Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
Swizzle looks like some Irish wolfhound (because she looks enormous), but that's not a very common breed so I'm not sure how that would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

Sutureself posted:

Swizzle looks like some Irish wolfhound (because she looks enormous), but that's not a very common breed so I'm not sure how that would happen.
I'd think that, but she's much leaner and a tad shorter than a regular wolfhound, since she's about the same height as our standard black poodle. I suppose an Irish Wolfhound mix would make sense, but that doesn't appear to be very common to my knowledge.

beekeepersdaughter
Jan 9, 2010
I'm a little curious about what my dog is- we know he's half black Lab (his mother was purebred) and we've been told, by vets and passersby, that the other half must be Great Dane. He's 140 pounds and comes up to about my elbow when he's standing (I'm 5'6").

Here he is getting a bath. He's super patient and loves the attention.

And this is him and my little brother when they were both quite young. Hank was, I think, two years old in this picture. He's 9 now.

If anyone has any insight as to Hank's heritage, we would really appreciate it. Everyone's dogs in this thread are beautiful, and I've really enjoyed every photo! :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Looks just like a bigol'lab to me. :) Labs have a big size range, and this isn't the first time on here I've heard of them being that large.

beekeepersdaughter
Jan 9, 2010

Kerfuffle posted:

Looks just like a bigol'lab to me. :) Labs have a big size range, and this isn't the first time on here I've heard of them being that large.

He's definitely got a lab disposition. Impossibly destructive (and huge) as a baby, sweet and chill now. Best dog ever. He's just the biggest lab that we've ever seen. Our vet keeps telling us that this is the first time he's ever seen the result of a lab mating with a horse.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Bloomington posted:

I'd think that, but she's much leaner and a tad shorter than a regular wolfhound, since she's about the same height as our standard black poodle. I suppose an Irish Wolfhound mix would make sense, but that doesn't appear to be very common to my knowledge.

She could be a deerhound mix in that case. Or it could be something weird like giant schnauzer x lab.

gourami
Jan 2, 2007

Terrorizing Winters for centuries.
Here's my muttley, Balu, whom I adopted from a rescue group a few months ago. He's 8 months old and weighs about 13 pounds. Good little apartment dog. Very timid, yet overreacts to everything.

He's obviously got some chihuahua in him, and his body's a little long so I suspect some dachshund. What do you guys think?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Looks just like a Jack Russell Terrier mix to me. Some JRTs have long backs -- I would doubt there's any Doxie in there.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Mom sent me another picture of the puppy that was dumped on her. Be really interesting to see how he looks as he gets older.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Is he full grown? Because he doesn't look big enough to be newfie. I'm seeing lab and spaniel, maybe? I love those ears. He looks like a sweetie :3:

He is fully grown.

We only think newfie because we got him from a newfie rescue, they were pleasantly surprised when he turned out to be a tiny dog.

He is perma puppy and full grown. Will always have a huge head and feet.

TheClarkster
Oct 23, 2008

Bloomington posted:

Aww, this picture of Swizzle reminds me of my Toki.

He is some strange sort of bearded mutt. Rescued him from the pound about a year ago. They said he was around 3 years old when I got home. The vet said more like 10 months to 1 year old.

He is an interesting dog but I love him. :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

gourami posted:

Here's my muttley, Balu, whom I adopted from a rescue group a few months ago. He's 8 months old and weighs about 13 pounds. Good little apartment dog. Very timid, yet overreacts to everything.

He's obviously got some chihuahua in him, and his body's a little long so I suspect some dachshund. What do you guys think?

What you've got there is definitely a JRT mix or BYB/milled JRT. He looks very similiar to my girl :3:

And yeah welcome to the wonderful world of sensitive, reactive, nervy terrier fun.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
This is my mutt. Copper. He's part Great Dane and then ... no clue. I was thinking maybe a bit of boxer and hound, but his previous owners didn't know, so I'm just guessing.

He's my buddy though now. He can put his paws on my shoulder and I'm 6'2".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Skizzles posted:

Mom sent me another picture of the puppy that was dumped on her. Be really interesting to see how he looks as he gets older.

Mom took her (turns out it's not a boy, way to go, mom) to the vet and the vet says beagle mix, and that she would get up to about 15 lbs. :/ Mom insists that there's some border collie in there... yeah, I doubt it. Who the gently caress knows. She's not gonna keep her anyway.

gourami
Jan 2, 2007

Terrorizing Winters for centuries.
I never considered Jack Russell Terrier, but after looking at pictures of other JRT mixes, yeah, that totally fits. No doxie though? Then why does he suck at learning tricks? (answer: it's me)

Edit: Funnily enough, his rescue group advertised him as a "dachshund/bull terrier mix".

Skizzles posted:

Major cuteness

Mutts are the best!

gourami fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 27, 2011

rawrtards
Jan 13, 2010

Bloomington posted:

I think you have the long version of my dog!

