Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Lisa Lapenelli is on WTF this week. Has anyone listened to it yet because I am kind of scared.

Its not bad though it did get a little uncomfortable when she started asking if he thought she could end up being considered one of the greatest comedians ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Bunk Rogers posted:

Its not bad though it did get a little uncomfortable when she started asking if he thought she could end up being considered one of the greatest comedians ever.

If you like Lampanelli's schtick, there's not much of that. If you want a gripping Maron deep interview, there's not much of that either. It's mostly about what a wonderful person she is and how her fans love her even when she's insulting whatever ethnic/religious/gender group they belong to. No real surprises, no great insight. Also gets a little annoying when she talks about her background and education and then later you realize she's dumbing down her language as part of a persona.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
I always seem to forget that she was in some graduate program at Harvard. What a strange pedigree for a comedian. And to think she plays that character all the time.... yuck. Are there any other really notable ones besides Greg Giraldo?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Peter North posted:

I always seem to forget that she was in some graduate program at Harvard. What a strange pedigree for a comedian. And to think she plays that character all the time.... yuck. Are there any other really notable ones besides Greg Giraldo?

Well, the members of the Harvard Lampoon would be too numerous to mention here, but you've got folks like Al Franken, Mo Rocca, Conan O'Brien, Mo Rocca, B.J. Novak, Steve Zahn, Donal Logue, John Lithgow... Stretch the comedy definition a bit and you can add a lot of writers.

bartok
May 10, 2006

benito posted:

Well, the members of the Harvard Lampoon would be too numerous to mention here, but you've got folks like Al Franken, Mo Rocca, Conan O'Brien, Mo Rocca, B.J. Novak, Steve Zahn, Donal Logue, John Lithgow... Stretch the comedy definition a bit and you can add a lot of writers.

I like Mo Rocca but I don't think he is so nice you need to say it twice.

Speaking of female comedians that are funnier then Lisa Lampanelli, is Aisha Tyler's podcast any good?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Chunky Delight posted:

Speaking of female comedians that are funnier then Lisa Lampanelli, is Aisha Tyler's podcast any good?

Sorry, always thought that the "Mo" stood for "more". As for "Girl on Guy" with Aisha Tyler... It tends to depend on the guest. I'll give her credit that she has an amazing voice for a podcast, and her recording setup is well. I tend to like some of the Jesse Thorn podcasts, but when his damned Yorkshire Terriers are yapping in the background it annoys the hell out of me.

I really liked the Aisha Tyler interview with Chris Parnell (Dr. Spaceman from 30 Rock), but that's mainly because I went to the same high school he did and knew him when he came back as a theatre teacher and all that.

I think my favorite female comedy podcast is Jackie Kashian's "The Dork Forest", because it just goes into so many different subjects. Most of her guests are comedians you've never heard of, but instead of comedy they talk about their nerdy obsessions, like paper or punk rock or board games or whatever. Her whole show about performing in the Middle East was incredible, because of the logistics of doing a USO tour and having some creepy soldier/handler keep telling you you're going to get raped in Oman.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
:siren: Norm MacDonald Alert :siren:

Norm was on the Greg Fitzsimmons podcast. It was a few weeks ago but I just saw it now and I didn't see it mentioned here.

http://gregfitz.libsyn.com/norm-mac-donald-and-mark-mc-grath
http://gregfitz.libsyn.com/norm-mac-donald-part-2

He comes in around halfway through part 1.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
I was at the Doug Loves Movies taping in Toronto on Saturday. loving hilarious. It didn't even occur to me that they were here for the Toronto International Film Festival until they started making jokes about it. It's hilarious how the games catch the guests off guard. One of them seemed legitimately pissed off at the beginning that he hadn't had time to listen to the show before-hand and didn't know the rules. He got mocked for awhile by Sean Cullen who is (used to be?) on TV here in Canada a lot, to the Toronto crowd at least the most recognizable face. By the middle of the Leonard Maltin game though he was totally into it and asked if he could be on the show next year for T.I.F.F. After the show me and my friends were inspired to play a long-rear end round of build-a-title. It was $25 for 2 hours but Doug even asked the venue for more time at one point so it was incrementally and quality-wise well worth it.

