Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

brc64 posted:

If Sprint knows it's broken, why hasn't it been pulled? Or has it? I'm confused.

"There's nothing we can do, it's a known issue, we're working on a fix with LG."

That's what I've gotten from them.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/76377?start=0&tstart=0

Huge thread on the subject, lots of issues.

I hard reset the phone while on my landline talking to them, 2.3.3 remains on the phone regardless. I have to take it into the store to have them hard reset it and try not to charge me because I don't have TEP.

This is basically to the point I'm tempted to take the Samsung Reclaim out of the drawer and start using it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
No amount of wiping the phone will restore it to a different version of Android. You'd have to root and install a custom ROM or something.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Yeah, I pretty much figured that but went through the motions so the discussion would move forward. I'm not going to root.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

An update popped up on the tray of my Optimus this morning. A Gingerbread update. This totally means Duckman was wrong when he told me that Sprint rep was full of crap, right?

Matlock posted:

Yeah, if you own an Optimus S, do not install the OTA update. It's known to be broken, and Sprint says they're waiting for a fix.

So who is full of crap now?

(yes I know this could not be predicted, but give me the little victories, I need them right now!).

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Three hard resets of frustration later, and the autocomplete finally works. The keyboard is still hilariously tiny, and none of the updated/bundled apps they mention in the changelong are present.

This is Samsung level bad.

I wonder what they can even do to help me at this point.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 20, 2011

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes please.

A PM, you have.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Enjoy the nightmare that is 76 around the KOP area. gently caress that area sucks.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

corpsed posted:

Just ordered a Samsung Epic 4G Touch to replace my ailing Palm Pre. It should arrive not this Wednesday, but the one after it--I can't wait.
My wife and I just replaced our EVOs with the ET and like it a lot. However since we both had Moments in the past as well I'm sure we'll end up regretting it one day. :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I just remembered that the sprint customer forums URLs say "baw" in them, and it's actually sort of funny because it's where I see some of the most hysterical bitching over minutiae this side of Slashdot. BAWWWWWWWW MY 4GEEE

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
My wife installed the Optimus update yesterday and hasn't had any problems so far.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Well, my wife and I got the updates for our Optimus' this morning and installed them. Kinda wish I would've checked the thread before just accepting an update, but that's what I get. No problems so far except that animations seem to be choppier and running a bit slower than normal.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Matlock posted:

"There's nothing we can do, it's a known issue, we're working on a fix with LG."

That's what I've gotten from them.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/76377?start=0&tstart=0

Huge thread on the subject, lots of issues.

I hard reset the phone while on my landline talking to them, 2.3.3 remains on the phone regardless. I have to take it into the store to have them hard reset it and try not to charge me because I don't have TEP.

This is basically to the point I'm tempted to take the Samsung Reclaim out of the drawer and start using it again.

Welcome to my world a few months ago when HTC updated the shift to gingerbread. Not sure what the deal is with gingerbread updates.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tomguycot posted:

Welcome to my world a few months ago when HTC updated the shift to gingerbread. Not sure what the deal is with gingerbread updates.

All of them seem to have had problems and were then fixed (to an extent in some cases). The Shift, Evo, Echo and now Optimus.

Bicho6
Jul 15, 2003

You dont feel that, like your head is burning or something
What would be a better deal. 25% off monntly deal for 2 line family plan with 1500 min $107.00 after taxes or the SERO 4G plan?

Bicho6 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 21, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bicho6 posted:

What would be a better deal. 25% off monntly deal for 2 line family plan with 1500 min $107.00 after taxes of the SERO 4G plan?
I'm not really sure what you're asking. A two-line regular family plan ($130/mo, $97.50 w/25% discount) with smartphones (+ $10/mo per line) is $117.50/mo pre-tax.

Two SERO Premium 500 lines are $80-100/mo pre-tax, depending on whether you get 3G-only or 4G smartphones.

So although there's fewer minutes, SERO is still a better deal. With any mobile, those 500 minutes won't matter for most folks either.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bicho6 posted:

What would be a better deal. 25% off monntly deal for 2 line family plan with 1500 min $107.00 after taxes of the SERO 4G plan?

If you have SERO that is cheaper, if you have EPRP it is about equal. Fyi the 25% discount cannot apply to SERO or EPRP.

A 25% discount with 2 smartphones is about $117 plus tax. EPRP is about $119-129ish. SERO is def cheaper than both, so hold onto SERO with your cold dead hands dude.

Edit: updated the OP with new info, if anyone sees anything missing please let me know.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 20, 2011

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Well that was quick! Already having problems with my Epic Touch losing service until I reboot.

gently caress you Samsung. gently caress you so loving much.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
$35 restock is better than $misery.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I think my question on the last page got missed, so I'll ask again (hoping one of the Sprint guys or Sales guys can help me out!) -

I'm not sure I understand the Gold Premier phase-out policy. It mentions something about being eligible for "one more upgrade" before the end of 2012...so here's my question:

Would it be possible to get TWO upgrades between now and December 2012? -

I have an OG Evo and I'm eligible for an upgrade. I've been holding out for the Nexus Prime...but I don't want to "lose" an upgrade either... Should I upgrade NOW (and if I really really want the Nexus Prime just sell the Evo3D/Photon/SGSIIE4GT (Seriously, Sprint? That name is absurd) in a couple months and to buy the Prime outright? That way I could get ANOTHER phone in September/October of 2012?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

datajosh posted:

Well that was quick! Already having problems with my Epic Touch losing service until I reboot.

gently caress you Samsung. gently caress you so loving much.

My wife is having the same problem with her 3D in relation to data. It is driving her crazy. We are going to try and get a replacement this Saturday at the store.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

I think my question on the last page got missed, so I'll ask again (hoping one of the Sprint guys or Sales guys can help me out!) -

I'm not sure I understand the Gold Premier phase-out policy. It mentions something about being eligible for "one more upgrade" before the end of 2012...so here's my question:

Would it be possible to get TWO upgrades between now and December 2012? -

I have an OG Evo and I'm eligible for an upgrade. I've been holding out for the Nexus Prime...but I don't want to "lose" an upgrade either... Should I upgrade NOW (and if I really really want the Nexus Prime just sell the Evo3D/Photon/SGSIIE4GT (Seriously, Sprint? That name is absurd) in a couple months and to buy the Prime outright? That way I could get ANOTHER phone in September/October of 2012?

Don't take my advice on this as gold, because I haven't worked since the announcement so I have not read official sprint policies completely on it.

From what I can tell, that does sound right. That being said, the yearly upgrades are phased out by end of December (I think). So either way,why not wait until November and see if the prime hits sprint? Then you can upgrade then and still get one last yearly upgrade.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I thought yearly upgrades weren't being phased out until December 2012?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I thought yearly upgrades weren't being phased out until December 2012?

Yeah, sorry I meant end of December 2012. Read my mind damnit!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

nate fisher posted:

My wife is having the same problem with her 3D in relation to data. It is driving her crazy. We are going to try and get a replacement this Saturday at the store.
Great to hear there's issues with every new phone Sprint has :(

I'm waiting a few more days but this thing might be going back, which is a shame because the phone is really nice.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Don't take my advice on this as gold, because I haven't worked since the announcement so I have not read official sprint policies completely on it.

From what I can tell, that does sound right. That being said, the yearly upgrades are phased out by end of December (I think). So either way,why not wait until November and see if the prime hits sprint? Then you can upgrade then and still get one last yearly upgrade.

The way the announcement reads, I couldn't tell if I only get ONE MORE upgrade within the next calendar year and then I'm on a 2-year cycle no matter what, or if I can still squeeze in two more upgrades within the next 14 months...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

The way the announcement reads, I couldn't tell if I only get ONE MORE upgrade within the next calendar year and then I'm on a 2-year cycle no matter what, or if I can still squeeze in two more upgrades within the next 14 months...

