Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

-Inu- posted:

I think they're loving idiotic in all situations except for ones where the rider physically cannot ride a 2 wheeled vehicle. They're very expensive, handle terribly, are very hard to work on, etc. You're basically throwing away every benefit of riding a motorcycle in the first place. May as well just buy a convertible for the price (spyders are about $30000 MSRP fyi).

More like 16k base. You also assume that everybody that buys a trike wants to simulate a motorcycle experience instead of just drive something other than a car. You have pretty strong opinions on trikes I see, it's really kind of funny how much people hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

-Inu- posted:

I think they're loving idiotic in all situations except for ones where the rider physically cannot ride a 2 wheeled vehicle. They're very expensive, handle terribly, are very hard to work on, etc. You're basically throwing away every benefit of riding a motorcycle in the first place. May as well just buy a convertible for the price (spyders are about $30000 MSRP fyi).

$16k-28k

e: gently caress, new page

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Time to roll out this video again.

karms fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 21, 2011

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Vegetable Oil powered Motorcycle sets land speed record for it's class... at 56mph

quote:

John converted a junked motorcycle to run on pure veggie oil, and went on to set the land speed record for a bike in this class...

"The motorcycle is a Kawasaki KZ400 that I redesigned with a diesel engine from an electrical generator. It can get well over 100 mpg and reached a top speed of 56mph in full racing setup."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

front wing flexing posted:

More like 16k base. You also assume that everybody that buys a trike wants to simulate a motorcycle experience instead of just drive something other than a car. You have pretty strong opinions on trikes I see, it's really kind of funny how much people hate them.

I would be interested to see how much trike hate comes from people who have never even sat on one.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Phat_Albert posted:

I would be interested to see how much trike hate comes from people who have never even sat on one.

My dad rides a trike, as he lost one of his legs and the fingers on one hand when an elderly farmer in a pickup t-boned his Harley on the highway. He builds them and rides them.

Otherwise, I think they're kind of poo poo - good for the old, the fat and the lame.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

I've ridden one around in a parking lot. The guy who owned it also rides motorcycles and was a generally cool guy as evidenced by letting me play with his new $20k toy. I really couldn't care less what someone chooses to ride or drive and I've been quite nice to every Can-Am rider I've met.

I still agree with -Inu- though, they seem like the worst of both worlds, almost all of the negatives of motorcycles with almost none of the benefits. It also drives me nuts when I get stuck behind them in the hills because they noticeably slow through turns.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pr0zac posted:

It also drives me nuts when I get stuck behind them in the hills because they noticeably slow through turns.

That's because once you try and go through bends at a decent sort of pace the effort required becomes significant. It takes some serious physical effort to hustle them along.

Phat_Albert posted:

I've ridden one. It's poo poo and pointless.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That's because once you try and go through bends at a decent sort of pace the effort required becomes significant. It takes some serious physical effort to hustle them along.

Not really, the Spyders have power steering. They don't go through bends like a motorcycle though, but they're not motorcycles so yeah.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Not really, the Spyders have power steering. They don't go through bends like a motorcycle though, but they're not motorcycles so yeah.

I've ridden one, and it took some serious effort to chuck through a roundabout at a quick pace, I had to lock my knees quite tight and give the bars a serious yank. Probably took more effort than my wide-barred Gixxer.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

If you're worried about falling / stability... Wouldn't a sidecar rig work just as well, be cheaper, and look pretty cool, too?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eNVIlb4e7o&feature=related

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Pagan posted:

If you're worried about falling / stability... Wouldn't a sidecar rig work just as well, be cheaper, and look pretty cool, too?

They're actually about the same price. And the aesthetic thing is debatable. Also, the Spyder and other trikes are more stable than sidecar rigs and the Spyder has a good list of safety features that just aren't available on motorcycles, like electronic stability control.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

They're actually about the same price. And the aesthetic thing is debatable. Also, the Spyder and other trikes are more stable than sidecar rigs and the Spyder has a good list of safety features that just aren't available on motorcycles, like electronic stability control.

Gotta disagree with this...a proper sidecar rig corners much nicer than a Spyder.

Modern bikes don't have ESC because it doesn't apply motorcycles. They can't lift the inside wheels. They do have ABS and Traction Control now though. Doesn't stop idiots from crashing them, but that's user error.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Z3n posted:

Gotta disagree with this...a proper sidecar rig corners much nicer than a Spyder.

Maybe with a person in it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Maybe with a person in it.

Doesn't have the invasive traction control/ESC that the Spyder does. That stuff is an advantage in terms of safety, but in the corners they stop you from running at any significant speed.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Z3n posted:

Doesn't have the invasive traction control/ESC that the Spyder does. That stuff is an advantage in terms of safety, but in the corners they stop you from running at any significant speed.

Once you get used to it and know when it kicks in actually isn't what you think. The only time it kicks in on any noticeable level is if you loose side to side traction on the rear tire. You actually ride it nothing like a motorcycle, it's more like a fourwheeler. If you've ever done any atvmx you'd be pretty comfortable taking a spyder around bends at speed.

BTW, I have a '11 rss that I purchased because I have a pretty bad back injury. I also have a few motorcycles too. The rss is not a motorcycle but it's still really fun and people love it.
The best part about the rss is the trunk. You can fit a lot of poo poo in that thing. It's cool to ride to the mall or grocery store and actually be able to shop.

Would I have purchased the spyder without an injury? No. Will I ride it as much when I can back on two wheels? Probably not. But I still like it and I just don't get the rage CA has for them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Once you get used to it and know when it kicks in actually isn't what you think. The only time it kicks in on any noticeable level is if you loose side to side traction on the rear tire. You actually ride it nothing like a motorcycle, it's more like a fourwheeler. If you've ever done any atvmx you'd be pretty comfortable taking a spyder around bends at speed.

