Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Naw it's just the exception that proves the rule: He only cares that single progressive idea because it directly affects him.

Better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Wait, I thought the extent of Dick Cheney being "for" gay marriage was that he thought states should get to decide. Not exactly "apply Loving v. Virginia to gay marriage".

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Wait, I thought the extent of Dick Cheney being "for" gay marriage was that he thought states should get to decide. Not exactly "apply Loving v. Virginia to gay marriage".

Hadn't thought about the Loving v. Virginia point, but the main question wasn't so much how strongly he was for gay rights, simply that he was, and Bush wasn't, so I was wondering how much private argument went into that, or if he just bucked up and accepted it wasn't going to happen, or didn't care because he didn't feel it was his responsibility.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Have stores just stopped stocking zebra gum (or whatever it's called)? I remember it being pretty ubiquitous in the 90's but I've only seen in one specialty store recently.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I think heavily sugared gums just kind of went out of style so they get less shelf space. Google says walmart has it still.

Now I want a piece of it! :(

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Haha that's like the exact opposite of what I was thinking, it was in this import/bistro/italian bakery type place.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

change my name posted:

Have stores just stopped stocking zebra gum (or whatever it's called)? I remember it being pretty ubiquitous in the 90's but I've only seen in one specialty store recently.

They got it at 7-11 here.

You can also get stuff like this in bulk on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Stripe-Chewing-Sided-Model/dp/B000Y2EJHY

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Every once in a great while an 18 wheeler with a Fruit Stripe trailer comes through town. I'm usually awestruck by it's glory and have never managed to get a photo of it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

trandorian posted:

They got it at 7-11 here.

You can also get stuff like this in bulk on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Stripe-Chewing-Sided-Model/dp/B000Y2EJHY

Second question: why would an individual ever buy this much gum at once. This is like the coupons forum and the 5 pound bags of haribo stuff.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Some people like to have stockpiles of everything, especially if it means saving money. You don't have to eat it all at once you know...

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

change my name posted:

Second question: why would an individual ever buy this much gum at once. This is like the coupons forum and the 5 pound bags of haribo stuff.

I buy eclipse in the 60count...it's a lot cheaper. I don't know why with those because they are pretty much retail (~1$ a pack).

E: Maybe you answered your own question though, it's hard to get so people buy it online in quantities that make sense (looks like they only sell 12 pack cases).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

change my name posted:

Either they simply can't get any of that gum around them so they buy one big box, or they really loving love them some gum.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Or buy them, mark them up, and sell them individually at their own small stores for profit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Has anyone (including Microsoft) studied whether the various Gamer Zones in XBox Live have any effect on the play experience? Wikipedia says this, with no citation:
"However, in practice these gamer zones are displayed only on the Gamercard of the player, and do not tend to affect the gameplay experience or the matching of players in online games."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kimbo305 posted:

Has anyone (including Microsoft) studied whether the various Gamer Zones in XBox Live have any effect on the play experience? Wikipedia says this, with no citation:
"However, in practice these gamer zones are displayed only on the Gamercard of the player, and do not tend to affect the gameplay experience or the matching of players in online games."

Well IIRC the gamerzone data is never used in any Xbox Live system stuff for player matching. All it is is a field in your profile.

Can you even search for players by Gamer Zone?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

kimbo305 posted:

So my spending like half an hour trying to decide which zone to use when I got my 360 was entirely futile? :-(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think Microsoft realized it was pointless to divide Live into five separate player bases that couldn't see each other. Either the players would be evenly distributed, leaving each individual player with 1/5 of the total Live population to interact with, or one zone would end up with the overwhelming majority of players, making the whole system irrelevant.

I don't know of any games that take zone into account for matchmaking (and I used to work on Xbox games myself).

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Why do some ads say and//or sell "FAMOUS MAKER" LCD MONITOR or something instead of the actual brand/they place black tape over any branding or strip it of any branding?

I've been curious about this for a while.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

Why do some ads say and//or sell "FAMOUS MAKER" LCD MONITOR or something instead of the actual brand/they place black tape over any branding or strip it of any branding?

I've been curious about this for a while.

Many manufacturers have deals with retailers that prevent them from listing a certain product below a given price. You see the same thing done on e-commerce sites where you have to add a product to your shopping cart to see the actual price.

The manufacturers don't want a reputation as "cheap," so they put a floor in place. The retailer wants to let you know that it isn't a generic brand LCD screen that's selling for the cheap price. Hence: "Famous Maker."

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I just noticed today that the tags on my car are expired by about a month. Is there someplace online I can pay? I'm in Iowa if that helps.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I am starting a new job in a couple weeks and I have to have steel-toe boots. I've worn them before in my old job although my old employer did not require them but I haven't worn any in a couple years.

