Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
On a similar topic, what's the best way of having my password protector be portable? I sign on to many of the same sites from work as I do from home, is it a simple matter of emailing my keepass file to me at work?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Golbez posted:

On a similar topic, what's the best way of having my password protector be portable? I sign on to many of the same sites from work as I do from home, is it a simple matter of emailing my keepass file to me at work?

You can store your keepass file on Dropbox and it will automatically synch when updated.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I bought a neoprene case for my netbook and it loving reeks.

Is there something extra I can do to get the stink off of it besides leaving it outside, for a few days, to air out?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Sporadic posted:

I bought a neoprene case for my netbook and it loving reeks.

Is there something extra I can do to get the stink off of it besides leaving it outside, for a few days, to air out?

http://www.builtny.com/faqs-cat.html

quote:

Q: My product has that “neoprene smell.” What can I do to get rid of this?  

A: New neoprene often has something similar to a “new car smell.” Don’t worry, this will dissipate over time. To speed up the process, we recommend that you try washing your product first.

BUILT products are either hand or machine washable, depending on the product you have purchased. Washing instructions vary, so please check either the inside of your product, its original packaging, or the “Features” section on the product’s page at https://www.builtny.com for specific care guidelines.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

haveblue posted:

You can store your keepass file on Dropbox and it will automatically synch when updated.

I started doing this maybe two months ago and it rules. Especially since I can point the Android KeePass app to my Dropbox on the phone and it just works.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Strange, I can't find a tag on the product or on the packaging saying anything about washing. Same with the company's website.

It's a Case Logic LNEO-12

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Help me out, please, goons!

This guy lives in our neighborhood and is always outside working on his car. We're trying to figure out what the hell the cylindrical thing in the passenger window is. My husband says he's seen in on other classic cars around town, but neither of us have any idea what it is.

Thanks!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Fire In The Disco posted:

Help me out, please, goons!

This guy lives in our neighborhood and is always outside working on his car. We're trying to figure out what the hell the cylindrical thing in the passenger window is. My husband says he's seen in on other classic cars around town, but neither of us have any idea what it is.

Thanks!

It is called a car cooler, I think bridgestone thermador made it.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Based on this comic:

http://xkcd.com/936/

A long password made up of recognizable words is stronger than a shorter password with more characters. But what if the attacker knew your password didn't contain any special characters? Wouldn't that make the attempt to (brute force) crack much faster even if you account for the password length?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Bojanglesworth posted:

It is called a car cooler, I think bridgestone thermador made it.

Oh, rad, good to know. We live in a dry climate and are pretty familiar with evaporative ("swamp") coolers, so it's interesting to see that they were used in cars.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Sizzlechest posted:

Based on this comic:

http://xkcd.com/936/

A long password made up of recognizable words is stronger than a shorter password with more characters. But what if the attacker knew your password didn't contain any special characters? Wouldn't that make the attempt to (brute force) crack much faster even if you account for the password length?

Each of the difficulties outlined assume that the cracker knows the format of your password, but not what goes in each slot. Each square near a decision represents 1 bit of entropy - how "random" the choice is - and contributes to the overall strength of the password. ("Bit" being used in the computer-science way, not the generic English way.) There are 2^(number of bits) possible passwords for each of the selection methods, and you have to pick the 1 that matches the user's actual password.

For example, choosing "Troubador" out of a list of uncommon words is worth 16 bits of entropy - this means that the list containing "uncommon words" has about 2^16 ~= 65,000 words in it, and you chose 1 of them. Choosing whether to capitalize the first letter is only worth 1 bit of entropy - there were only 2^1 = 2 choices: capital or not. Combining just those two choices gives you 2^(16+1) ~= 130,000 possible passwords: each dictionary word, both uppercase and lowercase.

So choosing 4 "common" words from a list of about 2^11 ~= 2000 gives you 2^(11*4) bits of entropy, which is significantly more secure than choosing 1 "uncommon" word, and then doing a few weird things to it, where you don't make many choices at each step. The actual characters used don't factor into the calculation at all - just the number of choices you could have made at each step.

