Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Decline posted:

New Butterz email went out today and there is a lot of big news. Looks like Elijah & Skilliam will be featured on Rinse 17. The autumn zip is out!

Check it out: http://ymlp.com/zERDVf.

Butterz is the label!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

a milk crime posted:

Butterz is the label!

...that doesn't know how to tag their mp3s. I love the free zips, but you'd think they'd spend a few minutes making sure all the artist and track name fields are filled out correctly anyway.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Subtle posted:

Roof Light does this sort of stuff too-very similar to burial (perhaps too similar...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVNIP2NXZ8o

v cool.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Well you should check out Sully's recently released LP. I talked about it a few days back. And definitely Dusk & Blackdown's LP from a few years ago - Margins Music. Heavy on the atmoshphere and 2-step influences.

Yeah the new Sully was what got me looking for this. Thanks for the recommendations, got a lot to dig through now. Feeling Machinedrum and a lot of what I sampled on that Margins Music so far.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I just got home from seeing Joe Nice and Pangaea (and a bit of Dave Q) at Deep Space/Dub War. Cielo has an incredible system and anyone in the area should check it out at least once.

Pangea played a great set, but Joe Nice stole the show with a classic dubstep set. He opened with Goat Stare, and just threw down classic after classic. He did some amazing scratching/mashup with Red and a Ms Dynamite track. I heard a bunch of stuff from Dubstep Allstars Volume 1, which I had jammed on cd/mp3 players so many times, and listening to it through a club system (and one of, if not the best I've ever heard) was eye- and ear-opening.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

JamesKPolk posted:

I just got home from seeing Joe Nice and Pangaea (and a bit of Dave Q) at Deep Space/Dub War. Cielo has an incredible system and anyone in the area should check it out at least once.

Pangea played a great set, but Joe Nice stole the show with a classic dubstep set. He opened with Goat Stare, and just threw down classic after classic. He did some amazing scratching/mashup with Red and a Ms Dynamite track. I heard a bunch of stuff from Dubstep Allstars Volume 1, which I had jammed on cd/mp3 players so many times, and listening to it through a club system (and one of, if not the best I've ever heard) was eye- and ear-opening.

I've always heard good things about the sound at that Dub War. The best bit about that early stuff is when you think that Hatcha had pretty much all those tracks locked down and exclusive to him.

I hope Joe played El-B's Amazon, one of the tracks that, when it came out, made me - coming from the late garage/grime thing - really switch all my attention onto Dubstep. Tune's like that were just something else entirely, it wasn't just darker garage like the early Tempa or Shelflife stuff, it was way too different. Finally hearing it on a proper system years ago was just immense. As much as people will bitch about me saying this, you've really not fully experienced the music unless you've heard it on a proper sound system. No lovely out of the box JBL club system thing. Proper handcrafted ghetto ultra bass rig ting.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

JamesKPolk posted:

Joe Nice stole the show with a classic dubstep set. He opened with Goat Stare, and just threw down classic after classic.

Surprising, in a good way, to hear this. For a while he was very "only playing the latest dubs, once it's released on vinyl it's out of my record box". I think a solid classic set, or a few nods to personal favorites and/or major influences in a long set are a good look.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I've always heard good things about the sound at that Dub War. The best bit about that early stuff is when you think that Hatcha had pretty much all those tracks locked down and exclusive to him.

I think this is the first time it was at this place. The sound at the place where it was before it stopped being a regular night was good, but Cielo was even better. Huge bass (and the dance floor was all wood so the subs would massage your feet just from shaking the floor so much) but really crisp highs too, and not oppressively loud- just BIG.

SUBFRIES posted:

Surprising, in a good way, to hear this. For a while he was very "only playing the latest dubs, once it's released on vinyl it's out of my record box". I think a solid classic set, or a few nods to personal favorites and/or major influences in a long set are a good look.

I definitely agree. I think part of it was that Dub War hasn't been here regularly for at least the past year, and this was a reunion type thing, hence the different venue. Perfect for a set like that.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Serious track from VIVEK, deeeeeeep.