The second-last pair I had (can't remember the brand) were really comfortable after they broke in but they are discontinued. The last pair I had (Wolverines) felt great in the store but I could not get the drat things broken-in and finally gave up on them.

I know Red Wings are the consensus best brand but which one? Tell me what you wear, Red Wing or otherwise so I can know better what to look for at the shoe store.

P.S. I have stupid-wide feet, size 12-4E

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Hmm, you are probably way ahead of anyone else in the steel-toe boots knowledge. When I wore them for my old job, I had a bunch (under 5 different pairs altogether) and the last one I had, Converse, were the best and most comfortable. The front part's outer skin eventually became damaged, but the structure and safety features of the shoe remained intact. Never expected Converse of all brands to make a nice safety shoe.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Douche Bag posted:

I just noticed today that the tags on my car are expired by about a month. Is there someplace online I can pay? I'm in Iowa if that helps.

:google:

https://www.iowatreasurers.org/iscta/access/payTagRenewal/welcome.do

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Huh.

Continuing with tag-talk. The tags on my car are long, long expired since I've been overseas so long. We're moving from one state to another. Are tags somehow transferable if I pay in, say, TN (and the car currently has KY plates?) and then go to CA and get state tags in CA for residency without paying another yearly thing? Or should I be looking into temporary tags, even if I'm driving the car across multiple states?

What's the best way not to get hosed out of my money?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Huh.

Continuing with tag-talk. The tags on my car are long, long expired since I've been overseas so long. We're moving from one state to another. Are tags somehow transferable if I pay in, say, TN (and the car currently has KY plates?) and then go to CA and get state tags in CA for residency without paying another yearly thing? Or should I be looking into temporary tags, even if I'm driving the car across multiple states?

I think you should pay up your Kentucky registration if necessary and maintain it until you move to California. If you intend to make CA your permanent residence, buy California tags. Call Kentucky's DMV and unregister your car in that state. They will pay you back the remainder of your registration fees.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Some states have temporary tags, moving permits, etc. It's basically a "what costs more for the benefit" equation. If you just want to move it to the new place and register there a "T tag" is probably best. If you want to drive for a while then move then you will probably want to register in your current state.

I don't think anywhere "transfers" registration.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There was an artist mentioned that I'd like to find again. He had a very non-anglo-saxon name (It might have been russian?) and his paintings were generally extremely creepy, like a chair merged with a crotch and legs and too many limbs intertwined and other creepy things. I have no idea where it was mentioned.
Edit: Nevermind, found it on my own. Anyone who wants creepy creepy art should check out http://beksinski.dmochowskigallery.net/galeria_past.php?lang=e

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 22, 2011

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

Dudebro posted:

Hmm, you are probably way ahead of anyone else in the steel-toe boots knowledge. When I wore them for my old job, I had a bunch (under 5 different pairs altogether) and the last one I had, Converse, were the best and most comfortable. The front part's outer skin eventually became damaged, but the structure and safety features of the shoe remained intact. Never expected Converse of all brands to make a nice safety shoe.

I'd ask this in Watch and Woot. I think that they have a new boot thread everyone's asking for recommendations in

Mahstah
Mar 20, 2009

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I know Red Wings are the consensus best brand but which one? Tell me what you wear, Red Wing or otherwise so I can know better what to look for at the shoe store.

I wear redwings at work, 13 hours a day, 21 days straight at a time. They are awesome. I also have "stupid-wide feet" 11-4E. My redwing store only had two pairs that fit me in inventory.

I bought These

I wear them in weather all the way down to -50F in the winter. Would recommend them to anyone.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I am starting a new job in a couple weeks and I have to have steel-toe boots. I've worn them before in my old job although my old employer did not require them but I haven't worn any in a couple years.

The second-last pair I had (can't remember the brand) were really comfortable after they broke in but they are discontinued. The last pair I had (Wolverines) felt great in the store but I could not get the drat things broken-in and finally gave up on them.

Another vote here for Red Wings. I can't remember the exact style, but I've had a few pairs and they were all great. Be sure to spring for the real Red wings though, because they also carry a budget line called "Worx" or something and they're just awful.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I'm trying to find a website where you enter a ton of medical information about yourself and it spits out a detailed report to give to your doctor. I can't remember the name of it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Douche Bag posted:

Sup Iowa expired tag buddy. Yes, assuming you have Iowa tags you should have gotten a letter in the mail shortly before they expired that would have had a URL and all the info you need. I believe the website would have been: https://www.iowatreasurers.org/iscta/access/payTagRenewal/welcome.do (large counties have their own sites, linked at the top of the paragraph there)

I was pulled over last year in Cedar Rapids for having tags expired for 3 months; you apparently get a month grace period and then it's open season. Had to pay a fine along with also having to pay for the tags.

