Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
You get tap water at clubs/bars though most of the time if you ask nicely - but that's more for making sure drug users/drunks aren't dehydrated too much I think.

Some McDonald's offer free refills, as did most Subway's until recently. IKEA also has free refills, and they had this offer where you get free coffee/soda (and refills) if you have a Family Card (which you get for free) but they changed it to only coffee (although still, nobody gives a gently caress if you fill your coffee mug with soda).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Square Pair posted:

The beer is awesome. What is nice is that most every city has their own brewery so you get the local stuff and regional beers. I think Bitburger, Becks, and Warsteiner are the main "mass distributed" german beers.

To be honest, even though each city has its own brewery and the beer is always at least decent (except Becks and Co.) it often tastes very much alike, unless you go for some special one, Rauchbier or Schwarzbier for example. A Pils or a Weizen taste almost the same to me in Stuttgart, Munich or Nuremberg, except for some particular brands. But maybe that's because I like belgian beers!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Haven't seen a Flachspüler in years, I think by now it's entirely possible to never come across one even if you don't try.

Huh, here in Stuttgart they are still everywhere. Might depend on where you live I guess.

Glass of Milk posted:

We did get groceries a couple times, so I did have the ability to furnish my own mustard. The ultra pasteurized milk on the shelf was something I didn't expect though. That reminds me, cheese there is amazing and much more variety than on the typical supermarket shelf here. I had pizza a few times and the cheese really was great on it.

What did Europe do before bottled water was a thing? Germany and Austria both had excellent tap water as compared to where I live, so I guess I'm surprised they're wary of it. I also don't get the carbonation thing.

You'll find even better cheese in France or Italy for that matter! :v:
And the carbonation is for it to be more refreshing, I guess. The "no free tap water in restaurant thing" is typically german though, not european. Everywhere else you'll easily get it for free.

flavor posted:

[Some German language bullshit of no international interest:]
Und natürlich kenne ich Max Goldt und auch die Passage über das Anrufen. Wäre toll, wenn es einen deutschsprachigen Thread gäbe ohne Tourismus und das ewige "Helft Sie bitte mein Deutsch" (jaja, ich weiss ja, ich bin gemein), das jede schöne Diskussion abbricht, die man gerade hat. Einfach nur zum Rumfräsen.

Deutsches Unterforum!

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

flavor posted:

[Some German language bullshit of no international interest:]
Und natürlich kenne ich Max Goldt und auch die Passage über das Anrufen. Wäre toll, wenn es einen deutschsprachigen Thread gäbe ohne Tourismus und das ewige "Helft Sie bitte mein Deutsch" (jaja, ich weiss ja, ich bin gemein), das jede schöne Diskussion abbricht, die man gerade hat. Einfach nur zum Rumfräsen.

Ich würde ja jetzt nen dämlichen Spruch von Mario Barth posten (ich hasse den), aber dann würde ich wohl abgemahnt werden.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Du schreibst "in den See mit einem Gewicht an den Füßen" aber komisch, was für eine Asterix-Übersetzung hast du gelesen?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

flavor posted:

Kennt eigentlich jemand hier Fil?
Aber sicher! Das erste, was ich gesehen habe, als ich frisch in Berlin angekommen in den Comicladen gegangen bin, war "Endstation Mars" in der Auslage, was ich in meiner Unwissenheit damals noch für irgendwelches Zeug gehalten habe, das man nicht unbedingt kennen muß (gekauft habe ich dann glaube ich 4 Bände Preacher :doh:). Etwas später hing im Schaufenster dann aber eine Fil-Zeichnung, die - apropos Asterix - aber dermaßen über die neueren Asterix-Geschichten hergezogen ist ("Üderzo 'at sisch zwei Jahrön an die Pfeif' gespült ünd donn ün einöm Mönat diesön Scheiss zusammöngekritzölt"), daß ich doch mal reinschauen mußte und meinen Fehler fast sofort erkannt habe. Hängt glaube ich heute noch im Modern Graphics an der Wand.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

elwood posted:

Ich würde ja jetzt nen dämlichen Spruch von Mario Barth posten (ich hasse den), aber dann würde ich wohl abgemahnt werden.
Na das hilft mir ja enorm weiter, ein vager Hinweis auf einen Spruch von einem Komiker, von dem ich (nach den konsistent negativen Bewertungen seiner Person hier wohl zum Glück) noch nie gehört habe.