The 4-word password is actually about as random as a 7-character password where you randomly choose from uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and all characters, or a 10-character password made up of only lowercase letters, even though the 4-word password is way, way longer. correcthorsebatterystaple is much easier to remember than 2V($/Cp which is why he's suggesting it.

Edit: Spelling, removed "unnecessary" quotation marks.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 21, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Never really sat down to analyze password strength like that, but that's really useful to know for the future.

Oh, I was also wondering if tests have been done to determine what range of "air" we can live in.

From Wikipedia: Dry air contains roughly (by volume) 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. Air also contains a variable amount of water vapor, on average around 1%.

Can any of those values change by many percentage points and still support human life? How sensitive are humans to variations in those numbers?

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 21, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dudebro posted:

Oh, I was also wondering if tests have been done to determine what range of "air" we can live in.

From Wikipedia: Dry air contains roughly (by volume) 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. Air also contains a variable amount of water vapor, on average around 1%.

Can any of those values change by many percentage points and still support human life? How sensitive are humans to variations in those numbers?

Well, people go to oxygen bars in Japan, and as far as I'm aware the only danger is if you breathe in the pure oxygen for a long time. I'm not sure how far below 100% oxygen is safe, but I can't imagine it's too far from pure. I think anything else we'd need we can get from our food.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
So I'm going to a concert this Friday (Cut Copy!) and the venue holds 750 people max. How big of a venue is this? I think it's relatively small for a concert, but my fiance thinks it's large.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dudebro posted:

Never really sat down to analyze password strength like that, but that's really useful to know for the future.

Look up some gas mixes for deepsea diving for a good idea of what kinds of atmospheres we can breathe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathing_gas#Common_diving_breathing_gases

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

dopaMEAN posted:

So I'm going to a concert this Friday (Cut Copy!) and the venue holds 750 people max. How big of a venue is this? I think it's relatively small for a concert, but my fiance thinks it's large.

It's not particularly small but definitely not large.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dopaMEAN posted:

This is 750 seats.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Dudebro posted:

The only two gases that really matter here are oxygen and CO2. This site gives
a good run down on what happenes in hypoxic environments. When oxygen gets too high, you start having nasty free radicals form, which damage your tissues but that's on a time frame of years to decades.

CO2 also has an important effect on your body, just check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide#Toxicity.

Nitrogen is inert, and your body doesn't do anything with it-you could swap it out for another inert gas of similar boiling point/melting point and not miss it. Similar for argon, and water vapor isn't a big deal either-your body actually increases the water vapor of inhaled air as it travels to your lungs. Well, too much vapor may predispose you to pneumonia and respiratory infections.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
The thing about deep sea diving mixes is that they're very pressure dependent and will swap out nitrogen depending on how deep you're going and what you're doing.

Nitrogen is dangerous in those types of situation because of the bends; pure oxy mix works some places, but they no longer use it in space, for example, due to its flammability. Helium is a popular choice to mix oxygen with.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

What's the forum policy on asking about sites to watch television online?

For what it's worth, I'm more interested in the commercials/network-specific branding promos that air on specific channels than the shows themselves; going to the 'official' pages to watch, say, BNN online will give you a selection of their recent episodes of things, but I'm looking for all the junk that goes between the show.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

randyest posted:

This is 750 seats.

Is that SeaWorld?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dopaMEAN posted:

Is that SeaWorld?
Apparently it's an "Aqua Theatre" on a cruise ship. Which is pretty meta if you think about it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/cruise-ships/15168/Oasis-of-the-Seas.html it's like 5th in the pic gallery there.

(I just googled "750 seat arena")

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
A while back, there was an amazing site linked to help you reinstall after a format. It listed tons of popular/useful programs and would let you select the ones you wanted to bundle up, then would grab them all for you... or something?

Does anyone remember what/where that is?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

tarepanda posted:

A while back, there was an amazing site linked to help you reinstall after a format. It listed tons of popular/useful programs and would let you select the ones you wanted to bundle up, then would grab them all for you... or something?

