Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

Goofballs posted:

This is going to sound kind of stupid for first time advice but play through the game a second time. A lot of the difficulty in Mirror's Edge is figuring where you should be going while under fire. The second time through its a glorious free running game where you are much less lightly to get frustrated. Though maybe I'm saying that because I'm not great at platforming games.

No, that makes sense to me. I intend on doing so. The first play through seems like "just survive! go faster!" while the second is more "how can i do this way better than last time." Both sound fun but in different ways.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Space Cob posted:

No, that makes sense to me. I intend on doing so. The first play through seems like "just survive! go faster!" while the second is more "how can i do this way better than last time." Both sound fun but in different ways.

Thanks for the tips guys.

There's an unlockable Time-trial mode where you race through the stages trying to get a Gold medal, and another mode with special stages where you don't have to fight enemies but can just focus on beating the best times. The challenge comes from finding the quickest routes (which can be pretty tricky) and then executing them perfectly (which can be HELLISH). Personally I love the time trials and spent countless hours perfecting my time records. I never got all gold medals, though. Just remember that the obvious routes are ALWAYS the slowest.

One important thing is to maintain your speed. Avoid unnecessary turning and jumping since it will slow you down. Momentum is VERY important and greatly affects how far/high you can jump, for how long you can maintain a wall run, etc.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 18, 2011

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Finally got Stalker: SoC and I installed the Stalker complete mod.

Any tips on how to start the game? I've already gotten to the part where you have a shootout near the barn with those dudes. I remember someone saying something about getting an assault rifle by killing the leader of the nearby soldiers with a silenced headshot, but it seems everytime I do this I get raped by everyone else, even if nobody's looking.

Any general tips?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Any tips on how to start the game? I've already gotten to the part where you have a shootout near the barn with those dudes. I remember someone saying something about getting an assault rifle by killing the leader of the nearby soldiers with a silenced headshot, but it seems everytime I do this I get raped by everyone else, even if nobody's looking.

Any general tips?

If you attack the soldiers and then lead them to the starter camp, you can usually pick up some good gear off of corpses once the resulting fracas dies down, though depending on how things go down you may need to help out. The starting pistol and shot gun are fairly weak, so pistol headshots and point blank shotgun blasts are usually the way to go.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Any general tips?

I've always found antagonizing the army that early to backfire horribly, myself, but if you can get through the "car-park" fight with a pistol the first time, you'll get a sawn-off shotgun for your troubles but more importantly you can get a (somewhat crappier than military issue but better than anything else you'd see at this point) assault rifle when the bandits come and try to take the place back. Which probably won't take long since the respawn frequency in SOC is often unreasonably high (literally every time I passed that place there was another firefight going on).

This goes against most advice and common sense for Stalker firefights, but if you can't reliably get headshots, running straight at a bandit when he pauses shooting at you, emptying the entire pistol magazine into him works well enough. Don't try it against anyone with better armour than a bandit jacket though.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Ddraig posted:

Any general tips?

Generally, use cover, lean, and iron sights a LOT. Eventually you will be able to run and gun a little, that time is not yet come. Be aware of artifacts with radiation - some artifacts you get have +radiation, you need -radiation artifacts to go along with them or you'll die of radiation if you use them. The game takes a little bit of getting used to - you may think at first "gently caress this game it is frustrating", it just takes a little while to warm up. Get to the Bar, at least, and if you make it that far and still don't like it you are allowed to stop playing. You will like it, though.

For early game strategies, the military sends patrols up and down the main Cordon road, ambush and kill one for their stuff, and then the military will send a retaliatory strike force against the rookie village. Fight them off with the help of the other rookies, and you will have a bunch of loot to sell and you ought to get at least one decent condition rifle out of it. Then you are prepared to kill the guys at the railroad bridge (make sure to get the officer's pistol, it's a great pistol) and then you're off to the races. Don't be afraid to quicksave a lot early on. Also there is a decent suit of armor hidden in the attic of one of the rookie village houses - the one farthest to the NE, you have to get onto the roof of the house next to it and sprint/jump over. Get that a decent AK and the start
of the game is a bit gentler.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
For SoC:

I lucked out or something, because after I cleared out the bridge (because some bandits attacked it, along with a couple boars, killing all but 3 of the sildiers) the military started sending really stong patrols in the area, and killing one gave me a near-perfect AN-94. :toot: If you have an opportunity to do something, go for it, you never know what you might get, and at worst you have to reload a save. and remember to save. A lot.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I was gifted Dungeons of Dredmor, played through the tutorial then was asked to look at poo poo in Minecraft. Anything I should know? I've never really played roguelikes.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Chief Savage Man posted:

I was gifted Dungeons of Dredmor, played through the tutorial then was asked to look at poo poo in Minecraft. Anything I should know? I've never really played roguelikes.
Do you want help with DoD or Minecraft?