Also in der Bibliothek von Alexandria ist ein Buch verbrannt, das meine Antwort enthalten hätte.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Nicht quatschen...machen.

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

flavor posted:

Na das hilft mir ja enorm weiter, ein vager Hinweis auf einen Spruch von einem Komiker, von dem ich (nach den konsistent negativen Bewertungen seiner Person hier wohl zum Glück) noch nie gehört habe.

Auch wenn ich dich um deine Unwissenheit beneide... wie um alles in der Welt kann man dem entgehen? Der Mann ist präsenter Werbeträger, hat das Olympiastadion ausverkauft (ich glaube sogar mehrfach), wird aus mir völlig unerfindlichen Gründen zu öffentlichen Kulturdebatten eingeladen und ist nicht zuletzt der gefeierte Held des aggressiv inoffensivem Trivialhumors ("Ich find den so toll, der ist nicht so schmutzig und arrogant wie wo so andere Komiker sind.")

Welche, von der Massenmedienkultur abgeschottete, Enklave bietet die mögliche dieses Phänomen des intellektuellen Massenmords nicht zumindest sporadisch wahrzunehmen?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Einfach den Fernseher nicht einschalten? Ich schau eh nur noch die Nachrichten und öffentlich-rechtliches Programm. Hab den Mann schon seit Jahren nicht mehr gesehen. :)

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Glass of Milk posted:

What did Europe do before bottled water was a thing?

Probably the same thing that people in America did. Carried a canteen (the water container thingy soldiers use).

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

hankor posted:

Welche, von der Massenmedienkultur abgeschottete, Enklave bietet die mögliche dieses Phänomen des intellektuellen Massenmords nicht zumindest sporadisch wahrzunehmen?
Die Barth-freie Zone heisst L.A. :). Ich lese zwar zumindest bei größeren Ereignissen deutsche Websites und halte Kontakte zu diversen Freunden, aber Mario Barth war bis jetzt kein Thema.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Broken Dictionary posted:

Probably the same thing that people in America did. Carried a canteen (the water container thingy soldiers use).

No, it was usually wine or beer. Water used to be badly contaminated with germs, before the tubes for waste and fresh water - if they even existed - were separated. There is a reason why being sent to prison on water and bread alone was considered a particularly harsh punishment.

The water used to brew beer is boiled and wine sterilizes itself, bypassing that problem.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ArchangeI posted:

No, it was usually wine or beer. Water used to be badly contaminated with germs, before the tubes for waste and fresh water - if they even existed - were separated. There is a reason why being sent to prison on water and bread alone was considered a particularly harsh punishment.

The water used to brew beer is boiled and wine sterilizes itself, bypassing that problem.

We aren't talking about the middle ages or the Aufklärung here, you dumb rear end.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

flavor posted:

Welcome to inaccurate food marketing. One of the most puzzling examples here in the US is the Wienerschnitzel chain, which has never ever ever sold Wiener Schnitzel (writing it as one word is wrong).

The best part is that it used to be called Der Wienerschnitzel. Also I distinctly remember a promotion where they used made up words like 'derlicious.'

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Nobody is weary of the tap water. Lots of people drink tap water. But not in a restaurant. Pay for your loving drink, drinking free tap water is communism.

The thing I hate about paying for drinks is it's so god drat expensive. I go to a restaurant with friends for lunch and we order food and a glass of cola (or Apfelschorle or carbonated water or whatever) and it's like almost like 2 god drat Euro for a 0,3 L glass. Then they bring it out to you and you start drinking it and next thing you know, your cola is all gone before your food even got there. Then you think, 'poo poo, do I buy another overpriced drink to wash this schnitzel down?'