V.I.V.E.K - Asteroids/Kismet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuANhbw46XE

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
£7.50 tickets for a butterz night in november in london

http://www.hiddenclub.co.uk/events/?id=11615

Zed Bias
Elijah & Skilliam ft. TRIM
Terror Danjah
Royal-T
Swindle
TRC

edit: so there are some sweet london nights coming up

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=286201944726939

Black Room:
HEADLINER TBA
YOUNGSTA (Rinse FM)
CYRUS (Deep Medi/Get Darker)
V.I.V.E.K (Deep Medi)
KRYPTIC MINDS (Black Box/Osiris Music)
OFFKEY b2b DUBSON (Momentum Audio/Licked Beatz/Regulate)

Red Room: H.E.N.C.H TAKEOVER
CHASING SHADOWS (Hench)
MRK1 (Hench)
EDDIE K (Hench)
SLUGZ & BOYSON (Dub Pack/Swagger)

http://www.hiddenclub.co.uk/events/?id=11601

Appleblim, Loefah, Mosca, Lone, Ossie

http://www.hiddenclub.co.uk/events/?id=11604

SECRET HEADLINER TBA, Matt Jam Lamont, T.Williams (Garage Set), Noodles (Groove Chronicles), Hot City, Dem 2, El-B (Ghost Recordings), Slimzee, Dusk & Blackdown, MJE, MULTIPLY, Horsepower Productions, Scott Garcia, DEA Project, DJ Narrows, Whistla, Smokey Bubblin B, Rude Boi Brand, Cyanide B

http://www.hiddenclub.co.uk/events/?id=11646

Redlight & Dread MC, Sticky & Warrior Queen, Very Special Guests, PITCH CONTROLLERS, Marcus Nasty, P Money & Blacks, Spyro, JJ, Vectra, DJ Maximum, Teddy Music, Merky Ace, Motive

http://www.hiddenclub.co.uk/events/?id=11648

Silkie, Quest, Phaeleh, El-B (Ghost Recordings), Lost, Biome, Slugz & Boyson, Offkey, Very Special Guests

also i got bax on vinyl ayooooooooo

qwako fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 21, 2011

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Absolutely everyone one of those dances is going to be insane gently caress.

Here's a free remix Royal-T released because he has 2k Twitter followers: http://soundcloud.com/royaltmusic/clement-marfo-the-frontline

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Hey all. I'm crossposting this from the DJ mixes thread.

I recorded a new live promo mix of some bass music last weekend:

Grape Guts - Shine
http://soundcloud.com/grape-guts/shine

1 Annie's Mac (Cedaa's Still Tippin' edit) - KingThing
2 Coolant - Pedro 123
3 Cross That Line (Mister Tweeks Remix) - DJ Hilti
4 Another Girl - Jacques Greene
5 Ain't Gonna Lie - Deadboy
6 Mirage (Girl Unit Remix) - Nguzunguzu
7 Mood Swing - Anthony "Shake" Shakir
8 Juice - Lunice
9 If You Buck - Kingdom
10 Thunder Bay - Hudson Mohawke
11 Orangeade - Royal-T
12 E10 Riddim - Rossi B & Luca
13 Girly - Surkin, Bobmo, High Powered Boys
14 Be Myself - Dark Sky
15 Wind It Up - Mark Pritchard, Om'Mas Keith
16 Spliff Dub (Rustie remix) - Zomby
17 Slap - Redinho
18 Jasmin (Sines Slabs On Swangas Remix) - Sines
19 Hitmanes Anthem (Noaipre Remix) - Lunice
20 High For This - The Weeknd

Book me in the bay area!

edit: I'm @GrapeGuts on twitter if you like what you hear and want to follow

Dopo fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 22, 2011

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Solid tracklist.

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
Numbers profile on Benji B's show this week y'all: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014lv2c

(can't wait for the new Zed Bias. I love that Deep Inside tune!)

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

An0 posted:

Numbers profile on Benji B's show this week y'all: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014lv2c

(can't wait for the new Zed Bias. I love that Deep Inside tune!)

At least now you can listen to it all with the proper bass pressure man, with your new stereo!

The new ZB album apparently available at the Tru Thoughts shop/Etch Records. Amazingly cheap at only £7.25 for the CD, or for those of you with a tiny penis, £5 for the digi. Should also be out in your favourite local record store over the next few days as well.

I'm especially looking forward to his collab with Skream - Badness. Much like the collab he did with Skream for his latest Maddslinky album (50 Shades of Peng), it's another badman tune that shows the kids how the big jump-up stuff should be done. And in another similarity to the last tune it's also on a wierd vinyl, this time at least it's a picture disc rather than some crazy priced Serato control disc thing.

Tru Thoughts have really been on fire the past year or so. You had the Maddslinky album, the reissue of the old Maddslinky album. You've got Omar and the reissue of his fantastic album from a few years back(which includes bonus in the fantastic Zed Bias produced Dancing), Mark De Clive-Lowe has a new album out on them, new Beta Hector is nice, and you've got Rodney P with new stuff as well. It's getting to be a nice stable for established artists. Plus going back a few years ago they also had a group who made the Kings Of Leon sound good.

Now if only they'd also release all the albums in vinyl as well.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I saw Roska and Toddla T had some American tour dates so I googled to see if they were coming to New York.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm interested in catching Roska but I'm not all that into Toddla T (LP on Ninja Tune? Bad sign), though his Fabriclive entry was pretty okay I guess. Considering shelling out to see them. It was certainly worth it for the Tunnidge / dBridge / Pinch show.

