Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I just bought Gateway's FHD2303L monitor and have been noticing a faint high pitched squeal coming from it. I can really only notice it when I turn my head, but I can't help but think this is okay. I've been using a laptop for the past few years and it's always been entirely silent, so maybe it's just the way this monitor is, but I figured I'd ask so I can deal with it before I go back to college.

e: Actually I just read a review on Amazon that mentioned the same thing. It's pretty drat irritating, might have to exchange it.

It's the backlight inverter, it's loving endemic with Gateway, I swear. Turn up your brightness and see if it goes away. On my old 21" Gateway, it would go away at around 80 brightness. Of course, the image will probably look awful, so it may just be a stopgap measure.

Dog eats Dog posted:

I am thinking about getting ones of these. Is the 2010 worth $100 more than the 2012?

I use my computer mostly for some gaming (non fps games), watching shows and just general use.

If you don't need the plethora of inputs of the U2410, go for the 2412. See OP for details and differences between them.

low-key-taco posted:

Anyone have experience with the LG IPS236V? It looks like a cheap IPS panel but it has HDMI (which I could use) and it's $200. There's also the Asus ML239H which is cheaper

Nope, but it should be fairly decent if it's sporting a LG-made IPS panel. Can you check it out in person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

movax posted:

It's the backlight inverter, it's loving endemic with Gateway, I swear. Turn up your brightness and see if it goes away. On my old 21" Gateway, it would go away at around 80 brightness. Of course, the image will probably look awful, so it may just be a stopgap measure.

Is it going to get worse with time? A lot of poo poo I saw when Googling seemed to think that was a big risk, though that was with like CRTs and poo poo and for different reasons. Right now it's manageable, I use earbuds anyways.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

zachol posted:

A pound is about one and a half dollars (1.6), so that's a twinge under a thousand dollars.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884471-5163694.html

Turns out its $730 holy poo poo. No idea about the actual response time, it doesn't seem like it uses overdrive judging by HP's given specs, but if you need a 27" computer monitor it looks pretty nice.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Bought the Asus ML249H MVA display on a whim even though the 23" was IPS as I read complaints about some sort of coating on the 23" Asus and LG cheap IPS displays having issues with text.

The Asus has an oddly limited number of inputs (VGA + HDMI) though it comes with a DVI to HDMI cable and the bezel is kinda weird, but the display is beautiful. I don't know how it compares to higher end IPS displays but to me it looks better than anything this side of an iMac. Huge improvement over my old TN monitor.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Are you guys aware of any displays around 40" that do better than 1080p? Ideally 2560x1440/1600 for use with my Macs.

I've a 40" Toshiba LED at 1080p, but drat everything looks huge.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Got a U2412 and comparing it to my old SyncMaster 2493HM is like night and day.

(or, if you prefer, the difference between :gizz: and :flaccid:)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My Sceptre monitor has always given me issues but I'm not sure if this is a sceptre issue or my HD4890.

Since last night on my right monitor (sceptre) I randomly get red horizontal lines across the width of the screen (like a single one couple pixels tall), or random little freckles of red or black or whatever. It's not like another situation where it looks like the color banding or other elements in whatever you're looking at somehow got a red or green spraypaint can from MSPaint brushed over your monitor (I've had that before as well but not for a very long time. When I had it in for repairs they mentioned it was a bad capacitor when I had that issue).

The lines only show up for less than a second (a quick flash) and the freckles are only noticeable if you focus but it gets a lot more obvious when you're not just typing but playing a game or watching a movie because for obvious reasons.

Anyways on my left monitor I'm using a smaller emachines? monitor and I don't seem to be having the same issue. It only seems to effect the sceptre.

I could try switching dvi cords (both are hooked up via dvi-d iirc) and ports on the graphics card...but I've done that before in the past and it never seemed to change anything.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? I don't really have the money to buy a new gfx card or monitor D:

My card isn't overheating either, it's at its normal temp and it's not overclocked.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 17, 2011

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

pipebomb posted:

Are you guys aware of any displays around 40" that do better than 1080p? Ideally 2560x1440/1600 for use with my Macs.

I've a 40" Toshiba LED at 1080p, but drat everything looks huge.

