Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Wing Commander question:

I'm using Pinnacle Profiler to control the game with a 360 gamepad and it works great, except that when I move the stick slightly to the left the game acts like it's stuck moving left and won't stop until I move it further or in another direction. I've tried messing with the dead zone but that isn't the problem. Has anyone had to deal with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

radintorov posted:

Nah, it's just that you are a Bard.

You also can't have more members than your Avatar's level, IIRC. So you have to be level 2 to have a companion, 3 to have two, and so on.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Does Wing Commander 3 make reference to the Wing Commander 2 expansions or am I fine without them?

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Elmo Oxygen posted:

You also can't have more members than your Avatar's level, IIRC. So you have to be level 2 to have a companion, 3 to have two, and so on.

I'm like level 3 right now anyway, since all I've been doing is picking a direction, killing a lot of monsters then getting poisoned and dying on my way to Lord Infinite Heal (I literally died crawling my way to his throne the other day).

So if I can't get a companion I'd like to get things rolling ina town that I can, plus I'm kind of sick of britain. Anyone got a town I should head twoards?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

OptimusShr posted:

Does Wing Commander 3 make reference to the Wing Commander 2 expansions or am I fine without them?

None that I can think of. In fact, WC3 makes very few references to either of the previous two games after the first few minutes.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

So if I can't get a companion I'd like to get things rolling ina town that I can, plus I'm kind of sick of britain. Anyone got a town I should head twoards?

Well, it depends if you want to learn how the Moongates work.
If not, from Britain, you can get to Yew, Trinsic and Minoc, respectively the towns of Justice/druids, Honor/paladins and Sacrifice/tinkers.
Yew is to the NW of Britannia, in the middle of a huge-rear end forest, so that might not be the best place to go, Trinsic is way south, along the eastern coast, so it's probably the easiest one to find/reach; Minoc is to the NE, near the coast, nestled between the mountains, so it's not as easy to find as Trinsic, but easier than Yew.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

macnbc posted:

None that I can think of. In fact, WC3 makes very few references to either of the previous two games after the first few minutes.

Some inferences are made re. Blair's history with Tolwyn and Paladin but it doesn't require you to know that backstory for it to make sense.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Also Hobbes is originally from one of the Secret Ops missions from WC1, so kinda. You don't really need to have played anything other than 3 to understand what's happening though, as others have said.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

I'm like level 3 right now anyway, since all I've been doing is picking a direction, killing a lot of monsters then getting poisoned and dying on my way to Lord Infinite Heal (I literally died crawling my way to his throne the other day).

Poison is one of the biggest killers in the game as it doesn't go away naturally. Stay away from swampland tiles. There is a low level spell called An Nox which you can cast as a bard to cure yourself in emergencies. The ingredients for it should be listed in the manual.

You should get a fighter to help you out. Head south from Britain to the town of Trinsic and recruit Dupre.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Everyone posted:

WC3 answers

Thanks, I played Secret missions from the freeware release on Wing Commander CIC but not Special Operations. Will have to pick up WC3 next month after I pay my credit card bill

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Smol posted:

It was also recently added to Steam (€3.99/$5.99). Looks like it includes Resistance but not Red Hammer.

If I recall, Red Hammer was developed internally at Codemasters so chances are they just had no claim to it or something. Still sucks, but Resistance was the better of the two by far.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Been playing a bit of Flashpoint. Why does General Angry Nintendo Nerd keep yelling at me in between missions that I'm a lovely soldier and he will court marshal me?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Incoming and Incoming Forces is on sale for $2.39.
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/incoming_incoming_forces/

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I stopped playing Resistance after the second or so mission where you have to somehow kill five soldiers with a pea shooter or else rat out a guard.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Incoming and Incoming Forces is on sale for $2.39.
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/incoming_incoming_forces/
I was almost going to buy this but Windows 7 isn't down on the compatibility thing.

Just out of interest, does anyone know how well these games hold up? I was pretty addicted to them about around 8/9 years ago but I don't remember much about them other than that they were loving awesome.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Alright I'll head for Trinsic next,and I'll stay away from swamp tiles, thanks.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Gorn Myson posted:

I was almost going to buy this but Windows 7 isn't down on the compatibility thing.

Just out of interest, does anyone know how well these games hold up? I was pretty addicted to them about around 8/9 years ago but I don't remember much about them other than that they were loving awesome.

Seems like there's at least a good chance it'll work:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/incoming_incoming_forces/does_incoming_work_on_windows7_x64

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Gorn Myson posted:

I played the poo poo out of Incoming whenever it came out in the 90s and I just beat my Gog version last month actually. Windows 7 as well, although I can't guarantee it'll work for everyone. I recommended it a bunch of times in this thread raving about how awesome it was but a few Goons chimed in saying it wouldn't even start so I kind of felt bad. Also, mouse input is 100% guaranteed to be hosed but this game is a blast when played on just a keyboard (which makes it a great laptop game) so I won't count that against it, I think it's almost better as a keyboard only game actually!

As for how it holds up: I felt like I was 13 again, blasting hundreds of thousands of aliens and rocking out to the awesome music. :v: The graphics are charming in that goofy sci-fi, kickass-90s-game way and the soundtrack goes with it perfectly. Pop in your VHS copy of Independence Day as you save Earth from those evil jerkotron aliens to complete the nostalgia trip.

Oh and the best part was that it turned out the disc I had for this game wasn't actually the full version (I think it came free with our Compaq back in like 1995) so that meant I had a ton of new levels to play through as well.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mq posted:

Been playing a bit of Flashpoint. Why does General Angry Nintendo Nerd keep yelling at me in between missions that I'm a lovely soldier and he will court marshal me?