VVV: Then look 2 pages back.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 19, 2011

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

Do you want help with DoD or Minecraft?

DoD

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I just picked up Persona 3 Portable, I know to use buffs/debuffs a lot, but is there anything else I need to know?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Picked up Cities in Motion. I'm good enough to barely keep in the black with an occasional loan or period of waiting, but without loans I never hit the 5 digits in the campaign after initial setup. Is there a good guide as to how to design routes efficiently? Not a walkthrough of the campaign, but just something to show me the basics of route design to get me to the point that I can keep afloat on my own. The tutorial just shows how to place routes and that's it.

Reposting from the last page. All I've found myself is a really short guide based on excerpts from a city planning text book that didn't address game mechanics, just general theory.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Without spoiling anything (I haven't started IFF yet), I notice that there is an extra slot in my team roster, on the far left, in Mass Effect 2.

I am assuming that this slot gets filled after I start the IFF mission, and I can go ahead and do that now?

Edit: Never mind. I looked up a guide to get the best ending, and it mentioned a character that will be filling that slot. Not too much spoiled, luckily.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 21, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's correct, but you should still make sure that everything else you'd want to do (Loyalty missions, upgrades to the ship, whatever else) is done before starting the IFF mission.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Centipeed posted:

Without spoiling anything (I haven't started IFF yet), I notice that there is an extra slot in my team roster, on the far left, in Mass Effect 2.

I am assuming that this slot gets filled after I start the IFF mission, and I can go ahead and do that now?

Make sure you have as much has you can in terms of loyalty and recruitment missions finished.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ddraig posted:

Any general tips?
I took out the entire army base using ambushes while they were busy killing rookies. It was the greatest feeling of accomplishment I ever had.

*If you played an FPS before, play the game on the hardest mode. Enemies need the help and you need to learn how to handle different factions and using the terrain on the fly.
*You won't get a "good" weapon for quite some time. There is a very useful gun in the death tunnel near the rad mountains where people ask for your help. The ammo for it is in the tower in the junkyard.
*You will be gathering money to get lots of kits, grenades, and STALKER suit.
*Stay away from irradiated areas until you get a message about the loot.
*Scientist and STALKER suits are extremely helpful for night missions. Capability trumps stats.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So I picked up Two Worlds II from the Steam midweek madness. Is there anything I should know about the game or is it just as easy to break the game as it was in the first game?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Centipeed posted:

Edit: Never mind. I looked up a guide to get the best ending, and it mentioned a character that will be filling that slot. Not too much spoiled, luckily.

Without spoiling anything, after IFF you have exactly two missions you can do before bad stuff begins to happen. Talking to the new character counts as one and unless you hate him you'll do his loyalty mission which counts as two.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I just downloaded Unreal Gold off Steam. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to run it in 16:9 mode and how to go about getting it to run in 16:9 mode?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

fuckpot posted:

I just downloaded Unreal Gold off Steam. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to run it in 16:9 mode and how to go about getting it to run in 16:9 mode?

Does manually editing the resolution in the config file work?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Yes it did. Also downloading the dx10 renderer worked.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

al-azad posted:

Without spoiling anything, after IFF you have exactly two missions you can do before bad stuff begins to happen. Talking to the new character counts as one and unless you hate him you'll do his loyalty mission which counts as two.

I ended up looking up a guide for the best ending.

Which is not so much a "best" ending, as it is an "ending in which nothing terrible happens", or "not terrible" ending.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 22, 2011

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

al-azad posted:

Talking to the new character does NOT count as one, actually, so you can do his loyalty mission and one other mission or planet visit before bad stuff. If you haven't done Tali's loyalty mission yet, that is a fun one to bring him on - lots of bonus dialogue.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
I bought the King's Bounty pack from Steam sale a while ago, and since it has three games which one should I play first and is there anything else I should know when starting a new game?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Anything for Etrian Odyssey 3?

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I've picked up Borderlands on Steam.

I've heard there are lots of side missions but they do seem like a lot of fun and as the whole game's about running, gunning, gaining XP and looting I want to do them all.

Are there any side missions I can miss? I know that I get announcements that new jobs appear on 'bounty boards', but do I get announcements for bounty boards in areas other than the one I'm in? Are there characters who give missions that I might miss? Do I get announcements that they've got new side missions to offer?