Also just found out that Girl Unit will be showing up in about 5 days. A weekday show, so turnout's going to be even worse than usual (that stuff bothers me! I randomly showed up to a packed Andy C set a few years back and I was blown away by the crowd energy alone), but he should be spinning some good tracks.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
Red Bull are doing some crazy poo poo

quote:

On October 13th 2011, Red Bull Music Academy will be taking over the London Eye. For one night only, each of the 30 capsules will be transformed into individual gig spaces, playing host to influential producers, DJs and bands from across the globe, whilst the area below plays host to a huge silent disco.

http://www.redbull.co.uk/cs/Satellite/en_UK/Event/Revolution-in-sound-021243079574724

tickets went up the other day and i hopefully got one for FabricLive ft Hessle Ausio (Pearson Sound, Ben UFO, Pangaea)

im willing to bet that its way way too late to apply for a ticket now but i thought i would show it off to the thread

quote:

The line up for Revolutions in Sound:

Wretch 32, Skream & Benga w/ Sgt Pokes, Metalheadz ft Goldie MC Justyce, Ms Dynamite, Kano, Digital Soundboy Soundsystem (Shy FX, Breakage, B Traits, Donae’o, Stamina MC & Youngman), Rodigan, FabricLive ft Hessle Ausio (Pearson Sound, Ben UFO, Pangaea), Andrew Weatherall, Roller Express, Rob da Bank presents Sunday Best, Beardyman, Don Letts, YoYo ft Seb Chew, Deviation ft Benji B, The 2 Bears, L-Vis 1990 B2B Bok Bok (Night Slugs), Jess Mills ft Zinc, Channel One Sound System, Horse Meat Disco, Jackmaster, Lunice, Afrikan Boy, RBMA Madrid ft XXXY & Doc Daneeka, Andreya Triana & Tanya Auclair, RBMA Allstars ft Space Dimension Controller B2B Braiden, Moshi Moshi ft D/R/U/G/S & Night Angles, Red Bull Studio Presents Very Special Guest, Roundhouse Studio Presents, Soweto Kinch.

music is also getting streamed live from the red bull site on the night

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

qwako posted:

Ah Red Bull, your Formula 1 team and it's terrible wannabe coolness piss me off, but I'll be damned if you don't put your money where your mouth is. Not only a impressive bunch of line-ups, but an interesting location too. And it's free too? Try getting into the London eye for free normally! Shame they had to ruin it all with a silent disco.

And in some other release news, Roly Porter - the other half of Vex'd - has a new album out. Sadly like the work of his ex-musical partner, it doesn't sound very good if you ask me. All droney, occasionally abrasive and generally boring. Basically like your usual higher grade Vangelis or Eno knock-off. There's one or two wee nice bits in a song, but they come and go so quickly and are just mixed in with thick chunks of grey blah. Not even track titles named after stuff from Dune can sway me. But hey I'm sure some of you out there will love it.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

qwako posted:

http://www.redbull.co.uk/cs/Satellite/en_UK/Event/Revolution-in-sound-021243079574724

tickets went up the other day and i hopefully got one for FabricLive ft Hessle Ausio (Pearson Sound, Ben UFO, Pangaea)

im willing to bet that its way way too late to apply for a ticket now but i thought i would show it off to the thread

music is also getting streamed live from the red bull site on the night

Applied for the Digital Soundboy One just because its free and why not but is it really 7-10pm? lame.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

LE0N posted:

Applied for the Digital Soundboy One just because its free and why not but is it really 7-10pm? lame.

Just think of it as the alternative to the pub for the pre-dance warmup, then head out to wherever. Make a proper night of it. It's London, streets are paved with gold and top class DJs play out ten times a night for gently caress all money and all that, so there's bound to be something good on. Jammy cunts.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ah drat it all

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Rustie's new LP on Warp is really really good.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Mike_V posted:

Wow I may have to actually get it, then. I was always slightly skeptical just because some of his stuff I'm not a fan of (and he's an awful DJ)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

You can sample the tracks on Juno if you're skeptical. He made a really nice 80s-type wonky sound on this album

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

My friend IBYSS and I made a juke tune, check it out:

DJ CHUMP CHANGE + IBYSS - HAVE THE BEAT

http://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/dj-chump-change-ibyss-have-the

Maguro fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 25, 2011

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mike_V posted:

Best thing I've heard in a minute. Album of the year for me.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
TRC released a free EP with some new cuts on it: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ry4c7m

And that new Rustie is as bananas as I hoped. Love how City Star evolves into an absolute banger.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Thanks for the TRC heads up. I haven't heard much from him recently. Is he still with the Butterz crew?

