Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I've never been able to see The Mighty Boosh as anything more than two fairly intelligent, naturally amusing men getting blazed and pissed up and spending an hour or two playing several dozen games of mad-libs and writing a half-arsed script around it. French hipster sharks playing bongos in chefs hats, lol! Green cockneys singing about eels, haha! One-eyed jellyfish flying a helicopter into the Louvre, rofl!

I honestly thought that both of Noel Fielding's appearances on Big Fat Quiz were atrocious and his "I'm going to pretend I don't know the answer and hijack the show with my quote-unquote 'ironic' and precious one-liners lol Gordon Brown threw satsumas and nightmares" gimmick got old very, very, very fast.

All that said, when Fielding isn't doing all of that bullshit I honestly do believe he's a very witty man and an engaging personality, and is frequently very funny on Buzzcocks. Just that then he'd ruin it by wearing a cape just so that he could point out he was wearing a cape and was hence being random, and hence funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I am baffled by the lot of you.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Just finished watching Misfits for the first time on 4od http://www.channel4.com/programmes/misfits/4od absolutely brilliant highly recommended for anybody who likes dark comedy. See the next series is set for next month but my main reason for watching isn't going to be in it any more :(

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bioalchemist posted:

Just finished watching Misfits for the first time on 4od http://www.channel4.com/programmes/misfits/4od absolutely brilliant highly recommended for anybody who likes dark comedy. See the next series is set for next month but my main reason for watching isn't going to be in it any more :(

Came here to post about the Misifts Online: Vegas Baby! that came out a few days ago. Such a great way to wrap up the character. They've been fairly successful with their new characters, so hopefully the replacement will will be up to scratch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The best bits of the Mighty Boosh are just the bits where Fielding and the other one are talking - the back-and-forth was way better than any of the faux-random bullshit, which unfortunately got more prevalent as the show went on.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Get a grip UK telly thread the Mighty Boosh was great

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The first series was great, when it was a bit more controlled. It went completely off the rails after that.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The first series was great, when it was a bit more controlled. It went completely off the rails after that.

So it's a bit like Frankie Boyle: only really funny when there's limits in place.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

It's British Bake-Off Time!

I am quite ridiculously overexcited for Pudding Week!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

GBB is doing cheesecake, roulade and profiteroles this week, gonna feel very hungry by the end of it.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I just ate like an entire chicken I have hunger proofed myself. Also hell yes I am totally watching them dissect a horse afterwards on 4+1.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Yasmin is a braver woman than I, both making her own biscuits and smacking Paul "The Silver Fox" Hollywoods' hands away from her cheesecake.

Also, I love Sue Perkins. "Team Estrogen", hah!

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Oh christ these cheesecakes are magnificent.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wormophile posted:

Oh christ these cheesecakes are magnificent.

Wanna stick my face in Janets' cheesecake. It looked like the sort of thing you get when you arrive at the pearly gates if you've been really good.

(How difficult is it to make posh chocolate Swiss roll? Apparently very difficult indeed...)

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Irisi posted:

Wanna stick my face in Janets' cheesecake. It looked like the sort of thing you get when you arrive at the pearly gates if you've been really good.

(How difficult is it to make posh chocolate Swiss roll? Apparently very difficult indeed...)

How can people trying to roll up baked chocolate things be so heart wrenching?

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
gently caress Jo and her tight roulade. You can't bake away your mental illness you crazy bitch.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I would go even gayer than usual for Sue Perkins :allears:

Some of these people are very bad at making roulade though.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Noreaus posted:

I would go even gayer than usual for Sue Perkins :allears:

Nah sorry darlin she's mine. You can have Mel (pppppfffttt :mmmhmm:)

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wormophile posted:

gently caress Jo and her tight roulade. You can't bake away your mental illness you crazy bitch.

I don't waaaaant Mad Jo to win. Or OCD Holly.

