Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CubanMissile posted:

This episode is like an boring optional side quest from a bad RPG.
That's how I feel about all 1-5 episode arc filler stories.
They're not terrible (usually), but they feel like I'm watching missions from a Naruto video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I hope you're right about this only being 5 episodes. However, I am no longer optimistic when it comes to naruto filler.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kingtheninja posted:

I hope you're right about this only being 5 episodes. However, I am no longer optimistic when it comes to naruto filler.
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't actually mean this will be 5 episodes, just that Naruto filler arcs (from the first series) didn't usually go longer than 5-6 episodes.
This arc could go 20 episodes, who knows?
BTW, why do they even need to make so much filler? Aren't they nearly a year ahead in the manga?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Once the next arc begins, there's no break point. That arc is still ongoing in the manga, so they're getting in filler now where it fits best.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, but didn't bleach routinely insert filler arcs in the middle of canon arcs?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, but didn't bleach routinely insert filler arcs in the middle of canon arcs?

They did.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Kingtheninja posted:

Yes, basically the plot was something along the lines of 1 main character is dieing, another is kidnapped, several others are currently in a fight. Suddenly all of them are at a friendly soccer match back in town or at a beach party or something.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it

Brut posted:

Yes, basically the plot was something along the lines of 1 main character is dieing, another is kidnapped, several others are currently in a fight. Suddenly all of them are at a friendly soccer match back in town or at a beach party or something.

Oh dear sweet lizard chirst, don't let this happen. A friend of mine who reads the manga keeps giving me hints of how ridiculous and awesome the fourth great ninja war is. If filler is just randomly injected into it, I might have a heart attack and die. I'll take all the content stretching they can possibly throw into it even.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I can't imagine why they would even have to do that. Without spoiling anything, I'll just say that the manga has sort of blasted through things that could really be expanded on in the show in an awesome way that would both be really amazing to watch while also legitimately adding depth and action to the plot without resorting to "naruto goes to the beach and loses his popsicle in the ocean" territory.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Checking in to see if we're still stuck in lovely 50%+ flashback mode or fillerific arcs. Last I watched was 215 where Saskue was facing off against Kakashi and we got to see him leaving Konoha for the hundredth time.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah filler this week. Next week's preview tricks us into thinking they'll end it, but don't be fooled!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah filler this week. Next week's preview tricks us into thinking they'll end it, but don't be fooled!
This filler feels even more meaningless because the only main characters involved are Naruto, Yamato, and Guy (and Guy's not even in the episodes much because he's always keeling over with nausea).
At least with the filler in the old show, you'd get different main character combos, so you would see how they work together and more screen time for your favorite ninja.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
And Hinata learns to believe in herself when fighting the BEE NINJAS! :downs:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Soviets posted:

And Hinata learns to believe in herself when fighting the BEE NINJAS! :downs:
The dumbest definitely was the piss rainbow. I had heard the term when people made fun of filler, but I assumed it had to do with Akamaru marking someone with his urine or something. I was not prepared for the actual storyline.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
I didn't make it that far into the filler. I'm going to watch this. Now.

Edit: What the actual gently caress.

LambdaZero fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 26, 2011

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Soviets posted:

I didn't make it that far into the filler. I'm going to watch this. Now.

Edit: What the actual gently caress.
It's episode 192.

EDIT: ah, looks like you found it. Yeah, it's something that would fit in a show like Crayon Shin-chan or something. In Naruto, it's just... gross.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I enjoyed this silly filler episode, Gai's expressions were classic. Though it did remind me that even though Lee is a drunken fist master, he still gets zero love in the manga. This ninja war would already be won if someone would just get that kid a can of Four Loko.

Professor Oak
Jun 8, 2010
Although we're still stuck in filler, this week's episode with Lee and Guy was pretty funny. Love it when some of the filler is at least enjoyable to watch.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, the opening dream sequence for this week's episode was genuinely entertaining and is something they should do more of.

If this filler is going to have more stuff of that sort, then that's much easier to get along with over the long haul.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Stupid question, but why doesn't this show do what American shows do? They have seasons, then go off the air for a few months. I'd rather they do that with this show, concentrate their time and money on the cannon episodes rather than having a constant stream of episodes, especially if they're filler that most people could care less about.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Because slots are mad competitive in Japan so they can't afford to do seasons for big anime, or else they lose their primo slots and get less money with which to make their anime, so they just pump out filler because it's in such a good slot it will get watched no matter what, and the people that actually like naruto are kids that do not know any better or adults that are gonna watch because they are hype for when it isn't filler anymore.

It's more profit to make garbage your fans will hate but consume anyways than it is to bother making constant quality stuff but take breaks to do it. Capitalism!

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Next few episode titles and airdates for 22nd September to 6th October:

229 "Eat or Die! Mushrooms from Hell!"
September 22, 2011

230 "Counterattack From the Shadows"
September 29, 2011

231 "The Closed Sea Route"
October 6, 2011

English dub airdates:

96 "The Unseeing Enemy"
September 24, 2011

97 "The Labyrinth of Distorted Reflection"
October 1, 2011

This loving Yukimaru arc :suicide: I just want to know what Karin and Suigetsu sound like; I know Juugo is voiced by Travis Willingham, but that's all I've heard.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I can't stand this filler anymore, please someone go to Japan, put a gun to their heads and make them animate the canon arcs now.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Still no end land in sight for the goddamn boat filler huh? Thats a shame. Maybe the thread title should be changed to:

Naruto Shippuuden Thread 5: I'm on a boat motherfuckers.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I can sorta see why this is happening; they don't want to insert filler later on due to ~events~, but it's still boring as hell to watch. Also the dub is not too far away from the big Itachi fight and *~*Crispin Freeman*~* :swoon:

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Well, this was a pretty bad episode until the end where naruto/yamato become stone cold killers and send 3 dudes to their deaths

PassionTentacle
Aug 22, 2010

What happened to Shippuuden? I thought the higher-ups had realized that a dedicated filler arc was better than indefinite nonsense-of-the-week. I'd kill for a 20 episode arc all about Naruto and co. fighting a band of pirate ninjas with some generic motivation and goal.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I know its filler and I shouldn't expect much, but I hate stories which only work when they make the characters extremely stupid.

"What is this 'Summoning' thing and how would it help us in a situation where we've gone without food in a week?"

Really writers? They starve for a week and THEN finally remember one of their powers?

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Problem solving and critical thinking are incredibly hard on an empty stomach :)

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmX2a23PtXg If this show was always like this I'd watch it every week.

ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!
So what's going on in Naruto these da-

Raymondo Person posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmX2a23PtXg If this show was always like this I'd watch it every week.
:stare:

Am I going to have to start watching filler?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I like how most of the youtube commentators hate it

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

This was a good episode for labor relations.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL
I'm behind on the anime, manga spoilers under the cut! Are they already at the zombie army? I saw them in the linked OP.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Lazenca posted:

I'm behind on the anime, manga spoilers under the cut! Are they already at the zombie army? I saw them in the linked OP.

They did the mystery coffin scene and are currently doing a filler arc on the way to the island.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Not that anyone is really missing anything, but I'm posting to say filler will probably continue to the end of the year. The episode listing for the month of November is all filler, I've seen nothing to suggest it'll be any different for December either.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
On that note, the dub has been released in a huge update all the way to episode 112, alongside the movie Bonds. So close to hearing Crispin Freeman again :swoon:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kingtheninja posted:

Not that anyone is really missing anything, but I'm posting to say filler will probably continue to the end of the year. The episode listing for the month of November is all filler, I've seen nothing to suggest it'll be any different for December either.
drat.

I gave up watching back at the Pirate Island episode. How could they think that Naruto + Guy and Yamato could sustain a bazillion filler episodes? The whole appeal of Naruto is that everyone in the huge cast has their own super powers and you could play favorites. Did the producers tell all the voice actors to go take a long vacation since their characters will be gone for the next few months?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I think they decided to just put whoever they want in an episode, not necessarily have it focus on the ship crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JazzFlight posted:

drat.

I gave up watching back at the Pirate Island episode. How could they think that Naruto + Guy and Yamato could sustain a bazillion filler episodes? The whole appeal of Naruto is that everyone in the huge cast has their own super powers and you could play favorites. Did the producers tell all the voice actors to go take a long vacation since their characters will be gone for the next few months?

I always used to wonder what Sasuke's voice actor was doing during the 160 episodes of filler between the end of Naruto and Sasuke's first appearance in Shippuden.

When Shippuden starts, there's a flash-forward to Sasuke's first appearance in which he has maybe 15 lines, but this actual event doesn't actually take place for like 40-50 episodes into Shippuden, and when that scene occurs, it has noticeably lower animation quality.

• Locked thread