Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My problems with skullgirls don't have anything to do with the anime art style and everything to do with the pantyshots. I'll still probably end up playing it since it looks fun but I just can't help but wonder why they felt the need to put those in. Especially so goddamn many.

And KoFXIII looks like it's picking up some traction in the US already. Not a fuckton, but a little bit. We'll have to wait and see when it comes out, but it getting a decent scene going isn't an impossibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

I'd be more embarrassed if someone knew I played Brawl on a serious level more than Skullgirls (even with friends, Brawl sucks). That tournament looked depressing, and the neckbeard, nerdshoe losers guys there didn't make the event look any better.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Endorph posted:

My problems with skullgirls don't have anything to do with the anime art style and everything to do with the pantyshots. I'll still probably end up playing it since it looks fun but I just can't help but wonder why they felt the need to put those in. Especially so goddamn many.

Because the dude who created the IP is your typical anime weirdo? Seems pretty obvious, idk.

It's kind of disappointing that they're limiting their potential audience by doing this poo poo but what are you gonna do? The people driven enough to make a new IP sprite-based 2D fighter in 2011 are going to be weirdos with weird interests. Why else would there be so many anime little girl fighters?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Dias posted:

So, anyway. KOF XIII. What are the chances that Americans will pick up that game? The series was popular as all hell here in Brazil and the rest of South America, but I feel like even at its apex, it wasn't all that popular in the USA. Am I right? If it becomes somewhat popular, you'll start seeing a lot more of South Americans at big majors, I'd wager.

I just joined the club, but my local group picked up 2002 UM in anticipation of XIII. I think this one seems like it will be a bit more popular than the others.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Veev posted:

I just joined the club, but my local group picked up 2002 UM in anticipation of XIII. I think this one seems like it will be a bit more popular than the others.

I find myself signing in to watch FG streams these days hoping that they will have some KOFXIII casuals before the AE/Marvel tournaments start. And then usually signing off when said AE/MVC3 starts.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
God dammit fighting game thread, stop tricking me into thinking actual news happened with your girl cartoon phobias.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Mochiballs posted:

I've been asking people in my area if they're planning to buy it and the general consensus seems to be that they'll give it a shot. I play near Sunnyvale too which is Street Fighter city so I have high hopes for it.

Have you checked out gamecenter up in San Mateo yet? I go there about once a week to play some GvG but there's almost always been at least one or two people on the kof cab each time I've been there.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Endorph posted:

And KoFXIII looks like it's picking up some traction in the US already. Not a fuckton, but a little bit. We'll have to wait and see when it comes out, but it getting a decent scene going isn't an impossibility.

Out of curiosity, does seeing underpants mean something in anime or japan that we are unaware of? I.E., a guy wearing black facepaint is sort of nebulous but is incredibly offensive due to context.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Speaking of KoF XIII and how much rear end it kicks, check this video out:
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/k...spx?PageIndex=2

Checkout 19:50 in particular. THIS, is how you do a color edit mode.

E: For those who don't have patience or at work:
The characters regions are separate, and you can assign colors individually to each one (e.g. hair, cap, pants color1, pants color2, etc...).

However, you can't choose any color freely. You have preset colors, and you unlock more colors during the course of the game.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 19, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Not sure I'd call having to unlock colors the right way to do a color edit mode. Hopefully they aren't a pain to unlock.

I'm still worried about the netcode, I guess nobody has had a chance to do a hands-on of that yet.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
iplaywinner is streaming KOF from the Southwhatever Arcade.

http://www.iplaywinner.tv/

Having never played a KOF game before, this looks really really cool and I will be picking it up just for that reason.

Edit: I really like the run animations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

kaujot posted:

iplaywinner is streaming KOF from the Southwhatever Arcade.

http://www.iplaywinner.tv/

Having never played a KOF game before, this looks really really cool and I will be picking it up just for that reason.

I feel the same exact way. I really like learning and executing combos in fighting games and there's a lot of cool characters to learn combos for! I hope the online is decent, because there's barely a fighting game scene here, and the KoF scene is probably nonexistent.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
What's going on when one character glows sort of whitish and it looks a bit like there's some Genei Jin stuff going on? Does every character have that, because I swear I've seen it twice now from different characters.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I might be remembering wrong but didn't they say Atlus was working on the netcode for KoF XIII?

kaujot posted:

What's going on when one character glows sort of whitish and it looks a bit like there's some Genei Jin stuff going on? Does every character have that, because I swear I've seen it twice now from different characters.

That's Hyper Drive (HD) mode and it is universal.

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006

rivals posted:

Have you checked out gamecenter up in San Mateo yet? I go there about once a week to play some GvG but there's almost always been at least one or two people on the kof cab each time I've been there.

Yo. Nope but I've been planning on getting into it at Southtown arcade because I'm in SF a lot these days and I've been hearing about their Sunday tourneys.