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

Number Two Stunna posted:

Best thing I've heard in a minute. Album of the year for me.

Yes indeed... he's really found his groove.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

Mike_V posted:

Thanks for the TRC heads up. I haven't heard much from him recently. Is he still with the Butterz crew?

I haven't heard much concerning TRC lately - he put out a free mix (Summer Splash Vol. 1) sometime this spring/early summer.

The Butterz twitter account confirmed that BR010 is a Terror Danjah release and BR011 is something new. First mention I've heard of either releases. I'm psyched for BR009, love that Swindle & Silkie tune.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Actually pleasantly surprised with this. I loved Jagz The Smack when it appeared, and Rustie definitely had a big buzz about him here (hometown and all that I guess) but most of what he's done since then just never pushed my buttons.

When Ultra Thizz dropped though I actually liked it which was a surprise, though I'm way too sceptical and figured it would be a one off while the rest of the album would be terrible ala Butter. But no, it's actually sounding good. Not exactly perfect for sure, but still good.

Ola Ugh
May 19, 2005

Sjåre brymæ

Maguro posted:

My friend IBYSS and I made a juke tune, check it out:

DJ CHUMP CHANGE + IBYSS - HAVE THE BEAT

http://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/dj-chump-change-ibyss-have-the
I love it.

This one is mind blowing. Proper electro vibes:
Riffs - Tooth Pick
http://soundcloud.com/jigsoreriffs/tooth-pick

Ola Ugh fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 25, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Nice (if short) interview with the Black Box/Box Clever Records guy over on Broken Culture. I didn't know it was an off-shoot of Chemical Records, interesting to know. Definitely one strong label, and it quickly became one of my favourite that was putting out more 'rootsy' Dubstep stuff. Plus I love the fact they have a proper release schedule, no dribs and drabs here. You're getting roughly at least 1 release a month. Now that's how you build a brand.

And they also raise a good point here when asked about receiving tunes, and mirrors something I've believed for years.

Black Box Records posted:

Honestly, I just wish that more people would take time, years if necessary, to develop some real production skills before they bother sending out demos. It’s so easy to download Fruity Loops and some sample packs, bash some tunes together and upload them to Soundcloud. I am bombarded with tracks which are just crap, and it drives me mad! People seem so impatient these days to get any kind of recognition that they won’t wait for their music to be at a level where they make a real statement.

I just love hearing a new artist who has clearly worked hard allowing their skills and their sound to develop behind closed doors, and then just appears on the scene with some amazing music that blows you away. In terms of my label, people like Lurka, Commodo, Kahn, LAS, TMSV – all these guys appeared to come out of nowhere! On a bigger scale, look at someone like Joy Orbison – he debuted with a track like Hyph Mngo and is now a big name. If he’d been putting half-decent tracks on his Soundcloud for years, maybe it wouldn’t have happened the way it did.

I definitely think it's a problem nowadays with producers. Impatience and also revealing yourself too early, and putting out bits and bobs of quite frankly, poo poo or mediocre music, even if it's just stuff you pass off as 'sketches' or whatever. It's like having the opening night of your play before everyone has learned their lines. The stage is only half-built and you open the curtain to a massive crowd who just end up being very disappointed. Maybe it had some potential once everything was in place, maybe it had some great potential, but everyone remembers your name and how poor it was originally. Folks should respect themselves and their skills some more, and come correct first time out and make a real impact instead of pushing half-finished stuff that just dissolves away.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Thanks for the interview link.

Hum and Buzz (Ikonika label) just released their 3rd record, this one from Dro Carey. I'm not really sure how to describe it, but there's some footwork influence and some real nice bass. http://boomkat.com/downloads/451726-dro-carey-candy-red-hungry-horse

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
This weekend is going to kick rear end... seeing Brenmar on Friday and Breakage on Saturday. Really excited about seeing Brenmar, I love his poo poo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC-yqXMy-F4

Video is awesome too.

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
Has anyone posted this yet because it's really good and free:

http://www.adultswim.com/promos/201109_unclassified/index.html

knife and gun 2-step remix
geiom - pure bristle
pinch - blow out the candle
actress - murder plaza
etc.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
So...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rM_O1aftso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH1Rq20voZc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgIO7LDfjUA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAvCA8y_dpY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnvgIono69A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3-25MEpVOc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaPwIH7MWn4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyDuB4VXJ-I

I like house now.

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
If someone tells you they don't like house they are probably lying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G22KCpB15tY

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Haha yeah, how do you listen to EDM and not like house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Whenever I make a solid effort to educate myself in house I feel overcome because of the sheer variety and depth. Though I've made some headway recently there's too much great house!

Tactical Grace fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 27, 2011

• Locked thread