Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If your problem is your left foot, you should try CHEATING by just using the outside edge of the right foot to stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

sellouts posted:

If your problem is your left foot, you should try CHEATING by just using the outside edge of the right foot to stop

I find myself stopping with the outside edge of my right foot almost all the time and I really do feel like it's CHEATING because it's keeping me from getting better at stopping correctly.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

sellouts posted:

When I turn left I want my right foot forward and left foot back right? I just for whatever reason have no sense in how to position my weight and find myself putting too much weight on my back foot and leaning back which probably means I need to bend my knees more. I have no clue.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I have always had problems stopping left as well, something about translating the motions of the right stop to the other side just fails in my brain. Even standing still, sliding my skate across the ice to dull the blade after a sharpening or whatever, it feels completely natural on the right foot and completely foreign on the left.

Anything right-related I can do smooth as silk, and my left crossovers and forward-to-backwards transitions are OK, but god help me if I have to stop.

The more I think about it the more I fear getting back in to hockey, haha. WHAT IF I AM SO BAD NOW :ohdear:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lizardking posted:

When I turn left I want my right foot forward and left foot back right? I just for whatever reason have no sense in how to position my weight and find myself putting too much weight on my back foot and leaning back which probably means I need to bend my knees more. I have no clue.

Transitioning from rollerhockey?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My loving hip.

Won a tough fought game, we were down 4-0 and ended up winning 5-4.

Small skilled guy (strong on his skates) submarined me infront of my own net with like 5 seconds remaining in the game. I was skating from the dot to the opposite end corner and he backed up and hip checked me, caugh his hip right in my thigh/hip area, and then he helped me up, I wanted to hit him so bad.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

lizardking posted:

Your inside foot should lead. When turning left, your left foot should lead, but your right foot should carry the majority of your weight.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Just got an email that my Vapor X7.0 LE's are with UPS, supposed to be delivered on tomorrow! Just in time for me to miss my Thursday game because of work!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Does anyone have a stick bag they're looking to sell? Need one for an upcoming trip in a few months. There's gotta be some ex travel hockey players here who don't use their stick bag anymore!

I hate buying new equipment.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

sellouts posted:

Does anyone have a stick bag they're looking to sell? Need one for an upcoming trip in a few months. There's gotta be some ex travel hockey players here who don't use their stick bag anymore!

I was going to suggest that you just tape the bastards together and check them that way. Then I remembered that my sticks have gotten lost on two different continents when I did that, and both times I had a bitch of a time explaining what it was I lost.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Played in back-to-back games tonight. The EARLY game was at 9:15. Second game started around 10:30. Six periods of hockey plus a shootout in the second game (this league doesn't do an OT period and we use 5 shooters instead of 3). Played on the wing in the first game and we lost by a goal, played D in the second and we won the shootout. Maybe it's just because I was warmed up, but I felt like I skated better overall in the second game. I was reading the ice better and making better decisions. Anyone else ever notice that when they play back-to-back games?

Bloody gently caress, I love this game.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you can keep your energy and intensity up ... I loved skating in the 2nd game more than the 1st.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

sellouts posted:

I hate buying new equipment.
I'll ask my parents next time we talk if they still have mine lying around somewhere. Probably not, but I'll check.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Played in back-to-back games tonight. The EARLY game was at 9:15. Second game started around 10:30. Six periods of hockey plus a shootout in the second game (this league doesn't do an OT period and we use 5 shooters instead of 3). Played on the wing in the first game and we lost by a goal, played D in the second and we won the shootout. Maybe it's just because I was warmed up, but I felt like I skated better overall in the second game. I was reading the ice better and making better decisions. Anyone else ever notice that when they play back-to-back games?

Bloody gently caress, I love this game.

Yup. This is almost always the case for me. Likewise if I either played hockey or did something physical (weight training, tennis, etc...) the day before. I just feel more coordinated the second time around.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Me: "Hey have you heard anything from that guy in your class about the hockey team?"
GF: "I will ask."
~
GF: "He called, you have a game tomorrow night."
Me: :catstare:

I am fuckered. Still have to get a new visor, mouth guard, sharpen my skates, and somehow complete 1-2 months of conditioning in the next 24 hours!

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Pleads posted:

Me: "Hey have you heard anything from that guy in your class about the hockey team?"
~

I am fuckered. Still have to get a new visor, mouth guard, sharpen my skates, and somehow complete 1-2 months of conditioning in the next 24 hours!

