Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I caught a promotional of Fresh Meat that was certainly, unique. Might check it out.

Also, has the cast list been mentioned at all for this new series of Alan Partridge? I'm curious to see if he has driven off Sonya or Michael yet. I hope not personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Oh so we get another series of rubbish ye' olde shite like Downton Abbey and series 6545 of Spooks but niche and emerging tv shows are dealt yet another blow, like this...

quote:

Kerry Katona has been dealt a blow after her ITV show was axed on Tuesday.

The singer was hoping to film another series of her fly-on-the-wall series Kerry Katona: The Next Chapter following her stint in the Celebrity Big Brother house.

But despite the last series pulling in 600,000 viewers, executives have pulled the plug following a reported dispute over contracts.

An ITV spokesperson says, "We have enjoyed working with Kerry on two successful series of The Next Chapter, but we do not have any further episodes planned."

Her spokesman Max Clifford adds, "It is a shame as Kerry wants to be on TV, and after her success on Big Brother people obviously want to see her.

"But with the ITV deal she was caught up in something that was beyond her control."

:ughh: way to shoot yourself in the foot itv. *sigh* At least celebrity juice is ok.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I caught a promotional of Fresh Meat that was certainly, unique. Might check it out.

Just caught that same promotion and seems worth it to tune into the pilot at least. It's coming from the writers of Peep Show which I adore so here's hoping they don't screw up :ohdear:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
But Jack Whitehall is in it!

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Well it's poo poo so far.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Any opinions on The Fades?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

pisshead posted:

Well it's poo poo so far.

I'm feeling old and out of touch with todays youth comedy.

I hope we can move past this "everything has to be awkward moments and microgestures" phase of comedy soon.

please?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Leyburn posted:

But Jack Whitehall is in it!

There was really no need for anyone to watch it because of this.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
You dudes re-appraising Nathan Barley as some modern comedy classic are way off the mark. Sorry if I bobbed in to say this a year ago, but it's true.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

A5H posted:

There was really no need for anyone to watch it because of this.

He's playing a smug posh arsehole though, so it works.

Al2001 posted:

You dudes re-appraising Nathan Barley as some modern comedy classic are way off the mark. Sorry if I bobbed in to say this a year ago, but it's true.

Only in the sense that they should have figured it out the first time they saw it.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I thought Fresh Meat was alright, it definately helps that you're meant to detest Jack Whitehall.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Maybe if the jokes weren't all "Ha, awkward", then I'd like it better. Worth trying next episode though.

And meanwhile Shameless is using one of the plots from Misfits whoop.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Al2001 posted:

I'll back you up. Utter crap.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Squalitude posted:

And meanwhile Shameless is using one of the plots from Misfits whoop.

the US version of shameless or the uk one and which plot (if its not too spoilery)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

LE0N posted:

the US version of shameless or the uk one and which plot (if its not too spoilery)
Judging by the trailer (UK) it's one of the two cult-based ones.

Why Shameless is still on the air I have no idea. God it was so good to begin with.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I liked Nathan Barley

It's worth watching it in conjunction with Chris Morris' Blue Jam Monologues (suicide journalist et al, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VeyN8HnHWs is the first one). Not identical, but coming from the same sort of place, even though Dan and the unnamed narrator are clearly not the same person you can imagine them MEETING some of the same background characters. I guess it also helps if you have some kind of an idea about how Charlie Brooker writes/thinks too. I know it's a bit much to have a recommended reading list before you can enjoy a series, but it really DOES make you watch it a bit differently; I was ambivalent about Nathan Barley my first time through, now I love it. It's a pretty acquired taste though, and not very accessible, though I hear that if you've ever been involved in the London media/poseur scene you'll see a lot of truth in it.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
The problem with Fresh Meat is that it tries to be Peep Show, except that instead of acute observations that were funny in themselves, it tries to force 'crude' jokes that aren't even funny, and the characters come across as comedians trying to be funny, rather than characters that are actually funny.

Seems that the Peep Show writers just can't deliver the goods without good comedy actors like Mitchell and Webb. The least funny one from the Inbetweeners and that toff with the good agent who's on every single standup show just don't cut it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

pisshead posted:

that toff with the good dad agent

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

pisshead posted:

The problem with Fresh Meat is that it tries to be Peep Show, except that instead of acute observations that were funny in themselves, it tries to force 'crude' jokes that aren't even funny, and the characters come across as comedians trying to be funny, rather than characters that are actually funny.