He's some kind of terrier mutt, I wish I knew what, I want like a million of him. He is named Beans.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Looks like he may be a norfolk terrier mix. Maybe even some cairn or norwich terrier in there somewhere too.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

rawrtards posted:

I think you have the long version of my dog!

He's some kind of terrier mutt, I wish I knew what, I want like a million of him. He is named Beans.
That is the :3: est thing.

My mother asked at the humane society she got Swizzle from and they apparently a Bouvier/Black Lab cross, that sort of makes sense.

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Bloomington posted:

That is the :3: est thing.

My mother asked at the humane society she got Swizzle from and they apparently a Bouvier/Black Lab cross, that sort of makes sense.

Bouvier?black lab? Huh. The brindling is pretty strong, and you said she's lean and not too tall--labs and Bouviers are pretty solid dogs.

Swizzle (and Beans and Toki too) are squeeeeing adorable dogs--I have a huge soft spot for the scruffies. But while Swizzle does have a really wolfhoundy face, maybe boxer/sheepdog with schnauzer or even poodle is more likely. That being said, there are wolfhound "oopsies" every now and then. Sounds like you hit the jackpot--wolfhound looks in a manageable size!

More scruffy photos for science, please. Maybe a "dogs with beards thread?"

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Here's Leevi, our 6 month old wolf dog hybrid.

He's a fun dog, loyal if a bit stubborn. Also he seems to have a lot of stuff to tell us, and he communications with all kinds of sounds. Though I think Ive only heard him bark once.

He's really sweet and open to people. And dont worry, he's a low content mix, only 30% or lower percentage of wolf, his parents were hybrids aswell. Other breeds in him are GSD, white GSD and Husky and Malamute.

Also a question, while he is obedient and does listen to what I tell him, could you people who've had similarly stubborn dogs like Akitas and such give any advice to training him?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

punakone posted:

Also a question, while he is obedient and does listen to what I tell him, could you people who've had similarly stubborn dogs like Akitas and such give any advice to training him?

Yeah, was going to say he looks low-content if anything.

The trick to training primitive dogs is convincing them that they want to do what you want to do. Positive punishment (scolding, leash popping, etc) has little to no effect and can easily end up poisoning your relationship. It's all about adding value to the behaviours you find desirable and calmly stopping reinforcement to ones you do not. Train in small bursts and make everything from sitting on cue to recalling a great bit happy game with awesome rewards.

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT
I posted Stella when she was a baby. Now that she is fully grown we are again at a loss as to what's going on in there.

She's got the build and markings of the German Shorthaired Pointers at the dog parks, but I have never seen another one with that color. She has the jaw strength of a pitty but I don't see any of that in her. She is tall, on her back legs she is nearly as tall as me and I am 5'8" She is about 75-80 pounds now and I hope to hell she is done growing!

Best shot I could get of her derpy face

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

She's so pretty :3: I think her coloration would be "blue roan" or basically white with a ton of black ticking.

I'd guess GSP mix too. GSPs are all liver (according to AKC standard) which is why she isn't the same color as them. Liver is recessive to black so if one of her parents was a liver GSP and the other was something black you would end up with a dog like Stella, as long as the other parent also carried white so the ticking could be expressed. The ticking is dominant so only one parent needed to be spotty. Another breed with heavy ticking on a piebald dog like that is ACDs but she doesn't look very cattle dog-ish to me.

I think the color genetics of white spotty mutts is really interesting, she reminds me of my frecklemutt but with more freckles/patches (his ear just got flipped, not cropped).

The Stewart
Jun 22, 2004
and how
This is stormy! Got her from the shelter as a puppy a couple years ago.

The shelter said she was a boxer mix but I think she has pibble in her. She weighs about 52-54lbs and is very strong for a mid-size dog.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Looks like a pibble face and a boxer nose. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I got one of those wisdom panel dog DNA tests from a relative and while I'm waiting for the comical results to return maybe people can take a stab at what dog conglomeration ended up with Major.

He was found wandering in a field in a very rural Ohio county. He is super sensitive, crazy about birds, loves tracking down and killing small mammals, remembers every location he has ever found anything exciting, and is terrified of guns. He is a total mush and clown to the people he loves but has gotten territorial (may just be his anxiety disorder) and has always been somewhat reactive towards other large dogs. He like to put his paws on everything and is a big pouncer. Is definitely more of a do-er than a thinker.

His tail appears to have been docked rather than being a natural bob. His coat is thick but smooth like a lab but with slight feathering on his butt/tail/belly. If he wasn't extreme white with ticking he would be red sable/fawn with a black mask. He is 28" at the shoulder and about 85 lbs.

At the various pounds he went through he was a lab/spaniel mix, a great pyr mix, and a english setter/rottie mix.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Supernatural dogs in Celtic myths are usually completely black, or white with red ears.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Welp, that solves that, Major is a supernatural Celtic hound. :iamafag:

I can see how someone might call him a rottie mix. He has a rottie stature/shape, to me, anyway. I'd say rottie/pointer, or something. Maybe rottie/pointer/lab. I am interested in the results. :allears:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

He is obviously a BYB Cŵn Annwfn. Always get your spectral hunting dogs from a breeder who does proper health testing!