How long have you been playing? Have you ever been to SVGL or SJSU tournaments? We've probably met. I was friends with the old Marvel players back in the day like Chunksta, Cableguy and Anthoneezy.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I played for a bit a long time ago but I was away for college at the time and just started getting back into it this year in like March. I've met Chunksta a few times because I play at Hiro's every once in a while but I don't play marvel so I haven't played with him at all. I'm on the other side of 237 though so I go to MGL once or twice a week but that's about it. I've been going to gamecenter on Sundays since they have GvG for 25c per play from 3-6. It's way more fun than I expected it to be. I haven't checked out Southtown yet but I've been meaning to for a while. Probably going to try to get out there in the next few weeks.

From what I've seen (just on the ipw streams), kof really seems to be hitting it off up there. I'm interested in seeing what happens when it comes out. Would like to see SVGL or MGL get cabs so I could check it out more easily but I think that's pretty unlikely. I'm sure I'll see you around though, I've been trying to get more active and start going to more local stuff. Went to streetwise for AE on Saturday and only like 10 people showed up so he didn't even bother putting on mvc and 3s, we just did a quick AE tourney and played some casuals. It was still fun though and I'll definitely be at the others and Tight or Fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

40 OZ posted:

Out of curiosity, does seeing underpants mean something in anime or japan that we are unaware of? I.E., a guy wearing black facepaint is sort of nebulous but is incredibly offensive due to context.
Uhh... no? But pantyshots are dumb fanservice. This is a universal constant. Even if you don't care, you have to admit they're completely pointless except for, again, pandering to really creepy people.

I'm not incredibly offended or anything but it does kind of annoy me.

Speaking of dumb fanservice, KoF is looking really good, yeah. I've always had a soft spot for the series no matter how dumb it got, so it actually becoming a legit game with an actual scene is a gift from god for me.

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006

rivals posted:

I played for a bit a long time ago but I was away for college at the time and just started getting back into it this year in like March. I've met Chunksta a few times because I play at Hiro's every once in a while but I don't play marvel so I haven't played with him at all. I'm on the other side of 237 though so I go to MGL once or twice a week but that's about it. I've been going to gamecenter on Sundays since they have GvG for 25c per play from 3-6. It's way more fun than I expected it to be. I haven't checked out Southtown yet but I've been meaning to for a while. Probably going to try to get out there in the next few weeks.

From what I've seen (just on the ipw streams), kof really seems to be hitting it off up there. I'm interested in seeing what happens when it comes out. Would like to see SVGL or MGL get cabs so I could check it out more easily but I think that's pretty unlikely. I'm sure I'll see you around though, I've been trying to get more active and start going to more local stuff. Went to streetwise for AE on Saturday and only like 10 people showed up so he didn't even bother putting on mvc and 3s, we just did a quick AE tourney and played some casuals. It was still fun though and I'll definitely be at the others and Tight or Fight.

Yeah that's kinda my story too. I was really active back in the day and then went to socal for college and I didn't really keep in contact with any of the people who became names.

Whenever it comes out we should try playing online. I need to learn the game, I've been a capcom guy my whole life.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

kaujot posted:

All it lets you do is cancel specials in to specials as long as its active, and cancel super>neo max. In practice you juggle whoever you are playing against too the corner and do like 500, 600 if you super by using it, and if you go to neo max from super most characters have 100% combos.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
So I've heard some things of Chaos Code already being announced for a console release? I believe I've heard for sure though they there is going to be a patch for arcades to fix some bugs (Cait and Sith dash infinite), dunno if there's other gameplay changes too.

Also, Examu making a new version of DAEMON BRIDE :downs:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Whatever happened to last year's JoJo's league? I need something to pass the time until Ultimate comes out, but the only person to fight on GGPO is sf2feilong :(

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
sf2feilong, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure ultra shin grand master *Kakyoin j.C, throw* :madmax:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Cinroth posted:

sf2feilong, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure ultra shin grand master *Kakyoin j.C, throw* :madmax:

No bullshit, I spent 3 hours fighting that bastard the other night. I was like, "I literally just reinstalled GGPO for the first time in a year, I'm very much not good at the game, I'd like to learn, is that okay?"

Cue 3 loving hours of Shadow Dio short hop crossup tick/wakeup throw 4-hit resets and mixups. I didn't even realize there was a crossup until fight 6 or so because his stand was obscuring my character (and I was too busy freaking out over the high-low mixup and then trying to tech throw mixups). I have never met a more unhelpful person in my life.

The only advice he ever gave me was "pushblock the jab" at which point he baited my goddamn pushblock and killed me. Fucker.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
sf2feilong is a professional salt miner and probably the number one reason why people on ggpo abandon their bizarre adventures with Jojo so quickly. Don't let him get to you and try playing some other more helpful people. Fayk can probably namedrop some cool dudes. I haven't played for awhile so I'm not sure who's active these days but some people I used to play were jedpossum, matt_ca or something I forget his name (hella salty guy) and gamegeezer who's a million times better than me but a cool dude.

There's also the german shin-god level players like toki and ATG that hang out who might be more helpful. I played ATG a long time ago and while he bodied me repeatedly he was always able to answer any question I had.