I wondered when I listened to the podcasts whether he was joking about being stoned a lot of the time, but having seen his eyes from a few feet away maaaaan. That mah-fucka was blazed as poo poo for that show.

Also he joked about how maybe this would be the first time there would be technical difficulties and the podcast wouldn't be posted. It still isn't up, and my tired brain is worrying about it for some reason. I WANNA HEAR THAT BANTER AGAIN!

another edit: Hah, AND I just remembered that Doug seemed slightly creeped out by the fact that one guy had sat front row center and brought a box of cupcakes for him all 3 shows in a row. The guy ended up eating one of them during the show after Doug insisted he had no use for that many cupcakes.

Edgar Quintero fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 20, 2011

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

King Lou posted:

Hello fellows. I have been quiet of the podcast scene as of late because I was working slavishly on the live show that I did last week.

I edited a video of the show together.
Lou Reads Live @ the PIT NYC
The theater was pleased with the show so I'll probably doing another show in the Spring.

In the meantime I also got hired to record VO for some Rugby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvvQKawXYQ

Now I can get back to recording the podcast! I should have another episode up this week!

I've never heard your podcast before, but (a) You're a dapper-lookin' motherfucker and (b) You got a real cool voice. Good use of Powerpoint so far, too :v:

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Communocracy posted:

I wondered when I listened to the podcasts whether he was joking about being stoned a lot of the time, but having seen his eyes from a few feet away maaaaan. That mah-fucka was blazed as poo poo for that show.

I saw him at the ucb, and about 10 minutes before the show, a familiar smell wafts through the audience from backstage.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
Maybe it's what allows him to be un-self conscious on stage? Like how Doug Stanhope claims he can't do stand-up without being drunk because if he's sober he gets too nervous trying to play to his insecure perception of the audience's expectations. When he's a bit drunk the real him can flow out in the off-the-cuff way his fans love.

Furthermore, weed makes life own.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Anal Volcano posted:

I've never heard your podcast before, but (a) You're a dapper-lookin' motherfucker and (b) You got a real cool voice. Good use of Powerpoint so far, too :v:

Thanks and thanks. I'm working on the next episode of Lou Reads now. The live show was fun. Hopefully I'll get even more people to come next time. A couple of goons came, some people from reddit. The rest were friends and so on. I gave away a lot of posters, too.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Chunky Delight posted:

Listen to the first episode with H. Jon Benjamin.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
The Dead Authors Podcast

H.G. Wells (Paul F. Tompkins) uses his time machine to interview Emily Dickinson (Andy Richter).

It's PFT being a fancy man in a rambling interview. What's not to love? It's a little slow in places, but it'll only get better.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Nemo posted:

The Dead Authors Podcast

H.G. Wells (Paul F. Tompkins) uses his time machine to interview Emily Dickinson (Andy Richter).

It's PFT being a fancy man in a rambling interview. What's not to love? It's a little slow in places, but it'll only get better.

Just this description had me laughing. I'll check this out after work.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
My moment of shame got on JJGo! :dong:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Again the Todd Glass Show had me cracking up, so much that I couldn't breath. The end of the after show where he gets in the car puts on music and can't get it in drive is hilarious.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
The guests on NNF has been pretty mediocre this season, I know they are trying to expand the guest list but there have only been a handful of episodes that were entertaining throughout the entire thing. Tom Wilson and Ken Marino are the only good new guests imo. Maybe it's just me, as I don't like Andy Kindler or Myq Kaplan.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Strange Matter posted:

Listen to the first episode with H. Jon Benjamin.

This is actually the only episode of her podcast that I listened to, and it annoyed me how she just couldn't shut up and let him talk.

And I don't like Myq Kaplan either. Its spelled "Mike" dude!

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Communocracy posted:

...Sean Cullen...he joked about how maybe this would be the first time there would be technical difficulties and the podcast wouldn't be posted.