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Major is 100% awesome and that's all there is to it! Seriously though I see the Rottie, he has the same shape apart from that I really don't know. Also I love his butt feathers.

Now that Rosie has lost a little weight she actually has some visable butt feathering too, it was hiding in her chub! She also has feathering on that web of skin between leg and body.

I'm more and more convinced that Rosie is Border Collie/Staffy or BC/Pit.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

SuperTwo posted:

Now that Rosie has lost a little weight she actually has some visable butt feathering too, it was hiding in her chub! She also has feathering on that web of skin between leg and body.

Butt feathers are awesome :allears:

From some angles she looks kind of JRT-ish but I could believe BC/Pibble. So cute! I love her pretty purple collar.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

SuperTwo posted:

Major is 100% awesome and that's all there is to it! Seriously though I see the Rottie, he has the same shape apart from that I really don't know. Also I love his butt feathers.

She looks pretty similar to those 'borderjack' sporty dawgs. From those angles, I can't even really see any bully (staffie or pibble) in there.

light_urple
Sep 26, 2002

Meow!

Speaking of possible Border/Pits, we adopted Daisy a little under 2 months ago. Her shelter paperwork said "MIXED", but I've heard terrier, bc, lab, and shepherd as possible parts of the mix. Whatever she is, she's silly.

Oh, Daisy!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
New adopted puppy, Faye! She was listed as a Beagle/Hound mix. Obviously beagle, I think most people can see that. But what is the other ambiguous "Hound" part? No one has any idea!*

*I think it's greyhound. Please validate me and tell me she has sighthound in her. I want to do lure coursing so bad.

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

moechae posted:

New adopted puppy, Faye! She was listed as a Beagle/Hound mix. Obviously beagle, I think most people can see that. But what is the other ambiguous "Hound" part? No one has any idea!*

*I think it's greyhound. Please validate me and tell me she has sighthound in her. I want to do lure coursing so bad.

Well, it's more likely coonhound than Grey, but if you want to say Saluki/Beagle, go for it: I think you could totally get away with it! And lots of coursing clubs have fun days for non-sighthounds, so you can still chase bags with her. (She's gorgeous, did I mention?)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

moechae posted:

Hmmmm, you appear to have somehow gone back in time and adopted my sister-in-law's dog!

She went through an impressive mask-fading and snoot en-longening in her first year!

FWIW, their mother was some kind of hound/border collie farm dog mix. And there's no reason why you can't do lure coursing with Faye if she has the drive but isn't part sighthound :)

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
She looks like a beagle/Labrador to me, it's a really common mix and I've seen some that looked a lot like yours. Maybe a coonhound/Labrador if she came from the southern US or like, rural Maine (The South of New England), but you don't really see coonhounds much outside of the sticks, and her ears are short for a coondog.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat

TVs Ian posted:

Hmmmm, you appear to have somehow gone back in time and adopted my sister-in-law's dog!

She went through an impressive mask-fading and snoot en-longening in her first year!

FWIW, their mother was some kind of hound/border collie farm dog mix. And there's no reason why you can't do lure coursing with Faye if she has the drive but isn't part sighthound :)

Holy loving poo poo, she looks EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY like my dog. Even the markings are exactly the same. The vertical white stripe down the chest, the two brown "wing" markings on either side of the stripe, the brown legs, the white dipped back toes. Even the gradient on the side of the mouth from brown to white is the same. I assume that somewhere out there a farmer is just breeding tons of these hound/collie mixes. We live in CO, so we have tons of farmers/hunters/ranchers. How big did she end up getting? Right now at around 6 months, Faye's about two inches taller than Ike our beagle and only 21 lbs. (She's all stilt legs and paws, which was one reason I thought sighthound, she's not stocky at all like scenthounds are. She also runs like a deer.)

I was just interested in what else she might be, because she can't be full scenthound. She is super affectionate, never has her nose to the ground, barely barks, she's super smart, super obedient (sounds like collie), and I guess the one big hound trait is that she LOVES FOOD, otherwise she's not much of a hound dog at all.

That's just so crazy that someone out there has a dog that looks just like mine. That's so awesome. Is she a good dog? I bet she is. :3:

After what demozthenes said, I'm betting probably beagle/lab/collie or something like that. We actually do get a fair amount coonhounds and foxhounds out here, but she really doesn't seem big enough to be a coon/foxhound mix. Probably beagle.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I thought coonhound/foxhound when I first saw her too. If she's still a puppy then she may very well get bigger than you expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Skizzles posted:

I thought coonhound/foxhound when I first saw her too. If she's still a puppy then she may very well get bigger than you expected.

Looks like she's got some big ole paws :3: