Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

nickmeister posted:

Sure, they work when the guy is exhausted and his face has caved in from five rounds of punching, but on an opponent of equal or greater size/experience and a decent amount of energy?

It's a blood choke, it turns off your brain. If it doesn't, the person isn't doing it right.

edit: I realized, as has happened with discussions of moves before, that some people might not know exactly how an arm triangle works. Your bicep hits the one carotid, and their shoulder hits the other. If you don't trap your partner's arm with your head properly then nothing hits one side, and you don't get the blood choke. The D'Arce and the anaconda are harder to get properly, since you don't have as much control of your partner's arm, but the placement is just as important as with the arm triangle. For all three, if your partner's bicep is under the chin, then the shoulder is hitting a carotid and you should get the blood choke. If their bicep is on their face or ear, all you're doing by still trying to finish is a neck crank.

generatrix fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
ESPN3 is streaming FILA World Championships right now. For anybody who wants to watch.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

Yeah, but when you're rolling in class it's still not a nice thing to do :)

Lol, I agree with you and its not something I would aim for. I'm just saying it still counts as a submission in a tournament.

Also, are we getting trolled over the arm triangles not being chokes?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

nickmeister posted:

Maybe he's like me, cause I don't believe in arm triangles.

Thanks for letting us know to ignore anything you have to say about grappling.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

westcoaster posted:

Lol, I agree with you and its not something I would aim for. I'm just saying it still counts as a submission in a tournament.

Also, are we getting trolled over the arm triangles not being chokes?

Either trolling or ignorance there's no way they're no an effective submission in mma machida used on to finish sokujou, lesnar to finish carwin, in my 2nd class ever I got arm triangled from the bottom.

If its put on properly it works.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Haha I can just see a guy blacking out while repeating to himself, Tony Robbins style, that, "this is not a real submission and he will not fall unconscious and pretty soon he'll get right out and show this id-... what happened?"

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

nickmeister posted:

Sure, they work when the guy is exhausted and his face has caved in from five rounds of punching, but on an opponent of equal or greater size/experience and a decent amount of energy?

It doesn't work when people do it wrong. Also, like any move, it can be harder to pull one off on somebody depending on a variety of physical factors.

I never tap to Americanas but that's because I'm insanely flexible and nobody loving does them right anyway. Not because Americanas don't work.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
If you have broad shoulders/neck and big arms, getting put in an arm triangle is the worst feeling, especially from side control. Can't reach the person with my legs, can't shrimp or buck, It's just awful.

Stuck in Elevator
May 27, 2007
It's not so bad, there's a Czech newspaper in here.
Just back from my first BJJ tournament I mentioned the other day. Ended up coming fourth in my weight class out of 19, winning 4 and losing 2 (to the eventual winner and the guy who came third, beating me in the bronze final).

Fun times, even managed a safe judo throw which got my third fight off to a nice start, and used my judo in reverse to beat a fellow judoka in the standing (fending off attacks to pull guard), cheers for the tips guys.

You didn't prepare me for the adrenaline dump after my first fight though, christ.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Stuck in Elevator posted:

Just back from my first BJJ tournament I mentioned the other day. Ended up coming fourth in my weight class out of 19, winning 4 and losing 2 (to the eventual winner and the guy who came third, beating me in the bronze final).

Fun times, even managed a safe judo throw which got my third fight off to a nice start, and used my judo in reverse to beat a fellow judoka in the standing (fending off attacks to pull guard), cheers for the tips guys.

You didn't prepare me for the adrenaline dump after my first fight though, christ.

Sounds like you had a good time, grats.

No one can prepare you for an adrenaline dump not everyone gets them either you'll learn to work on your nerves the more you compete. I learned to get over that back in football days and playing music in bands. Just find a way to relax before you compete.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Good work mate. Colour me jealous.