BTW, I have a '11 rss that I purchased because I have a pretty bad back injury. I also have a few motorcycles too. The rss is not a motorcycle but it's still really fun and people love it.
The best part about the rss is the trunk. You can fit a lot of poo poo in that thing. It's cool to ride to the mall or grocery store and actually be able to shop.

Would I have purchased the spyder without an injury? No. Will I ride it as much when I can back on two wheels? Probably not. But I still like it and I just don't get the rage CA has for them.

I ride ATVs just to spin the rear tires so that sort of ruins the fun for me. :( Also, they're a blast to 2 wheel.

I get that they're more accessible, and can be fun in that regard, but I just like things that corner by leaning to the inside of the corner, not the outside.

And I think the rage is just folks being hyperbolic on the internet ;)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Like you could with, for instance, a convertible sportscar? That is going to quicker and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun a Spyder?

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 22, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I too think that people should only enjoy things I enjoy and will come up with subjective reasons to support an opinion.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Surely we can all agree trikes are poo poo, I mean... duh.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Spiffness posted:

gently caress you. :mad:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Spiffness posted:

I certainly can't imagine ever owning one personally, but if someone enjoys the hell out of one who are we to say that the ride they enjoy is really not that fun, it's actually a piece of poo poo and they'd be better off in a loving car?

Really? No thanks.

Not for me, but probably 50%+ of the bikes people own on this forum aren't for me either and I'd rate a Canam in the same category.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

gently caress you. :mad:

So tell me...how hard is it to post with one of those things on top of you? Because from what I hear, they have 2 modes: waiting to strike and pinning the operator like a roman wrestler.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you want a bike you can carry groceries/dogs/girlfriends in, get a sidecar.

Went to Backfire in Ballard again, saw some cool poo poo as usual.

This made me chuckle.

Turbo 'Busa without a retarded swingarm or paintjob.

Some crazy frankenthumper.

I was considering a mini cylindrical oilbag to clean up my project bike, but I really like this idea.

Saw 4 or 5 Kikkers, but this one had a Virago engine swap. Pretty cleanly done.

Also, if you live in the Seattle area, you should definitely check it out some time. If you get sick of looking at bikes, there's two bars with completely opposite atmospheres across from each other, and two microbreweries a block from each other, all within the same area all the bikes are parked.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 22, 2011

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

So tell me...how hard is it to post with one of those things on top of you? Because from what I hear, they have 2 modes: waiting to strike and pinning the operator like a roman wrestler.

Going around a corner is like playing with a grizzly bear. If you're cautious enough, go very slow, and don't be real aggressive, you'll usually be ok. But occasionally she will attack and throw you to the ground, severely maiming you in the process with blood and guts strewn around like a can of spam over-pressurized to the point of catastrophic structural integrity failure.

The rest of the time it's like riding a KLR with a sidecar and a 600 pound gorilla in the seat. But it gets you there!

MrZig fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 22, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slim Pickens posted:

Those are pretty funky-looking handlebars, I wonder how comfortable they are.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slim Pickens posted:

Also, if you live in the Seattle area, you should definitely check it out some time. If you get sick of looking at bikes, there's two bars with completely opposite atmospheres across from each other, and two microbreweries a block from each other, all within the same area all the bikes are parked.

I'm in Magnolia and actually lived in Ballard for a little bit. I know exactly where that is. Is it some sort of weekly thing? I always see bikes out there.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Every third wednesday, so the next one would be on Oct. 19th. This was probably the last big one 'til spring, though, considering the weather here.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holy poo poo Greek nutbags: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P-IxRZdLLs#t=2m40s

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Unadilla 2011. Gonna try the GNCC next year just for fun.

http://gnccracing.com/videos/138_2011-unadilla-bike-racing

And a friend riding in A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEjAy69Mj14

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 23, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://vimeo.com/29415302

http://www.stuntbums.com/articles/554/2011-ride-century

Only 4 serious injuries, a couple of totaled bikes, and evading the cops! :buddy:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The guy standing up backwards on his bike taking pics on his phone on the freeway is just insane.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Coredump posted:

The guy standing up backwards on his bike taking pics on his phone on the freeway is just insane.

I think he was posting a status update.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Coredump posted:

No kidding, he didnt even check what was in front of him for at least a mile.

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

Holy poo poo, that guy.

Also did anyone else catch the song in the background referencing Rugrats? :wtc:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

KARMA! posted:

"checking if the road is hot enough". Haha, yeah.

The worst part is that hes on the 17 between San Jose and Santa Cruz. Its a relatively fast (50mph+) and very twisty highway thats two lanes in both directions. The really dangerous part is that a lot of people who day trip to Santa Cruz from the bay area have NO IDEA how to drive safely on fast, twisty road. I've driven it many times and can't tell you how many times I've had to break hard because someone was going into a turn really wrong - I was almost driven off the road once when someone in the fast lane went into a turn way too fast and over corrected back into my lane. The only thing that saved me was that I saw how terribly they were doing and decided to wait til a straightaway to pass them. You could easily die on that highway on a bike from a terrible driver.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Z3n posted:

http://vimeo.com/29415302

http://www.stuntbums.com/articles/554/2011-ride-century

Only 4 serious injuries, a couple of totaled bikes, and evading the cops! :buddy:

Fuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkk. Did anyone catch the DRZ guy with a prostetic leg at the beginning? Also the dude doing a stand up into ONCOMING TRAFFIC? loving nuts. Eesh.

content...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I loving love you motojournal

(2:30 if you have no soul)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kJxXi5xvDY