Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Black
Nov 6, 2007
Alright, a cherries jubilee and that's it.
Just wondering if anyone's got any suggestions for your favorite 8 inch nonstick for under $25?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You need this:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/96225800

Seriously, anything more expensive is a waste of your money, when it comes to nonstick pans. Throw it away in a year and buy another.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Yeah unless you like tasty, carcinogenic burnt Teflon then you throw them away when you get scratched up.

FYI I looked at French presses and that went on the X-Mas list. Thanks folks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even if its flaking, I don't think it can technically hurt you. Teflon is pretty inert at normal temperatures. Flaking or not, you should not be using it at high temps.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Doesn't Teflon need to hit like 500 degrees for it to be noticeably dangerous (to like birds)?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Doesn't Teflon need to hit like 500 degrees for it to be noticeably dangerous (to like birds)?

Around that. It can make people sick, and an empty pan left unwatched for a few minutes on a burner can hit those kinds of temps.

It's still tremendously useful, but like steakandchips says, buy a cheapie and chuck it when it gets scuffed up. My mother-in-law was about to cry when I threw her 10-year old pans out (and she was using metal spatulas).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I have had a Tefal non-stick pan that I have had for 11 years and is still in perfect condition. So i don't regard them as semi-disposable.

I am in love with my Tefal loaf tins: between those and the durability of the pan, I am very impressed with their products.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tefal is indeed very good poo poo. Mom swears by them too.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I've always bought Calphalon for non-stick pans. They're on sale regularly at Bed Bath and Beyond and adding in one of their mailing coupons makes them dirt cheap. I have an 8" for eggs and a 12" with a lid that I use for larger more general purpose use.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm not afraid of Teflon, but given a choice I'll avoid using it. For one thing, metal is just easier to care for; I can lean on it with my scrubber without worrying I'll mess it up. A scratched non-stick pan is worse than useless.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nothing like nonstick for eggs.

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.
Anybody tried the new ceramic nonstick? They had a display in BB&B.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

Psycho_Puppy posted:

Anybody tried the new ceramic nonstick? They had a display in BB&B.
Was just talking about the Bialetti Aeternum line today... they seem to be great at first, but are generating a ton of returns from chipping around the edges. The Amazon reviews indicate the pans very quickly shed the nonstick layer. I'd steer clear of them until they find a way to make them more durable.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I try to steer clear of non-stick stuff. If it's eggs, any pan will do (cast iron, stainless, bare aluminum, copper, etc.) - to avoid sticking, just use the right heat for your pan and add more fat. Eggs like fat.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I think it was mentioned a few pages ago, but I can't recommend the OXO pepper grinder enough. Easy to change grind sizes and it churns out pepper effortlessly like a god drat machine.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like to recommend the America's Test Kitchen Healthy family cookbook to people looking for a good, diet friendly cook book. Made a few recipes in the book and they have all turned out pretty awesome, including the chicken lasagna I made tonight.

They provide nutritional info for each serving which is great and it has a lot of product reviews/tips on the side.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I try to steer clear of non-stick stuff. If it's eggs, any pan will do (cast iron, stainless, bare aluminum, copper, etc.) - to avoid sticking, just use the right heat for your pan and add more fat. Eggs like fat.

Got that egg some fat. Eggs love fat.

On a more serious and less memey note. There's about 62,159,295 different kinds of kitchenaid mixer, not including the various colours. For a nice, high quality gift (for my mother), which would do just about everything you'd want? I'm looking for some GWS expert advice on these things. Do any of them come with juicer attachments (not that it's a priority, at all)? And I noticed a few people talking about bread dough - if you made it very infrequently, is it a problem for the less balltearingly powerful models?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squish posted:

On a more serious and less memey note. There's about 62,159,295 different kinds of kitchenaid mixer, not including the various colours. For a nice, high quality gift (for my mother), which would do just about everything you'd want? I'm looking for some GWS expert advice on these things. Do any of them come with juicer attachments (not that it's a priority, at all)? And I noticed a few people talking about bread dough - if you made it very infrequently, is it a problem for the less balltearingly powerful models?

In the UK KitchenAid mixers cost a loving fortune (£400). The Artisan has a 325 watt motor. The Kenwood Chef Premier has a 1000 watt motor and is about half the price (£209). Of course, it doesn't look that good, and looks are important - but not as important as functionality. Am I an idiot for even considering a KitchenAid over a Kenwood? Any third parties I've overlooked?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Squish posted:

What I've heard is that at some point, Kitchen Aid went from metal gears to plastic gears (or was it something else that changed to plastic? I forget), weakening the machine at peak load - that is, when handling heavy, dense stuff such as bread dough.

I can't recommend the Assistent enough, it's rebranded and sold in the US as the Magic Mill DLX. http://www.everythingkitchens.com/dlxmixer.html or here; http://assistent.nu/us/default.aspx . There's a version that comes packaged with mincer w strainer and grater, pasta attachment, sausage filler component, meat grinder and plunger; Citrus press; Mixer in unbreakable plastic with 1.7-litre capacity, it's called the AKM6190.

It has the added bonus of looking cool.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Squish posted:

None come with the juicer attachment by default. I recommend the pro line series, usually only an extra $50, it gets you a larger bowl and a lifting mechanism. You shouldn't have a problem with dough.

Don't go with another brand. She wants a kitchenaid mixer.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Dane posted:

What I've heard is that at some point, Kitchen Aid went from metal gears to plastic gears (or was it something else that changed to plastic? I forget), weakening the machine at peak load - that is, when handling heavy, dense stuff such as bread dough.

The hosed up thing is that there are K-A mixers with metal gears, and there are mixers with plastic gears, and from everything I googled it goes across all model numbers. There doesn't seem to be a concensus on much.

One other notable issue with K-A is the grease seal around the rotating arm. Make sure to give it a spin at least every few months to keep it lubed. If it leaks, K-A does not give a poo poo (it's food-grade grease and they tell you that it's perfectly safe if it drips right into your pizza dough) and it's a huge pain in the rear end to change the seal.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Bobx66 posted:

Don't go with another brand. She wants a kitchenaid mixer.

I guess I missed that part.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
As of a year or so ago, I'm pretty sure all artisan stand mixers have metal gears and gearboxes. Also, don't go on wattage. Wattage tells you how much electricity the unit consumes, that doesn't always translate to torque.

My wife is a semi-pro baker/decorator and she's used our refurb artisan for a good 7 or 8 years now. Get a KitchenAid Artisan.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
They're not $25, but they're not super expansive: I have a couple Anolon anodized pans that I've had for like 7 years now. They are really good pans for nonstick applications, and they haven't flaked or anything--I'm pretty sure I can get another several years out of them, at least. I also take care of them (no metal utensils, and hand wash only). I've had Calphalon pots and pans, but I didn't like and ended up giving them away.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GD_American posted:

The hosed up thing is that there are K-A mixers with metal gears, and there are mixers with plastic gears, and from everything I googled it goes across all model numbers. There doesn't seem to be a concensus on much.

One other notable issue with K-A is the grease seal around the rotating arm. Make sure to give it a spin at least every few months to keep it lubed. If it leaks, K-A does not give a poo poo (it's food-grade grease and they tell you that it's perfectly safe if it drips right into your pizza dough) and it's a huge pain in the rear end to change the seal.

Is there a list of which ones have plastic gears? This is the first time I've heard of this, and I got the Ultra Power like 6 months ago...

edit: never mind, the Amazon description says I got one with metal gears. Still, sheesh, what a load of bullshit that I even have to worry about that sort of thing

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 20, 2011

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

Can anyone vouch? I guess CI gave them great reviews even up against the All-Clad. Is there a reason to take them over the Cuisinart Multiclad Pro?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Whatever you do, don't buy them from Wal-Mart, a company which mistreats it's workers.

That said, I have some Tramontina stainless stuff, and it's fine. But not as fine as even my Cuisinart stuff.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I'm looking for a good smoky tequila for my birthday. Any suggestions? I do like whiskey, scotch, rum, and the small bottle of Jose Cuervo out of the freezer had the smoky flavor that I like. I've had a few different ones, but am looking for a good anejo, not too expensive, that I can enjoy sipping for a while, not for doing shots.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Flyboy925 posted:

I'm looking for a good smoky tequila for my birthday. Any suggestions? I do like whiskey, scotch, rum, and the small bottle of Jose Cuervo out of the freezer had the smoky flavor that I like. I've had a few different ones, but am looking for a good anejo, not too expensive, that I can enjoy sipping for a while, not for doing shots.