I'll ask around.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I'll ask around.

Thanks, buddy. Most appreciated.

If I'm ever out in Philly, I owe you a beer.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

datajosh posted:

I'm waiting a few more days but this thing might be going back, which is a shame because the phone is really nice.

I haven't seen any real reports (yet) on new high-end phones except the headphone buzz on the Bionic, so it could just be a bad radio in yours.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
This seems like a dumb question, but I bought a phone off of ebay which was in the box and appeared to be brand new. When I started poking around I noticed that it had service. I was able to call my house with the phone. What is the deal??

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So my brother's $150 upgrade is coming up on 10/1. Wasn't there a way he could get it pushed up a little earlier? I remember doing it for mine (thanks again Duckman) and I wanted to see if we could get his in time for when his financial aid and our trip back down to Miami happens this weekend.

He wants to move from the Optimus S to the EVO 3D so if I could help him out and get his phone earlier he'd love it.

(I'd also be jealous as all hell since I can't get an EVO 3D, but whatever)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RagingHematoma posted:

This seems like a dumb question, but I bought a phone off of ebay which was in the box and appeared to be brand new. When I started poking around I noticed that it had service. I was able to call my house with the phone. What is the deal??

Its likely still active on the account of whomever sold it to you. Call them ASAP and make them remove it from the account. If the account goes delinquent the esn is dead. You cannot add the phone to your account until it is off the other one. Can't emphasize enough for future transactions,always always check the esn with sprint first.

Skeezy posted:

So my brother's $150 upgrade is coming up on 10/1. Wasn't there a way he could get it pushed up a little earlier? I remember doing it for mine (thanks again Duckman) and I wanted to see if we could get his in time for when his financial aid and our trip back down to Miami happens this weekend.

He wants to move from the Optimus S to the EVO 3D so if I could help him out and get his phone earlier he'd love it.

(I'd also be jealous as all hell since I can't get an EVO 3D, but whatever)

Have him call sprint and tell them he broke his phone, they'll bump it, he can upgrade at any time. Fyi its always the 18 or afterwards that they bump it,hence why he is good.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

Duckman2008 posted:

Its likely still active on the account of whomever sold it to you. Call them ASAP and make them remove it from the account. If the account goes delinquent the esn is dead. You cannot add the phone to your account until it is off the other one. Can't emphasize enough for future transactions,always always check the esn with sprint first.

Thanks for the tip. I just sent the company a note and am going to wait for them to resolve it before I switch my service over. The place does not seem disreputable as it is an electronics seller who has 99% positive feedback on over 8000 transactions.

Figures...

Edit - should I wait prior to doing an ESN swap on the phone?

RagingHematoma fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 21, 2011

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

So I went in the store, they mention they can't do anything as it's a software issue and tell me if they were me, they'd call the retention line.

And right now I'm having an existential debate with a technical support rep that's assigning all blame to LG and saying that they'll somehow fix the fact that Gingerbread's keyboard is smaller than Froyo's on an already tight screen.

LG won't fix something that's by default stock Android 2.3.

Also fun today is that the signal is getting weaker and more inconsistent, as well the MicroSD card keeps unmounting. There's an issue with bringing it back from screen-off.

Seriously, how did Sprint sign off of this? How did it take LG nearly 8 months to put it out?

Edit: tech support is offering me another phone at the "internet price," but put me on hold. We may have progress.

Edit: Tech Support offered me another phone at "internet pricing," around 30 minutes into the call but could not as I have a SERO account, referred me to Employee Services.

Employee Services could not help me as they couldn't order it. They then moved me over to Telesales.

Telesales could not help me, as Tech Support did not note the offer.

They put me up to Account Services. Account Services then argued the point of the offer with me, and told me they could send me a Samsung Intercept or a Blackberry but not the original offer.

