Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

bacon! posted:

I called up Vanguard this week and got the rundown on their mutual funds, how the automatic investing works, etc. It seems great, but most of the funds have a minimum of $3000 ($10,000 for admiral) and I've only got about 30k in my IRA right now meaning I can't get by with a portfolio of mutual funds as diverse as the one I posted above with just ETFs.

Option 1: Buy 3 funds, admiral shares (total us stock (VTSAX), short term bonds (VBIRX), international (VTIAX) )
Option 2: Buy regular funds, about 6, non-admiral shares. More diversification, higher expense fees
Option 3: Use my ETF portfolio (probably not a good option given how I want to invest monthly)

Either way, I'm switching to vanguard. The dude on the phone was extremely helpful and seemed very committed to low cost, indexed investing.

Just in case he didn't tell you, your regular funds automatically turn into Admiral shares when you reach the $10k mark, so don't stress if you come in a bit below that now if you don't want to put in the full $10 right away.

Vanguard definitely has excellent customer service, it's pretty great getting someone knowledgeable on the phone after just a few rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

berzerker posted:

Just in case he didn't tell you, your regular funds automatically turn into Admiral shares when you reach the $10k mark, so don't stress if you come in a bit below that now if you don't want to put in the full $10 right away.

Vanguard definitely has excellent customer service, it's pretty great getting someone knowledgeable on the phone after just a few rings.

This is great news! I will cut it down to about 5 funds and most of them will pretty close to Admiral status. Sweet!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Lyon posted:

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do right now and was hoping for some advice.

Income: $2500/mo after taxes/medical/etc
Expenses: ~$1500/mo, this varies a little but I try to save $1k/mo

Cash/Savings: $14,995
Investment: $4572 (2010 Roth maxed)
Debt: $595 on my CC, I pay this monthly

I have a Smarty Pig account setup where I have two goals setup, my emergency fund and my Roth IRA for 2011. The emergency fund will hit $10k on October 1st and that is where the goal is set to finish. I just created the Roth IRA goal because you always need to have an active goal in smarty pig. If I wanted to I could fund my 2011 Roth IRA fully in November probably without affecting the emergency fund or my liquidity but right now I have SP set to withdraw $697/mo which will get me to $5,000 by April (counting the initial deposit).

I'm also owed between $0 and $7,000 in bonus right now and I'm about to hit between $0 and $8,500. I need to talk to my boss about this, but assuming I get at least half of the max that will be a decent amount of income that I basically don't plan for in my budgeting.

I plan to continue maxing my Roth IRA every year and potentially start contributing to the 401k even though it is non-match. I want to maintain my $10k e-fund, ~$2k as a buffer in checking, and max my 2011 Roth. After that I don't really know where to go and that is where I was hoping for some advice.

The only thing I can think of is to start contributing to the company 401k but if memory serves the options are fairly crappy and there is no match. I'd also like to start saving for life events such as buying a house, getting married, etc. It seems like just holding those medium term investments in cash right now is the best idea though?

Quoting your whole post since it's a new page and you might get lost. I don't know about most of it, but there's no reason not to fund your Roth as you go instead of waiting till the end of the year. You can't time the market or anything by waiting or not waiting, and it's a long term investment, so you might as well just do it as you go so that (in good times anyway) your money can have more time to increase in the Roth. If interest rates were decent it would maybe be worthwhile to build it up in SmartyPig first, but as it is, there's no point.

For your other savings stuff... I dunno. There's not too many good places for savers who want to grow their money right now :( Might as well use SmartyPig for your Life fund (marriage/house/etc.) unless you want to go a little higher risk with bonds or something.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Quoting your whole post since it's a new page and you might get lost. I don't know about most of it, but there's no reason not to fund your Roth as you go instead of waiting till the end of the year. You can't time the market or anything by waiting or not waiting, and it's a long term investment, so you might as well just do it as you go so that (in good times anyway) your money can have more time to increase in the Roth. If interest rates were decent it would maybe be worthwhile to build it up in SmartyPig first, but as it is, there's no point.

For your other savings stuff... I dunno. There's not too many good places for savers who want to grow their money right now :( Might as well use SmartyPig for your Life fund (marriage/house/etc.) unless you want to go a little higher risk with bonds or something.