Give me free tap water and/or free refills any day.

This picture is actually wrong. A lot of places are doing a 'any size = 99 cents' promotion nowadays.

vvv nah 64 oz is only 0.5 gallons :smug:

Ziir fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 21, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Literally drinking gallons of sugar water.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

Ziir posted:

The thing I hate about paying for drinks is it's so god drat expensive. I go to a restaurant with friends for lunch and we order food and a glass of cola (or Apfelschorle or carbonated water or whatever) and it's like almost like 2 god drat Euro for a 0,3 L glass. Then they bring it out to you and you start drinking it and next thing you know, your cola is all gone before your food even got there. Then you think, 'poo poo, do I buy another overpriced drink to wash this schnitzel down?'

This picture is actually wrong. A lot of places are doing a 'any size = 99 cents' promotion nowadays.

I'd be pissed too if the smallest size of beverage I was used to was close to a liter.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

hankor posted:

I'd be pissed too if the smallest size of beverage I was used to was close to a liter.

Nah our 'small' is usually 12 oz or 16 oz I can't remember. There's also the kids size which is the same as your guys's 'small.'

e: I'm not saying or advocating drinking gallons of sugar (I stopped drinking this stuff regularly even), but if I'm going to pay for a drink at a restaurant I'd rather pay for beer or cola because I'm not paying for water cause I can get it for free, and I hate the taste of apples (and even with cola, I can buy 1 L at Netto for 1€ vs whatever they charge for 0.3 L, and as much as I like beer I don't wanna be drinking it all the time. Plus beer is 70 cents at Netto or 1.10€ at the kiosk across the street… so I usually just get dehydrated unless I bring my own water which I usually do now).

Ziir fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 21, 2011

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Ziir posted:

Ew, no. I miss Apfelschorle. And Weißweinschorle.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
The only place I know that offers free water no questions asked is a small korean wok place. The water they have is Bio-Water (whatever the gently caress that means).

DeusEx
Apr 27, 2007

Restaurants make their bottom line on drinks, not on food.

Asking for free water, without ordering any other drink, like wine, makes a very odd, cheapskatey impression.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DeusEx posted:

Asking for free water, without ordering any other drink, like wine, makes a very odd, cheapskatey impression.

:qq: we're angry we can't rip you the gently caress off with our overpriced drinks :qq:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

DeusEx posted:

:qq: I'm sorry I'm not making the correct impression on the waiters and owners of the restaurant due to my outrageously unreasonable demands. After all it is they who I came here to impress :qq:

If you have foreign tourists coming, you better be ready to accommodate to their reasonable expectations. And it's not unreasonable if foreign tourists expect you to do what is common in many parts of the world. You also can't expect them to know your precious cost/pricing structure.

In closing, this is one of the shittiest aspects of Germany (kinda like the ubiquitous dog poo poo in some of the bigger cities) and going through mental contortions to defend this makes you look silly.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

flavor posted:

If you have foreign tourists coming, you better be ready to accommodate to their reasonable expectations. And it's not unreasonable if foreign tourists expect you to do what is common in many parts of the world. You also can't expect them to know your precious cost/pricing structure.

So the number one priority of any country should be to not upset some dumbass tourists who are too stupid to understand that things don't work the same way as they do at home? Yeah, right.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I'ma go to the states and drink in public, it's perfectly normal where im from I hope the cops aren't going to be too angry!

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's telling of an establishment that refuses to serve a customer a 1 cent glass of leitungswasser

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

flavor posted:

You should bring this up the next time an US waiter/waitress complains about tourists not tipping enough...