Alphamale968
Sep 17, 2006
I've been reading books by Neil deGrasse Tyson and watching a lot of Carl Sagan programs as of late. And I've been thinking about purchasing a modest telescope to observe the heavens. I think it would be fascinating to be able to see comets, meteor showers, planetary events, (think the Jupiter's Great Red Spot) or not too far off galaxies. I'm thinking of something more robust than a Walmart brand toy, but something that I would not have to leverage my home in order to purchase. Any suggestions? Is there a thread on the SA forums or some other community I should consult?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Edit: nvm

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Alphamale968 posted:

I've been reading books by Neil deGrasse Tyson and watching a lot of Carl Sagan programs as of late. And I've been thinking about purchasing a modest telescope to observe the heavens. I think it would be fascinating to be able to see comets, meteor showers, planetary events, (think the Jupiter's Great Red Spot) or not too far off galaxies. I'm thinking of something more robust than a Walmart brand toy, but something that I would not have to leverage my home in order to purchase. Any suggestions? Is there a thread on the SA forums or some other community I should consult?

The amateur astronomy thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
What's the etiquette surrounding interviewing for a job that I'm not sure that I want? I'm working at a small business right now, and I really like my boss and all of my coworkers, but was just contacted out of the blue by a Microsoft recruiter who still had my resume on file from when I was looking for work a year and a half ago. I really like my current job, but I know that there are things that Microsoft could offer that I'd just never get here in terms of money, benefits, and education opportunities. Would it be bad form to interview for the MS job, and then turn it down if it were offered and I decided that I didn't want it?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Gravity Pike posted:

What's the etiquette surrounding interviewing for a job that I'm not sure that I want? I'm working at a small business right now, and I really like my boss and all of my coworkers, but was just contacted out of the blue by a Microsoft recruiter who still had my resume on file from when I was looking for work a year and a half ago. I really like my current job, but I know that there are things that Microsoft could offer that I'd just never get here in terms of money, benefits, and education opportunities. Would it be bad form to interview for the MS job, and then turn it down if it were offered and I decided that I didn't want it?
Nope, that's fine. I do it all the time, at least a few times a year. The best time to interview and look for a better job is when you already have one. Just don't tell them you're not really sure that you're intersted. Hell, you might end up with an offer you can't refuse. And you can always turn down thier offer, assuming you get one, for any reasonor no reason Also, of course, don't tell your employer or show up at work later unusually overdressed ininterview clothes.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I asked a question about my eBay transaction a few days ago and now have another one.

So I shipped off my item on September 2nd to Berlin and it has been there since September 12th. The notification on the tracking number says "Addressee requests pick up" but as of today the buyer still hasn't picked up the parcel. I emailed the buyer two days ago and asked if he has received it and if he hasn't to either call the post office or go and pick it up. I still have not received a reply.

Here's my question though. Today the money he paid became available to spend in my Paypal account. Assuming he never picks up the item and never messages me back, when am I able to spend this money without the risk of him claiming I never sent the item and having to refund his money? I'm not trying to scam him but I want to use the money drat it, I'm not going to have it sit there just in case he files a complaint against me.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

taste posted:

I asked a question about my eBay transaction a few days ago and now have another one.

So I shipped off my item on September 2nd to Berlin and it has been there since September 12th. The notification on the tracking number says "Addressee requests pick up" but as of today the buyer still hasn't picked up the parcel. I emailed the buyer two days ago and asked if he has received it and if he hasn't to either call the post office or go and pick it up. I still have not received a reply.

Here's my question though. Today the money he paid became available to spend in my Paypal account. Assuming he never picks up the item and never messages me back, when am I able to spend this money without the risk of him claiming I never sent the item and having to refund his money? I'm not trying to scam him but I want to use the money drat it, I'm not going to have it sit there just in case he files a complaint against me.

I think its like 120 days. Before that he can dispute the transaction through PayPal. After that he would have to do it with his bank. PayPal is really hosed up because pretty much nothing is guaranteed, anyone can yank money for any reason if they really want to.

I disputed money that I sent to someone as a gift and got my money back almost immediately. It was warranted, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm in search of new (to me) TV to watch: if I wanted to dive into Dr. Who (without starting all the way at the very beginning), where do I start? It's hard to know since the show's been on since somewhere around 1942. I assume I should just start with the 2005 version?