TwistedNails posted:

No one can prepare you for an adrenaline dump not everyone gets them either you'll learn to work on your nerves the more you compete. I learned to get over that back in football days and playing music in bands. Just find a way to relax before you compete.
I'm absolutely terrified of adrenaline dumps. I get it just training sometimes, I don't know if thats lame or it just means I love training and give it all I've got so I don't know how well I'll fare at a competition. One way to find out I guess.

We just had Judo state championships here in Aus and I didn't get to go, I haven't trained for over a month now but one of my senseis got 3rd and a bunch of guys took home golds in their divisions and often second place went to someone at our club too. I feel like I'm the only one not taking advantage of our clubs pedigree. I'm going to tell one of senseis that I want to compete next year and I'll stop loving around in class and ask him what I have to do and all that. They really respond to that sort of stuff. I don't actually gently caress around in class, but it seems like the right thing to say.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Wow, either my instructor is a mind reader or he reads somethingawful. I was preparing myself for my 'I wana be a fuckin fighter!' speech, and he yells 'andrew, whats your weight?' and I thought he must have meant a different andrew because he wouldn't need to know my weight but he was talking to me. Turns out theres a tournament coming up for orange and green belts and I'm only yellow but he said he'll be signing me up!
The very same night I had my whinge (on here) about wanting to compete! I only have to drop 4 lbs to hit the weight class below me so I'll be doing that. He said theres one early Oct and one late Oct. I'm excited as gently caress. I've always wanted to post a trip report.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 19, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
It's me, mate. I'm your coach.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

niethan posted:

It's me, mate. I'm your coach.
I've waited for years to hear you say that.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I was going to write up some sort of preview for next weekends ADCC, but someone else already did and I agree with most of it:

http://thejiujitsulab.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/adcc-2011-preview/

The only thing I'd add to this is that once again ADCC hasn't done a very good job with regards to handing out invitations. While there hands are somewhat tied by the fact that they only allow one person per team(unless they're automatic qualifiers like in the case of Frazzato and Mendes or Xande and Poupolo) the fact remains that there are multiple guys in each division who aren't nearly as deserving as some of the guys who will be sitting at home.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

I was going to write up some sort of preview for next weekends ADCC, but someone else already did and I agree with most of it:

http://thejiujitsulab.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/adcc-2011-preview/

The only thing I'd add to this is that once again ADCC hasn't done a very good job with regards to handing out invitations. While there hands are somewhat tied by the fact that they only allow one person per team(unless they're automatic qualifiers like in the case of Frazzato and Mendes or Xande and Poupolo) the fact remains that there are multiple guys in each division who aren't nearly as deserving as some of the guys who will be sitting at home.

I agree with most of it too, but I'm very surprised he's picking Sperry. He spent the past two or three years only training casually once or twice a week while he ran his import export business, while Renzo has been training full time for the last decade and actively competing. That's a big gulf to bridge.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I agree with most of it too, but I'm very surprised he's picking Sperry. He spent the past two or three years only training casually once or twice a week while he ran his import export business, while Renzo has been training full time for the last decade and actively competing. That's a big gulf to bridge.

That's a good point, if this match had been made on shorter notice I'd pick Renzo easily. But Sperry was better in his prime and he's a lot bigger too, so if he's in shape and sharp it's a tough match for Renzo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
This is my shocked face. I am shocked.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

That pic makes it look like Filho has stumps instead of hands.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
I competed in a very small tournament this past Saturday. Here is my one match in my division, as it was only me, my teammate, and my competitor. He was very tough, choking me from all angles, but I came through on points. I felt good overall, considering I was on the defense the entire time. I am in the white gi.

http://youtu.be/FUutzbbudIg

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

hopper2k posted:

I competed in a very small tournament this past Saturday. Here is my one match in my division, as it was only me, my teammate, and my competitor. He was very tough, choking me from all angles, but I came through on points. I felt good overall, considering I was on the defense the entire time. I am in the white gi.

Nice work. Good passing pressure and it looked like you stayed very calm.

Next time someone hangs onto your collar when you've mounted, don't bother breaking his grip; just armbar him.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

hopper2k posted:

That was really good!