Sean Cullen is easily one of my top 5 Doug-Friends and hearing that it might not be posted is terrible news. Please tell me Sean didn't sing.. he sang didn't he? I bet it was hilarious. If he does post it it will most likely be a 2$ episode like most of his road shows and the benson interruption.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
In Gooncast news, this week's Those drat Ross Kids is well above-average (in my biased opinion). Check it out.

http://duckfeed.tv/tdrk/44

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Amy Poehler's free styles are amazing. Actually I liked Pally's too.

And I've seen Peretti live a couple times and I've liked her sets.

Nadine Hauklund
May 17, 2002

A boy's best friend is his mother.

Evil Agita posted:

This is actually the only episode of her podcast that I listened to, and it annoyed me how she just couldn't shut up and let him talk.

This is exactly how I feel. I gave her another try with PFT because he elevates everything, but I was only able to get though 1/3 of the show. And I'd walk across fire to hear a PFT extrasode.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Speaking of PFT, he announced on twitter that Season 2 of the Tompkast starts October 1st!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Evil Agita posted:

Agreed. She also put all the poo poo that is supposed to go at the end of the podcast at the beginning. All the explaining the sound quality stuff. She also sort of humble-bragged about putting the show together herself a lot. So what? It's not that hard.

ClaytonClaw
Dec 9, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

:siren: Norm MacDonald Alert :siren:

Norm was on the Greg Fitzsimmons podcast. It was a few weeks ago but I just saw it now and I didn't see it mentioned here.

http://gregfitz.libsyn.com/norm-mac-donald-and-mark-mc-grath
http://gregfitz.libsyn.com/norm-mac-donald-part-2

He comes in around halfway through part 1.

Thanks, don't stop doing theese please.

I wish Norm would do more podcasts. I wonder why he's never done any of the earwolf shows, he'd be great on Sklar or Who Charted.

Although I've heard him say "improv is for faggots"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Anybody else like How Did This Get Made? They generally do pretty well for themselves but I was disappointed that they wasted PFT on The Smurfs. Their best podcasts have invariably been about movies that are more incomprehensible than bad (though being bad helps). Their discussion of the Wicker Man remake next week should be a delight.

Everybody's got their hoped-for film to be covered, and mine's Quentin Tarantino Presents Hell Ride. It's too ripe to pass up.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

thepopstalinist posted:

...How Did This Get Made...

Everybody's got their hoped-for film to be covered, and mine's Quentin Tarantino Presents Hell Ride. It's too ripe to pass up.

You should suggest that to them. They'd probably do it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Thread is in a new subforum, rejoice.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

thepopstalinist posted:

Anybody else like How Did This Get Made? They generally do pretty well for themselves but I was disappointed that they wasted PFT on The Smurfs. Their best podcasts have invariably been about movies that are more incomprehensible than bad (though being bad helps). Their discussion of the Wicker Man remake next week should be a delight.

I like this show OK. It's an awful lot of Jason Manzukas saying "It makes *no* sense" over and over but some episodes are really gems. I loved the one on Sucker Punch and I'm even sort of a Sucker Punch apologist.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Capm posted:

I like this show OK. It's an awful lot of Jason Manzukas saying "It makes *no* sense" over and over but some episodes are really gems. I loved the one on Sucker Punch and I'm even sort of a Sucker Punch apologist.

I think their best has been Fast Five (with Adam Scott!). Crank 2 and The Tourist were good too.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I think their best has been Fast Five (with Adam Scott!). Crank 2 and The Tourist were good too.

Fast Five or Mac and Me were their best, as far as I'm concerned. It's a nice light podcast, I rarely crack up but it's always enjoyable.

I have been hating them all not being in the studio at the same time. The Skype kind of sucks.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I had to quit listening to How Did This Get Made? when I realized their abuse of the word "literally" overshadowed anything else they said. That and it was mostly surface-level event coverage of the film and how it made *no* sense.