Would you be willing to try a Mezcal? Mezcal Semillero Anejo has a really smooth smoky taste, and isn't that expensive, as Mezcals go.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Welp my electric kettle crapped itself. Any reason I shouldn't just grab whatever is cheapest off Amazon to replace?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Flyboy925 posted:

I'd go with a mescal de Oaxaca for smoke. If you can find something by Ilegal or Del Maguey you'll do great. Those run $60-$70/bottle, and Del Maguey has a blended bottle called Vida that runs about $40, which should be as hard or difficult to find as any Oaxacan mescal. Look for a specialty liquor store, or online.

edit: Just noticed you wanted an anejo. Vida is a clear spirit, but very smooth and drinkable. The Ilegal and Del Maguey lines have spirits with various degrees of age, and they'll all probably be great. Look up some reviews online, if you like.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
Thank you for the suggestions so far. I've gone through whiskey/rum/scotch phases, and lately I've been really interested in tequila. Hadn't even thought of mezcal, so thanks for bringing it up. I'll see if the state (wa) liquor stores around have any of those recommendations. Still low. To any other ideas so I have a few options to consider.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Welp my electric kettle crapped itself. Any reason I shouldn't just grab whatever is cheapest off Amazon to replace?

This is the highest rated kettle on amazon (and it's what I have) and it's pretty much flawless.
http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AWK-115S-X-Press-2-Liter-Cordless/dp/B000KDVTJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1316571159&sr=1-1

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Hypnolobster posted:

This is the highest rated kettle on amazon (and it's what I have) and it's pretty much flawless.
http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AWK-115S-X-Press-2-Liter-Cordless/dp/B000KDVTJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1316571159&sr=1-1

I was about to buy that when I realized I was going to spend 30 bucks to make water hot. Is there any reason it's worth twice the price of something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-K2070-Automatic-Electric/dp/B00023XCWS/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1316575332&sr=1-2

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It's vaguely better quality and the cord isn't attached to the kettle, only to the base. I don't know if that's worth ~15 bucks or not though. I think my kettle was only like $22 when I got it.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Cordless electric kettles are worth the extra money. Plus, it doesn't have an exposed heating element like the cheap one.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Having the base corded over the actual kettle is way better IMO. Safer too for that one time you accidentally grab it and its connected and spill boiling water on your arm.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Yes because glass kettles are awesome. You can have futuristic technology on your kitchen top. :colbert:

Here is one such kettle:

http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-259-03-Kettle-Polished-Chrome/dp/B000BY4ZHO/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1316594348&sr=1-2

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

As of a year or so ago, I'm pretty sure all artisan stand mixers have metal gears and gearboxes. Also, don't go on wattage. Wattage tells you how much electricity the unit consumes, that doesn't always translate to torque.

My wife is a semi-pro baker/decorator and she's used our refurb artisan for a good 7 or 8 years now. Get a KitchenAid Artisan.

The relationship between wattage and torque is, I am sure, non-linear, but I would expect there to be SOME relationship between them. I can't find any data on that. I would probably use my mixer for bread, so I want to know that it has adequate grunt for kneading. Both KitchenAid and Kenwood have fantastic user reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

I was about to buy that when I realized I was going to spend 30 bucks to make water hot. Is there any reason it's worth twice the price of something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-K2070-Automatic-Electric/dp/B00023XCWS/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1316575332&sr=1-2

I bought that exact same model for $5 off of someone on Craigslist. She'd used it a couple of years, and it's been working just fine for me. Heats up the full kettle full in about 4 minutes. When it's done heating the water, I leave it open so the water evaporates off. Before I leave out the door, I wrap up the cord, and stuff it back into the kettle, so I don't :psyduck: lose it. Best money I ever spent. Check your local Craigslist for electric kettles, and I'm sure you'll find one really cheap. It's loving boiling water. Save the unicorn farts for when it actually makes a difference.

• Locked thread