Unless you have a superlative guard, I really feel that most people shouldn't pull guard. When you pulled guard, you had to do all that extra work of defending the choke and sweeping him to get on top. Once you had top position, the world was your oyster, and it looked like you had a much easier time of things.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

That was really good!

Unless you have a superlative guard, I really feel that most people shouldn't pull guard. When you pulled guard, you had to do all that extra work of defending the choke and sweeping him to get on top. Once you had top position, the world was your oyster, and it looked like you had a much easier time of things.

Well, there's two sides to that - once you get to blue and purple, you're getting into the areas where you can be fighting guys with serious wrestling and/or judo experience, and at that point it's also not unreasonable to say that unless you have superlative takedowns, most people shouldn't try too hard to fight for one - if your opponent is one of the (many) people who will be exponentially better in that area, you'll have needlessly put yourself two points down, expended energy, and be on the bottom anyway.

One thing I do advocate is never just pull guard - because unless you really catch your opponent off guard they're going to do what hopper2k's opponent in the video did, get good grips and a knee in and have a headstart to passing (like I recommended to Stuck In An Elevator earlier in the thread). Shoot a double, and if they defend sit back to butterfly guard off their sprawl, shoot a single and pull deep half while you already have a good grip on the leg, attempt a tomoe-nage and recover to closed if they defend, etc, etc. All of those force your opponent to initially address something else so that when you do pull guard they aren't instantly setting up to pass and you can often put yourself in position to immediately sweep.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Well, there's two sides to that - once you get to blue and purple, you're getting into the areas where you can be fighting guys with serious wrestling and/or judo experience, and at that point it's also not unreasonable to say that unless you have superlative takedowns, most people shouldn't try too hard to fight for one - if your opponent is one of the (many) people who will be exponentially better in that area, you'll have needlessly put yourself two points down, expended energy, and be on the bottom anyway.

One thing I do advocate is never just pull guard - because unless you really catch your opponent off guard they're going to do what hopper2k's opponent in the video did, get good grips and a knee in and have a headstart to passing (like I recommended to Stuck In An Elevator earlier in the thread). Shoot a double, and if they defend sit back to butterfly guard off their sprawl, shoot a single and pull deep half while you already have a good grip on the leg, attempt a tomoe-nage and recover to closed if they defend, etc, etc. All of those force your opponent to initially address something else so that when you do pull guard they aren't instantly setting up to pass and you can often put yourself in position to immediately sweep.

Good advice!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I got some pretty good advice from my old instructor on guard pulling in tournaments. This is for white belts that don't come from wrestling or Judo:

Take your round time and multiply by .25. Spend whatever that time is looking for a takedown. If you don't have any success after that time has passed, start looking to pull guard, preferably off of a failed takedown attempt (as Fatherdog already laid out).

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
How does one get better at folkstyle wrestling when they're out of school? I just started bjj and some high schooler wrestled the poo poo out of me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Become good friends with wrestlers and work out with them, or maybe find a wrestling club.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I got some pretty good advice from my old instructor on guard pulling in tournaments. This is for white belts that don't come from wrestling or Judo:

Take your round time and multiply by .25. Spend whatever that time is looking for a takedown. If you don't have any success after that time has passed, start looking to pull guard, preferably off of a failed takedown attempt (as Fatherdog already laid out).

I'm not so sure I agree with this. If you want to chain your guard pulls to takedowns like Fatherdog talked about that's cool, but I feel like before each match you should have a game plan and unless something drastic happens you should try and stick to it.

In my case both my passing and especially my takedowns aren't nearly as good as my sweeps are so standing for the first 1:30 of the match doesn't really make a ton of sense. If on the other hand your takedowns and passing are the best part of your game then you probably shouldn't pull guard unless you think your opponent is going to take you down.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Also ADCC brackets are up:

http://www.adcombat.com/news/2011-09-22/adcc-world-championships-2011-official-brackets

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Huh, Monson vs Cyborg in the first round. Monson does seem to have been slipping lately, I guess.

