Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Red_Fred posted:

What are peeps opinions on hosed Up? I'm not sure what to make of them.

Chemistry is my personal favourite. They're a blast to see live and Damian is a really, really nice dude. Even when he's bleeding/sweating on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Chemistry is my personal favourite. They're a blast to see live and Damian is a really, really nice dude. Even when he's bleeding/sweating on you.

Yeah I've seen them twice, this is pretty much the truth. They just have fun on stage (and in the crowd), no bullshit.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Holy poo poo, the new Hundredth album is amazing; I've basically had it on loop since I got it yesterday.

If you haven't heard of them, think The Ghost Inside/ Counterparts-esque, and don't be scared away by them being a "Christian" band, there are no Neutral Milk Hotel styled proclamations of how rad Jesus is, just some posi lyrics.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

one of the best bands in the world at the moment, make incredible music, are all total dicks irl except for the drummer

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Red_Fred posted:

Their first single in 2002 was No Pasaran/Circling the Drain and it was the best release they've done yet. They released four singles that moved thematically away from the a-side of the first single, towards the b-side but dug a deep trench between themselves and a lot of other music at the time, touring with a handful of other crushing monumental hardcore/punk bands that are equals or better that do not share the publicity they do because of (my opinion) their clever ability to continually grow and cover new ground that they are interested in.

They played here (Chicago) a lot with other bands they were in and the members were always involved in local music. They wrote zines, formed other bands, etc (they still do and are still heavily involved).

They used some serious fuckin brains on the part of Mike to whip up hilarious cover stories and creative lies about the band and its history, its releases, etc while combining them with a sort of ongoing series of situationist and other agit prop political nonsense. Moved musically with a lot of his input towards shoegaze. I recall him selling a ton of his records in Toronto after a show, including the Stars and Stripes LP, and I said "hmm I think they are moving towards wankery and away from fights at shows."

They also are (again, personal opinion) partially responsible for the lovely state of "mysterious guy hardcore."

They have always supported other bands, music and their various nonprofit work they take interest in without question. I can't speak highly enough of them, although I rarely listen to it anymore and don't buy any of the new stuff. I do have nearly every release of theirs from the beginning including some test presses, bootlegs, etc.

Absolutely none of them are "dicks" with an exception for Ben Cook circa No Warning. They appease their fanbase so hard that fans actually expect a shitload from them, which is slightly pathetic. They are a band, you are an audience, if you want to hear something different go form your own band.

I don't know what everyone does still but Damian had Millenial Reign and his label with his wife for a bit, Jonah does Mad Men which is KILLER. Ben does Young Guv, or did for a while, might not still be a thing. They were touring with Foo Fighters and, checking the blog, have a hilarious looking cruise thing they are playing with the Dirtbombs and King Khan with the Shrines.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
No Pasaran does own a lot.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oh goodness. Touche Amore and Pianos Become The Teeth at the Beat Kitchen in Chicago?

Yes. Please.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oh goodness. Touche Amore and Pianos Become The Teeth at the Beat Kitchen in Chicago?

Yes. Please.

seeing the same tour in Boston, should be loving cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I really can't stand anything by hosed Up except Epics in Minutes, and even that album's just 'pretty good.' I feel very alone in this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I really can't stand anything by hosed Up except Epics in Minutes, and even that album's just 'pretty good.' I feel very alone in this.

You are. David Comes to Life is just incredible, especially with the lyrics in front of you. Chemistry of Common Life was good, but David is a step beyond. David's Town is really cool, too, just them playing a bunch of different kinds of music with various singers.

e: They're already working on a musical version of David. poo poo. I'll go to Canada for that.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Dickeye posted:

You are. David Comes to Life is just incredible, especially with the lyrics in front of you. Chemistry of Common Life was good, but David is a step beyond. David's Town is really cool, too, just them playing a bunch of different kinds of music with various singers.

e: They're already working on a musical version of David. poo poo. I'll go to Canada for that.