I want Mary-Anne & Janet to have a wobbly-chinned, googly-eyed final bake-off against each other. That'd be lovely.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Why did she make a house and hide it underneath the tower? I don't understand.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Irisi posted:

I don't waaaaant Mad Jo to win. Or OCD Holly.

I want Mary-Anne & Janet to have a wobbly-chinned, googly-eyed final bake-off against each other. That'd be lovely.

Oh noooo! But then who would I root for? I need it to be Mary Anne battling the forces of evil (the human incarnation of which is Holly)

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Ben Soosneb posted:

Why did she make a house and hide it underneath the tower? I don't understand.

Where did she get the time to do it, if Janet ran put of time and couldn't finish?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Well that was a sensible elimination, Yasmin should probably have gone 2 weeks ago and I think even she knew it.

What a nice hour of television. (I just wish OCD Holly would stop crying at the drop of a hat)

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Count me in on the hate Mighty Boosh, but really like Noel Fielding crew.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
I hated the mighty boosh, it was just wacky shite, comedy hero and legend Bernard manning sums up my thoughts on it. RIP bernard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iql6KEraAYo

"Put the football on..."

Yeah my thoughts exactly.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

LE0N posted:

I hated the mighty boosh, it was just wacky shite, comedy hero and legend Bernard manning sums up my thoughts on it. RIP bernard.

"Put the football on..."

This only deepens my resolve. You know you're on the wrong side when Bernard Manning is agreeing with you.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Wormophile posted:

This only deepens my resolve. You know you're on the wrong side when Bernard Manning is agreeing with you.

Nah, the mighty boosh is shite. Pure unadulterated shite.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

LE0N posted:

"Put the football on..."

Can we please use someone who isn't as utterly repulsive as Bernard Manning to back us up on this?

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Nope you are all Bernard Mannings in my eyes now

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

LE0N posted:

"Put the football on..."

gently caress that dead racist fat fucker.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He did have such excellent timing.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
I had high hopes when I saw this on the iPlayer. Regimental Stories a BBC4 documentary about regiments of the British Army. Episode 1 The Royal Welsh. I fpund it a bit disappointing, don't know whether they just started with a bit of a boring regiment, I mean it literally was 29 minutes of "Rourke's Drift wasn't exactly like the 1960s film Zulu" and "this is what they do on St David's Day". Hopefully the next one on the Parachute regiment will be more interesting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mr. Squishy posted:

He did have such excellent timing.

They say that about the Nazi Blitzkrieg of Europe too.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It's a loving disgrace.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Leyburn posted:

It's a loving disgrace.

That bit of Brass Eye is basically the only good thing he's ever done.

And to be fair, the sort of awful scene that he was part of resulted in the Alternative comedy scene that gave us people like The Dangerous Brothers, Alexei Sayle, Ben Elton, French and Saunders, Lenny Henry, and Nigel Planer... well, basically without gits like Manning, we wouldn't have had The Young Ones.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 21, 2011

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

ChuckDHead posted:

That bit of Brass Eye is basically the only good thing he's ever done.

He was a major influence on the character of 'Pop' from LoG. On the commentary the cast mention they got the idea of him slapping his own face really hard from Manning as he used to do it on stage to get rid of the sweat dripping down his face. Plus you're forgetting the time we mixed his DNA with that of a tomato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r6WRAK_q8s

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
kidbrain mongs who hate jokes and love foreigners itt :rolleyes:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I really liked the Mighty Boosh radio series and the first series of the TV show, but id does become incredibly annoying.

Julian Barratt is fantastic in Nathan Barley though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Couple of interesting new shows start tonight, first of all The Fades on BBC 3 at 9pm, written by Jack Thorne who co-wrote This is England '86 and episodes of SKins and Shameless, here's the trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7clIVVUQko
There's also the previously mentioned Fresh Meat, written by the creators of Peep Show starting on Channel 4 at 10pm tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

keep punching joe posted:

Julian Barratt is fantastic in Nathan Barley though.
Nathan Barley is fantasic. :can: