Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heatherawr
Apr 16, 2011

Baron Von Face posted:

Like heatherawr's sister, she also called me a gross-freak-hippy-person.

Also, after calling me crazy, she went on to tell me about her recent crotch waxing and how, "she was down there for a REALLY long time."

yeah, I'm the gross one? :psyduck:

Anyways, I'm happy with my cup experience, so I'm sticking with it. She can keep the nasty old tampons. But I am keeping panty liners on hand because I'm still getting used to putting it in correctly, and at the moment it's kind of hit and miss. Ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Face
Sep 6, 2006
who stole my steaks?

themindisonfire posted:

would a gyno test for that normally? :ohdear:

Unless tell them you have the classic symptoms of clotting, irregularity, darkness of colour (nearly black) and your period pain is making you pass out every time it comes around, I don't think so.

If you do mention it, and they think it warrants a look, they'll do an ultra sound. If the ultra sound turns up something, they go in for a Laparoscopy to confirm the diagnosis and remove the offending bits. I didn't have anything on my ultra sound, I just lucked out with angry lady parts. A mate on the other hand has to go in for a Laparoscopy next month :(

Gyno discussions are always fun though so ask 'em about it, even if it doesn't sound like you :eng101:

fake edit: and if they don't know what Endometriosis is... yeah, maybe find another Gyno...

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009

Baron Von Face posted:

fake edit: and if they don't know what Endometriosis is... yeah, maybe find another Gyno...

Goodness, there's so much that go wrong with the human body... especially those us us with lady bits!

themindisonfire fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 19, 2011

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin

Foaming Chicken posted:

I'm pretty sure you can do this with most if not all menstrual cups (excluding Keeper).

well, gee! I never knew! Thanks for the info. That's pretty useful to know.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Not only that, but the leaking thing is NOTHING like the awful stuff that happens with tampons.

Oh, definitely! I've never had anything even near the messes I had on a daily basis with my strategic pad/tampon stacking/placement. I've not ruined ANY clothes or sheets since I got this thing. I think I've been using a cup for almost 2 years now. With pads/tampons, I was ruining several things a DAY. Not only can I wear white should I so choose, I can actually leave my house while I'm on my period. The inventor of this thing needs a Nobel Peace Prize. AND it needs to be covered in sex ed at school. All those years I suffered without even knowing there was an alternative! :argh:

themindisonfire posted:

Threefish, how do you deal with your heavy flows at night? Isn't it unfeasible to wake up every two hours?

Well, to be totally honest, it doesn't bother me a bit. I was up that often with my pad/tampon/towel stacking anyway, because I'd be lying in a warm puddle of blood. At least with the cup, it's just a matter of dumping it and going back to sleep rather than showering/stripping/bed/considering wrapping myself head to toe in saran wrap/finding new clothes to ruin/ etc. I'm almost happy to hear my two hour alarm and have so little to deal with!

My mom is still completely grossed out with my cup using ways (she's very devout and doesn't like to know that I shamelessly insert my hand into my own vagina) but she's very happy I've found something that finally works well for me and allows me to have a life. She used to take me to the emergency room when I was small because the amount of blood coming out of my body was alarming to all involved. She actually feels really badly for me about my periods and always tried her best not to complain about hers because she knew what I was dealing with and hers didn't even come close. She really wishes she had known about cups when I was much younger so that she could have offered it as an alternative. Well, she SAYS that, but she wouldn't even buy me tampons because they were unladylike to use, so I had to save my lunch money the week before my periods to buy my own. So I sort of doubt she would have gotten me a cup. But hey. It's the thought that counts, right?

I still shamelessly promote cups to anyone who will listen. I just can't be quiet about something that changed my life so much for the better because what if someone needs this as badly as I did and they just didn't know?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ThreeFish posted:

I still shamelessly promote cups to anyone who will listen. I just can't be quiet about something that changed my life so much for the better because what if someone needs this as badly as I did and they just didn't know?

And I thank you for that. I was one of those women. I bleed so heavily that I would practically get swamp rear end from wearing pads and i'm a bit ocd about mess so I hated pads. Tampons make me itch. inside. and i'd go through almost a full box of the OB supers every period.

To anyone who is worried about over night with the cup - if you are comfortable with it during the day and it is sealing correctly you should be ok. You'll wake up naturally if it feels like its over flowing.

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

My lungs don't work. Now it's time to sing!
I just slap a pad in overnight with the cup, works like a charm. That probably wouldn't be enough for you, ThreeFish, but I suspect it would work for most ladies. Of course, waiting that long to empty my cup also turns me into some sort of demonic blood fountain in the morning, but it beats getting up multiple times in the night.

Hormones
May 9, 2009
My MeLuna just arrived 10 minutes ago!
I bought a Medium and a Large on their summer sale and have been wondering whennnnnn it was going to come but hurrah! It's here. And I'm expecting my period sometime this week or weekend today! How perfect.

1 Large Sparkle, 1 Medium Purple
and no picture, but 1 Large Purple as well.

I'm really excited, but a little nervous, to try it out. Gonna have to read up on lots of tips :D

Hormones fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 19, 2011

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Baron Von Face posted:

I've taken the plunge and a Meluna Black :black101: should be on it's way to me.

I just got a black one too! Curious about the perlenstringen or whatever the heck that thing is.
I sent the extra cup I got from my last order to my twin in Texas; we have another convert!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

For all the lady goons who are always asking about IUDs and cups- here's a link I just found:

http://www.familypracticenews.com/news/more-top-news/single-view/menstrual-products-don-8217t-increase-iud-expulsion/443f99a671.html

Says that the chance of expulsion among those that use tampons and cups is the same as those who just use pads. So there is no increased risk. That's gotta be good news, yeah?

Anyone know off hand which cup has the highest capacity? I'm trying to search but alas. My google-fu is weak tonight.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

ThreeFish posted:

For all the lady goons who are always asking about IUDs and cups- here's a link I just found:

http://www.familypracticenews.com/news/more-top-news/single-view/menstrual-products-don-8217t-increase-iud-expulsion/443f99a671.html

Says that the chance of expulsion among those that use tampons and cups is the same as those who just use pads. So there is no increased risk. That's gotta be good news, yeah?

Anyone know off hand which cup has the highest capacity? I'm trying to search but alas. My google-fu is weak tonight.

This website has some comparison charts, hope that helps.

Meanwhile, I ordered mine (a JuJu) about a month ago and I've tried a few times but haven't been able to get it in far enough. It's like my fingers just aren't long enough to push it all the way in before it seals, and once it has sealed there's just no budging. Gonna try again in the shower.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

That's perfect, elbow! Thanks. Exactly what I wanted. I was looking around, and every site seemed to say something different about capacity. I guess some were measuring to the holes and some were measuring to the top and that's why I was confused!

What fold are you using? Personally, I have to use a fold where you bring one corner all the way down to the base of the cup. That way, once the base is in place (which is the shortest distance to... travel?), you can let go of the corner and it pops up at the top! I don't know what my fold is called. I'm not even sure it's a real fold. It's just what I came up with the first day I ever got one and was doing dry runs to try and get it all to work.

My fold is *like* this, but instead of bringing that corner over to the middle of the opposite side, I bring that corner all the way to the bottom. Try something like that?

edit: Uh. Might need the link. Duh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG-r387FNs8

edit2: I don't know why I never considered another cup that had a higher capacity than my DivaCup. I guess I'm from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought or something. But the conversation earlier made me think how night it would be to sleep even just a *little* bit longer at night without dumping. So, the Yuuki has the highest capacity to the rim, but the Fleurcup has the highest capacity to the holes. If capacity were your ONLY criteria, which would you choose, and why?

I guess capacity isn't my only criteria though, because I also have the pleasure of being equipped with a super-low cervix. So the Diva is 7cm long and is perfect for me flipped inside out. The Fleur is also 7cm and I'm supposing it can also be flipped. The Yuuki is 7.5cm. Argh. Help! What do I do?! What would you do?

ThreeFish fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 20, 2011

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah that's the one I tried after all the standard ones didn't work, but it still wouldn't go in far enough. I'm just going to try it again and maybe trim the stem as well, see if that makes a difference.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Hm. It can get frustrating!

Have you tried inside out? That makes it shorter, too.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

elbow posted:

Meanwhile, I ordered mine (a JuJu) about a month ago and I've tried a few times but haven't been able to get it in far enough. It's like my fingers just aren't long enough to push it all the way in before it seals, and once it has sealed there's just no budging. Gonna try again in the shower.

Squatting down in the bottom of my shower is where I have the easiest time. Hope it works for you!

wenwillwego
Sep 20, 2011
I'm posting here to say that I found this thread about 6mo ago, and just bought myself my first Diva Cup last month. I made a mental note/promise that if the cup was all it was cracked up to be here I would finally cave in and subscribe to SA.

So, here I am. :)

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Heh. That's great! Welcome to the fold, wenwillwego!

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

ThreeFish posted:

Heh. That's great! Welcome to the fold, wenwillwego!

Heh, the fold.

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009

wenwillwego posted:

So, here I am. :)

Some people come for the LPs, some for the comedy, others for a piece of silicone you stick in your cooter.
(stupid divacup, GET here already!)

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream
Ugh. I got a leak free day and night yesterday, but it seems that today no matter what I do will make it stop leaking. Very frustrating to have to still be using tampons for 70% of my period even though I'm three cycles in.

On bad days it seems like I just can't stuff it or keep it far enough in there but a few days it seems fine.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Lixer posted:

Ugh. I got a leak free day and night yesterday, but it seems that today no matter what I do will make it stop leaking. Very frustrating to have to still be using tampons for 70% of my period even though I'm three cycles in.

On bad days it seems like I just can't stuff it or keep it far enough in there but a few days it seems fine.

I'm having that problem too. The first couple of days it leaks, not terribly but still :( Panty liners are gross.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

ThreeFish posted:

I guess capacity isn't my only criteria though, because I also have the pleasure of being equipped with a super-low cervix. So the Diva is 7cm long and is perfect for me flipped inside out. The Fleur is also 7cm and I'm supposing it can also be flipped. The Yuuki is 7.5cm. Argh. Help! What do I do?! What would you do?

I bleed like the prom scene in Carrie, have a super-low cervix, and LOVE my Fleurcup (which I flip). On the other hand I've never had a Diva or Yuuki. But I used to fill my medium MeLuna in an hour. On my heaviest night, I still need to either wear a pad for backup or wake up at 5a.m. to empty, but it sure beats the red sea experience.

Also, Fleurcups are pretty and they have a zany French website.

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009

slinkimalinki posted:

Also, Fleurcups are pretty and they have a zany French website.

Before I ordered my divacup, I sent an email to Fleurcups in English and they responded in French.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I went ahead and ordered a large blue fleurcup. I really wanted the yuuki because you get a small and a large for the same price and I was thinking maybe my daughter would be tempted to use it if I put the extra one in her room, but I was really worried about that extra .5cm. My cervix really is low and since the diva and the fleur are the same length, I figured the fleur was a safer bet. I'm on my period now, so the fleur will have plenty of time to get here for my next cycle. It does hold significantly more, so I'll be sure to report back on how long I'll be able to sleep on my bad days! Thanks for the input, slinki!

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...
Do any cups have easier to clear holes than others? My Diva Cup can be tricky to get cleared some days and I don't always remember to grab a thumb tack from my desk drawer (one heavy day, usually have to deal with it in the work restroom).

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

fine-tune posted:

Do any cups have easier to clear holes than others? My Diva Cup can be tricky to get cleared some days and I don't always remember to grab a thumb tack from my desk drawer (one heavy day, usually have to deal with it in the work restroom).

Pin a safety pin to the inside of your purse (or if you have a little bag for your cup, put it in there) and you won't have to worry about forgetting to grab something. My meluna's holes clear by just pressing toilet paper up to them and kinda pushing it out though.

I bought a black Meluna. I'm just gonna keep telling myself it's because I want to try a different size and not because I want a :black101: vagina. Man, I should have made the fiance buy me a bunch of them when he was still living in der Vaterland, that was stupid of me.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

fine-tune posted:

If I don't have something poky, I hold the cup low in the sink, fill it with water, put my palm over the top, and squeeze. Water shoots out the holes, taking any gunk with it. Do be sure that you are holding it LOW in the sink, or else you'll shoot yourself with a tiny stream of bloodwater.

lemonlime
May 1, 2008

I was around for the first cup thread; I remember agreeing with somebody who said that decorative items for the cervix are unnecessary and colored cups are stupid, or something like that.

I received one of the orange lunettes ("Aine"--it's my favorite color) today, and clearly I was wrong when I said that because it's adorable and way more fun to play with, mold, make leap 18" into the air, etc. than my divacup. It blows that my period ended yesterday, but I'm still going to take it for a test drive as soon as I boil it this evening.

It's a size large and a fair bit stiffer than my small sized diva, though that may be because the material hasn't been broken in yet. It's also a couple of grip rings shorter which I'm happy about. The holes are a lot bigger, too--clogging is a frequent problem with my divacup. Hopefully these holes will be easier to maintain.

KBD
Mar 24, 2010

get a butt
Ordered one a minute ago. Thank you thread! Never had any issues with using tampons, but it would be so nice not to have to worry about clogging the toilet everytime I flush it down (don't care what it says on the package, at SOME point it will happen to SOMEONE and that someone will probably be me).

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

You may not think you've had any issues with tampons, but it's been the case with a lot of women in here that they thought tampons were cool until they tried the cup, then they discovered just how horrible tampons have been all this time. Kind of like with that Dyson guy and his buffeting fans.

I hope you have the same pleasant experience! :)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

KBD posted:

Ordered one a minute ago. Thank you thread! Never had any issues with using tampons, but it would be so nice not to have to worry about clogging the toilet everytime I flush it down (don't care what it says on the package, at SOME point it will happen to SOMEONE and that someone will probably be me).

stop flushing your tampons, godddamn woman.

KBD
Mar 24, 2010

get a butt

Triangulum posted:

stop flushing your tampons, godddamn woman.

It does say they're OK for flushing (OB light), and it feels a lesser evil to dropping it in a bin, especially if you're at a friend's place. I agree though. Ask not what modern plumbing can do for you...

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

KBD posted:

It does say they're OK for flushing (OB light), and it feels a lesser evil to dropping it in a bin, especially if you're at a friend's place. I agree though. Ask not what modern plumbing can do for you...

It's a lie. Pipes are very fickle creatures.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I got my MeLuna today, and it came with a bonus irregular cup! Now I have three cups! I am blessed woman.

And holy crap is this thing way smaller than my Divacup. By like, at least a quarter inch. I hope it holds everything okay!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Just chiming in again to say that without my Diva, I would be loving DEAD these days-

Ever since I had my Mirena put in in July, my period have been about ten days long. They're lighter and the cramps are slightly worse, but based on those first few days where I had to use pads right after the insertion, and the fact that using tampons gives me the same reaction as running nails down a chalkboard (seriously, I feel it in my teeth), I would be doomed now if I didn't have a cup.

I still wish I could try another one but we're broke as heck. The Diva feels a bit better than it used to, though, so maybe it's okay.

Anyways, thank Jesus, Daddy, and the Spook for this thirsty motherfucker!

e n i s h i
Dec 30, 2002

Oh, boysenberry!
I ordered from Meluna on 9/3 & finally got my order today (9/22)! It took a pretty good amount of time to arrive, but I'm excited. I originally had the small size, but had pretty bad leaks, so I decided to buy the M/L on sale. The M/L look pretty sizeable, so I'm hoping that my leak problems will be solved.

& just so people can see the size of the small, I thought I'd post a picture that compares the sizes of the S/M/L! & what better size comparison prop than a lip balm. :)

e n i s h i fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 23, 2011

coop52
May 10, 2009

^Thanks so much for the comparison pic! I just ordered a Meluna M (my first cup! Thanks thread!) the other day, and seeing the pic has made me feel better about getting the right size. Hopefully I guessed right!

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
The MeLuna is surprisingly soft, compared to my DivaCup. I had trouble getting it to expand fully once I'd folded it to get it inside, and then uhhhh... I forgot it was in there and tried to have sex. Then I was like "...this feels awfully cramped-HOLY CRAP WAIT". That may have been due to the fact that I haven't been using my cup lately because of iud installation and all that, though.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I love how soft the MeLuna is.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Another recent convert here! I've always worn pads because the few times I tried tampons they were very inhospitable to my nether regions. Also never took much time to get familiar and comfortable with what's going on down there so I was reluctant to look for other solutions even though pads are horrible in their own way. Just as I was wondering what a girl can do to treat her cooch and the earth better while not smelling like rotting meat, I stumble upon this thread!

I got the small Diva and while I can't properly test it yet I've been working on getting my vag to cooperate with it. Did some research- small front door plus high cervix made me unsure about the best choice (I've learned more about vaginas his week than ever before!) but Diva seems to be working for me after some practice getting it past security. I can't get it to open all the way though. I know once you get into the foyer there's plenty of room in there, so I just have to work at it. And I have an irrational fear of losing it forever even though I know it's not that far in. Worst case scenario, hemostats to the rescue. But it's totally comfortable, when I get it situated finally it will be a great day. Thanks for all you testimonials, I'm almost free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009
My divacup came today... I'm a bit intimidated by the size. Should I try it while I'm not on my period for the first time or wait until it starts?

• Locked thread