Cuts into my Walking the Room time, where a cuddlah can learn about eating pancakes on an airplane, as mentioned in the most recent episode with Kyle Kinane.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
That was a great episode of Walking the Room. I loved Kyle Kinane siding with the hobotang.

I'm going to the Starfish Circus show on monday, really looking forward to it.

Production
Jun 11, 2001
I still listen to How Did This Get Made? because I love bad movies too much. I prefer it when they have more to say other than how BONKERS the movies was, though.

The Flop House is the pinnacle of bad movie podcasts. The hosts have amazing chemistry (and 2/3 of the primary hosts at this point are writers for the Daily Show, if that's a selling point) and I think it really helps that the show is better structured. They're able to get a lot more specific about the bizarre details and play off them really well.

We Hate Movies is great at times. Jim Belushi, Clint Howard, and Michael Caine are up there with Nicolas Cage for great targets. Yeah, It's That Bad is probably in my 4th place for bad movie podcasts just because it's the least polished of the ones I listen to, but again, I like bad movies enough that sometimes it's still fantastic.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

thepopstalinist posted:

Anybody else like How Did This Get Made? They generally do pretty well for themselves but I was disappointed that they wasted PFT on The Smurfs. Their best podcasts have invariably been about movies that are more incomprehensible than bad (though being bad helps).

Agreed. I enjoy the podcast overall, but it's far from perfect. For example, it seriously annoys me when they focus on aspects of bad movies that aren't supposed to make sense, or are supposed to be odd...and then act like they were supposed to make sense or not be odd.

For example, the "All About Steve" review focused on how creepy and weird Sandra Bullock's character is. Uh, loving duh? That's clearly what the writers and director were going for. The reason why it's an unbelievably awful movie is because the character, while odd and quirky, was in no ways balanced out by being endearing, charming, or even remotely funny. She's nowhere near a redeemable character. So it's kind of disappointing when the theme of the episode becomes, "This chick is weird! What is the deal with that?", instead of "Holy poo poo the writers went WAY over the top making this chick weird and forgot to make her at all likable."

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Does the WTF Premium account get access to every episode of WTF? Like if I buy the one month, can I listen to the Mencia and Louis CK episodes?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Slotducks posted:

Does the WTF Premium account get access to every episode of WTF? Like if I buy the one month, can I listen to the Mencia and Louis CK episodes?

I haven't been following WTF lately so I'm not sure what premium is, but the RSS feed has all of the episodes available:

http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/rss

edit: Oh, maybe not... Could there be a limit on the viewable entries? They are still in my RSS reader and the media is still there though.

Here's some links

Louis CK part 1: http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_111_LOUIS_CK.mp3
Louis CK part 2: http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_112_LOUIS_CK_PT2.mp3

Mencia: http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_75_-_CARLOS_MENCIA.mp3

edit 2: oh, looks like Mencia episode isn't there any more. You better get the Louie CK ones quick if they are in the process of taking them down.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 22, 2011

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I have the WTF app for Android and it gives you all episodes from the beginning. Not sure how the iPhone one works but it's probably the same.

vvv Yeah I should have mentioned I was referring to the paid one vvv

Sexy Randal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jxfallout
Jul 3, 2010

Sexy Randal posted:

I have the WTF app for Android and it gives you all episodes from the beginning. Not sure how the iPhone one works but it's probably the same.

It should be noted that there are two Android apps...

The free ap (which gives access to the 50 most recent epidoses)

https://market.android.com/details?id=tv.wizzard.android.wtfpod151

http://www.appbrain.com/app/wtf-with-marc-maron/tv.wizzard.android.wtfpod151

The paid "2011" app (which I believe gives you access to every episode plus bonus content; good until the end of 2011)

https://market.android.com/details?id=tv.wizzard.android.wtfpod357

http://www.appbrain.com/app/wtf-with-marc-maron-2011-pass/tv.wizzard.android.wtfpod357

The episode guide on his site breaks it down a bit better:

http://www.wtfpod.com/guide

jxfallout fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 22, 2011

• Locked thread