Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Jook posted:

nothing decent, sorry.. after thinking about it a bit I believe it worked so well with that jumping spider because it was inside a closet (multiple walls/close ceiling) so there was a lot of bounce. It's still great material for diffusing though and I plan to try to work it into my new lovely setup which is now using a paper towel on a cut up pringles can - bracket/diffuser inspired by this.

Shot this today with that setup. I believe this is a fruit fly, about 1/4th the size of a regular house fly. It's sitting on a bicycle wheel spoke.

Wow this is great. What set up are you using for these? I tried to peek at the exif data but there wasn't any. I have the 100mm L macro and I'm thinking of getting the extension tubes in the distant future, hopefully I can do some similar things with that set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Jook posted:

nothing decent, sorry.. after thinking about it a bit I believe it worked so well with that jumping spider because it was inside a closet (multiple walls/close ceiling) so there was a lot of bounce. It's still great material for diffusing though and I plan to try to work it into my new lovely setup which is now using a paper towel on a cut up pringles can - bracket/diffuser inspired by this.

Shot this today with that setup. I believe this is a fruit fly, about 1/4th the size of a regular house fly. It's sitting on a bicycle wheel spoke.

Light is a little hard, try putting your diffuser closer to your subjects or, alternatively, getting a larger diffuser (both have their pros and cons).

fake edit: oh right, you're going for a new design, hadn't noticed.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

Crosspost from SAD. Broke out the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro for the first time in forever. It was a nice sunny day.

Garden Spider by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Hanging On by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Jook
Jul 16, 2002

somnambulist posted:

Wow this is great. What set up are you using for these? I tried to peek at the exif data but there wasn't any. I have the 100mm L macro and I'm thinking of getting the extension tubes in the distant future, hopefully I can do some similar things with that set up.

Canon t1i - Tamron 90mm + Tamron 2x teleconverter (just got this.. still need to do some tests to see how much IQ I'm losing by using it) - I can't check now but this was probably shot @ f16, 1/125, iso 200 with a cheap Yongnuo flash at 1/32 power directly above the lens diffused through a paper towel. I still have a lot to learn and a lot to tweak but I'm having a lot of fun. You could do this too with your setup, easily.

seravid posted:

Light is a little hard, try putting your diffuser closer to your subjects or, alternatively, getting a larger diffuser (both have their pros and cons).

fake edit: oh right, you're going for a new design, hadn't noticed.

Yeah.. I'm already looking to destroy some tupperware and use up even more duct tape.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Jook posted:

Yeah.. I'm already looking to destroy some tupperware and use up even more duct tape.

Building diffusers is fun, I must have tried at least 8 different designs looking for that perfect light (still haven't found it). I used a tupperware diffuser a while back, had good results with it (lined with aluminum foil and, of course, plenty of duct tape).

Dof way too thin, I know, but I was going for maximum resolution (larger aperture = less diffraction) and I'd say it was worth it:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
More closeup than true macro.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

jumping spider by Adam McCarthy, on Flickr

So hard to shoot...

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

Well, I shot with a macro lens anyway.

Toad hello. by nickgatens, on Flickr

Toad goodbye. by nickgatens, on Flickr

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I got some cheap extension tubes. What lens will I be best using on them for maximum zoominess? I have a 8-16, 30, 50, 17-50 & 70-200.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

A5H posted:

I got some cheap extension tubes. What lens will I be best using on them for maximum zoominess? I have a 8-16, 30, 50, 17-50 & 70-200.

My guess would be the 50 (1.8? 1.4?). No point in putting it on something wider, you'll be faster than the 17-50 (2.8?), and macro with a zoom can be pretty frustrating which would suggest against the 70-200. You could try it on the 70-200 as well, since 50 is a little short, depending on what you'd like to shoot. Maybe lock the zoom if you can. So yeah, one of those two.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

The 70-200 + one or two tubes is a popular combo for larger flying subjects (e.g. damselflies). For smaller ones, BetterLekNextTime is right, the 50 is your best bet.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Anyone use a 60D here for insects in the wild? How useful is the movable LCD screen?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Alctel posted:

Anyone use a 60D here for insects in the wild? How useful is the movable LCD screen?

I do use it, but not all the time. I find it handy 1) when I'm hand-holding and the bug is < knee level, and I'd basically have to be on my belly to use the viewfinder or LCD otherwise, and 2) if the bug or flower is super still, ~ waist level or lower, and I'm using a tripod.

I find myself using the viewfinder or normal position screen when I can, but there is some minority of the time when having the flip-out screen makes things a lot more convenient.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I just brought home a Canon EF 100mm 2/8L IS, and first impressions are awesome!

I haven't tried macro photography before, so the shallow DOF wide open is surprising (even if I have read about it), but this is by far the sharpest lens I have ever used, plus it's light yet feels very solid (it's plastic).

Test shots to follow over the weekend, but I'm very excited! Now, all I need is some light...

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes
Bought a reverse ring for my old 50mm Pentax lens and some cheap extension tubes. I do not yet have an external flash, but i really need to buy one as soon as possible.

Hämähäkki 5 by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Leppäkerttu by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Jook
Jul 16, 2002

Rovasti posted:

Bought a reverse ring for my old 50mm Pentax lens and some cheap extension tubes. I do not yet have an external flash, but i really need to buy one as soon as possible.

you're doing pretty good without one.. if you want to go cheap make sure to check out Yongnuo.. I've got the 468 which does E-TTL and most everything else you'd want for <$100 usd.

A few new shots from over the weekend..