Yeah, I just started some of the campaign and while I remember these sequences from the original Op:FP, I believe you really had to gently caress up some key objectives of a mission without outright dying/failing completely to get them. The AI seems to be all sorts of hosed up between 1.96 (Op:FP) and 1.99 (Arma: CWA). I mean, it was never very good, but I see squad mates running way ahead of formation with constant cries from the officer for them to fall back in, some guys even run off into the hills to chase that retreating guy they were ordered to target five minutes ago. It seems like Colonel Blake's hissy fits about your performance is now based off the AI in your squad as well as your own, which frankly--with the current (heh) state of the game--sucks dick. I guess it's also possible that you'll get his little cutscenes after every mission as a bug all its own. I only played the first mission, though, but I still don't remember loving up bad enough to hear from him very often.

Also, there seem to be quite a few extra game breaking bugs throughout many of the Single Mission levels. A lot of radio-call squads doing nothing when you call them in, or having no control over soldiers who should be under your control, or soldiers you're commanding simply ignoring orders. I'm no stranger to the bugs of Op:FP, I just don't remember the game stopping ones being this frequent. poo poo, I just barely made it through ropes course training in the first mission because the waypoint nav wasn't reading my movements correctly. I had to run the course 6 times before it finally registered.

treat fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 22, 2011

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
I did notice some general bugginess. I had to restart the first mission twice because the briefing cutscene with the leader wouldn't trigger because everyone would immediately start yelling about hostiles and hit the ground. Then they just were chilling on the ground doing nothing. Finally it worked but the helicopter that dropped us off crashed into the nearby tress for no discernible reason.

From then it worked alright aside from that guy yelling at me until one mission when everyone was told to get into the truck.Before half of the guys (including me) could get in, the leader just drove off to the next objective and we had to run after him on foot while he berated us for leaving formation. Then the russians blew up his truck.

Pretty fun otherwise.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Alright I'll head for Trinsic next,and I'll stay away from swamp tiles, thanks.

poo poo, now I need to play Ultima 4 again. Maybe this time I'll actually make it into the dungeons instead of just wandering arond the map.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
There's some press conference thingy later today, where they will discuss GOG stuff and the new version of Witcher 2. I hope they announce they've convinced yet another publisher.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Hank Morgan posted:

Poison is one of the biggest killers in the game as it doesn't go away naturally. Stay away from swampland tiles. There is a low level spell called An Nox which you can cast as a bard to cure yourself in emergencies. The ingredients for it should be listed in the manual.

You should get a fighter to help you out. Head south from Britain to the town of Trinsic and recruit Dupre.

Are we talking ultima 4 or 5? Since someone else just said "now I'm going to play U4" I wanted to clarify that in 4, the spell is just 'C'ure, and the reagents should be A+C iirc.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ymgve posted:

There's some press conference thingy later today, where they will discuss GOG stuff and the new version of Witcher 2. I hope they announce they've convinced yet another publisher.
Please oh please let it be LucasArts so we can have TIE Fighter and X-Wing. I'd love to play both. Or X-Wing Alliance.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

From what I can tell, they are going to do some kind of a birthday celebration (3 years old) and will probably hint, not announce a new developer in the pipeline. I'm guessing they will also unveil the next batch of EA games.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 22, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Finally finished Gothic 2 yesterday, after 67 hours of playing. Definitely have a hate-love relationship with that game.

On to Messiah!

Shouldn't the conference have started by now, btw? Ustream says another hour.:confused:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Finally finished Gothic 2 yesterday, after 67 hours of playing. Definitely have a hate-love relationship with that game.

On to Messiah!

Shouldn't the conference have started by now, btw? Ustream says another hour.:confused:

Starts at 12 EST, 1600 GMT

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 22, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The time doesn't take account DST, so it's actually another extra hour.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
All I want is Outlaws, and I'll be not only firing up an old game, but looking up old college buddies to shoot at.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Usually if they sign a new publisher they tease the announcement for days and days in advance, so I've got a feeling there's not going to be anything earth-shattering out of the conference today.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard

GOG posted:

Note: unfortunately there won't be a new release today, but watch the conference as we'll have some surprises for you.
Boo. Maybe at least there will be some anniversary promo.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

glug posted:

Are we talking ultima 4 or 5? Since someone else just said "now I'm going to play U4" I wanted to clarify that in 4, the spell is just 'C'ure, and the reagents should be A+C iirc.

Yes, you are right. 5 has the spells tied to the magic words so An Nox would be entered as A and N. 4 just has the alphabetical name C for cure. In both cases the player needs the reagents (ginseng and garlic) as detailed in the magic book part of the manual in order to mix the spell.
The advice for avoiding swamps applies to both but in V you can get a magic carpet in LB's castle early on to avoid that problem. I can't rightly remember the best way to pass over them safely in 4 though.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here we go
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cd-projekt

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

No new publishers, but apparently there are deals in the making.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Broken Sword is going to be free for 48h (e. after 6 million customers).

Witcher 2 is going to have a 29$ promo soon.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 22, 2011

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kennel posted:

Is that a worrisome dip or just a return to normal levels dip after the flurry of the EA stuff?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Most likely it's from Witcher 2.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

D&D games up to 60% off this weekend.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Smol posted:

D&D games up to 60% off this weekend.

That is sort of an evil sale, since I see it and I'm like, "Oh I don't really need to play Demon Stone or Dragonshard," and then I remove them from the list and I notice they are pennies off the total. Why would you do this to me GOG :(

Guess I'm out $34.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I already had four of the games (NWN, ToEE, Baldurs Gate 2 and Planescape) but I still grabbed the rest, this is a great deal and it was only £13 for the ones I was missing. I can't wait for the free Broken Sword too. This has actually been a bunch of really good announcements.