Hydrate. Now.

That's all I got. Good luck!

Third Edition
Nov 25, 2008

Pleads posted:

~

That was me last weekend. Except I had to buy absolutely everything except for a pair of skates a teammate had lying around. Playing the wing, I ended up gassed by the first intermission. I suppose it didn't help we had two lines and I was smoking heavily earlier that day. Next game I played D, which we had 3 lines of, and I survived into the first.

Coming from someone that hadn't played in 12 or so years, holy gently caress is it fun.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I put together a team this season and our first game was tonight. It was a total bitch finding enough guys and then coordinating payments, transportation, etc, but it all paid off when we won 7-5! It's been a long time since a legit win too, so it feels extra special. Glad I had the forethought to pack a cooler full of beers to the locker room also.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Loqieu posted:

Glad I had the forethought to pack a cooler full of beers to the locker room also.

The best coach/organizer.

This is how you keep people coming back, I'm really surprised more teams/rinks don't do this. If it keeps up, get ready for word to get around and members of the other team popping by to commiserate about the game until someone offers them one.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

sellouts posted:

The best coach/organizer.

This is how you keep people coming back, I'm really surprised more teams/rinks don't do this. If it keeps up, get ready for word to get around and members of the other team popping by to commiserate about the game until someone offers them one.

All the arenas I have played in have had strict no-alcohol policies in the dressing rooms. This really doesn't stop teams from drinking in the rooms anyway, but if some players are dumb enough to toss their empties in the garbage bin, look out for a few games suspension for your team.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I've been on two teams that have a strict beer schedule handed out at the start of each season.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Our league banned alcohol in the locker room after one team had a party with strippers. We just had to be more secretive after that, no empties in the trash can, etc.

We got in trouble once for going on the ice too early so we bought the rink rat a case of beer and all was forgiven.

Basically it's impossible to get rid of, but the league just covers their asses in case something stupid happens.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

dyn posted:

All the arenas I have played in have had strict no-alcohol policies in the dressing rooms. This really doesn't stop teams from drinking in the rooms anyway, but if some players are dumb enough to toss their empties in the garbage bin, look out for a few games suspension for your team.

Yeah, we have a no-alcohol policy but just pack the cans out.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Pleads posted:

Our league banned alcohol in the locker room after one team had a party with strippers.
Now that is living.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
My buddy explained the phenomena of beer in the locker rooms one day. "Do you really think they need 6 locker rooms for 1 surface of ice? It's because on any given day teams will stay wayyyy later than it takes to change for beer drinking." Suddenly it made sense.

Our rink is the same when it comes to beer drinking: see it in the garbage and your team suffers a suspension. I'm getting sick of beer cans rattling around my bag because of that rule. Victim of my own laziness, I suppose.

First game of our season tonight. The team we are playing against steamrolled another team last week in a 5-0 victory. Our team had a by and last played together over a month ago. I'm loving scared, man.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Habibi posted:

Now that is living.

My college team coach once brought us a keg.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

19 o'clock posted:

My buddy explained the phenomena of beer in the locker rooms one day. "Do you really think they need 6 locker rooms for 1 surface of ice? It's because on any given day teams will stay wayyyy later than it takes to change for beer drinking." Suddenly it made sense.

Our rink is the same when it comes to beer drinking: see it in the garbage and your team suffers a suspension. I'm getting sick of beer cans rattling around my bag because of that rule. Victim of my own laziness, I suppose.

First game of our season tonight. The team we are playing against steamrolled another team last week in a 5-0 victory. Our team had a by and last played together over a month ago. I'm loving scared, man.
I'm sure there are, but I'm having trouble thinking of a rink that has more than 4 locker rooms per ice surface.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
When I played in England it was customary for each team to bring a case of beer. Each team captain would select a man-of-the-match from the opposing team after the game and award the case to him. It's the only element of the English game I would support exporting.

I think what I'm saying is that rinks in the US are prudish.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Green Submarine posted:

I think what I'm saying is that rinks in the US are prudish.

I remember when playing ice hockey used to mean something. We have a sport where adults strap on a 2mm width of steel and blitz around a surface of expensive ice hurling hardened rubber at the clerk from the produce department for points. And we have rules against drinking post game? Not in MY America.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Rinks that are super strict about alcohol -- by chance do they sell it at the rink?