I heard it was a bit overlong though. Granted I haven't listened to it (and I really want to), but isn't it like 90 minutes long?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LtTennisBall posted:

I heard it was a bit overlong though. Granted I haven't listened to it (and I really want to), but isn't it like 90 minutes long?

I haven't listened to David Comes to Life, but this is exactly the problem I had with Hidden Worlds. I couldn't make it more than five songs in before I had to turn it off, it was so bloated.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It is 78 minutes. I don't feel like it is bloated, most of the songs are under 5 minutes and flow into each other.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
But seriously can we discuss what I'm supposed to do with these two lineups happening at the same time?

THE FLORIDA THEATER OF GAINESVILLE
Against Me! 12:30 - 1:20
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists 11:30 - 12:10
Dillinger Four 10:30 - 11:10
Youth Brigade 9:30 - 10:10
Paint it Black 8:30 - 9:10
None More Black 7:30 - 8:10
Dead to Me 6:40 - 7:10
Smoke or Fire 5:40 - 6:20
Off With Their Heads 4:50 - 5:20
Make Do and mend 4:00 - 4:30

8 SECONDS
Bomb The Music Industry 12:50 - 1:30
Screaming Females 12:00 - 12:30
Lemuria 11:10 - 11:40
Good Luck 10:10 - 10:50
Toys that Kill 9:10 - 9:50
Tim Barry 8:20 - 9:00
Defiance, Ohio 7:20 - 8:00
Bridge and Tunnel 6:30 - 7:00
Iron Chic 5:40 - 6:10
RVIVR 4:50 - 5:20
Grabass Charlestons 4:00 - 4:30
Paul Baribeau 3:10 - 3:40
Armalite 2:20 - 2:50
Soviettes, The 1:30 - 2:00

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
Anyone who goes to see Against Me instead of BTMI is a shithead.

Edit: First one is better overall though.

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 20, 2011

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Youth Brigade is awesome. See them for sure.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'd go to the first one easy.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
I'd go to the second one because it's got all my favorite diy punk bands and paul baribeau and against me wont be playing. Also ted leo? lmao who gives a poo poo about ted leo in 2011.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
The second one is definitely better, go to that one.

Carl FTWinslow posted:

I'd go to the second one because it's got all my favorite diy punk bands and paul baribeau and against me wont be playing. Also ted leo? lmao who gives a poo poo about ted leo in 2011.

I saw Ted Leo about a year ago, I thought the show was really good. To each their own I guess.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I just love make do and mend the most.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Make sure you leave during rvivr because they're assholes, or mosh extra hard so they cry more about it.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Glad I'm not the only one who thought RVIVR were kind of jerkish when I saw them

...but still, I would go to the second show. If only for BTMI! and Armalite alone.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
BtMI rules, go see them. I'd give a nut to see them play again. Most fun I've ever had at a show.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
Just came across a rough mix of the Wormburner full length. Sucks they broke up but I hear Kevin Nunn is kind of a douche so it's not surprising.

http://wormburneryo.bandcamp.com/album/lp-rough-mix-20

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bomb the Music Industry rules hard but I don't like any of the other bands on that bill.

Is going to night one, staying til 12:10, and booking it to the second show an option? Seeing Dillinger Four and Smoke or Fire in one day would be tits.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bomb the Music Industry rules hard but I don't like any of the other bands on that bill.

Is going to night one, staying til 12:10, and booking it to the second show an option? Seeing Dillinger Four and Smoke or Fire in one day would be tits.

I was thinking this, because goddamn the rest of the list after BtMI sucks.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

hedgecore posted:

Bomb The Music Industry 12:50 - 1:30
Screaming Females 12:00 - 12:30
Lemuria 11:10 - 11:40
Dillinger Four 10:30 - 11:10
Paint it Black 8:30 - 9:10
None More Black 7:30 - 8:10
Dead to Me 6:40 - 7:10
Iron Chic 5:40 - 6:10
Off With Their Heads 4:50 - 5:20
Make Do and mend 4:00 - 4:30
Soviettes, The 1:30 - 2:00

+ a bike or something

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yes. Please.