Help me not miss anything, please!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

EddieDean posted:

Are there any side missions I can miss? I know that I get announcements that new jobs appear on 'bounty boards', but do I get announcements for bounty boards in areas other than the one I'm in? Are there characters who give missions that I might miss? Do I get announcements that they've got new side missions to offer?

The claptraps keep tooting about available missions in %foo% all the time once they're up for grabs. The game doesn't throw you bullshit curveballs by having new quests appear far behind your back.

The only things the game doesn't actively shove you towards are the DLC areas. Do the Zombie Island once you're comfortably in the double digit levels and have a burny gun, Moxxi's is pretty much a self-contained arena thing and I think the other two (Knoxx definitely, don't know about Robot Revolution) are extensions to the tail end of the game.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

EddieDean posted:

I've heard there are lots of side missions but they do seem like a lot of fun and as the whole game's about running, gunning, gaining XP and looting I want to do them all.

Most of the sidequests can be grouped into a couple categories:

Collect items. These are poo poo. You either have to find 10+ specific items scattered throughout the game world or, more annoyingly, you have to keep killing a specific kind of enemy that all drop a certain item.

Scavenger quests. Basically, you go to a specific location and then hunt around for parts of a weapon which you then get as a reward when you complete it. Not very challenging, but people get screwed up by the fact that the quest pointer points to a general area instead of to each piece in succession (usually, just use common sense and you'll be fine).

Kill a boss. These are pretty easy. When you get them, the quest will usually be too difficult, but once you level up enough it's easy to come back and complete it. The bosses are, usually, entertaining and only a couple are bullet-sponges.

Survival. These are the quests where they throw you into an arena with usually 3 rounds of attacks (each round is its own quest). They can be really challenging and get harder and harder, but they're pretty painless.

Beyond that, the main quest is pretty diverse. You'll generally be limited to killing bosses and collecting items, with everything else being fairly optional. The announcements about new quests will show up for areas you aren't currently in, but I'm not sure how exact it is. Like, when I'm near New Haven I get a bunch of notifications that people have quests, but I dunno if I'd hear the same thing about people from Fyrestone in that location, you know? Never hurts to pop back to earlier areas once in a while to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Edit: The only things you should worry about missing are the storage upgrades (Backpack SDUs). They're only given by damaged claptraps that you rescue in various levels, so make sure you don't miss any. When you start your second playthrough, only half of the original claptraps have even a CHANCE of dropping an SDU when you re-complete their quest, so it may be worth checking out the Borderlands wiki to see which ones. Once you hit the high levels, storage space WILL be an issue again because you'll want to be lugging around multiple shields and class mods with you (the best of each type, typically).

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 22, 2011

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Astfgl posted:

Most of the sidequests can be grouped into a couple categories:

Collect items. These are poo poo. You either have to find 10+ specific items scattered throughout the game world or, more annoyingly, you have to keep killing a specific kind of enemy that all drop a certain item.

Scavenger quests. Basically, you go to a specific location and then hunt around for parts of a weapon which you then get as a reward when you complete it. Not very challenging, but people get screwed up by the fact that the quest pointer points to a general area instead of to each piece in succession (usually, just use common sense and you'll be fine).

Kill a boss. These are pretty easy. When you get them, the quest will usually be too difficult, but once you level up enough it's easy to come back and complete it. The bosses are, usually, entertaining and only a couple are bullet-sponges.

Survival. These are the quests where they throw you into an arena with usually 3 rounds of attacks (each round is its own quest). They can be really challenging and get harder and harder, but they're pretty painless.

Beyond that, the main quest is pretty diverse. You'll generally be limited to killing bosses and collecting items, with everything else being fairly optional. The announcements about new quests will show up for areas you aren't currently in, but I'm not sure how exact it is. Like, when I'm near New Haven I get a bunch of notifications that people have quests, but I dunno if I'd hear the same thing about people from Fyrestone in that location, you know? Never hurts to pop back to earlier areas once in a while to make sure you didn't miss anything.

I am roughly 2/3rds of the way through and I've been checking the Borderlands wiki, it lists all the quests you can get in an area so I can be sure not to miss any. And the survival/arena quests are really freaking hard.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sayara posted:

I bought the King's Bounty pack from Steam sale a while ago, and since it has three games which one should I play first and is there anything else I should know when starting a new game?

