Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cylon Dinner Party
Dec 2, 2003

bored now.

Kirk posted:

im almost done Bleak Seasons of the black company

its clearly not as good as the first trilogy (the backwards march through the windy country fuckin owned assholes) but i'm still enjoying it quite a bit.

The last two books are awesome. Hang in there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bedshaped posted:

i usually do a bit of research (talking w/ friends, internet) before i buy a book but i just bought this from the cover alone:

i'm only 50 pages in. anyone read?

That's the gas giant one, right? I liked it.

edit: I'm not really a fantasy guy but like 5 people have recommended Jack Vance's Dying Earth books, worth a look?

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 20, 2011

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

qirex posted:

That's the gas giant one, right? I liked it.

edit: I'm not really a fantasy guy but like 5 people have recommended Jack Vance's Dying Earth books, worth a look?

I got the "Tales of the Dying Earth" compilation. I've started reading it a few times, then stopped after a few chapters. For the first book at least, each chapter is a short story where either main character from the previous story becomes a minor character, or a minor character from the previous story becomes the main character. It's kind of neat I guess, but I don't know if the rest of the books work the same way. I'm not really a fantasy guy either, so I never end up finishing it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bedshaped posted:

i usually do a bit of research (talking w/ friends, internet) before i buy a book but i just bought this from the cover alone:

after this read against a dark background

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mr_jim posted:

I got the "Tales of the Dying Earth" compilation. I've started reading it a few times, then stopped after a few chapters. For the first book at least, each chapter is a short story where either main character from the previous story becomes a minor character, or a minor character from the previous story becomes the main character. It's kind of neat I guess, but I don't know if the rest of the books work the same way. I'm not really a fantasy guy either, so I never end up finishing it.
it's a compilation of four novels. the first was written in 1950, and (as you discovered) is a collection of interlinked short stories. the second and third books, written in 1966 and 1983, are longer novels about a quick-witted (but awesomely self-centered) confidence man who gets sent on a long series of adventures. the fourth novel (from 1984) is about a cabal of supremely bitchy arch-magicians. All are terrific, but they're very different from one another. vance's prose is good enough to be considered Real Literature.

the first two books were extremely influential on the development of dungeons & dragons. how many d&disms can you spot in the text?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

haveblue posted:

after this read against a dark background

yeah but what book?

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

wait wait wait

not book related but I watched the "our man bashir" episode of DS9 last night after not having seen it in a while and it loving owned

that's all, continue

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

FMguru posted:

the first two books were extremely influential on the development of dungeons & dragons. how many d&disms can you spot in the text?

one almost every page or two, from what i've read.

and yeah, his prose is pretty good, and the setting is interesting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

yeah but what book?

:wal: :stat:

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

FEMA summer camp posted:

wait wait wait

not book related but I watched the "our man bashir" episode of DS9 last night after not having seen it in a while and it loving owned

that's all, continue

sometimes i watch in the pale moonlight over and over

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

haveblue posted:

:wal: :stat:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kirk posted:

sometimes i watch in the pale moonlight over and over
same, but with the tribbles episode.

when ds9 was good, it was really, really good.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
revelation space is pretty cool

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

revelation space is pretty cool

I liked the side stories better like Chasm City and The Prefect, the story of Sky was cool but the main plot ends with a giant interdimensional deus ex machina

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I'm reading black company 2 now

feeling pretty bad for poor old shed

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
i read lois mcmaster bujolds diplomatic immunity and its not as good as her other books, miles is too old, married miles = gay.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Amethyst posted:

I'm reading black company 2 now

feeling pretty bad for poor old shed

dont

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i finished ds9 again so now i'm watching stargate atlantis which owns

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
heres five dollars go see a star war

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

CoupleBeersNoBeers posted:

heres five dollars go see a star war

no don't!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Bedshaped posted:

i liked it

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

i finished ds9 again

yes

quote:

so now i'm watching stargate atlantis which owns

no

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Kirk posted:

no

yes

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
you gotta admit though,

jason momoa

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
stargate atlantis is pretty bad

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

jason momoa

"actor"

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

ahhh spiders posted:

stargate atlantis is bad

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
me makeum surf in hawaii. now me makeum muscles in hollywood movie. me jason momoa. *nods sagely*

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
current pro tv shows:

breaking bad

uhh

toby
Dec 4, 2002

i just recently watched the first two seasons of Damages, it's pretty good imo

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
eureka, warehouse 13, sons of anarchy, archer, dr who, intervention, it's always sunny in philadelphia, jersey shore

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

ahhh spiders posted:

intervention

i have a morbid fascination with watching people suffer

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
thats why i post

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
louie
wilfred

toby
Dec 4, 2002

oh yeah i like louie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
castle

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
who the gently caress unironically watches jersey shore

or ironically

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
louie owns

man ive been avoiding sons of anarchy because i had it confused with that lovely TV show Sons of Butcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
waiting for someone to post some csi variant or criminal minds so ican hack into their computer and turn it into a bomb and kill them

• Locked thread