I went through the hierarchy, and noted the time -in the call- that I was offered the replacement by Tech Support, and in the middle of that they hung up on me.

GO SPRINT.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 21, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

datajosh posted:

Definitely not a common issue on the 3D, no telling with the Epic 4G touch since it's brand new.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

So I went in the store, they mention they can't do anything as it's a software issue and tell me if they were me, they'd call the retention line.

And right now I'm having an existential debate with a technical support rep that's assigning all blame to LG and saying that they'll somehow fix the fact that Gingerbread's keyboard is smaller than Froyo's on an already tight screen.

LG won't fix something that's by default stock Android 2.3.

Also fun today is that the signal is getting weaker and more inconsistent, as well the MicroSD card keeps unmounting. There's an issue with bringing it back from screen-off.

Seriously, how did Sprint sign off of this? How did it take LG nearly 8 months to put it out?

Edit: tech support is offering me another phone at the "internet price," but put me on hold. We may have progress.

Edit: Tech Support offered me another phone at "internet pricing," around 30 minutes into the call but could not as I have a SERO account, referred me to Employee Services.

Employee Services could not help me as they couldn't order it. They then moved me over to Telesales.

Telesales could not help me, as Tech Support did not note the offer.

They put me up to Account Services. Account Services then argued the point of the offer with me, and told me they could send me a Samsung Intercept or a Blackberry but not the original offer.

I went through the hierarchy, and noted the time -in the call- that I was offered the replacement by Tech Support, and in the middle of that they hung up on me.

GO SPRINT.

Did you at any point call retentions directly? As in, the number listed in the op? Because that is the line to call when you have problems like this. If it hasn't been fixed yet, call retentions directly and tell them you are not satisfied until they replace your drat phone. 9 out of 10 times that should work.

Never waste your time battering with service, skip right to retentions. Every time.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Did you at any point call retentions directly? As in, the number listed in the op? Because that is the line to call when you have problems like this. If it hasn't been fixed yet, call retentions directly and tell them you are not satisfied until they replace your drat phone. 9 out of 10 times that should work.

Never waste your time battering with service, skip right to retentions. Every time.

I'll give them a try next.

The best thing is that I've kept a log of the discussions and calls, and stuck with that. I've not sworn or been a jerk at a rep, yet I'm getting this sort of runaround.

Edit: Duckman2008; I called the Retentions Number and gave them the lowdown on the situation. They said they can't help me as I'm on a SERO plan and gave me the Employee Care line at 8886037981.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 21, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

I'll give them a try next. This is astoundingly inept so far.

The best thing is that I've kept a log of the discussions and calls, and stuck with that. I've not sworn or been a jerk at a rep, yet I'm getting this sort of runaround.

Edit: Duckman2008; I called the Retentions Number and gave them the lowdown on the situation. They said they can't help me as I'm on a SERO plan and gave me the Employee Care line at 8886037981.

At this point wait until morning, you may be getting Indians at this hour. 7am to 10pm is when you want to call sprint whenever possible.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

At this point wait until morning, you may be getting Indians at this hour. 7am to 10pm is when you want to call sprint whenever possible.

Employee Care is closed, so here we go. Employee Services, which I talked to a few steps ago, told me they'd call back between 4 and 4:30 tomorrow.

Either way, if I get this resolved, you're so getting a slightly less irritating custom title.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

I haven't seen any real reports (yet) on new high-end phones except the headphone buzz on the Bionic, so it could just be a bad radio in yours.
Yeah, I'm wondering if it's bad hardware myself as my wife's hasn't had the issue yet. Going to be out of town tomorrow but planning to swap it out when I get back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Matlock posted:

Employee Care is closed, so here we go. Employee Services, which I talked to a few steps ago, told me they'd call back between 4 and 4:30 tomorrow.

Either way, if I get this resolved, you're so getting a slightly less irritating custom title.

He should check his PMs first. I bought him a gift certificate for one the other day. Dude is helpful as gently caress.