Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Muscleguy's arm looks a bit weird but that could just me just being blinded with jealousy.

I love that red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Next on my to do list:

Hoping to get these finished in a couple of days.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Three of them? You bought three of them?!

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Cheers folks. For the red i normally do 2-3 coats of scab red over a mecherite red+black wash, then blood red highlight.

Here's a Razorback i did in that style which took about ten coats of scab red to get decent coverage. Moral of the story is gently caress Scab Red. First time i tried weathering, i think it came out a bit too cartoon-like.

Bonus shots of some old Templar scouts i did with weird grey skin.

Edit: Tables

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Looking for help with my zombie pirate colour scheme! Went for white, black and red, but now that I've got the basic colours down, it feels like it's missing a colour or two. I'm still pretty new to actually taking time to paint models, so any tips would be appreciated (bearing in mind I'm planning on recoating/ cleaning up most of the colouring).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Big Willy Style posted:

Next on my to do list:

There is not a :black101: big enough for this picture.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Supreme Court posted:

Looking for help with my zombie pirate colour scheme! Went for white, black and red, but now that I've got the basic colours down, it feels like it's missing a colour or two. I'm still pretty new to actually taking time to paint models, so any tips would be appreciated (bearing in mind I'm planning on recoating/ cleaning up most of the colouring).

Maybe Switch the red out for blue on a few bits of clothing. They look real nice so far man! Zombies are always fun to put together and paint.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

There is not a :black101: big enough for this picture.

Tell me about it, contemptor dreads + Puppets War arms are amazing.

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Three of them? You bought three of them?!

I didn't, these are being done for commission. I am tempted to buy a few and do a pre heresy World Eaters army, however. You can build an army cheaper by buying the forgeworld pre-heresy armour than you can buying regular GW models in Australia.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 20, 2011

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Is there any chance that anyone here has a spare left tyranid warrior leg? My heavy weapon warrior suffered a critical hit at the hands of my 3 year old nephew and the leg snapped off and vanished from the material world. I've pretty much torn the room apart looking for it and it's nowhere to be found.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

The Heckler posted:

Cheers folks. For the red i normally do 2-3 coats of scab red over a mecherite red..

That looks gorgeous. I really like that red color as well.

The mud on it looks real. But I doubt you are keen on smearing your fancy model with actual.. mud.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Big Willy Style posted:

Next on my to do list:

Are these part of the Thousand Sons army? I see those Scibor Egyptian Shields on sticks with the scarab that needs its legs filing (:argh: I am not filing all of these shoulderpads dammit).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Angryboot posted:

Heh cool.

I haven't decided on what to do with windows at all. As it stands right now I think I'm gonna end up rebuilding everything anyway. I have no idea; I'm flip floppy.

You know what would really be cool? Someone with an ALPS printer that can print white on the transparencies so that the designs will stand out better. Then you could have floating holographic ads all over your windows like what you see in Deus Ex.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Torabi posted:

The mud on it looks real. But I doubt you are keen on smearing your fancy model with actual.. mud.

Cheers! That's just Tamiya weathering powder and lots of water. I'm not sure if the forgeworld ones are any cop, might pick up their Dark Earth one to match my current basing theme.

Actually that reminds me, Supreme Court - Weathering Powder looks awesome on undead/zombie models. I went completely overboard on mine though and they just looked like brown goo guys.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The Heckler posted:

Cheers! That's just Tamiya weathering powder and lots of water. I'm not sure if the forgeworld ones are any cop, might pick up their Dark Earth one to match my current basing theme.

Actually that reminds me, Supreme Court - Weathering Powder looks awesome on undead/zombie models. I went completely overboard on mine though and they just looked like brown goo guys.

I am interested in seeing aforementioned "Brown goo guys".

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yellow is an interesting colour to paint.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's a pox-riddled tart is what it is.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Since a greenish-khaki is the predominant color of my Flames of War minis, should I just prime them that color to begin with?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Big Willy Style posted:

Next on my to do list:

What are these arms? Because God drat it, I said I wouldn't buy any Contemptors until I saw autocannon arms... And now, welp. :suicide:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
http://puppetswar.eu/

They don't really look good on regular dreads but they're phenomenal on those Contemptor bodies.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

The Heckler posted:

Bit of cross posting from the Oath thread. I'm real happy with how the Melta man came out, considering what a fuckin' bodge job conversion it started off as.

Whelp.

*tosses his Coteaz army in the trash*

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

http://puppetswar.eu/

They don't really look good on regular dreads but they're phenomenal on those Contemptor bodies.

They give you two per set; how awesome is that poo poo.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Sole.Sushi posted:

They give you two per set; how awesome is that poo poo.
About 1/10th as awesome as http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=20

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me I hate working with decals.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
As much as I love Fat Plague Gentlman, and I do, I think those autocannons look bad. The shoulders are terrible, even on a Contemptor.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I've had absolutely zero time to paint anything in the last few weeks thanks to starting school all over again. The some total of 3 weeks painting is a half finished pre-wash Ultramarine I started when the Space Marine game came out and to add insult to injury I've lost my camera too so here's a crappy cell phone shot with extra grain and darkness.

See you all again in 10 months (unless I quit school) :patriot:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Creepy Goat posted:

Are these part of the Thousand Sons army? I see those Scibor Egyptian Shields on sticks with the scarab that needs its legs filing (:argh: I am not filing all of these shoulderpads dammit).

Yeah, they are for the TS army. I am not sure what needs filing, I have gone over the models again and can't see anything (I am painting them now)

Yep, the arms are from the Puppets War place. Another guy at our club is using the arms on a normal dread and I reckon it looks tops, I would probably shorten the barrels a smidgen though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ohhhhh Nooooooo

Why, Sprue, why :negative:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Uh what is it and what am I missing? Is it the lack of arms?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

richyp posted:

See you all again in 10 months (unless I quit school) :patriot:

Aw hell. I really like the stuff you paint. :saddowns:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Angryboot posted:

Uh what is it and what am I missing? Is it the lack of arms?
Sprue is the dude who is working on that multipart "space marine" that he would sell licenses to reproduce your own copies of(but obviously not for resale) and they look really, really amazing.

That is his female version. It has armor nipples.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Show that to Doctor Thunder and he might just die of the Gush.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Trip report on earlier paint stripping issues:

After acquiring a job, I rewarded myself with a big pile of painting to do in the form of Wrath of Ashardalon. I tested one of the minis with a day in the dettol, and it did it no harm whatsoever, so I tried one of the painted DDM minis. Which survived the dettol perfectly intact, but... so did every ounce of its paint. The black ink wash that it came with washed away, but that's really about it, unfortunately. So, I think I'll just prime over it and hope for the best. I also finished my first mini, finally, basing and so on, but I need to wait for a better day before photographing it.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

thespaceinvader posted:

Trip report on earlier paint stripping issues:

After acquiring a job, I rewarded myself with a big pile of painting to do in the form of Wrath of Ashardalon. I tested one of the minis with a day in the dettol, and it did it no harm whatsoever, so I tried one of the painted DDM minis. Which survived the dettol perfectly intact, but... so did every ounce of its paint. The black ink wash that it came with washed away, but that's really about it, unfortunately. So, I think I'll just prime over it and hope for the best. I also finished my first mini, finally, basing and so on, but I need to wait for a better day before photographing it.

What dettol were you using? I use this stuff and I can see the paint coming away after a few minutes.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Household_Cleaning/Dettol_Antiseptic_Disinfectant_Liquid_500ml.html

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yep, that's the one.

I guess it's not acrylic paint.

E: particularly because I'd smeared some acryllic paint all over it trying to scrub the paint off under hot water as my FLGS owner suggested, to absolutely no avail, and that came off fine.

I have, however, hypothesised that the copper coin glued to the bottom of the mini might have had some impact on the paint stripping, so I pried it off and tried again - this time he'll get 48 hours in the drink, because I'll be out playing board games tomorrow night. Wish him luck.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 21, 2011

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Someone help me save my bases. I wanted something that would look good with the new tomb kings models, styled around egyptian ruins and colours.

I ended up with some poop. I used a wrong colour at some point then repeatedly tried to fix it as I just made it look more and more rubbish. Also getting sane to look like sand is too hard.

I've ended up with the tallus and sand I put on looking like some horrible clump... not ancienty ruiny rubbly at all. I can't believe I can't paint sand.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Big Willy Style posted:

Next on my to do list:

Man I hope you never quit this army, this is some serious dream fulfillment watching you build it up.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Lethemonster posted:

Someone help me save my bases. I wanted something that would look good with the new tomb kings models, styled around egyptian ruins and colours.

I ended up with some poop. I used a wrong colour at some point then repeatedly tried to fix it as I just made it look more and more rubbish. Also getting sane to look like sand is too hard.

I've ended up with the tallus and sand I put on looking like some horrible clump... not ancienty ruiny rubbly at all. I can't believe I can't paint sand.

Wait what's the problem? I think those look like sand.

Maybe just throw a wash like Ogryn Flesh or something on there?

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
Well here is a group shot of the 4th-8th minis I've painted. Still have some issues to work out with getting good lighting so I can show real detail.

For a size reference the tallest figure is slightly shorter than a dime. I think I did okay for early painting, but a lot to work on. Any advice/critiques would be awesome.

Edit Thanks to everyone in here with all the awesome information to help a beginner with reference material, and some incredible painters that I can only dream to be as good as at some point.

Refind Chaos fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 22, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Lethemonster posted:

You're fine dude, just take some white, thin it a bunch, and apply a coat to the parts around the rubble chunks to make the sand a little differentiated. It looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
So I finally finished the kan I started about 6 months ago before I moved house, now I just need to paint the bastard

side by side comparison, I started building this bitch before I got my hands on the new set.. glad the scale is fine

close up! wrecking balllllll

I didn't have magnets so with pins/bars I made the arms removable and they fit nice and snug

• Locked thread