Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

TheLastManStanding posted:

words

I'm pretty sure K-Rock says this stuff as a joke. Some sort of sick humor aimed towards those with a fair bit of knowledge with cameras. The unfortunate part is that a lot of noobs read his stuff as fact.
At least, I really hope that's what's going on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ole_bjorne posted:

Thank you for replies. Will get my tripod soon then. Can I trust his reviews of lenses and cameras?

I wouldnt. Sometimes his views line up with the real world, but mostly they dont.

I still dont know if he's a really dedicated troll, or if he's just that dumb.

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt

Phat_Albert posted:

I wouldnt. Sometimes his views line up with the real world, but mostly they dont.

I still dont know if he's a really dedicated troll, or if he's just that dumb.

I've seen him described on here as not a photographer but a camera enthusiast. Thus the bits of his camera/lens reviews that are based on things that photographers care about are good. But his reviews also contain a lot of things that only gear enthusiasts care about, and from a photography perspective these bits are not useful. So you have to learn what to ignore and what not to. His more general photography techniques articles are useless. In general you would be better served just asking in the Gear thread here on Dorkroom.

The 35 1.8 is a good lens. The 55-200 is fairly mediocre but suitable as a cheap zoom lens if you don't have high image quality needs (i.e. printing stuff out really big)

anabatica fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 2, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want lens advice, either post here, or try the-digital-picture.com

The only thing Ken is good for is gaming search engines so he shows up at the top of the result list, fooling legions of new photographers into thinking he knows what he's talking about.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

krock posted:

Still Think Tripods Make Sharper Images?

Try it yourself. Make a shot from your 'pod at f/22. Then pick up your tool in your own bare hands and make some shots at f/8 or wider. Look for yourself. It's obvious.

Technically this is true, but :ughh:

:siren:ken rockwell rediscovers diffraction! Calls it the rockwell-effect:siren:

Also, I move a motion that anyone who calls a tripod a "'pod" be punched in the head.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Well, I just tried stacking 27 exposures in deepskystacker, and considering there was a full moon out and I was pointed towards a brightly lit air force base I'm pretty happy with the results.

Cassiopeia by MrDespair, on Flickr

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ole_bjorne posted:

Thank you for replies. Will get my tripod soon then. Can I trust his reviews of lenses and cameras? I got two of his recommended lenses for D5100 - 35mm f/1.8 and 55-200mm VR.
If you're getting a f/1.8 lens, then you can risk going without tripod. I'm not sure how well noise is at higher ISO with Nikon cameras, but my 550D fares well enough, and what's still there, Lightroom can handle it well enough without destroying image quality. Not so long ago, I was running around the nearby city with my 30mm set to f1.8 and 3200 ISO, and I netted 1/100s - 1/150s almost always. And our European lesser cities aren't Las Vegas bright.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
This is the only one I've got :(

Bus stop. by Clwn, on Flickr

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

20 seconds. Sight of the WTC, shot back in June.

spikedog
Sep 11, 2011
Wow, there are some great shots here, I am still very new to photography but here is my contribution:

Both were taken from Sunshine60 in Tokyo and were about 15 seconds each. Excuse the watermark, from a failed blog.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Couple of my recent night images:

M71 and Comet Garradd by elimisel, on Flickr

M33 - Triangulum Galaxy by elimisel, on Flickr

M81 (Bode's Galaxy) - M82 (Cigar Galaxy) by elimisel, on Flickr

Bouquet Toss by elimisel, on Flickr

Garter Anticipation by elimisel, on Flickr

Disco Bella by elimisel, on Flickr

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 12, 2011

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt

Choicecut posted:

Disco Bella by elimisel, on Flickr

Your astrophotography ones are good but this one makes her look like an alien somehow, it's disturbing.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

anabatica posted:

Your astrophotography ones are good but this one makes her look like an alien somehow, it's disturbing.

Bummer.. I thought it was pretty cool/cute. Any suggestions or just scrap it?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Yeah, I thought it was Mac and Me for a second before realizing it was a little girl.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Choicecut posted:

Bummer.. I thought it was pretty cool/cute. Any suggestions or just scrap it?

Change the color balance so her skin isn't green.

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt
I think the (apparent) proportions and stance are contributing too, but yea, see if fixing the skin helps.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Cool.. I tried bumping up the exposure and adjusting the color a little. Not sure if it helped any though.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

spikedog posted:

Wow, there are some great shots here, I am still very new to photography but here is my contribution:

Both were taken from Sunshine60 in Tokyo and were about 15 seconds each. Excuse the watermark, from a failed blog.

very nice.

Highline/Sky Watchers by wholesome_, on Flickr

City Streets by wholesome_, on Flickr

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Clown posted:

This is the only one I've got :(

Bus stop. by Clwn, on Flickr

I absolutely love this one. The couple on the right really makes it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
We had some northern lights. These are all with the X100. I would never have trusted my 5D to meter these, but it handled like a champ.

http://myx100year.blogspot.com/2011/09/northern-lights.html

DSCF1074.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr

DSCF1075.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr

DSCF1083.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Only one I got of the aurora, was too busy watching it to take pictures! (first time I've ever seen it). Eight second exposure, putting the camera face up on the snowy ground (in retrospect, not such a good idea). The aurora was quite faint at this point, but the entire sky was flickering and pulsing green. Truly awesome.