That's a good point, maybe I'll just setup a Vanguard direct withdrawal for the amount. It was never a time the market thing, more of a, "I just opened it last year and did a lump sum of $5k in 2010 so why not do the same in 2011" thing.

Seems cash is the best/safest in regards to holding money so I'll just have to start differentiating what certain piles of money are for. I've never exceeded my $2,500 monthly income (come drat close to breaking even though once or twice) so I've never had to dip into savings. I guess now I'll start creating weird categories in Smarty Pig so when the need does arise I'll know what I can take from where etc.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

bacon! posted:

The dude on the phone was extremely helpful and seemed very committed to low cost, indexed investing.
Not surprising, they invented it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_fund#Origins

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Lyon posted:

That's a good point, maybe I'll just setup a Vanguard direct withdrawal for the amount. It was never a time the market thing, more of a, "I just opened it last year and did a lump sum of $5k in 2010 so why not do the same in 2011" thing.

Seems cash is the best/safest in regards to holding money so I'll just have to start differentiating what certain piles of money are for. I've never exceeded my $2,500 monthly income (come drat close to breaking even though once or twice) so I've never had to dip into savings. I guess now I'll start creating weird categories in Smarty Pig so when the need does arise I'll know what I can take from where etc.
Be careful with Smartypig. Last time I checked, the interest rate drops to something tiny on the entire account balance if you go over $40k or something like that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

You don't have to have 15 different funds to be diverse. You can just do something like the three or four fund portfolios here: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_Portfolios

In fact the three fund portfolio is exactly what the Target Retirement funds are until it gets really close to the target date when it starts to add inflation protected funds and money markets. But for most of the time it is just Total Stock Market, Total International Stock, and Total Bond in varying proportions. So you can just get those three funds and adjust the stock/bond ratio yourself.

Thanks, I had no idea they were that broad.

Do you or anyone else have any recommendations for someone who is 31 as to allocation? 85k had said that he felt that retirement accounts were too heavily weighted toward stocks and I tend to agree looking through my current one. But I'm wondering what would be ample. 30% toward bonds? My biggest concern right now would be that we're entering a lost decade or two with minor growth in stocks and I'd hate to be wasting those years having 90% allocated to them.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Niwrad posted:

Do you or anyone else have any recommendations for someone who is 31 as to allocation? 85k had said that he felt that retirement accounts were too heavily weighted toward stocks and I tend to agree looking through my current one. But I'm wondering what would be ample. 30% toward bonds? My biggest concern right now would be that we're entering a lost decade or two with minor growth in stocks and I'd hate to be wasting those years having 90% allocated to them.

The stock market isn't going to stay depressed for two decades.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mobn posted:

Not depressed, but maybe the growth won't be what we've historically seen.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Niwrad posted:

Not depressed, but maybe the growth won't be what we've historically seen.

You know the fed lowered interest rates on long term bonds today? Bonds aren't exactly going to blaze ahead of stocks for returns. Bonds are valued for their stability, not big returns.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Niwrad posted:

My biggest concern right now would be that we're entering a lost decade or two with minor growth in stocks
And if you keep trying to predict the future, your biggest concern in one decade might be that you kept all of your money in bonds during the Post-2012 Boom. Point being, you want to construct a portfolio that you're comfortable with no matter what happens in the future.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I understand. I was mainly going off the advice of 85k who had said he felt that retirement funds are to heavily allocated to stocks. I'm not looking to allocate all my money to one or the other, just find a nice balance for someone who is pretty conservative with his money.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Question regarding maxing out a 401k. My company does a really good matching (I put in 2% and they match that with 8%). On top of that, I have several extra % going into both a Roth IRA as well as a normal 401k. I noticed on my paycheck the other day that it didn't deduct my Roth like it normally does. When I went to check my funds, I found that overall I look like I have right around $16.5k for the year overall and $5k into my Roth. Until now, I wasn't aware there was a limit for the yearly contributions. Since there's still three months left in the year, did I kind of shoot myself in the foot by contributing too much earlier on as opposed to contributing a little less and letting my employer keep matching through the end of the year?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

mobn posted:

Frankly, you don't know that. The fundamentals of the economy are getting worse and worse and given the political climate, there's very little in the way of it getting better.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Shipon posted:

[...] there's very little in the way of it getting better.

