Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Yes, give them time to get in to work mode first. Nobody likes being pestered before lunch on a Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Ok, Mr Podunkian, I know you're out there, and I'm calling you out, because:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph60iKWmtos

Day-um. That is freaking awesome. Well done.

(indiegames.com broke the story, but I have to assume this'll spread fast)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Oh God! Podunkian is the guy behind that? Fantastic.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Holy christ, great job, Podunkian. Enjoy working at Valve.

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011
Jesus christ is it a requirement for future valve employees to have an SA account? Congrats on the new gig Podunkian

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shalinor posted:

Indistinguishable from magic. What's happening in that video? Is the player saving the state of the zone and then adding a portal to a duplicate of that zone in the saved state? I can't even begin to understand how that works.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The worst thing about that video is his email is wrong at the end.

EDIT: After searching his site for the real one I emailed him letting him know, so hopefully he can fix it soon.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 19, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Black Eagle posted:

Indistinguishable from magic. What's happening in that video? Is the player saving the state of the zone and then adding a portal to a duplicate of that zone in the saved state? I can't even begin to understand how that works.

As someone without NEARLY the programming ability required to make this kind of thing, but with a fairly intuitive sense of design, that's probably what I would do. It seems like you can only save one snapshot at a time, so the actual memory requirements wouldn't very very harsh, and if your game logic is consistent, all those extra weird things would just happen naturally (like when he erases the black boxes from existence by having them fall through the portal into the future, and then walks through the portal into the past they've left).

I agree with the others here, congratulations on your new job at Valve! Because there's no way they aren't going to notice this. It would be a perfect concept for Portal 3.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

As someone without NEARLY the programming ability required to make this kind of thing, but with a fairly intuitive sense of design, that's probably what I would do. It seems like you can only save one snapshot at a time, so the actual memory requirements wouldn't very very harsh, and if your game logic is consistent, all those extra weird things would just happen naturally (like when he erases the black boxes from existence by having them fall through the portal into the future, and then walks through the portal into the past they've left).

I agree with the others here, congratulations on your new job at Valve! Because there's no way they aren't going to notice this. It would be a perfect concept for Portal 3.
Yep. Thirding (EDIT: Whatever'ing) the Valve thing - you just showed them one great way they could do a Portal 3 without it feeling like a rehash.

Agreed on the implementation, at least in terms of how I think I would do it. So long as you keep your number of stateful actors in the scene relatively limited, it would seemingly not be too difficult to persist the entire room / surrounding area into memory. I think you could probably even save more than one, but the game design implications of that and the requisite interactions between states if you change this world which technically took place after this other world and :psyboom: - so, uh, yeah, 1 state is fine. (though the theory is way, way easier than the practical)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 19, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Someone mentioned in the youtube comments "What if you take a snapshot of a portal?"

I'm really curious what the answer to that one is :psyduck:

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Someone mentioned in the youtube comments "What if you take a snapshot of a portal?"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

Agreed on the implementation, at least in terms of how I think I would do it. So long as you keep your number of stateful actors in the scene relatively limited, it would seemingly not be too difficult to persist the entire room / surrounding area into memory. I think you could probably even save more than one, but the game design implications of that and the requisite interactions between states if you change this world which technically took place after this other world and :psyboom: - so, uh, yeah, 1 state is fine. (though the theory is way, way easier than the practical)

Now that I think about it though, this actually wouldn't be really that complicated - it's not as if you actually need to model the implications of having stuff in the snapshot change stuff in the "future" - as the video demonstrates, it's totally fine to remove those black blocks from the "past" by having them fall through the portal - it just means you have twice as many in the "future".

I say "past" and "future" in quotes because what I've realized is so clever about the design is that it's not really implementing any sort of time travel - it just FEELS like it is. A snapshot is essentially just a savestate of the room at that point, with an exit portal placed at the location and orientation of the player. The trick is that you never actually have the ability to CHANGE that state; planting a portal doesn't actually create a link to the "past", what it does is just create a brand new room, load that save state into the room, and connect the two rooms via the portal you just placed. If you had the ability to say, wipe out the portal and place it again, it wouldn't load the modified room, it would load the room saved in the original state (essentially reset it to the point where you took the snapshot). Objects moving between them aren't really travelling through time, they're just moving around between rooms. You could even have it set up so the player can travel back and forth between a portal without any difficulty (he's just chosen not to allow that in the video - but there's no technical or logical reason why it wouldn't be possible). Adding more snapshots is really just a matter of creating more rooms - each snapshot would only require one extra room, and portals would just link them all together.