Does anyone remember what/where that is?

http://ninite.com/

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
That's exactly it. Thanks!

Edit: Another question -- are Windows 7 CD keys region locked? i.e., if I use my friend's US Windows 7 DVD with my Japanese key, will it fail?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

tarepanda posted:

That's exactly it. Thanks!

Edit: Another question -- are Windows 7 CD keys region locked? i.e., if I use my friend's US Windows 7 DVD with my Japanese key, will it fail?

I believe the keys can be tied to different releases, so it probably won't work. But it isn't so much specifically a regional thing (like with DVD compatibilities, videogames, etc) as a branding/organizational thing I think.
(and different language discs probably have different keysets)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I wasn't sure because I could have sworn that Windows 7 would install the appropriate version if you put in a key; i.e., if you had an Ultimate CD, it would install Home Premium if you put in a Home Premium key or something.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

tarepanda posted:

I wasn't sure because I could have sworn that Windows 7 would install the appropriate version if you put in a key; i.e., if you had an Ultimate CD, it would install Home Premium if you put in a Home Premium key or something.

This article disputes that claim, has some other scenarios that might be of interest.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/osproductkeys/qt/windows-product-keys-faq.htm

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
A screw came out of my glasses frame, and I went to CVS and purchased one of those glasses repair kits but the screw isn't the exact size. If I take the lenses to Lenscrafters can i get them put in a new frame? Also how can I keep my frames "tight"? They seem to go loose easily. Would a better frame work? I am thinking about buying an Oakley frame.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

b0nes posted:

A screw came out of my glasses frame, and I went to CVS and purchased one of those glasses repair kits but the screw isn't the exact size. If I take the lenses to Lenscrafters can i get them put in a new frame? Also how can I keep my frames "tight"? They seem to go loose easily. Would a better frame work? I am thinking about buying an Oakley frame.

Surely you can just take them back to the opticians you got them from? As a kid I had to get a new screw put on quite regularly.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

b0nes posted:

Very often, you can just go to an optician and say "the screw fell out of my glasses, can you replace it?" and they will happily do so at no charge. Small glasses repair is something opticians have done for decades as a way to establish good will toward their shop, although very few people seem to actually know this!

I just learned this a month ago, actually; one of the nose guards fell off my glasses and I went into the nearest Lenscrafters to ask if there was any way he could replace it for me. (I bought the glasses at Walmart.) He cheerfully replaced BOTH nose guards and tightened all the screws in the glasses, and thanked me for coming in when he handed them back. :3:

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I'm seeing dick cheney in like 6 hours, what questions should I ask him?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Econosaurus posted:

How are you enjoying your retirement? Do you consider yourself retired?

Get on reddit and say this.

From Xaiter: How does it feel when you put your hand over your heart to recite the Pledge of Allegiance? (due to the lack of a pulse)

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 21, 2011

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Econosaurus posted:

Thoughts on the end of don't ask, don't tell.

Thoughts on wikileaks.

At what point does he cease to be a human and become Robocop?

Dreams and aspirations that have gone unrealized (I'm sure this is in his book, but I'm not going to read it).

Who would win in a fight between a grilled cheese and a taco.

Do you have stairs...

Favorite Democrat (or other non-Repub) politician to work with.

What he thinks of the new Facebook layout.

Book/movie/play that most inspired him professionally.

Biggest threat to American security over the next twenty years.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Econosaurus posted:

"Where's a good hiding place for WMDs?"

E:"I mean reaaaally good."

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
What's it like to literally have no soul, and have a heart that is so cold and black it literally has it's on gravity effect like a black hole.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
What are your thoughts on the schism in your administration on gay marriage and rights? You were for it, but your president was very much not. Was it simply a matter of shutting up and towing the line, or were there vocal, but private, discussions on the matter? I guess, boiled down, the question is: How much did he fight Bush over gay rights?

(Dick Cheney may be a prince of darkness but his stance on gay rights was one of his few bright points)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Naw it's just the exception that proves the rule: He only cares that single progressive idea because it directly affects him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't think of any question that doesn't involve attempting to assassinate him, sorry.