Nor do you know that either. Really though, predicting the future isn't something you need to be doing [and shouldn't be doing if you want to keep your money]. Of the books in the OP that I've read, they all suggest creating a portfolio that you don't obsessively check and buy/sell from. A good long-term portfolio in any political or economic climate is one that you only need to check once every couple months.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Niwrad posted:

I think approximately age% in bonds is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Remember you aren't you aren't trying to win the investment game when it comes to retirement, you are just trying to do good enough. Higher bond allocation may mean slightly less return, but it is higher peace of mind with less variance to potentially scare you off your plan.

I'm 26 and have 25% in bonds. When I get near 30 I'll up that allocation.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Unless you have more than $75k, your savings rate has a larger impact on your portfolio value than asset selection. After that point, compound returns take over and you should be much more concerned with what your allocation is. I recommend making a 75/25 portfolio and focus on creating a nice stream of savings into your account. That is where you will get your most value.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mobn posted:

I am sure the Japanese were saying the same things twenty years ago.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

gvibes posted:

I am sure the Japanese were saying the same things twenty years ago.

His point is not that it couldn't happen, but that it's foolish to think that you can predict it one way or another. The more prudent path to take is to pick an appropriate allocation, rebalance at least annually, and stay the course. Overall, the economy has been flat, but sectors have seen growth that you would be able to capitalize on through rebalancing.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

TraderStav posted:

His point is not that it couldn't happen, but that it's foolish to think that you can predict it one way or another.
I didn't take that as his point, but agree with you on the prudent path.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

gvibes posted:

I didn't take that as his point, but agree with you on the prudent path.

You're right, my fundamental reading skills were off this morning. I disagree with him also!

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

TraderStav posted:

Unless you have more than $75k, your savings rate has a larger impact on your portfolio value than asset selection. After that point, compound returns take over and you should be much more concerned with what your allocation is. I recommend making a 75/25 portfolio and focus on creating a nice stream of savings into your account. That is where you will get your most value.

This is the truth.

There are a lot of people who are very :ohdear: about their portfolio with $3,000 - $5,000.

At that point, (assuming it's retirement and not something shorter term) you're just fine putting it in an S&P Index (100% Stocks :frog:) or a Total Bond fund (:psyduck:) It just doesn't really matter that much because when you only have $5,000 your 10% 'awesome' return won't be as much relative to your individual contribution. Don't get me wrong, compounding long term is extremely important but you need to focus first on getting your money in and working for you now rather than finding the magical 14 funds that will create a perfect portfolio.

Do not let the complexity scare you off, focus first on saving the money.

mechanic virus
Nov 14, 2003

Porbosinad!
Is it stupid to keep 20% of your total assets in a standard bank account and the rest in a diversified financial portfolio that is pretty low risk but isn't guaranteed either? I recently got a financial adviser and I'm being setup on a plan that helps with my business so a good chunk of my money will go in mutual bonds and SEP-IRA for tax purposes. For some reason I still feel I should have some money in a standard bank account.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

mechanic virus posted:

Is it stupid to keep 20% of your total assets in a standard bank account and the rest in a diversified financial portfolio that is pretty low risk but isn't guaranteed either? I recently got a financial adviser and I'm being setup on a plan that helps with my business so a good chunk of my money will go in mutual bonds and SEP-IRA for tax purposes. For some reason I still feel I should have some money in a standard bank account.

I would think that depends on how much liquidity you need over a period of time. But perhaps others have a more detailed explanation or understanding.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

downout posted:

I would think that depends on how much liquidity you need over a period of time. But perhaps others have a more detailed explanation or understanding.

6 months of cash in the bank, rest into your investment portfolio is a good start. Provided you don't have any other liquidity needs. Shouldn't your financial advisor be suggesting something? Is he compensated by commission or fees only?

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

mechanic virus posted:

If there is any chance that you might need the money within the next 3 or so years, keep it in the bank, with as little fees and as much interest as possible. As TraderStav said, you need at least a few months of living expenses saved up, in case you lose your job or get sick and can't work. I like to have an additional super-emergency fund in case my car gets destroyed in a flash flood or the fridge dies or I have parking fines/medical bills/whatever at the same time as I'm not working.