They exist, but there's no consumer market for them... which means they are extremely high quality professional devices. IIRC, pricing starts around $20,000.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Zhentar posted:

They exist, but there's no consumer market for them... which means they are extremely high quality professional devices. IIRC, pricing starts around $20,000.

I better only get two then.
;-)

So a 30" is about the best price to resolution value around then, yes?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I think this is monitor related enough. Is there a program that lets windows "snap" to the edges of other windows or the monitor? I'm thinking of functionality similar to how Skype snaps to the edges of the monitor. I'm running Windows 7 x64.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

unpronounceable posted:

I think this is monitor related enough. Is there a program that lets windows "snap" to the edges of other windows or the monitor? I'm thinking of functionality similar to how Skype snaps to the edges of the monitor. I'm running Windows 7 x64.
I get that functionality packaged as part of DisplayFusion, which if you don't have it is an absolutely awesome piece of software for multi-monitor setups. If you're just rockin' a single monitor, though, there are free programs that can do that, such as WindowSpace.

pipebomb posted:

I better only get two then.
;-)

So a 30" is about the best price to resolution value around then, yes?
1920x1200/1080 more or less maxes out at 24", and 2560x1440 really does kinda max out at 30". You can certainly get bigger, but I wouldn't suggest it unless there's a reason (like it's going to be on the other side of a room so you won't notice the poor resolution:size ratio). 30" is also where the "consumer" section ends for monitors. Bigger than that and either you need to get a TV (with all the related issues there) or you have to jump to a professional model which, as noted, will absolutely destroy your pocketbook simply because the manufacturers know that they're selling 99.9% to corporations and people with expense accounts. Eg, people who don't really care if it costs $20k.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 19, 2011

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You'll be really, really happy with a nice 30," even (especially) coming from TVs. Even though you're getting 10" less diagonal space, you get literally twice the number of pixels to use. You'll certainly have to sit closer than you did for a 40" tv though!

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Yeah, I just got rid of two 30"' Dells - was waiting for the Thunderbolt Display, but got tired of waiting and ordered the 40". I hosed around with it all day today, got irritated at not being able to get it sharp enough and put it back in the box. back to my 27" Asus for now I guess.
Thanks for the thoughts all.

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I work on the computer for at least 10 hours daily, so i need something that wont totally destroy my eyes.

Now i generally dont like the 1920x1080 resolutions because the font is so drat tiny and causes eyestrain after prolonged use.

can anybody recommend perhaps a 1680x1050 panel that's easy on the eyes, and has nice color replication, decent response rate / viewing angles and all that good stuff? I have heard about the dell 2209wa, but people are saying those tend to have issues..... really overwhelmed by all the choices here....

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Phatzilla posted:

I work on the computer for at least 10 hours daily, so i need something that wont totally destroy my eyes.

Now i generally dont like the 1920x1080 resolutions because the font is so drat tiny and causes eyestrain after prolonged use.

can anybody recommend perhaps a 1680x1050 panel that's easy on the eyes, and has nice color replication, decent response rate / viewing angles and all that good stuff? I have heard about the dell 2209wa, but people are saying those tend to have issues..... really overwhelmed by all the choices here....

The 2209WA is nice, but I don't know if you'll like anti-glare coating or not (all Dell Ultrasharps have a matte AG coating that really bugs the poo poo out of some people).

I would look at PVA/MVA based panels (Samsung Syncmasters and similar) that will deliver the performance you want at a very good price. If you have a Best Buy nearby, they will almost certainly have PVA-based Samsung displays to look at.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

I get that functionality packaged as part of DisplayFusion, which if you don't have it is an absolutely awesome piece of software for multi-monitor setups. If you're just rockin' a single monitor, though, there are free programs that can do that, such as WindowSpace.

Thanks for the names. Window Space isn't free (anymore?), but hopefully I'm gonna get a second monitor soon. I'll take your word that Display fusion is worth the money.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

unpronounceable posted:

Thanks for the names. Window Space isn't free (anymore?), but hopefully I'm gonna get a second monitor soon. I'll take your word that Display fusion is worth the money.
DisplayFusion is absolutely worth every penny. The ability to have a task bar on the second monitor, have each task bar only have items for that particular monitor, and have start buttons or clocks wherever you want is a really huge convenience in my book. Plus you get a lot of other stuff, like window snapping and the ability to have it automatically reposition specified windows onto a given monitor.