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Previously on GBS posted:

So the number one priority of any country should be to not upset some dumbass tourists who are too stupid to understand that things don't work the same way as they do at home? Yeah, right.
It's stupid not to understand and ignorant not to know the difference between ignorance and stupidity. And sure, everything that's ever criticized is implied to be the number one priority and can therefore be dismissed safely without any hyperbole involved. You're criticizing my post? Well I'll get right on fixing it! Like I've got nothing else to do!

niethan posted:

I'ma go to the states and drink in public, it's perfectly normal where im from I hope the cops aren't going to be too angry!
I'ma gonna compare something that's illegal in many countries to something that's a strange custom in one.

westborn posted:

You should bring this up the next time an US waiter/waitress complains about tourists not tipping enough...
Tipping is customary in a lot of countries, so it's reasonable to expect most tourists to do some minimal research on the tipping customs of a specific country.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

flavor posted:

It's stupid not to understand and ignorant not to know the difference between ignorance and stupidity. And sure, everything that's ever criticized is implied to be the number one priority and can therefore be dismissed safely without any hyperbole involved. You're criticizing my post? Well I'll get right on fixing it! Like I've got nothing else to do!
It's often impossible to tell whether you're serious or trolling so hyperbole seems like an okay way to respond.

flavor posted:

I'ma gonna compare something that's illegal in many countries to something that's a strange custom in one.

Neither is drinking in public illegal in all that many countries nor is not providing tap water for free something that's limited to Germany. Still, that bullshit money that's all the same color and size might be a better example.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

flavor posted:

Tipping is customary in a lot of countries, so it's reasonable to expect most tourists to do some minimal research on the tipping customs of a specific country.

Do research on tipping but don't do research on what is seen as complimentary when ordering a meal, got it buddy. Anything else we should change about our country because it's different from what a lot of countries do?

In a lot of countries it's perfectly fine to breast feed in public so I'm sure people in the countries where it isn't will be ok with it, I'm a tourist after all.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

It's often impossible to tell whether you're serious or trolling so hyperbole seems like an okay way to respond.
Arguing against the majority of a thread is automatically "not in good faith" or "trolling". Gotcha.

Neither is drinking in public illegal in all that many countries
The number doesn't really matter, it's the illegality. If you go to another country, it's obviously much more in your interest to know what is illegal than what is just a tiny transgression in a restaurant.
I actually tried to find out the number of countries that allow and forbid it, but couldn't find a good article about it. The Wikipedia article only talks about some major countries and says that it's forbidden in all Islamic ones, but does not give any numbers.

nor is not providing tap water for free something that's limited to Germany. Still, that bullshit money that's all the same color and size might be a better example.
Yeah. We can never talk about any non-US subject without flinging poo poo at the US. Ridiculous.

I wasn't going to put Germany on trial, I was criticizing one tiny negative aspect that some people here are defending like their lives depend on it. Chill. I'm not at all saying it's a bad country as a whole.

hankor posted:

Do research on tipping but don't do research on what is seen as complimentary when ordering a meal, got it buddy.
I honestly have to say that when I travel to a new country, I try to find out about tipping rules so as to treat the waiters right, while the question of what's included is something I can let slip because it only affects a minor part of the check. My main problem is calling people tremendous idiots for not knowing every last peculiarity of a country they may just be visiting for a few days.

hankor posted:

In a lot of countries it's perfectly fine to breast feed in public so I'm sure people in the countries where it isn't will be ok with it, I'm a tourist after all.
Yeah, asking for water in a restaurant is exactly like making GBS threads on main street (to add to the hyperbole).

You probably don't want a serious answer, but here is one anyway: People who work in restaurants that are frequented by foreign tourists can be reasonably expected to know what some of them might expect without getting all butthurt about it. When you breastfeed in public in another country, that'll affect people who are just passing by and aren't in the tourism industry.

hankor posted:

Anything else we should change about our country because it's different from what a lot of countries do?
It's actually not such a bad idea to evaluate one's idiosyncrasies from time to time. That applies to all people and all countries. (Cue the next remark about how terrible the US is.)

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

flavor posted:

Arguing against the majority of a thread is automatically "not in good faith" or "trolling". Gotcha.
Nothing to do with that, just the inanity your statements.

flavor posted:

Yeah. We can never talk about any non-US subject without flinging poo poo at the US. Ridiculous.