I would play Jojo more but laggy Jojo makes me saltier than any fighting game ever made, because it's sooo good without lag... :smith:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

dj_de posted:

I'm actually super excited for the new DB. Game had some really cool aesthetic and system design, and even cribs a little from IaMP's projectile system.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

dj_de posted:

So I've heard some things of Chaos Code already being announced for a console release? I believe I've heard for sure though they there is going to be a patch for arcades to fix some bugs (Cait and Sith dash infinite), dunno if there's other gameplay changes too.

Chaos Code's console version was "announced" before the arcade version even released. They were stuck in publishing hell for a while so they started working on the home version in the mean time. It was mostly done a few months back, though that doesn't really say anything about when it will come out.

The new patch is supposed to fix the assorted bugs that have been found, and make Celia II playable. Haven't heard anything about the infinite or the mechanics issues of the game.

One thing is for sure and that's that there are too many fighting games coming out these days to keep up with. Let me see if I have them all...

Arcade Releases:
Daemon Bride 2(?)
Under Night In-Birth
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Home Releases:
King of Fighters XIII (Oct 26th)
Chaos Code
Persona 4 Ultimate
BlazBlue CS Extend
Street Fighter X Tekken
Street Fighter 4 AE 2012
Ultimate MvC3
Aquapazza
Skullgirls (Late 2011)
Melty Blood Current Code 1.07 (PC)

Soul Calibur 5
DOA 5
Virtua Fighter 4 Final Showdown (Mid 2012)
Tekken X Street Fighter

Doujin:
Vanguard Princess Prime
Big Bang Beat 2

Am I missing anything?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 5, 2011

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Yeah there's that Under Night In-Birth game that got a trailer a million years ago and then nobody heard anything ever again. Hopefully there will be more info eventually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eFpH_6ReWo

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Current Code 1.07 comes out in December on PC with the last Carnival Phantasm BD.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Whats different about Melty Blood AA Current Code vs regualar Melty Blood AA? Ive been meaning to pick up AA for PS2 and wanting to wait for Current Code hoping it would cause the PS2 one to drop in price, but if Current Code is a significant improvement Ill just bite the bullet and throw my money away.

Will it be buyable alone, or would I actually need to buy the Carnival Phantasm bluray?

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

They will be pretty similar games think SSFIV>SSFIV AE

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Big Bang Beat 2

I liked alot of things the first one did, but the balance was so outta wack :smith:

dj_de posted:

:swoon:, this game is gonna own screw the haters.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Big Bang Beat had some cool ideas. I really liked the boxer guy, and the superhero-wannabe was a funny gimmick.

How badly screwed was the balance in that game?

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

inthesto posted:

Big Bang Beat had some cool ideas. I really liked the boxer guy, and the superhero-wannabe was a funny gimmick.

How badly screwed was the balance in that game?

It was pretty broken but I don't think I played the newest version so maybe it got better.

Ohh well incase anyone is interested the demo is up on their site

http://aja-games.com/aja_blog/?p=1029

I think I have actually bought everything they have made, really like their games in general.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Actually I recall one of the big problems being that whoever was doing the patches had no idea what they were doing, and as a result the game actually got more and more broken as time went on.

I didn't play it a whole lot myself though so I don't have much first hand experience.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
New P4 Ultimate trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIt7CtionFo

Please Arc. Don't gently caress this up.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Cinroth posted:

Yeah there's that Under Night In-Birth game that got a trailer a million years ago and then nobody heard anything ever again. Hopefully there will be more info eventually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eFpH_6ReWo

It's still due for an arcade release at the end of the year last I heard. The reason they haven't mentioned it much is because they're still working on the 1.07 patch for melty.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I've played Big Bang Beat Revolve and

well the game is still kinda wonky (they had to patch out a fuckton of infinites) but it's at least sorta alright. Hopefully they get their poo poo together for the sequel, but my hopes aren't that high.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Gutcruncher posted:

Whats different about Melty Blood AA Current Code vs regualar Melty Blood AA? Ive been meaning to pick up AA for PS2 and wanting to wait for Current Code hoping it would cause the PS2 one to drop in price, but if Current Code is a significant improvement Ill just bite the bullet and throw my money away.

Will it be buyable alone, or would I actually need to buy the Carnival Phantasm bluray?

The PC version we're getting is 4 revisions along from the PS2 version. After the PS2 version we had MBAA ver.A, Current Code, Current Code 1.05, and we'll be getting 1.07. There's quite a lot of differences, and if you're intending to actually play the game with friends there's not much point to buying the PS2 version much like there's little point to buying SF4 or BBCT these days.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I put a second spring in my JLF and swapped out the gate for an octo-gate because I'm trying to replicate the feel of an American joystick. What is wrong with me :ohdear:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
congrats your a srk poster with a 2009 regdate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Speaking of SRK, why do the guys in what is basically their stick subforum :spergin: out when they see 8-button layouts?

Rokstar, I'm with you on trying that. American parts don't fit in a TE without extreme modification. I already have a bat-top for my TE's JLF, clearly this could be done easily.

• Locked thread