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Rovasti posted:

Just bought a reverse ring for my old 50mm Pentax lenses too! Need to figure out whether the f2 or the f1.4 I have works better with it, but the ring hasn't come in yet.

I did get a free uv filter with my nikon 35mm f1.8 though, I might make a homemade reverse mount to mess with in the meantime.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Reverse ring showed up :neckbeard:

DSC_0037.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0040.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0042.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Really need to figure out a good lighting system. Or at least to buy a lamp. Wound up just using my phone as a flash light for these shots, which worked surprisingly well.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Woah what lens?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

A5H posted:

Woah what lens?

Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm reverse mounted to a nikon 35mm 1.18g. I've also got a 1:2 50mm pentax lens and my 18-55VR nikon lens that I use with this reversing ring, so I'm going to be spending a while figuring out what combo works best.

e. I don't know if the 18-55 will get as sharp of a picture, but my big problem with the 35mm lens is that you wind up seeing the barrel of the 50mm lens that's attached to it, so you wind up with only the very center of the frame usable.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 20, 2011

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I am having a shitter of a time finding a macro flash bracket in Ottawa or on ebay, even the Manfrotto 330b seems to be out of stock everywhere (tried 3 camera shops)

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

That sucks Alctel.

The one I have is the Hakuba LH-1 (sometimes listed as LH1 or L-H1). They're usually quite common on ebay, I was shocked to find there are none currently on there.

Good luck finding one man. They're a great bracket, especially for the price.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Olympus e-520 with a 70-300mm.

I love taking macro shots, but most of mine don't come out that great.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Danoss posted:

That sucks Alctel.

The one I have is the Hakuba LH-1 (sometimes listed as LH1 or L-H1). They're usually quite common on ebay, I was shocked to find there are none currently on there.

Good luck finding one man. They're a great bracket, especially for the price.

Yeah, that was my first choice :)

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Alctel posted:

Yeah, that was my first choice :)

I have a flash bracket that I can sell you:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=737249&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview

Not sure how much to ship to Canada but I would take 15+shipping

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Man I love this reversed lens, although lighting is a bitch. The thing focuses about a centimeter or two away from the subject, so my pop-up flash is generally useless. I had some good luck using my hat to bounce the flash back at the subject for some of these though.

Science is pretty Rock and Roll. by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0048.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Testing my 70-200 f/2.8L with max extension tubes. Sheeeit, it's got some thin depth of field.

Macro Test 70-200 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

I really love dragonflies. My goal is to get a good picture of one flying.

Dragonfly 2 by Concerned Reader, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Summer is almost over, and I regret not taking the macro lens out more often.

Photowalk 110922-7 by Execudork, on Flickr

Buprestid by Execudork, on Flickr

Dragonfly 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Pacific Tree Frog by Bryn Tassell, on Flickr

Jook
Jul 16, 2002
I've only gotten a dragonfly to stay still once.. I chase (stalk) those bastards all the time and it's like they're loving with me - creep up, focus, about to shoot and bam, gone.

Some new shots from earlier this week:

spiders! (1,2)

Spanner
Mar 2, 2006
Just picked up my Kenko tubes first go at close up stuff.
I didn't realize strawberry seed were such ugly little blood sucking beasts.
Hairs and snorkels!!

Strawberry Seeds Macro by Rusty_1, on Flickr

I cant place it but i am not getting what i want from this picture below, i still really cant tell where the focus point is, possibly a soft lens.
i had to sharpen the poo poo out of it to get it to come out.
But saying that these components are very small, the purple block in the middle is about .25mm long.

Board by Rusty_1, on Flickr

Spanner fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 26, 2011

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Studebaker Hawk posted:

I have a flash bracket that I can sell you:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=737249&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview

Not sure how much to ship to Canada but I would take 15+shipping

Not really as flexible as what I am looking for, thanks though

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Has anyone here tried to put together something like this? http://blog.blazingangles.net/soapbox/2011/03/diy-ring-flash-with-an-optical.html

If you can get it to work, it seems like a cheep but good DIY solution.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know what is happening in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAdgMbE9LLI

I would love to get the EXACT same setup happening. We just purchased a Canon XS + 60mm f/2.8 Macro to take macro shots of crystal samples. We take between 10 and 12 macro shots with different focal points and then stack them in CombineZP.

Right now we AF on a base grid, disable AF and place our sample, then start to increment focus by 1 or 2 clicks and take photos incrementally.

I'd love to automate this, hence why I'd love to find out how the guy in this video might have done it.

It looks like he's got some sort of automator going on in the bottom there, but I can't tell what it is :(

Jook
Jul 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I'd love to automate this, hence why I'd love to find out how the guy in this video might have done it.

I've had this bookmarked for awhile as I've wanted to try it but haven't yet.. no idea if it's the same one as in the video but it's free and claims to do what you want.

http://milosparipovic.com/index.php/dlsr-bracketeer/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jook posted:

I've had this bookmarked for awhile as I've wanted to try it but haven't yet.. no idea if it's the same one as in the video but it's free and claims to do what you want.

http://milosparipovic.com/index.php/dlsr-bracketeer/

Thanks so much! I'm working in a different lab until next week but I'll give this a shot as soon as I humanly can :)

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I got a Canon 100mm Macro.

From a 5dmk2 - click for big:

The colors are a bit off, but this was just screwing around and trying my first hand at true macro / stacking, so I'm not terribly concerned.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

Did a macro walk the other day.

Striper by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Shrooms by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Hopper by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Orb Weaver by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Bloom by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

MrOpus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Those are some really great shots there MrOpus!