post
Because yesterday is just further proof of how far we have sunk as a football program. I've been asking for his head for years and don't understand how anyone can back this clown. Look at our hockey, basketball and football teams and ask me how he has kept his job. Being a Gopher fan and looking for "immediate success" do not go hand and hand so spare me that line of thought please, 12th man.

The 12th Man

You are upset with a big loss and have decided to place the blame solely on the AD's shoulders. There is no point in arguing about this, since your response backs up my point. You are justifiably angry and are using the message board as a way to vent. That's fine. Just be honest with yourself.

LesBolstad

Yep, everything is Maturi's fault. Forty years of bad football; only 2 B10 men's BB/FB titles in 80 tries; the economy; unemployment; climate
change. Our programs were perfect before he came on board.

:stare:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

where RB1 would run a jet sweep right and RB2 would run between the tackles, sort of like the wildcat. The fullback was directly in front of the RB2 to the quarterback's right and would lead block or take playaction up the middle. That look familiar? It's not exactly what Wikipedia shows for the pistol, looks kind of like a pistol/wildcat hybrid to me. It looked cool anyway.

This is basically the ski-gun formation. It's a flexbone at pistol depths. Popped up a few years ago at the HS/small college level, and Georgia Tech (which runs a lot of the conventional flexbone) has been messing around with it.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

There's actual an entire subforum dedicated to this entire subject. Go there and ask this!

I figured there was but i couldn't find it thank you

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

This is basically the ski-gun formation. It's a flexbone at pistol depths. Popped up a few years ago at the HS/small college level, and Georgia Tech (which runs a lot of the conventional flexbone) has been messing around with it.

Ace, thanks. Do you think this sort of multi-back set could gain popularity in the NFL what with the rise of running back-by-committee and the hybrid slot-RB guys? Seems like a good way to involve multiple backs and take the weight off your workhorse guy.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Ace, thanks. Do you think this sort of multi-back set could gain popularity in the NFL what with the rise of running back-by-committee and the hybrid slot-RB guys? Seems like a good way to involve multiple backs and take the weight off your workhorse guy.

Definitely possible, though not for awhile.

NFL teams have definitely been incorporating spread option principles, but with the exception of Chan Gailey they've been a little hesitant to start using pistol-style concepts regularly. The NFL has generally been tracking about five or ten years behind the colleges in terms of offensive innovation, so we'll see.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

What are these tiers (1, 2 and 3) of revenue that people in the NCAA Conference Apocalypse thread keep talking about? Particularly related to TV networks.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

OperaMouse posted:

What are these tiers (1, 2 and 3) of revenue that people in the NCAA Conference Apocalypse thread keep talking about? Particularly related to TV networks.

http://sponczarrules.com/?p=98

TIER-ONE MEDIA RIGHTS

Tier-one media rights are simply “national” rights to televise games. These agreements are between a conference (or in Notre Dame’s case, a school) and one of the four major television broadcast networks (ABC/ESPN, CBS, NBC or FOX). ABC/ESPN owns the rights for each major conference except the SEC (which is owned by CBS).

TIER-TWO MEDIA RIGHTS

Games networks decide not to broadcast nationally fall to tier-two media rights. Conferences usually negotiate these rights separately, most often with cable networks, since these games generally carry only regional interest in the states that represent the conference teams (hence why they weren’t selected for national coverage).

TIER-THREE MEDIA RIGHTS

Games not selected for coverage under tier-one and tier-two rights fall to “tier-three” coverage. Tier-three media rights belong to individual schools.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

JesustheDarkLord posted:

:words:

Very clear, thanks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I just got my tickets to see the Buccs and Bears in London at the end of October: it's going to be the first game I attend since I started becoming a fan of the sport. Is there anything that I should keep an eye out for that is usually not really that evident when watching the games on TVs or any tips about what I should watch out for?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Tekopo posted:

I just got my tickets to see the Buccs and Bears in London at the end of October: it's going to be the first game I attend since I started becoming a fan of the sport. Is there anything that I should keep an eye out for that is usually not really that evident when watching the games on TVs or any tips about what I should watch out for?

Attending a game in person lets you see the entire field. Gives you a good opportunity to actually watch defensive backfield play and wr routes.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

drunk leprechaun posted:

Attending a game in person lets you see the entire field. Gives you a good opportunity to actually watch defensive backfield play and wr routes.

This, a thousand times. Don't just watch the ball like the TV camera's trained you to do, the big screen will have a replay of that, there's loads more interesting things to watch. Pick a reciever and see how he run-blocks, or goes on a decoy route when they're calling an outside run to the other side, or works to make space and get open even when he's #3 in the QB's progression. On a punt, watch the gunners and see what they do and how they're dealt with; they'll take you to the ball if you keep watching them.

Also, you know how TV timeouts are a mild annoyance? Massive loving bollock-ache when you're there. And I do mean massive. Bring a friend, or a paper if you haven't got one.

Also also, get to Wembley early and play I-Spy with all the weird and wonderful different jerseys.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Thanks for the tip about breaks. I'll probably bring a book so that I have something to do. Also, about the replay screen, I'm pretty sure Wembley doesn't have one, do they put up one for NFL games? Also, the tickets I have are on the lower level sideline nearer to one of the endzones (block 104 here. Will this give me a decent view overall?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The scoreboards are also screens. You should be okay there as long as you're not in the first few rows that aren't covered over, anything further back and you should have a reasonable bit of height.

Oh, also, don't even think about buying anything once you get inside. The FA's gotta pay their bills somehow.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Thanks for the tip about breaks. I'll probably bring a book so that I have something to do. Also, about the replay screen, I'm pretty sure Wembley doesn't have one, do they put up one for NFL games? Also, the tickets I have are on the lower level sideline nearer to one of the endzones (block 104 here. Will this give me a decent view overall?

I had seats in a very similar location when I was a junior at Michigan. Overall they were pretty drat good. Really good for plays at your end, OK for plays at the other. If you're not down too low it should be a great view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
How do you guys watch football? For years I just focused on the QB or ballcarrier, but lately I have been studying a lot of the strategy and I find it hard to pick apart the plays focusing on just one or two guys. I kind of unfocus my eyes to watch the play develop, see what the secondary is doing, etc.

Secondly, is there a blog that analyzes NFL games at a high level? I remember SmartFootball used to do game analyses, but now they seem to be running topical pieces. I'm going to grab that Game Rewind package and it would be cool to have some hardcore analysis to help me pick apart the games.

• Locked thread