Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

Simkin posted:

Anyone else going to be at CFSAC? We'll be the team there not wearing our sweet team baseball hats. :smith:

We're taking part in NSCC at the moment in Connaught - the range is ridiiiiiculously large. Today we ran the FIBUA matches, which included a rapid shoot at 25m - 3x3sec exposures, in which time you have to fire 10 shots on a fig 14 (hun's head). Watching the rangers do that with what amounts to a museum piece is awesome. Some of them even managed to get 9 out of 10 shots on target.

Also, falling plates matches are awesome. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

Just got here yesterday, brought a crew of Rangers in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Hizawk posted:

My cousin just finished Basic Military Officer Qualification and he's going RN. But, unfortunately he knows basically as much as you do about what it will be like. I can help answer questions you may have, but he probably does not know much.

I'm wondering if reservists do their basic with other health professionals like other people have mentioned in this thread, or will it be with all groups? Not as though it matters, just curious.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

WOFOC posted:

The "Mad Minute" is nothing new, and those guys have probably been using SMLEs longer than I've been alive. But you're right, that they're able to maintain a rate of fire equal to that of a modern semi-auto assault rifle with a design that was considered second rate in 1914 is quite a feat.

And you'll probably do your basic with people in all sorts of trades. Truck drivers, clerks, infantry, etc. Everyone gets the same BMQ/SQ.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

WOFOC posted:

Which CRPG?

CFSAC is now officially known as 'Came for Shwarmas and Coffee'

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
There is this guy in one of my classes at Uni who introduced himself as "a drill instructor in the army" which I found hardly convincing because he was a short, noodly armed fat guy and a total sociopath to boot. He kept making vague references to the military culture throughout the class and was a total dick overall.

I sort of want to call him out on his bullshit but I have little knowledge of the Canadian Forces. He said he was infantry, so he could have been in one of three (or two, since he doesn't speak French?) batallions, right? What rank would he need to have to be a "drill instructor"?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

An RMC cadet. :laugh:

Could be a Sgt, MCpl, or (I guess if they're really pressed for staff/he's a reservist) a Cpl. As with any organization, you'll run into a fair share of dicks, so maybe this guys is one. Just ask him what regiment he's with, and go from there.

If he's reg force, there's only three regiments - Vandooooooo, RCR, and PPCLI. If he's a reservist, well, there's quite a few he could be from.

Edit: Nobody ever specializes in drill in the CF, not unless they can help it. We don't have 'drill seargeants' it's just something that people get tasked with as part of running a course.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Serendipitaet posted:

There is this guy in one of my classes at Uni who introduced himself as "a drill instructor in the army" which I found hardly convincing because he was a short, noodly armed fat guy and a total sociopath to boot. He kept making vague references to the military culture throughout the class and was a total dick overall.

I sort of want to call him out on his bullshit but I have little knowledge of the Canadian Forces. He said he was infantry, so he could have been in one of three (or two, since he doesn't speak French?) batallions, right? What rank would he need to have to be a "drill instructor"?

We have drill instructors?

Easiest way to call him out: ask him about Cadets, and which regiment he's from. In that order.

Edit: ^^^ Yeah, exactly. I mean, there's one MCpl in my Res Sig Sqn who has a hardon for teaching drill on summer BMQs, but he's an exception.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 13, 2011

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

A couple weeks ago I got back from the two week orientation in St. Jean for Civi U ROTP. 3/4 of the days were spent on powerpoints, is that going to be the norm for BMOQ as well? Have to say though, it's pretty nice to get paid for sleeping in and crossing my arms in class.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

MagicCube posted:

A couple weeks ago I got back from the two week orientation in St. Jean for Civi U ROTP. 3/4 of the days were spent on powerpoints, is that going to be the norm for BMOQ as well? Have to say though, it's pretty nice to get paid for sleeping in and crossing my arms in class.

Prepare for death by powerpoint

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, eventually you even get to be on the other side, administering needless volumes of powerpoint!

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Simkin posted:

Yeah, eventually you even get to be on the other side, administering needless volumes of powerpoint!

That have been brainlessly modified and edited over the years so they're full of continuity, content, syntax and spelling errors...also Frenglish/franglais.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

compressioncut posted:

That have been brainlessly modified and edited over the years so they're full of continuity, content, syntax and spelling errors...also Frenglish/franglais.

I swear, half the powerpoints I see still have the "Centre d'entrainement" background. Even the English voice procedure ones.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Cap, bmoq-l, is like 2/3 PowerPoint. Trade courses go different ways. Infantry is like 1/4 PowerPoint. The rest is weapons and field time.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Death by power point always sucked. One of my Sgt's use to make it better by showing us videos from Afghanistan or looking through this joke folder in his Email.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
It's a caterpillar, trying to hump a french fry... get it? A french fry! :haw:

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Serendipitaet posted:

There is this guy in one of my classes at Uni who introduced himself as "a drill instructor in the army"

Was never in the army, calling it now. This story sets off my Faker Boner.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I doubt any self-respecting Sgt or MCpl would ever refer to themselves as a "drill instructor", yeah. I definitely have a boner right now too and it's probably from that guy being a totally faker.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fraser CDN posted:

Death by power point always sucked. One of my Sgt's use to make it better by showing us videos from Afghanistan or looking through this joke folder in his Email.

Be careful what you wish for, showing videos of explosions and motivational posters is like th number two time wasting strategy. Number one being remedial pt. If I had to decide between cool videos or pictures and an extra hour of sleep, I'd take the loving sleep.

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!
Anyone here a Construction Engineering Officer (formerly Airfield Engineering)? I'm thinking of applying, and wondering what the job is like on a daily basis in garrison, and in operations. Just for a little background, I'm a Cpl in the reserves who just graduated from an engineering program.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Hey Canadians, here's a song for ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXl_xzqIRgk

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
So, what exactly is the reason we can't claim haircuts on our taxes again?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

mdivi posted:

So, what exactly is the reason we can't claim haircuts on our taxes again?

I'd like to know the same think about razor blades too.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

My Spirit Otter posted:

I'd like to know the same think about razor blades too.

And boots.

I'm learning Russian hardcore now because I hate knowing only one language and I don't think french is cool.

Anybody know anything about embassy / overseas jobs where knowing a foreign language is a prerequisite? How many are there for Canadians?

I already know about the extra points you get for the merit board, and in a year or two I am totally challenging their Russian test for it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Why don't you learn something useful considering our current and future operating environments like Arabic or Farsi or something?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Learn German, try and get posted over there.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Fraser CDN posted:

Learn German, try and get posted over there.
What are the chances of a German who can speak German being posted over there?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Probably 0% but who knows. My brother is Strats and I know they send guys over there.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Well, I got to see my discharge package for the first time. I wanted to double/triple check everything to make sure I didn't get hosed (as my regiment is want to do).

Total time served: 6 years, 2 months (That's really about 6 months more than I actually spent but the extra time is how long the discharge took)
Final rank/pay: Cpl(3)
Transferred to Res B

So basically if I ever decided to come back (laffo) I'd come back with my rank/quals intact, which is nice.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Hizawk posted:

And boots.

I'm learning Russian hardcore now because I hate knowing only one language and I don't think french is cool.

Anybody know anything about embassy / overseas jobs where knowing a foreign language is a prerequisite? How many are there for Canadians?

I already know about the extra points you get for the merit board, and in a year or two I am totally challenging their Russian test for it.

I don't know much about it but all the Liaison Officers I've met have been just that - officers.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wait, are you saying that you want to be in the CF working in some embassy somewhere doing something?

Is that a legitimate thing that some people do? I've never met any officers who get posted to some embassy as some kind of foreign affairs officer. Maybe it's just some trade that I don't know about or a major position or something. But I don't think that's really what we do in the military.

Different NATO control centers, staging areas, NORAD, military type things abroad, sure. But not really random embassies.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The MP video on forces.ca made it seem quite a lot like you could wind up running a metal detector in Lisbon, actually.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The MP video on forces.ca made it seem quite a lot like you could wind up running a metal detector in Lisbon, actually.

MPs with a close protection course can end up working security at any embassy apparently.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Even without CP course, as an MP (Officer/NCM) you can end up with foreign postings. I work with an MP right now who was posted to Cuba for 5 years.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
Has anyone here done the CP course? Looks fun.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
And here I was thinking that being an mp was all about giving guys speeding tickets for going 53 on base and never solving drug problems in infantry units.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

And here I was thinking that being an mp was all about giving guys speeding tickets for going 53 on base and never solving drug problems in infantry units.

Well, those are the things they value most, but yea, they could do cool stuff.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

tuyop posted:

Wait, are you saying that you want to be in the CF working in some embassy somewhere doing something?

Is that a legitimate thing that some people do? I've never met any officers who get posted to some embassy as some kind of foreign affairs officer. Maybe it's just some trade that I don't know about or a major position or something. But I don't think that's really what we do in the military.

Different NATO control centers, staging areas, NORAD, military type things abroad, sure. But not really random embassies.

Every(or almost every) country that Canada has diplomatic relationship with will have a senior officer embedded in the embassy as a military attache. Its a great way to get failed/failing/terminal-rank Capt(N)'s and Col's out of the country for a while. A few of the senior officers in the airborne regiment served out the rest of their careers quietly in diplomatic roles after Somalia.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Frankie! posted:

Has anyone here done the CP course? Looks fun.

Supposed to be really PT intensive. Borderline cansof selection

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
Hey Ruse what kind of GiP patch did you want pt belt or no pt belt? I got to of each made and they're $10 a piece. They should be done on the 29th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Why hasn't anyone built a modular cigarette pouch?

Something with hard sides and mostly waterproof about the size of a pack of regular cigarettes. Cp gear would make a mint.