Obviously, you do have to put some sort of upper limit since every time you place a portal, you're doubling the number of objects in play, so too many and you'll bog down the CPU in all those physics calculations, but in purely abstract design terms, it's no more complicated to allow the user to take 10 snapshots than it is to take 1. You could even allow snapshots of portals; it would just create a link in your new room to an older room. This would probably cause some hardware issues without heavy restrictions though, as creating a portal to a room that's already got a portal in it would require creating not one but TWO rooms, from their respective save states. You would also need a good system in place for culling old save states since if this was allowed, you might have a situation where an old state has no currently active link, but which is linked via a portal in another saved state.

Anyway, I suppose it's a tribute to how interesting this idea is that I just vomited out three paragraphs about it. I am deeply envious of the clever simplicity of it.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 19, 2011

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Might be you can only take one screenshot and "cast" it on a wall, and need to move through the (apparently one-way) portal to reset it. You also need a way to limit the number of portals and clone levels you have around, especially if each has their own thing going on.

One thing I'm interested in is what if you miss some time sensitive thing and can't go back to what you need. Say you needed to catch those falling blocks so they fall through the portal to a place you need, but you don't get it and they land. I guess maybe always allow the player to cast a screenshot of the level entrance as it starts.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 19, 2011

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Shalinor posted:

(indiegames.com broke the story, but I have to assume this'll spread fast)

:drat: thats awesome. Goons are the best. Tell us how your new job as Valve is, podunkian. :allears:

So, 2:30, no email or anything. So I sent an email to the guy. Wondering if I should call too.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Podunkian's a pretty cool guy and I've enjoyed everything he's done ever since HL2JKS. I don't think it's made it into this thread yet but he also made the amazing Escape from Puppy Death Factory on Adult Swim. And a bunch of other games.

Ratatatatatatatat

Dogbroth
Nov 7, 2004
In line with my last rather useless heads-up, Codies are hiring again. It seems to be programmer-oriented this time, with all skill levels being considered right down to entry-level. There are positions open in other disciplines but they seem less flexible on experience.

I'd direct people to the website, but it seems to just be a Facebook page at the moment which is a bit odd. Regardless, the usual recruiters will probably be the people to get in touch with if anyone's interested.

We've just finished up the latest project, which means the office has that delightful laid-back air of calm after the storm. My card-house building ability has improved drastically.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Dogbroth posted:

In line with my last rather useless heads-up, Codies are hiring again. It seems to be programmer-oriented this time, with all skill levels being considered right down to entry-level. There are positions open in other disciplines but they seem less flexible on experience.

I'd direct people to the website, but it seems to just be a Facebook page at the moment which is a bit odd. Regardless, the usual recruiters will probably be the people to get in touch with if anyone's interested.

We've just finished up the latest project, which means the office has that delightful laid-back air of calm after the storm. My card-house building ability has improved drastically.

I'll take a look, I've dealt with the Fackbook site bit it's a pain in the shitter, have no idea why they did that.

Edit: seems to be all senior roles.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 19, 2011

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Dogbroth posted:

Got excited at hearing another company is hiring. Is it the one in england? :argh:

That facebook thing is weird, can't say i've seen a game company do it like that.

Just kind of wasting time here. Sent an email at 3, just called and left a message at 4. V:shobon:V The receptionist sounded surprised when I said I was calling for a followup. :tinfoil:

edit: vvv Ohhh, their website got hacked? They might have just tossed it and are starting a new one from scratch, maybe? That explains it :)

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 19, 2011

Dogbroth
Nov 7, 2004
The Facebook thing is very odd. I'm sure there used to be a site, but since the hacking perhaps it's been dumped.

It's for the UK studios, most of the recruitment goes through games recruitment agencies so it's more a suggestion to kick them up the arse if you're registered with them.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Man did this fly under the radar or something? No news off his blog about it until now. I haven't even heard about this until now. It's sadly good that he went and this before he continued work on that Underside game.

So awesome.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Bash Ironfist posted:

Got excited at hearing another company is hiring. Is it the one in england? :argh:

That facebook thing is weird, can't say i've seen a game company do it like that.

Just kind of wasting time here. Sent an email at 3, just called and left a message at 4. V:shobon:V The receptionist sounded surprised when I said I was calling for a followup. :tinfoil:

Yeah, poor you, not being in the verdant, rich pastures of the UK games industry. The best thing going for me on the horizon is a QA job I will probably be deemed "overqualified" for again.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Friend linked me to this thread. (TLDR: 80 hour art tests are bullshit.)

On the one hand I find it a little bit :qq: Seems to me that a talented artist can find other places than the aaa part of the game industry to land and do good work. There's lots of small studios that don't abuse employees, or educational games, or movies or design or many other things artists can do.

On the other it's more or less accurate and I have trouble defending the industry against disparaging comments made by friends about, "this is why I don't work in the game industry." There's some lovely companies of course, but there's also a lot of non-lovely companies.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Vino posted:

Podunkian's a pretty cool guy and I've enjoyed everything he's done ever since HL2JKS. I don't think it's made it into this thread yet but he also made the amazing Escape from Puppy Death Factory on Adult Swim. And a bunch of other games.

Ratatatatatatatat

Okay, new rule: no linking incredibly addictive long flash games unless you made them.

Can't... stop.. playing... :negative:

Maide fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 20, 2011

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor
Thanks for the kind words, nerds. I originally thought of the idea trying to come up with a mechanic for a potential K-10 game (Escape from Puppy Death Factory best ending spoiler), and I think it shows.

The idea's definitely something I want to pursue, but ultimately it depends on some factors I'll hopefully be able to sort out tomorrow. I have a lot of cool ideas up my sleeve for the mechanic, and I'm hoping I'll be given the chance to try 'em out.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So I only lasted 3 weeks at CrowdStar...until they promoted me to Mobile Games Producer!

Really loving the company, and my job is finding new mobile game ideas to invest in so it's interesting getting to see what people come up with.

If anyone is looking to get into mobile gaming, we have something like 25 open positions. If you see something that fits you at http://www.crowdstar.com/jobs/ just shoot me an IM at Comrade Flynn and I'll try to help you out (I've got two goons interviews already).

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
hmm.. i see QA testing..Nice. I'll see if I can do that. I've applied to.. like 10 of them near my area, haven't heard from that yet.

Especially the company I worked for last time said they don't have anything yet.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

So I only lasted 3 weeks at CrowdStar...until they promoted me to Mobile Games Producer!

Really loving the company, and my job is finding new mobile game ideas to invest in so it's interesting getting to see what people come up with.

If anyone is looking to get into mobile gaming, we have something like 25 open positions. If you see something that fits you at http://www.crowdstar.com/jobs/ just shoot me an IM at Comrade Flynn and I'll try to help you out (I've got two goons interviews already).

Have you met a nice fellow by the name of Chris Lamb? He is my most esteemed buddy.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Note Block posted:

Have you met a nice fellow by the name of Chris Lamb? He is my most esteemed buddy.

I have! We were actually living out of the same company hotel so we went out to dinner a few times. He's a content designer so I haven't had too much of a chance to work with him yet as my games are in early stages.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

I have! We were actually living out of the same company hotel so we went out to dinner a few times. He's a content designer so I haven't had too much of a chance to work with him yet as my games are in early stages.

Yay! He's an excellent designer and a good friend. I hope you get to work with him more soon!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Hey game designers (and recruiters, join in too), I'm wondering if any of you have transitioned from casual work to more core stuff and how the job-finding process went.

Right now I'm working on hidden object games; not very exciting but I'm basically leading a team of 6 which has been (and continues to be) an amazing learning experience. Talking to the other designers they've mentioned that they're worried that when trying to get a job in a studio that makes core/hardcore games that their experience would be seen as lesser or inferior than other designers' because "hidden objects? can you really call those games? yuck!"

I'm wondering if this fear is founded, or if recruiters can see past that? I don't plan on looking for work elsewhere for at least another 7 months, but ever since the topic was brought up it's been bothering me :shobon:

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Mango Polo posted:

Hey game designers (and recruiters, join in too), I'm wondering if any of you have transitioned from casual work to more core stuff and how the job-finding process went.

Right now I'm working on hidden object games; not very exciting but I'm basically leading a team of 6 which has been (and continues to be) an amazing learning experience. Talking to the other designers they've mentioned that they're worried that when trying to get a job in a studio that makes core/hardcore games that their experience would be seen as lesser or inferior than other designers' because "hidden objects? can you really call those games? yuck!"

