Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Not to sound mean, you do realize that it takes a while to get a job in the industry right? It takes way more than one week.

Hell, you know how long it took for them to hire me at Sony QA even though they said now hiring? 3 months. Don't get discouraged. The process of getting hiring in a game industry takes a while.

Yeah, you guys are probably right. Last time I worked in QA was 2007, so things have probably changed quite a bit since then. Sorry, I've just been panicking about this, I guess because I really need a job, and this is the closest I've gotten in a while.

So I'll keep an eye on my email, and keep trying other places. I think EA is hiring testers again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Give it time man. The job I have now took 3 months from the time I got the first email reply until my start day. And a couple months after I started I heard back from a different studio wondering if I was still interested in moving forward with them. I applied there before I even applied to the place I eventually got hired. These things can go very slowly.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
You also have to remember that many of these places are run by people without the first clue about project or time management.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

CrowdStar offered me the job out of the blue. I'd been applying to their StarFund (game investment fund) and the CEO called me on a Friday to ask if I wanted a full time job. I said sure, and he asked if I could move up from San Diego and start by Monday.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Bash Ironfist posted:

Gonna try maybe EA, see if I can get a job there. V:shobon:V

Are you just applying to one place at a time?

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
I'm sure as hell not, though I hope those places don't take it as some kind of sleight (if they ever find out).

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

M4rk posted:

I'm sure as hell not, though I hope those places don't take it as some kind of sleight (if they ever find out).

no one will give a gently caress, it will literally not register on their radar.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

No, I'm applying to more then one place at a time.

edit: And you guys are right, I'm just giving it time, applying to other places until I hear something.

Comrade Flynn posted:

CrowdStar offered me the job out of the blue. I'd been applying to their StarFund (game investment fund) and the CEO called me on a Friday to ask if I wanted a full time job. I said sure, and he asked if I could move up from San Diego and start by Monday.

poo poo, I'd move up there if I could get a job as a Test lead, or Project lead or something. I have 2+ years experience in QA. I'd like to have more responsibility.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 21, 2011

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
Snip

Snooty fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 17, 2018

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Hughlander posted:

After all of these resume reviews, I feel it's fitting to have a job website review instead.

crowdstar posted:

We dress up in funky outfits on Fridays. Interested?
Christ, no.

Also I'd be really wary of a company that boasts about how they spend all that cash sending all their employees & partners on lovely foreign holidays. But maybe that's just me.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Bash Ironfist posted:

Yeah, you guys are probably right. Last time I worked in QA was 2007, so things have probably changed quite a bit since then. Sorry, I've just been panicking about this, I guess because I really need a job, and this is the closest I've gotten in a while.

So I'll keep an eye on my email, and keep trying other places. I think EA is hiring testers again.

When I was in QA it took me 8 months to get a job after Sega laid off the entire testing house.

After finishing CMing on APB it took me 9 months to get my current job.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Sigma-X posted:

no one will give a gently caress, it will literally not register on their radar.

Unless you make the mistake of sending someone a resume with another company's name on it. Then they'll laugh at you, forward it to the person at that company, they'll both laugh at you, and depending on their mood you might get blacklisted for a few months.

Send applications to all the companies you want, but make sure you're tailoring them to each specific company, not just a generic "I wanna work in the game industry" one.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FreakyZoid posted:

Also I'd be really wary of a company that boasts about how they spend all that cash sending all their employees & partners on lovely foreign holidays. But maybe that's just me.
Why? What do you think about making vacations integral to the hiring process.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Because I'd prefer to just be given the money (to go on holiday with my family, if I wish, or spend on whatever else I please). I spend plenty of time with workmates, I very much doubt I want to holiday with them all as well.

edit: also this applies to stuff like gym membership too. Give me the cash as lovely bonuses or just by increasing my base wage. If I want to spend it joining a gym then yay for me.

btw, to whoever it was earlier in the thread, the 2nd part of Photonstorm's Flixel tutorial is on their site now: http://www.photonstorm.com/archives/2264/flash-game-dev-tip-13-building-a-retro-platform-game-in-flixel-part-2

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FreakyZoid posted:

I spend plenty of time with workmates, I very much doubt I want to holiday with them all as well.
Oh, you're talking about retreats. Retreats are generally a waste of money because nothing usually comes out of the meetings, but nobody wants to lose an all-expense-paid trip to Cabo, so the budget is protected.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

FreakyZoid posted:

Christ, no.

It's all optional. The company does extremely well, so in turn they want to treat the employees very well.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Black Eagle posted:

Oh, you're talking about retreats. Retreats are generally a waste of money because nothing usually comes out of the meetings, but nobody wants to lose an all-expense-paid trip to Cabo, so the budget is protected.
If it works for the Penny Arcade folks, it'll work for me.

God I wish they'd hire an in-house PR guy. I met their hired representative, and he's a great fellow, but having someone in-house to handle Dickwolves-sized messes before they get out of hand would probably benefit them in the long run. Plus they need more exposure, and PR can help them get that. I can help with that.

Anyone wanna start listing their dream jobs? Other than "get paid to do nothing."

M4rk fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 22, 2011

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

M4rk posted:

If it works for the Penny Arcade folks, it'll work for me.

God I wish they'd hire an in-house PR guy. I met their hired representative, and he's a great fellow, but having someone in-house to handle Dickwolves-sized messes before they get out of hand would probably benefit them in the long run. Plus they need more exposure, and PR can help they get that. I can help with that.

Anyone wanna start listing their dream jobs? Other than "get paid to do nothing."

Easy. Valve. Who, incidentally, take all their employees and their families on vacation every year. This isn't the reason they're my dream job, but it sure doesn't hurt.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I'd love to do level design or something in the design field for Double Fine

or Valve so i can use my fine hat collection

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Videogame Enivormental Artist is my dream job.. working for? Any big wig companies really, I"m not keen on one..

Okay that is a lie. Pretty much Valve.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I want to work for Bethesda but they have to move to me, I'm not moving to them. :colbert:
Same deal with Bioware.

Incidentally Valve actually is in my area. I'm sure I'd enjoy working there but it seems like it might be a bit chaotic and the career growth would be non-existent.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
InTernship with InXile woop woop :woop:

Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Choplifter HD before today, but I'm really jazzed about bringing such a classic back to life. It's a lot of fun so far, too, which is rare of games being QAed.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Everyone wants to work for Valve. Saying you want to work for Valve is like saying that cereal is a common breakfast food.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Everyone wants to work for Valve. Saying you want to work for Valve is like saying that cereal is a common breakfast food.

Not everyone. :colbert: I certainly would not want to work for va-who am I kidding? I'd punch a dog square in the face to work for valve. Not one of those ugly dogs either, like a pug. A golden retriever or something.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Bash Ironfist posted:

Not everyone. :colbert: I certainly would not want to work for va-who am I kidding? I'd punch a dog square in the face to work for valve. Not one of those ugly dogs either, like a pug. A golden retriever or something.

I was repulsed at first, then I thought about it. I've made a rather depressing realization about myself today.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
I'd only work at Valve if it was on a game I actually cared about.

When they announce HL2:Ep3 (or HL3 or whatever), I'll begin caring again.

I'd rather work for Epic or even Crytek. They consistently make games I care about. Unreal Tournament or FarCry/Crysis, etc.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

DancingMachine posted:

I want to work for Bethesda but they have to move to me, I'm not moving to them. :colbert:
Same deal with Bioware.

Incidentally Valve actually is in my area. I'm sure I'd enjoy working there but it seems like it might be a bit chaotic and the career growth would be non-existent.

sup seattle buddy :downs:

From everything that I read, the reason that career growth is non-existent is because of the (actually functional) cabal system and the fact that, with a handful of exceptions, people who join Valve don't leave.

Valve's my brass ring as well, but I'm more or less certain that I'll never stand a shot if all I bring to the table is writing. Hence the ambition to learn to code. Even if you're the very best at what you do, nobody at Valve does one thing.

Otherwise: Narrative design at Irrational or Bungie.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

M4rk posted:

I'd only work at Valve if it was on a game I actually cared about.

When they announce HL2:Ep3 (or HL3 or whatever), I'll begin caring again.

I'd rather work for Epic or even Crytek. They consistently make games I care about. Unreal Tournament or FarCry/Crysis, etc.

You can forget Crytek. The next cm job they have is mine. :colbert:

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
My understanding is that Epic is pretty awful in terms of work-life balance. Great place for single early-twenty-somethings who want their life to be pretty much 100% about making video games, probably not so great for the rest of us.
But that is 3rd-hand information so take it with a grain of salt.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

Bash Ironfist posted:

Where are you looking to get hired? I work QA for EA.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

M4rk posted:

Why work for someone else when you can start and build your own billion-dollar game company? I was actually offered an opportunity to do just that with a major player, but I can't say who or anything more. The idea's also tabled until we both have more time. I always get diamonds I can't touch when I'm completely invested in something else...

