Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Fozzie Bear posted:

My wife has a christmas village that she has been building over the past few years, I convinced her that we should switch it to the lego christmas village, and she agreed. What sets have come out previously, and where can I buy them (I am in Canada).

Thanks

Lego Winter Bakery
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Creator-Holiday-Bakery-10216/dp/B003Q6BQPS

Lego Winter Toy Shop
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Creator-Winter-Shop-10199/dp/B002ACUC0O

Lego Winter Post Office
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Winter-Village-Post-Office-10222

They also put out a "Holiday Train" with a Christmas theme in 2006. Its a bit costly.
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10173-1
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Make-Create-Holiday-Train/dp/B000OR5RDY

Then of course you have the little poly bag sets and Advent calendars.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Veeb0rg posted:

They also put out a "Holiday Train" with a Christmas theme in 2006. Its a bit costly.
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10173-1
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Make-Create-Holiday-Train/dp/B000OR5RDY

Huh, didn't know about that one. It's about half that price on bricklink, though.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Pyroclastic posted:

Huh, didn't know about that one. It's about half that price on bricklink, though.

For a used open one, yeah. But if you want a New sealed one, its $295 on bricklink and $319 on ebay. I only linked the amazon as examples.

You could probably get the inventory sheet and brick build the set for even cheaper. It just depends on how much time/money you have.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 21, 2011

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Went by Target and noticed the season 5 figures for sale. Picked up one and noticed the giant gladiator hat dude. Felt package. Put back. Grabbed second package and felt giant hat. Took to register and purchased then opened. Was not disappointed! So happy!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Is this new?

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Brandenburg-Gate-21011

Either way, I love it.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
I just came across this set which is pretty cool:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=10183-1

It's the hobby train factory. Does anybody have any experience with it? How big of a train can you build with the parts? I also didn't see any tracks in the parts list.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Gravy Jones posted:

The other piece which strikes me as being pretty revolutionary (and I'm sure the are a lot of variants of it) is the one that allows you to build off at 90 degrees. The one I have is a full height 4 X 1 block with a third height 4 X 1 plate sitcking out at 90 degrees. I never had anything like that back in the day. The closest was probably two 4 X 2 pieces that were hinged.

They've definitely expanded the roster of parts like that in recent years although, I have to say, I still find the original headlight brick the most useful. There's just so many possibilities with it.

CADPAT posted:

It's the hobby train factory. Does anybody have any experience with it? How big of a train can you build with the parts? I also didn't see any tracks in the parts list.

I don't actually own it, but the way it works basically is that a bunch of AFOLs were given the parts and told to make a train, so there are quite a few different models included in the set. It doesn't have any track or anything to motorize it included. The crocodile engine that's depicted as the main model is probably about the biggest thing you could make with it.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I bought the technic backhoe loader(8069) yesterday and its a good set . It introduces a smaller liner actuator that looks like it could be really handy on some creations due to its more compact size and the fact you dont have to crank the hell out of it like the larger liner actuator.

The parts included in this set are pretty good, along with the 4 new smaller LA's you get a few panels, a bunch of liftarms mostly all yellow. There is also a respectable amount of thin liftarms to help round things out. I do like the inclusion of the 84mm ballon tire as I use them the most building my own vehicles. there is a 5x7 liftarm that is usually used to hold the differentals even though there isn't any in the set. Just based on parts alone this set was worth it.

Now I just need to see what I want to build out of its parts I am almost tempted to go get another one since it was on sale. Any technic fans should pick it when they can.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

CADPAT posted:

Its just the Loco, no track, no motor.

Here are the 30 "alternative" offical instructions. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=306136

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
I finished another locomotive. Maybe now I can get back to things I actually need to do (yeah, right). For people who live in the northeastern U.S. these are probably a familiar sight.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I love the front of this. Looks awesome even from close up. The angle is perfect, and the side is brilliant as well. Great job.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Is this new?

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Brandenburg-Gate-21011

Either way, I love it.
The Brandenburger Tor! :stare:

It's beautiful...

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
That is a bloody nice train, it looks good without overcomplicating itself at least in apperance. I really like the side as well. Did you use hood scoops on the top for the white parts or is that a diffrent brick? I can't tell.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Merchant of Death posted:

That is a bloody nice train, it looks good without overcomplicating itself at least in apperance. I really like the side as well. Did you use hood scoops on the top for the white parts or is that a diffrent brick? I can't tell.

looks like just flat 2x2 plates and cheese wedges to me

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I finished another locomotive. Maybe now I can get back to things I actually need to do (yeah, right). For people who live in the northeastern U.S. these are probably a familiar sight.

:stare:

I'm having trouble believing this isn't an official model.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am guessing it violates at least a couple of the Laws of Legos somewhere in there.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
The top step-rail on the front.. you cut it :smith:

Other than that, looks amazing. :unsmith:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Arnold of Soissons posted:

The top step-rail on the front.. you cut it :smith:

The top step rail is pneumatic tubing, cutting it like that is kosher.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008
That loving train is wonderful. Tip of the hat, dude.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

EvilJoven posted:

I stand corrected!

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Merchant of Death posted:

Yeah, it's just cheese slopes and tiles. Those are little AC units for the cabs.

Captain Invictus posted:

I am guessing it violates at least a couple of the Laws of Legos somewhere in there.

Probably the worst is how the windshield is wedged in there. It's not actually attached to anything.