More importantly, if it helps you sleep at night, hell yes keep some in the bank. There's no point chucking it all in the stock market if you're going to be frantically micromanaging it and will panic and cash out as soon as the market dips rather than riding it through. I've got a 50/50 split between a Vanguard account and an internet bank account earning 6.5%. That's highly conservative for my age but once I've got a little more in the bank all my new savings will start going into Vanguard.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Where are you getting 6.5%? That's a hell of an interest rate right now.

mechanic virus
Nov 14, 2003

Porbosinad!

T-1000 posted:

If there is any chance that you might need the money within the next 3 or so years, keep it in the bank, with as little fees and as much interest as possible. As TraderStav said, you need at least a few months of living expenses saved up, in case you lose your job or get sick and can't work. I like to have an additional super-emergency fund in case my car gets destroyed in a flash flood or the fridge dies or I have parking fines/medical bills/whatever at the same time as I'm not working.

More importantly, if it helps you sleep at night, hell yes keep some in the bank. There's no point chucking it all in the stock market if you're going to be frantically micromanaging it and will panic and cash out as soon as the market dips rather than riding it through. I've got a 50/50 split between a Vanguard account and an internet bank account earning 6.5%. That's highly conservative for my age but once I've got a little more in the bank all my new savings will start going into Vanguard.

Yea I'm new to this so I told my financial advisor that I'd like to have atleast 20% in the bank just incase something should go terribly wrong but I like to get other opinions as well. As far as being laid off I'm self employed so short of an industry collapse I can't see actually needing that money in 3 years granted everything ran smoothly (knock on wood there is no major medical problems either). Thanks for all the advice guys :)

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Lyon posted:

Where are you getting 6.5%? That's a hell of an interest rate right now.
I'm in Australia, conditions are slightly different here. What's the best you can get in the US?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

T-1000 posted:

I'm in Australia, conditions are slightly different here. What's the best you can get in the US?

1.5%? Maybe?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

silvergoose posted:

1.5%? Maybe?

Ten year bond is below 1.70%, we're all doomed.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
That is, wow, I don't really know what to say. Move out here, I guess?

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

T-1000 posted:

It's all relative. Can you get a 30 year fixed, non-recourse mortgage for ~4%? (I hope not!)

For mechanic virus:

Depending on how old you are and how much 20% is, 20% cash could be a bit too conservative. However, considering that you are self employed you need a much larger safety net than most. Obviously depending on your industry, but there isn't a contractor alive today that wouldn't tell you, if you could afford it, a 1+ year safety net is a great idea.

Without magnitude numbers, or at least relative to how many months of expenses, and background information about industry and age anything is just a rough guess.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've got some free time coming up in the near future and my goal is to actually learn how to invest for the long term. Are the books in the OP still the best ones to read?

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

KennyG posted:

It's all relative. Can you get a 30 year fixed, non-recourse mortgage for ~4%? (I hope not!)
Haha, fair point.

Residency Evil posted:

I've got some free time coming up in the near future and my goal is to actually learn how to invest for the long term. Are the books in the OP still the best ones to read?
I'd say so. I can vouch for The Four Pillars Of Investing and A Random Walk Down Wall St. Amazing books.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

T-1000 posted:

Haha, fair point.
I'd say so. I can vouch for The Four Pillars Of Investing and A Random Walk Down Wall St. Amazing books.

Having worked for, and being a friend of Rick Ferri, I highly recommend all of his books. He absolutely knows his stuff and always has the investor in mind when he writes.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

T-1000 posted:

What's the inflation rate in Australia right now? 6.5% in the bank would be pretty horrible if you're dealing with 7% inflation....

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

flowinprose posted:

What's the inflation rate in Australia right now? 6.5% in the bank would be pretty horrible if you're dealing with 7% inflation....
Off the top of my head , 3-3.5%.

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

Could someone help clarify the 401k limit for me?

Is the $16500 a total limit on personal+employer contributions? My work contributes ~2k regardless of what I put in, and I'm planning to max out the rest. I just can't tell if that means saving 16500 a year or 14500 a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Scissors posted:

Could someone help clarify the 401k limit for me?

Is the $16500 a total limit on personal+employer contributions? My work contributes ~2k regardless of what I put in, and I'm planning to max out the rest. I just can't tell if that means saving 16500 a year or 14500 a year.

$16,500 is the amount your can contribute personally, and employer contributions aren't counted towards that total.