The Legend was the first one released but you can either start with that one or Armored Princess. Crossworlds is an expansion to Armored Princess. I've only played The Legend, and it's been a couple years, but here's what I can remember.

You can choose one of three classes to start with. Mage is tougher than Fighter at the beginning but ends up astronomically more powerful. Fighter has an easy early game but doesn't scale up as well as Mage. Paladin is the hard mode, it's still totally doable but you'll struggle through a bunch of the game.

Prioritize the story quests until you get the box then feel free to start doing other stuff. The box basically gives you a second cast per turn and some of the effects are very powerful. The rock dude and the fish can be done pretty early, not sure when you can get the others.

At the start of the game, enemy placement and power level is randomized, along with the numbers and types of units each castle has to offer. This isn't strictly necessary to know, but it's useful.

Your wife, once you get one, gives bonuses to a stat or two. More importantly, she's four free item slots of various types. Babies take up one of those slots, usually give a kind of crappy bonus, and can't be removed unless you divorce your wife.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

EddieDean posted:

I don't think you can miss any quests because the stuff stays on the boards forever. You can miss saving claptraps mostly by forgetting about them and just pushing on and they are generally worth saving as they can increase your inventory size. There are claptraps on some sidemissions and if you do all the sidemissions you will over level.

One major tip I wish I had followed. Don't overlevel. Like if your main quest mission says you should be around level 15 and you are level 20 you will curbstomp all the enemies and it will be really really boring. You kind of want to be at the level suggested or one behind or ahead. Oh and if you are like 5 levels behind you will get stomped by the mission.

If you can play with other people. Its a much better expereince that way.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DeathBySpoon posted:

Anything for Etrian Odyssey 3?

A bunch of us just started/restarted the game over in the EO3 thread. There are helpful tips on the last few pages and don't worry, we've been using spoiler tags.

When you first start, make a few "reserve" members and put their points into Combat Study so they'll get EXP while you're out exploring. I've found that in the early game, this is super helpful, because you'll spend quite a bit of time tweaking your party composition. When you Rest them to reset their skill points, so long as they're level 10 (I think?) or under, there is no penalty. So, leave 'em back home to bake and when you start itching to try out another class, he'll have a head start.

Do the same with four Farmers, but later give them Mine, Take, etc.--you can have one of your damage-dealers "escort" them through the first floors to all the places they can use their abilities and then, once you're done, one of them can use To Market to zip you straight back to town so you can sell what you've gathered.

Big green birds beating your rear end in the first stratum? Explore by night. They don't come out at night. Later, you can come back during the day and get revenge (you can fast-forward to night by resting at the inn).

The Prince's passive healing skills are wonderful in the early game. Pureauthor in the thread says it's okay to stick him in the front line because he's got great HP and can use heavy armor. I've found that he can dish out a surprising deal of damage, too. All-around, the Prince is a good initial party choice.

Really early, you'll get the ability to Forge weapons. Do this. Being able to Blind or Poison enemies with a simple sword strike is great.

Anyway, you might find it helpful to post in the thread and ask for more start-up tips because I just re-started the game and undoubtedly I've forgotten some helpful ones!

Now, a question:

In DX:HR, if I throw something heavy at a scrub and he dies, does the game treat it as Jensen having killed him?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
For borderlands: Honestly, you don't want to do all the sidequests. If you do, you'll grossly outlevel the main quest and the game will get really boring. Do the sidequests if you're lower-level than the main quest, but once you're within a level of it do that.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

gohuskies posted:

Talking to the new character does NOT count as one, actually, so you can do his loyalty mission and one other mission or planet visit before bad stuff. If you haven't done Tali's loyalty mission yet, that is a fun one to bring him on - lots of bonus dialogue.

Confirming this works, and is definitely worth having that guy along with you for her loyalty mission.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Proximity mines will explode if anything gets near them.

Try throwing a crate near one.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Proximity mines will explode if anything gets near them.

Try throwing a crate near one.

But then you can't sneak up to them, disable them, and sell for money!

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Morpheus posted:

But then you can't sneak up to them, disable them, and sell for money!

First time I ran into a mine in DX: HR, I tried running up to it to quickly grab it like in the original. That didn't go so well.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Anonononomous posted:

First time I ran into a mine in DX: HR, I tried running up to it to quickly grab it like in the original. That didn't go so well.

I think we all did. What a cruel joke. :smith:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I think we all did. What a cruel joke. :smith:
The joke is that in 20 or so years sneaking up to a LAM will get you exactly the same thing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
This might be a longshot but are there any tips for Armageddon Empires? Particularly for the human faction and deck building?