EvilJoven posted:

It's actually rigid 3mm tubing, but that's generally agreed to be ok as well. I think it's in the instructions for the Hobby Train we were discussing before where you're actually asked to cut tubing (not sure about this, though) so it's technically official. At any rate, train guys do it quite a bit for handrails.

I learned something interesting about Amtrak while working on this project, too. Usually when I'm making decals for a locomotive, getting the right font ends up being a process. I wasn't sure what font Amtrak used for their numbering, and google wasn't helping me at the time. I opened GIMP and was all set to just run through all the fonts, but it didn't take long. It was set at Sans as a default, and I quickly realized it was the right choice. So yeah, Amtrak just uses regular old Sans, or something very close to it.

Real numbers on the left, my decal on the right.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Stopped by my local target tonight and found a full rack of series 5 mini figs. Couldn't remember how to tell which was which so tried my luck with 4 packs. Got 2 detectives and 2 cave women. Found the bump guide online and will go back tomorrow and get more!

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I learned something interesting about Amtrak while working on this project, too. Usually when I'm making decals for a locomotive, getting the right font ends up being a process. I wasn't sure what font Amtrak used for their numbering, and google wasn't helping me at the time. I opened GIMP and was all set to just run through all the fonts, but it didn't take long.
You know about WhatTheFont, right? Its first suggestion is Humper Condense Bold, which looks spot on with the more slanted 9 and condensed style.

e: It could be Arial Narrow as well. Which makes sense - the bog-standard Windows sans serif typeface.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 23, 2011

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
So after looking at the winter village sets, it occurred to me that since I moved into my new apartment that I don't have any decorations at home for Halloween. So me and the GF started making some vignettes as decoration!

Special thanks to 1833Marine the mad scientist in this one!

My GF made these. It's the first time she's ever played with Lego!

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

JazzmasterCurious posted:

You know about WhatTheFont, right? Its first suggestion is Humper Condense Bold, which looks spot on with the more slanted 9 and condensed style.

I actually didn't know about that, but I wasn't able to get the same answer from it when I tried it. Part of the problem is the image I used was shot at about 25 degrees or so to the surface, so it looks a bit more condensed than it actually is. Could be a useful tool for the future, though. I'll have to see if it's any good at identifying century-old railroad fonts. Thanks for the link, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Oh man, this is brilliant. Show me more of the coach car!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

JazzmasterCurious posted:

e: It could be Arial Narrow as well. Which makes sense - the bog-standard Windows sans serif typeface.

It's not Arial. The 9 has more of a hook than Arial.

e: I agree, that coach car is badass.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

Oh man, this is brilliant. Show me more of the coach car!

Sure thing:

I'm going to build three more to make a good sized train, but the prospect isn't very exciting to me at the moment, and those 2x4 curve slopes are pretty pricey, so it'll have to wait.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I think it looks more like conqueror sans than humper

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I've been playing a lot of The Saboteur and the slick old cars made me want to make some 1920s/30s racers.

The first one turned out best:

Modeled roughly after this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/casadeyork/5773143611/

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

CADPAT posted:

Special thanks to 1833Marine the mad scientist in this one!

The old school bandits are the best bandits.

Cyberius
Sep 24, 2007
Totally Fake
I picked up my first three Series 5 figs and got two lizard men and a Sherlock Holmes. Am . . .am I magic?

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
So having wanted to tackle a large scale project but in no way having enough bricks, I've discovered the Lego building style for me.

Low brick count, low size, low work, high creativity.

I'm particularily proud of this little guy which took me an hour to figure out how to build properly. I ditched the number in the other pic because it made him too bulky.

Micro city, here I come.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've started taking apart my existing models so I can do the same thing. Then I can put my godzilla guy in the middle. DESTROY TOKYO.

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics
Funny to see this thread. I just started getting back into Legos this month after not having touched them for almost two decades. I had completely forgotten how much fun they are. I picked up the Space Needle set while I was at the Space Needle recently, which then got me curious to see what other similar sets were available.

As a result, I got/assembled the White House set, which is kind of awesome (time lapse video of assembly ahoy hoy):
http://www.vimeo.com/29461923

Space Shuttle set is next up. I really hope they keep up with the Architecture stuff.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone need any of the stupid cave women mini figs from series 5? I've got 4 of the dam things now. Apparently I'm horrible at feeling and guessing what's inside.

Also would be interested in picking up a few from series 1 if anyone has any extras.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

CADPAT posted:

So having wanted to tackle a large scale project but in no way having enough bricks, I've discovered the Lego building style for me.

Low brick count, low size, low work, high creativity.

I'm particularily proud of this little guy which took me an hour to figure out how to build properly. I ditched the number in the other pic because it made him too bulky.

Micro city, here I come.

I love it. I don't know if you're familiar with the term, but TwinLUG came up with a standard for this sort of building called Micropolis. If you build the standard-sized modules, then you can connect up with others to make a whole city. People come up with some pretty awesome things in this scale.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Speaking of miniscale, when I first saw this, I thought it was a MOC. But no! It's 10230 Mini Modulars, a Lego VIP membership exclusive.

1,356 pieces for $80. Seems pretty cheap for a +1,000 piece set, guess it's because everything is tiny.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Holy crap. There's an impressive amount of SNOT in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Oh my god, somebody hook me up please! That is loving beautiful!