I wasn't going to put Germany on trial, I was criticizing one tiny negative aspect that some people here are defending like their lives depend on it. Chill. I'm not at all saying it's a bad country as a whole.

Are you one of those German immigrants that had bit much of the USA!USA! Kool-Aid? That is so... German.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Nothing to do with that, just the inanity your statements.
Right, and no need to substantiate that claim.

Are you one of those German immigrants that had bit much of the USA!USA! Kool-Aid? That is so... German.
Yeah, exactly. That I don't think some irrelevant, arbitrary comment about US paper money immediately negates the subject at hand for everybody (including non-US tourists who visit Germany) does mean exactly that.

I'm not going to waste my time trying to prove that I'm not this ridiculous character you're imagining in order to somehow assimilate the fact that somebody is disagreeing with you.

And sorry for not hating everything here. Or in Germany.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
This thread is sooooo retarded at the moment.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah maybe we should move on. Imagine the irony of a thread about Germany getting gassed. :hitler:

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
You are right, a partly heated argument about tap water is rather stupid (even though our tap water is awesome).

So how about that pope visit guys?

Does the fact that we let him speak in the Bundestag really undermine the principle of the separation of church and state? Do we pamper him too much?

I agree that he get's quite a bit of attention but personally I think it has more to do with the fact that he's simply a very influential person with deeply rooted ties to our history and culture. While he may be the first head of a religion that is allowed to speak in the Bundestag who else is actually a head of a religion that could have spoken before him? The only person I can think of is the Dalai Lama but letting him speak there would've lead to some major trouble with china, yet he was allowed to meet with the delegates there so there is that.

vvvv Have a look at what Phoenix is showing in the next couple of days, they raise some interesting points without pointless pope bashing.

hankor fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 23, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Yeah, I don't get why people are getting so worked up about this. And he is also the head of a state.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

He isn't coming as the head of state though. I think it's loving ridiculous to give him all that attention with the medieval mindset he and his organization propagate.

I'm wondering what other heads of state have spoken in the Bundestag so far (apart from the German ones I mean). I remember when Obama wasn't even elected yet they made a huge deal of letting him speak in front of the Brandenburger Tor.

I wonder if he'll meet Westerwelle though.

(oh I just noticed we've gone from tipping to religion discussion in one page. We're not helping to keep this thread out of the gas chamber, guys :v: )

DeusEx
Apr 27, 2007

Insert obligatory molested altar boy joke here.

On a more seeious level: The Bundestag is within it's full rights to invite anyone, if they chose to do so by majority, as are it's individual members to abstain from honoring the visit. It's an even more stupid hyperbole than the one over the congratulations to Castros birthday by the Linke.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

Zwille posted:

I'm wondering what other heads of state have spoken in the Bundestag so far (apart from the German ones I mean).

Quite a few actually.

Nixon, Reagan, Mitterand, Mandela, Gorbatschow, Bush sen., Chirac, Putin, Bush, Juschtschenko, Katsav, Peres and maybe a couple more that I didn't recognize right away.

http://www.bundestag.de/service/glossar/R/reden_gast.html

Just in case anybody has missed the speech: http://www.bundestag.de/dokumente/textarchiv/2011/35768399_kw38_benedict/index.jsp

Zwille posted:

I wonder if he'll meet Westerwelle though.

Nope, the awkwardness would have been fun though.

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/AAmt/Leitung/TermineBM_node.html

hankor fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

niethan posted:

Having been asked to step out of my car at gunpoint for failing to have my hands at 10/2 on the wheel during a traffic stop in the beautiful state of Alabama, I fully endorse this.

And concerning the pope, I really couldn't give less of a poo poo. Didn't have too much nerve to get dragged into the seperation of church & state argument over the last days, but I did find it fairly entertaining that abuse was only briefly adressed by the pope (big surprise) and Wulff pretty much read him the catholic rap sheet during his speech.
Sly motherfucker.