One rink I played at switched policies when they got their liquor license.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I signed up for an adult skills clinic because i suck and have played a total of 1 time in the last year and a half. I'm back in minnesota though so I'm here to report that we have lots of rinks.

http://www.nscsports.org/facilities/superrink/index.stm

Harhar.

Seriously though i'm looking forward to it. First class is in a few hours.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

Rinks that are super strict about alcohol -- by chance do they sell it at the rink?

One rink I played at switched policies when they got their liquor license.

One of our local rinks is run by the city, so they'll never sell beer or technically allow it.

The other one is privately owned but I can't see it ever selling beer. They probably depend way too much on kids events and people in Tennessee are really "Oh lord, demon drink, think of the children!"

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Because of this thread, I signed up adult skating classes that started a few weeks ago. I'm also looking at the NESHL rookie league that starts in mid-October. It's been 20+ years since I last played hockey.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EvilTwig posted:

Because of this thread, I signed up adult skating classes that started a few weeks ago. I'm also looking at the NESHL rookie league that starts in mid-October. It's been 20+ years since I last played hockey.

Congrats! That's fantastic! I went from never even having been in ice skates before last April to playing in two leagues this fall and I'm having more fun doing this than I would have ever thought possible.

Some of you may remember a while back I posted about one of our local rinks going under. The bank found someone to run it temporarily while they look for a buyer -- the last I heard there were at least nine interested buyers but I have no idea where that stands. The rink reopened back in August and is totally committed to hockey. The old rink tended to favor figure skaters, but the new managers only offer like two hours of freestyle time a week. The rest of the time is given over to stick-n-puck, pickup, league play and team practices. They tore out the old snack bar and front desk and completely re-did the ice. Our local NHL team lent their ice crew to the rink to help (considering the team uses it for an alternate practice rink, they had a vested interest in having a good ice surface), so we now have NHL-caliber ice to skate on. The eventual plans are to add a pro shop (the old rink had a figure-skating pro shop but nothing for hockey) and a sports bar (run by a retired former NHLer, no less). One of the leagues I'm in plays there and it's incredible how much has changed in a few short months. I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Lunch league "A" league starts tomorrow. I'm a 6/10 (the lowest level allowed) and nervous as poo poo. In preparation, I'm downing Avery Brewing Company's Old Jubilation like it's Gatorade. Half these guys used to play college.

Maybe if I fight some dudes...

e: Seriously. Where all my CO goons at?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 23, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I might be in Colorado.. next year! If I can find a job!

Because gently caress Illinois, that's why.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

I might be in Colorado.. next year! If I can find a job!

Because gently caress Illinois, that's why.

You're from the Midwest, so you can come. What kind of work do you do?

Er...gently caress. Also you can't be a Jay Cutler fan. They check that at the Kansas line.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 23, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
THEY CAME!

Like $2,000 in skates, ugh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

You're from the Midwest, so you can come. What kind of work do you do?

Er...gently caress. Also you can't be a Jay Cutler fan. They check that at the Kansas line.

IT guy.

Cutler's okay, I'd like to see him do well, but I don't think it's gonna happen in Chicago. I'm a big Orton fan though, does that help?

(I won't budge on hockey though, I will be one of those jackasses showing up at an Avs game wearing a Blackhawks shirt)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Congrats! That's fantastic! I went from never even having been in ice skates before last April to playing in two leagues this fall and I'm having more fun doing this than I would have ever thought possible.

Some of you may remember a while back I posted about one of our local rinks going under. The bank found someone to run it temporarily while they look for a buyer -- the last I heard there were at least nine interested buyers but I have no idea where that stands. The rink reopened back in August and is totally committed to hockey. The old rink tended to favor figure skaters, but the new managers only offer like two hours of freestyle time a week. The rest of the time is given over to stick-n-puck, pickup, league play and team practices. They tore out the old snack bar and front desk and completely re-did the ice. Our local NHL team lent their ice crew to the rink to help (considering the team uses it for an alternate practice rink, they had a vested interest in having a good ice surface), so we now have NHL-caliber ice to skate on. The eventual plans are to add a pro shop (the old rink had a figure-skating pro shop but nothing for hockey) and a sports bar (run by a retired former NHLer, no less). One of the leagues I'm in plays there and it's incredible how much has changed in a few short months. I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us.

That's awesome, I'm super jealous. I read something somewhere about running hockey rinks that said that since the upfront building costs are so high the only way a rink becomes profitable is that a series of people try to run it and fail until eventually someone can buy it cheap enough that they can make it work.