P1060734 by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Alcoholic
Sep 8, 2011
recently started out, and its pretty much my second day with my rebel xti.
pulled out the tripod, walked down to the docks, and tried. any notes what so ever is appreciated.

IMG_3221 by fuckinshitballs, on Flickr

IMG_3194 by fuckinshitballs, on Flickr

IMG_3163 by fuckinshitballs, on Flickr

Alcoholic fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 15, 2011

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Alcoholic posted:

IMG_3163 by fuckinshitballs, on Flickr

Pretty. Not what I'd call a "long exposure" but nice.

Lightning One by torgeaux, on Flickr

Lightning Two by torgeaux, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Tried shooting with a 35mm f1.8 instead of the 18-55vr lens I had, and between that and the only partial moon I'm pretty happy with how things are looking now, it's good practice so that when I actually go out to the observatory to get some dark sky I can spend it all actually taking pictures instead of figuring things out.

AnotherTry.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Alcoholic
Sep 8, 2011

torgeaux posted:

Pretty. Not what I'd call a "long exposure" but nice.

Lightning One by torgeaux, on Flickr

Lightning Two by torgeaux, on Flickr

whoops, read the thread wrong. thought it said night time or long exposures. and i figured dusk was kinda close to night and idk. thanks though.
and i tried taking heat lightning pictures with my k1000 but they didn't come out as cool as those

98650002 by fuckinshitballs, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Alcoholic posted:

whoops, read the thread wrong. thought it said night time or long exposures. and i figured dusk was kinda close to night and idk. thanks though.
and i tried taking heat lightning pictures with my k1000 but they didn't come out as cool as those

98650002 by fuckinshitballs, on Flickr

No worries, it's a nice shot no matter what.

Lightning is the most maddening thing to shoot. Shutter open 10 seconds on, 3 seconds off, and every impressive bit of lightning is in the 3 seconds off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Lightning is the most maddening thing to shoot. Shutter open 10 seconds on, 3 seconds off, and every impressive bit of lightning is in the 3 seconds off.

Interval doesn't matter.. even if you're shooting as fast as the camera can cycle, all the best bolts will still hit while the shutter is closed.

Proof that the universe is sentient, and it hates us.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

torgeaux posted:

No worries, it's a nice shot no matter what.

Oh god, don't get me started.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This is basically the nerd's "gently caress you" machine to lightning:

http://diy.viktak.com/2011/03/zeus-lightning-trigger-for-cameras.html

Alcoholic
Sep 8, 2011
if film wasnt expensive to develop i wouldve taken more, but that was a couple months ago, and i just got a dslr about a week ago

Alcoholic fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 18, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Andromeda2.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

This 35mm lens is a pain in the rear end to get working since it doesn't focus on infinity by default, and doesn't any manual marks on the ring to make it easy. Probably going to look at returning it and just finding an old manual lens for this sort of work.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Mr. Despair posted:

This 35mm lens is a pain in the rear end to get working since it doesn't focus on infinity by default, and doesn't any manual marks on the ring to make it easy. Probably going to look at returning it and just finding an old manual lens for this sort of work.
I'm guessing you don't have some sort of 'live view' on your camera? Finding an old lens probably wont work since a lot of lenses will go past infinity.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

TheLastManStanding posted:

I'm guessing you don't have some sort of 'live view' on your camera? Finding an old lens probably wont work since a lot of lenses will go past infinity.

Yeah, but most old lenses will have markings on the focus ring to let you focus in at various distances, including infinity. At least all the Pentax lenses I have sitting here do that.

I do have a newer body coming in the mail tomorrow that has live view, and I've made a pencil mark on my lens to give me something to line up on. Hopefully it takes less than 20 minutes to get focus tomorrow night!

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Get some rape tape and make it permanent.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Went to downtown Austin to try and take a long exposure, and of course I forgot my tripod. Ended up smashing the camera down against a guardrail to get one good shot out of like twenty:

I want to drive out again sometime and try again with the tripod and a better understanding of what I'm doing.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
For long exposures...should airplane trails be left in or brushed out? What's the consensus here? For some of my shots that are ~10 secs, the airplane doesn't even fully travel across the frame.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Hey, something not astronomy related from me for once, Châteaux de Lastours in the south of France during it's wonderfully cheesy light show. I only had a toy tripod and it was windy, so I was happy at least one came out reasonably well!

Châteaux de Lastours by tmarkuk, on Flickr

And something very astronomy related, the Elephants Trunk Nebula in Cepheus.

Elephants Trunk (Reprocessed) by tmarkuk, on Flickr

Jekub fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 22, 2011

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
Just got a new Tripod this week and took this:

I'm new to this so any feedback would be appreciated.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

From my bedroom window with an E-P3:

20110928-P9280969 by Cacator, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

And the associated time lapse (from a slightly different spot)

http://www.vimeo.com/29737852