Garbanian
Sep 18, 2011

GUUUUUURRRRLLLLL
For anyone who has a 3D monitor, or has used one in the past, maybe you can help me out.

With the technology (Nvidia Vision) is the 3D effect more of a 3DS depth type thing, or more of a "things pop out at ya" type thing?

Cheers

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

unpronounceable posted:

Check out win-split revolution for snap to functionality. For multi-monitor support you'll want ultramon. Both are free and run perfect on xp and 7 x64.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Ultramon has a free 30d trial, but afterwards is $40.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

DrDork posted:

Ultramon has a free 30d trial, but afterwards is $40.
Uninstall, reinstall, rinse and repeat.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If I want a 24" monitor with:
lots of connections
awesome color fidelity and depth
good price

a refurbished u2410 for around $350 is a no-brainer, right?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ShaneB posted:

lots of connections
good price

Yep, it meets all that criteria. Who are you buying it from? Make sure you still get the Premium Panel guarantee so you can keep RMAing until you get a display with zero dead pixels, etc.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Ok so I guess I'm going to just get a nice monitor and forget about saving 30 dollars here or there.

Should I get the u2311h (from secondary sellers off amazon) or the ViewSonic VP2365WB 23 inch which might be about the same or a bit cheaper? They're both about 280ish dollars.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

Ok so I guess I'm going to just get a nice monitor and forget about saving 30 dollars here or there.

Should I get the u2311h (from secondary sellers off amazon) or the ViewSonic VP2365WB 23 inch which might be about the same or a bit cheaper? They're both about 280ish dollars.

If the U2311H is brand-new from the seller on Amazon, and you are decent human being who can carry on a conversation, you should get that and hook its serial up with Dell for any future warranty / RMA issues. I got my U3011 brand-new from a guy over a [H] forums and called up Dell with the serial number, and they did some magic in their records system to put that display in my name.

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY

movax posted:

Yep, it meets all that criteria. Who are you buying it from? Make sure you still get the Premium Panel guarantee so you can keep RMAing until you get a display with zero dead pixels, etc.

Speaking of which, I had a bit of a nightmare with Dell customer service regarding the Premium Panel Guarantee.

Apparently their Premium Panel Guarantee functions in that if you receive your new monitor, if there are any dead pixels they will exchange it with a brand new panel within 21 days of purchase. After the 21 days is up, you get a refurbished one. I had to find this out the hard way. I ordered a U3011 last month. Before I go any further, I'm not knocking Dell. At all. This is hands-down the best panel I've ever used in my life. Period. Dot. End of story.

Monitor came, and there was a dead pixel. Called Dell up, they told me they would send me a new one. Great! Except when the replacement arrived it came in a box that was clearly marked "Refurbished". I call Dell tech support again. The rep informed me that sometimes "retailers will send their excess supply back to Dell, and while the monitor has not been used, it is considered refurbished". I told the rep "Hey, that's fine, I've got no problem with using this monitor, but if I take it out of the box and use it and there's no dead pixels I'll keep it, but you're going to refund me a portion of the money I paid for a new one". Dell rep places me on hold, comes back and tells me they're going to send me a new panel.

Second replacement comes and it's DOA. Plugged the monitor in, pushed the power button, nothing. Called Dell again, explained to them the situation, and they sent me a 3rd panel, which thankfully worked like a charm, and had no dead pixels.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

movax posted:

If I bought it now, which is doubtful, it would be off eBay. It's manufacturer refurbished, not sure about what qualifies for Premium Panel guarantee...

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

movax posted:

If the U2311H is brand-new from the seller on Amazon, and you are decent human being who can carry on a conversation, you should get that and hook its serial up with Dell for any future warranty / RMA issues. I got my U3011 brand-new from a guy over a [H] forums and called up Dell with the serial number, and they did some magic in their records system to put that display in my name.

Is 285 USD including shipping and tax a good price for the U2311H? It's new.

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 2, 2013

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Apologies ahead of time for any stupid questions, I'm pretty new to this and still not very tech-savvy.

I'm looking for a monitor for a workstation, namely for modeling and texturing. Color fidelity is pretty important to me so from what I gather I need an IPS, but after that I'm having trouble tracking down a monitor that is both within my budget and is geared towards what I need. Most of the reviews seem to be coming from people buying more for a gaming system than a work one.

This is kind of a starter monitor for now and I plan on upgrading to something nicer in the future, so as long as it's a relatively decent one, I'm happy. I really don't want to spend more than 300 and monitor size doesn't really matter too much. Like I said, I'll get some a serious dual monitor setup later down the line and I just need something that'll work well until then.

edit: Though if there's a seriously good monitor that's just worth getting but pricier, I'll take it into consideration. It's possible for me to spend more, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

a computer ghost fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 23, 2011

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005
Just because I had a fantastic experience with this monitor mount, I figured I'd post a quick thing about it if anyone is in the market for a good monitor mount.

I bought two Ergotron MX Desk Mounts to mount my 27" iMac and 27" ACD on at my office and I must say, their quality is absolutely astounding. Not only does it hold up the almost 30lb iMac with ease, but it allows for amazing maneuverability and customization on the fly. I'm really pleased with the mount overall and strongly recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a mount.

Link to the mount: here

and obligatory picture:

Diovanti
Aug 19, 2003
no afterlife
No matter how careful I am with LCDs, I always wind up scratching them. Furthermore, I hate trying to clean the drat things. Screw this, the next monitor I buy will have a GLASS screen. The Apple Cinema displays look good, however from I gather, they have poor PC support (no OSD, can't change the brightness) Trying to find other LCDs with glass screen and decent resolution 1920x1200+ is proving difficult.

Does anyone know of any monitors with glass screens out there?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think the glass on an iMac (or other Apple display) is very scratch resistant anyway.

Normal LCDs are pretty tough anyway, the two I'm looking at now have been transported to a tonne of LANs and are undamaged so I don't know how you wind up damaging yours.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Adel posted:

I'm looking for a monitor for a workstation, namely for modeling and texturing. Color fidelity is pretty important to me so from what I gather I need an IPS, but after that I'm having trouble tracking down a monitor that is both within my budget and is geared towards what I need. Most of the reviews seem to be coming from people buying more for a gaming system than a work one.

I really don't want to spend more than 300 and monitor size doesn't really matter too much. Like I said, I'll get some a serious dual monitor setup later down the line and I just need something that'll work well until then.

Dell's 23" UltraSharp is right around $300. I think the only real downside is it's 16:9.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Adel posted:

Apologies ahead of time for any stupid questions, I'm pretty new to this and still not very tech-savvy.

This is kind of a starter monitor for now and I plan on upgrading to something nicer in the future, so as long as it's a relatively decent one, I'm happy. I really don't want to spend more than 300 and monitor size doesn't really matter too much. Like I said, I'll get some a serious dual monitor setup later down the line and I just need something that'll work well until then.

edit: Though if there's a seriously good monitor that's just worth getting but pricier, I'll take it into consideration. It's possible for me to spend more, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

People seem to be getting the Dell U2412 for around $325 if you're interested in stretching your budget and wait for a sale or haggle on the phone.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I previously posted:

lots of connections
good price

What if I remove the "lots of connections" part? What's my best option for a sRBG-gamut IPS panel in the 24" range?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ShaneB posted:

I previously posted:

lots of connections
good price

What if I remove the "lots of connections" part? What's my best option for a sRBG-gamut IPS panel in the 24" range?

You get what Dell did if they removed the "lots of connections" part, the U2412M. 6-bit panel, drops to only digital connections. ZR24W from HP isn't a bad choice either.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

movax posted:

You get what Dell did if they removed the "lots of connections" part, the U2412M. 6-bit panel, drops to only digital connections. ZR24W from HP isn't a bad choice either.

6-bit isn't the same gamut though, correct?

Also what about something like the NEC P221W?

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 23, 2011

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ShaneB posted:

The U2412 is still sRGB, and virtually nobody can tell the difference between it and a full 8-bit panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ShaneB posted:

What Crackbone said. For the U2311H, which also uses a 6-bit panel, some reviewers didn't even notice until they were told about it, which should speak volumes about its performance. I think you'd be absolutely happy with a U2412M or a ZR24W. I don't know much about that NEC aside from the fact that NEC has put out a few legendary, very professional grade LCDs. The UltraSharps are at the high-end of prosumer, but there are better options for "serious professionals".