Oh gently caress I'm gonna need to catch this.

EDIT: Holy poo poo the NY date is at Andrew WK's venue.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

Oh gently caress I'm gonna need to catch this.

EDIT: Holy poo poo the NY date is at Andrew WK's venue.

Santos Party House is Andrew WK's venue...that would...make a lot of sense, actually. The Boston date is at The Middle East, which I think is a good venue (?)

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who thought RVIVR were kind of jerkish when I saw them

...but still, I would go to the second show. If only for BTMI! and Armalite alone.

I remember making a post sometime back after seeing RVIVR saying that they tell people off in a noble way. However, putting down someone, in even a noble manner, still makes you look like an rear end. I did enjoy their show regardless but I do get the vibe that Matt is somewhat self-righteous.

Has anyone else listened to P.S. Eliot's most recent album "Sadie"? I recently bought it and have really enjoyed, but they announced they're breaking up and playing their final show later in the year. It always seems that when I start getting really into a band they break up.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Sir Thats Gross posted:

Has anyone else listened to P.S. Eliot's most recent album "Sadie"? I recently bought it and have really enjoyed, but they announced they're breaking up and playing their final show later in the year. It always seems that when I start getting really into a band they break up.

Same thing happened to me. It truly is a fantastic album, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hedgecore posted:

But seriously can we discuss what I'm supposed to do with these two lineups happening at the same time?

Eh, except for Youth Brigade I'm not a big fan of any of the bands listed (either that or I've never heard of them), so it would be the first line-up for me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just found out Intro5pect has gotten a lot better over the years. Record Profits is a seriously good album.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Fest schedules are listed in backwards chronological order, BTMI is closing the second show.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Angiepants posted:

Fest schedules are listed in backwards chronological order, BTMI is closing the second show.

Yes they are? I don't see how that's conflicting with what I said. Go to the first show until midnight and then book it to see BTMI close the second show.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Don't know if the others from the album have been mentioned in this thread before, but La Dispute put out a third track from Wildlife (Oct 4) the other day, called "Edward Benz, 27 Times". Great song, even better if you're looking at the lyrics while listening to it. Can't wait for this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHKc-9Ps-cc
http://www.ladisputemusic.com/2011/09/edward-benz-27-times

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LtTennisBall posted:

Santos Party House is Andrew WK's venue...that would...make a lot of sense, actually. The Boston date is at The Middle East, which I think is a good venue (?)

Mid East Upstairs is a fantastic venue. It's tiny, that show is gonna be awesome. Makes me wish i was still in Boston actually.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

Mid East Upstairs is a fantastic venue. It's tiny, that show is gonna be awesome. Makes me wish i was still in Boston actually.

I've only been here a couple of weeks for school. I was at the Paradise last night, and I liked it a lot. I'm going to the Paramount Center to see Girls on Saturday.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Gogey posted:

Don't know if the others from the album have been mentioned in this thread before, but La Dispute put out a third track from Wildlife (Oct 4) the other day, called "Edward Benz, 27 Times". Great song, even better if you're looking at the lyrics while listening to it. Can't wait for this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHKc-9Ps-cc
http://www.ladisputemusic.com/2011/09/edward-benz-27-times

It's a loving rad song.
Is it a true story or what?
It gives me hope for the album as I found the other 2 songs quite poor. I want another Why it Scares Me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news

A5H posted:

It's a loving rad song.
Is it a true story or what?
It gives me hope for the album as I found the other 2 songs quite poor. I want another Why it Scares Me.

given i might have a little bias, but i fully believe La Dispute is one of the best bands there is today, and they're gonna get all the success they deserve