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I come up against people saying that quite a bit actually, why work for someone else when you can start your own company. I honestly have no interest in running a company and all the stress and work that goes along with that.

I'm an artist, I will be happiest just to art for the rest of my life in one capacity or another.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 22, 2011

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

M4rk posted:

Ip development or systems design.

That or conceptual modeller (Yay for being an artist who can't draw because of their stupid hands but can sculpt and build.)

I think I'm in the wrong business.

Black Eagle posted:

Why work for someone else when you can start and build your own billion-dollar game company? I was actually offered an opportunity to do just that with a major player, but I can't say who or anything more. The idea's also tabled until we both have more time. I always get diamonds I can't touch when I'm completely invested in something else...

I hate to burst your bubble but Derek Smart sent that email to everyone with an active aol account. :(

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 22, 2011

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

M4rk posted:

I want to work at a company like Treasure where if you want to design a game you had better want to code for that game as well. I'd also like to have a bit of freedom to work on stuff more like 90s console titles and get money for it.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I hate to burst your bubble but Derek Smart sent that email to everyone with an active aol account. :(
Who?

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 22, 2011

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Oh, no one. :allears:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
quote="Black Eagle"]
[/quote]

This. It may be a personality thing, but it'd be hard for me to have a "dream job" where I'm not in management, or an equity stakeholder in the success of the company. Without that, I'm still just some schlub getting paid at the leisure of the people above me. Plus, my personality lends itself more towards leading people and helping subordinates do their jobs as productively as possible, rather than taking orders of which I don't get to have input.

Getting Derek Smart to threaten to sue me was the crowning achievement of my life before I bought a cat.

Black Eagle posted:

Who?

Nobody important.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

DancingMachine posted:

My understanding is that Epic is pretty awful in terms of work-life balance. Great place for single early-twenty-somethings who want their life to be pretty much 100% about making video games, probably not so great for the rest of us.
But that is 3rd-hand information so take it with a grain of salt.

They work 10-12 hour days by default as far as I know. Their reasoning was just they naturally do this.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oh, no one. :allears:
You won't see this in my book, but when I was on the phone with Lorne Lanning, we chatted about movies based on video games because Oddworld was trying to get a feature film done at some point. I asked him for his thoughts about Uwe Boll's work. He basically replied, "Who?" Here's that part of the 60-page transcript. Outtakes!

quote:

Ramsay: My question was related more to the fact that game companies are pushing toward games as broader entertainment properties. They're getting interested in making movies around games.

Lanning: Yeah. That's eventually going to happen. You know, historically, there's been a few attempts at that. Chris Roberts' Wing Commander. Squaresoft's Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. They thought they could do it, too, and they did horrible jobs. You know, just terrible jobs because they didn't understand the film audience. They understood the game audience, but because they made good-looking cinematics for games, they thought they understood the film audience. Well, they couldn't have been more wrong.

Ramsay: I think The Spirits Within did pretty well?

Lanning: No. The movie sunk Square Hawaii. The movie cost a fortune. They fumbled away the dollars and the movie did horribly. Financially, it screwed the pooch.

Ramsay: How about all the Uwe Boll movies?

Lanning: Which ones?

Ramsay: The ones that were directed by Uwe Boll!

Lanning: Which ones are those?

Ramsay: Pretty much all the bad ones -- like the Dungeon Siege movie.

Lanning: Oh, yeah, I don't know. I mean they're so beneath the radar of something that I would even care about, right. I know they're out there, but you can see it happening before the movie comes out. You can see the licensing deal that gets made, you can see the package of who's going to direct and who's going to produce. You can pretty much predict what the quality is going to be. You know it's being set up to be just not very memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Black Eagle posted:

This.

I'll be in Seattle in a few years, and I mean, Valve sure sounds like a cool place to work, but... contrasted against the prospect of becoming one of the next (Jon Carmack / Will Wright / John Romero / Richard Garriot / CliffyB / Etc) studio-founding king makers? Come on, if you're going to dream, you might as well dream big.

Valve is, by comparison, just a really cool place to work, that I'm pretty sure many of us would have a fair shot at someday. It just takes confidence and competence. It would be awesome, but it's not really the one true dream for me or anything.

EDIT: And Uwe Boll's entire career was justified the second he made Postal 2, drat it. Awesome movie :colbert:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 22, 2011