I thought it was basically Inbetweeners: the College Years. I had to wonder if a lot of it was ad-libbed too (and not in a good way), because there was a lot of silences where the actors just didn't seem to know what to do or say.

quote:

Seems that the Peep Show writers just can't deliver the goods without good comedy actors like Mitchell and Webb. The least funny one from the Inbetweeners and that toff with the good agent who's on every single standup show just don't cut it.

I don't know if you watched the trailer for the next episode, but seems that Webb is in the next one. Playing a lecturer. You know, the role of an oldster. We're all old now.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I thought The Fades has potential, certaintly worth watching next week. Anyone else get a Silent Hill vibe from some of the earlier scenes?

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
So what's the actual deal with Whitehouse's Dad? I've seen him being alluded to a few times.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

I thought The Fades has potential, certaintly worth watching next week. Anyone else get a Silent Hill vibe from some of the earlier scenes?

Really enjoyed it. Reminded me more of Metro 2033, but I can definitely see a Silent Hill vibe there. I also find it really shameful that the same institution that comissioned The Fades also saw fit to comission The Body Farm. Production staff for that need a good hand slapping.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The title sequence needs a bit of work, some of it looks a bit rubbery. There was a couple of moments that made me cringe, pretty much everything involving that guy's eyeball.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Nathan Barley is hilarious

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

The title sequence needs a bit of work, some of it looks a bit rubbery. There was a couple of moments that made me cringe, pretty much everything involving that guy's eyeball.

The eyeball scraping scene was one of the most cringe worthy pieces of TV I have seen, truly uncomfortable TV. Very impressed by the Fades, especially given its BBC3 so it wont have a massive budget.

The only downer was the slightly annoying side kick to the young guy, but maybe a lot of that this episode might be scene / story setting.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The guy who plays Mac/Tealeaf is shaping up to be one of my favourite comedy actors. He always sounds so sincere even when he's being ridiculous. I hope he can pull off the more serious scenes as well.

Was the second episode of The Body Farm any better than the first? Waking the Dead could be pretty morbid at times, but The Body Farm is just relentlessly nihilistic. It makes you concerned about the mental stability of the people writing it.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Was there no Shooting Stars this week? It hasn't finished already, has it?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Akuma posted:

Judging by the trailer (UK) it's one of the two cult-based ones.

Why Shameless is still on the air I have no idea. God it was so good to begin with.

I finally got around to watching the first 2 series on Dave and they were brilliant. It was grounded and down to earth, which is where the current (and presumably last few series) have gone wrong.

It's basically gone all Hollyoaks. It's more than jumped the shark into some sort of surreal alternate Manchester where goofy poo poo happens daily at a near pantomime level. The drat thing is almost a cartoon at this point.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Fatkraken posted:

It's a pretty acquired taste though, and not very accessible, though I hear that if you've ever been involved in the London media/poseur scene you'll see a lot of truth in it.

Not very accessible? I thought the humour was broad as hell (LOL HIPSTERS!), with only a few moments where it was more subtle (like I seem to remember Dan going for an interview, thinking it was nailed-on then failing miserably, which was fairly well done). I think I just expected better from Morris and Brooker than some obvious lampooning of idiots that only a tiny percentage of the population would deal with on a day-to-day basis. Obviously, that London media scene is Brooker and Morris's world, so to them it probably seemed like a great idea, and maybe it could have been, but I was just left thinking: "What point are you trying to make?" and "Couldn't it have been funnier?".

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Wormophile posted:

So what's the actual deal with Whitehouse's Dad? I've seen him being alluded to a few times.

He's a bigshot agent for some big people. Also his son's a oval office.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

And they're both going to be playing the Million Pound Drop this weekend for charity!

(Sorry)

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The guy who plays Mac/Tealeaf is shaping up to be one of my favourite comedy actors. He always sounds so sincere even when he's being ridiculous. I hope he can pull off the more serious scenes as well.

Was the second episode of The Body Farm any better than the first? Waking the Dead could be pretty morbid at times, but The Body Farm is just relentlessly nihilistic. It makes you concerned about the mental stability of the people writing it.

Second episode was much worse in my opinion. The acting got a little better, but the writers still haven't got the hang of "show not tell" and it's full of weird ham-handed moralising. If you unironically enjoy Richard Curtis stuff you will maybe find it tolerable. They still keep loving around with their mobile phones, so if that annoyed you in the first episode you're out of luck since it seems to be a 'theme'.

Also if anyone's not caught it the new storyville about a travelling Chinese judge has just ended so watch them while you can. Pretty interesting, but don't start with the last episode if you haven't seen the other two as it's pretty depressing.

Edit: Until you pointed it out I had no idea it was actually related to Waking the Dead. The characterisation in this is so much poorer and while I realise Waking the Dead wasn't hardline realism crime drama, the messing around with phones and headsets, bug cam and the CSI style scientist turned sassy justice bringer really make it kind of crime fantasy. I had just assumed it was psuedo-crime psuedo-horror thing sort of like Torchwood with cadavers.

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 22, 2011

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

Z-Magic posted:

He was a major influence on the character of 'Pop' from LoG. On the commentary the cast mention they got the idea of him slapping his own face really hard from Manning as he used to do it on stage to get rid of the sweat dripping down his face. Plus you're forgetting the time we mixed his DNA with that of a tomato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r6WRAK_q8s

Monkey dust was brilliant, and every few months I go and trawl through the various sketches up on YouTube. Don't think they made the whole thing available on DVD either, which is a shame.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Al2001 posted:

Not very accessible? I thought the humour was broad as hell (LOL HIPSTERS!), with only a few moments where it was more subtle (like I seem to remember Dan going for an interview, thinking it was nailed-on then failing miserably, which was fairly well done). I think I just expected better from Morris and Brooker than some obvious lampooning of idiots that only a tiny percentage of the population would deal with on a day-to-day basis. Obviously, that London media scene is Brooker and Morris's world, so to them it probably seemed like a great idea, and maybe it could have been, but I was just left thinking: "What point are you trying to make?" and "Couldn't it have been funnier?".

Jonatton Yeah? sums it up pretty well.

http://youtu.be/zKkXMesclz8

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
Chiming in to say I watched Fades over Fresh Meat and was very impressed. It did make me feel a bit old (I'm only 21, goddamnit) watching the kid awkwardly try and talk to the girl on the bench, but I did think the whole exchange was hilarious so it's all good.
I also rather liked the sidekick character, thought he was pretty funny. Looks like it's got a lot of potential :).

What's the gooncensus on Fresh Meat? Worth watching? Or being a second year student am i going to have to watch it cos everyone else will?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

keep punching joe posted:

Jonatton Yeah? sums it up pretty well.

http://youtu.be/zKkXMesclz8

Although I hated the rest of it, Jonatton Yeah was brilliant and the bit where he was rapping during sex.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Kin posted:

It's basically gone all Hollyoaks. It's more than jumped the shark into some sort of surreal alternate Manchester where goofy poo poo happens daily at a near pantomime level. The drat thing is almost a cartoon at this point.

For a while Shameless was in a cheery little groove, where it no longer had the strikingly brave and honest writing of the first two series, but it was a perfectly enjoyable show where stuff happened that was amusing enough and made sense within the universe of the show and occasionally a pretty lady would get her norks out or there'd be some relatively okay slapstick comedy. The last series and a bit, however, is utterly dire, with things just happening entirely devoid of logic, reason or consequence and plot threads being picked up and dropped entirely at random. Muslim ninjas show up with great fanfare and then do nothing but sweep the floor, black men join the National Front for no apparent reason, characters appear and disappear for better shows with no explanation, cold hearted manipulators become suicidal in the time it takes to finish a sentence and characters swing wildly between personalities. I don't mind a show being a cartoon, but at least make it a cartoon that makes a lick of sense.

Al2001 posted:

Not very accessible? I thought the humour was broad as hell (LOL HIPSTERS!)

It's worth pointing out that Nathan Barley came out six years ago - hipsters weren't really A Thing outside London yet. Watching it again today it's a bit less mystifyingly pish, but it's still not very good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kraxis posted:

What's the gooncensus on Fresh Meat? Worth watching? Or being a second year student am i going to have to watch it cos everyone else will?

The Inbetweeners at university but without the heart. Everyone's terrible except for Simon from (guess what?) the Inbetweeners. Insert obligatory Jack Whitehall insult here.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I thought Jack Whitehall was good because he was acting exactly how I think he is in real life, a priveliged buffoonish twat. I think he and the Scottish guy have legs as characters and I appreciated that they attempted to give the female characters personalities and motivations.

But it's just so tepid. It doesn't ring as true or bite as hard as the Inbetweeners did. It's immediately set up the main character will they/won't they storyline. And it lasts an hour which is way too long for this kind of show.

It's perfectly watchable but keep your expectations low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Rarity posted:

The Inbetweeners at university but without the heart. Everyone's terrible except for Simon from (guess what?) the Inbetweeners. Insert obligatory Jack Whitehall insult here.

It reminded me of the first 5 minutes of university (before we cracked out the crates of Tennents and got cunted) stretched out to a full episode.

I expect a continuation of this annoying, half hearted, awkward style to carry on for the whole series.

Strangely, the group also reminds me of individual people I knew in first year. All of whom I avoided because they were loving irritating.