I'm wondering if this fear is founded, or if recruiters can see past that? I don't plan on looking for work elsewhere for at least another 7 months, but ever since the topic was brought up it's been bothering me :shobon:
If you're doubtful about the inherent strength of your work, emphasize your skills instead. Doubtlessly you've developed organizational skills, iteration skills, coding and design skills, etc. These are things you have to acquire in order to succeed in all categories of games. As long as you have a firm grasp of what's going to be required of you and an open mind, the nature of your past games shouldn't be a gigantic hurdle.

In my opinion.™

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Mango Polo posted:

Hey game designers (and recruiters, join in too), I'm wondering if any of you have transitioned from casual work to more core stuff and how the job-finding process went

Two things:
1) If you're working on a hidden-object game that's freemium, you'll have no trouble landing something at any of the AAA companies who are going F2P. While my linkedin inbox has mostly stopped getting hardcore game spam, it gets a ton of requests for people looking for help with going F2P, including large AAA studios who have recently made or are making the transition. I'd probably use them as a stepping stone if I could.

2) I've interviewed lots of folks going the other way (from hardcore to casual) and while we have concerns about them making the switch, like M4rk said, it's more about the person than the things they've worked on. Do we think they'll like working on the games we make? Do we think they'll be able to apply their previous experience? Can they learn a new set of genres/audiences? And so on.

You'll be fine.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
I got some great feedback on my portfolio, and I've iterated on it, incorporating most of the big things. Anyone mind re-visiting the dang thing and letting me know if it is an improvement?

I'm aware that the resume link doesn't work yet, it's also getting a final spit and polish.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Pfhreak posted:

I got some great feedback on my portfolio, and I've iterated on it, incorporating most of the big things. Anyone mind re-visiting the dang thing and letting me know if it is an improvement?

I'm aware that the resume link doesn't work yet, it's also getting a final spit and polish.
The terrain's good to see - also cool to see an understanding of what it takes to turn procedural data into procedural data you might actually want to use in-game.

I'm curious about your "5 years in the industry" comment, but no resume yet. I thought you were breaking in still?

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Shalinor posted:

The terrain's good to see - also cool to see an understanding of what it takes to turn procedural data into procedural data you might actually want to use in-game.

I'm curious about your "5 years in the industry" comment, but no resume yet. I thought you were breaking in still?

Derp, I meant to write that as "5 years as a developer" which isn't in the games industry. :(

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

After all of these resume reviews, I feel it's fitting to have a job website review instead.

Where are you located? I clicked through a bunch of links and couldn't figure out where the job was.
On every page hitting 'Home' takes me back to the front page. Hitting home on the support page though takes me back to the support page.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Burlingame, in the south SF bay area. Took me a while to find it, too.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Crowdstar seems cool. It's all technical positions though.

So, never heard back from the person at Treyarch. I'm guessing I didn't get the job, which really bums me out. I need a job so bad. Gonna try maybe EA, see if I can get a job there. V:shobon:V

Edit: Vvv no, the interview was last monday, not yesterday. Oh, I did send and email message and left a note with the receptionist yesterday.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 21, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bash Ironfist posted:

So, never heard back from the person at Treyarch. I'm guessing I didn't get the job, which really bums me out. I need a job so bad. Gonna try maybe EA, see if I can get a job there. V:shobon:V

Wow, only one day past the expected follow-up date and you're already giving up? It varies from position to position and company to company, but I've had waiting periods of a month, on average, after an interview before getting a negative reply. Fastest I've ever had was 12 days. And when I finally did land my first job, it took a month and a half since the first interview until getting an offer.

In all cases but the 12 days one, they had largely overstepped their estimated follow-up date.

I'm sure everyone here can describe similar experiences. Just don't freak out over delays, keep the ball rolling and apply to different places, and follow-up to interviews until you have a confirmation as to getting hired or not. Just don't throw all your eggs in the same basket and apply to different positions, cause waiting for each application to run its course is really a toxic job searching experience.

Edit: Yes, I know precisely that the interview was a week ago. I still think you're getting worked up from not hearing anything one day past follow-up date.

Jan fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not to sound mean, you do realize that it takes a while to get a job in the industry right? It takes way more than one week.

Hell, you know how long it took for them to hire me at Sony QA even though they said now hiring? 3 months. Don't get discouraged. The process of getting hiring in a game industry takes a while.