Also I'm interested to see Palhares vs Avellan in the likely event they each get past their first matchups.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

fatherdog posted:

Huh, Monson vs Cyborg in the first round.

nope :ssh:

I had no idea Palhares was competing in ADCC. I'm gonna hope against the odds that he makes the finals so he can fight Popovitch for title of world's broadest and most muscular Brazilian.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Huh, Monson vs Cyborg in the first round. Monson does seem to have been slipping lately, I guess.

Also I'm interested to see Palhares vs Avellan in the likely event they each get past their first matchups.

Palhares vs Avellan is a really interesting fight. Actually under 88 and under 99 are both wide open. at under 99 Xande could win his division, or he could lose to Lagarto in the second round and Braga Neto vs Assis is a tough one to call too(actually with the new weigh in rules I'm a bit surprised that Braga Neto is at under 99 kg).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

nope :ssh:

:doh: I can't read

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

Palhares vs Avellan is a really interesting fight. Actually under 88 and under 99 are both wide open. at under 99 Xande could win his division, or he could lose to Lagarto in the second round and Braga Neto vs Assis is a tough one to call too(actually with the new weigh in rules I'm a bit surprised that Braga Neto is at under 99 kg).

It's interesting that Rani stayed at 66kg considering how drained Kid Peligro was reporting he looked after weighins last tournament.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

dokomoy posted:

I'm not so sure I agree with this. If you want to chain your guard pulls to takedowns like Fatherdog talked about that's cool, but I feel like before each match you should have a game plan and unless something drastic happens you should try and stick to it.

In my case both my passing and especially my takedowns aren't nearly as good as my sweeps are so standing for the first 1:30 of the match doesn't really make a ton of sense. If on the other hand your takedowns and passing are the best part of your game then you probably shouldn't pull guard unless you think your opponent is going to take you down.

The key is that its a strategy for white belts, who probably have not competed before and are primarily there to gain experience. They aren't really good at anything, or at most have vague ideas of what they want to do.

The idea is if you standup for a small part of the round, you are gaining some familiarity with that stage of the fight, but still giving yourself enough time to pull guard and win if it doesn't work out. If you go out looking to pull guard right away, you never really get that experience which is really the point of competition at white belt level, since no one really cares if you're the best white belt in the world or get tapped in the first minute.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
ouch, the two swedish women we have participating are meeting kyra gracie and the monster weilbacher in their respective first rounds :(

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fatherdog posted:

It's interesting that Rani stayed at 66kg considering how drained Kid Peligro was reporting he looked after weighins last tournament.

The new weigh in rules are going to be super tough for guys like Rani. On the one hand making 66 kg isn't going to be easy for him, but on the other hand he'd probably be the smallest guy at 77.

Xguard86 posted:

The key is that its a strategy for white belts, who probably have not competed before and are primarily there to gain experience. They aren't really good at anything, or at most have vague ideas of what they want to do.

The idea is if you standup for a small part of the round, you are gaining some familiarity with that stage of the fight, but still giving yourself enough time to pull guard and win if it doesn't work out. If you go out looking to pull guard right away, you never really get that experience which is really the point of competition at white belt level, since no one really cares if you're the best white belt in the world or get tapped in the first minute.

I totally glossed over the part about it being specifically for white belts, if your just starting out it's a much better idea than I thought.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

The new weigh in rules are going to be super tough for guys like Rani. On the one hand making 66 kg isn't going to be easy for him, but on the other hand he'd probably be the smallest guy at 77.

Well at least he'd be the same size as Leozinho

But yeah he's in a rough spot. I think Cobrinha had a hard time with weight last time too, but he's probably dieted down more this time. Rani doesn't necessarily have that option because of his mma career.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

hopper2k posted:

Congrats on the win, and nice video!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Thanks for the replies on my match. Right now, I have been more comfortable fighting for a takedown (which I am horrible at), but if I don't seem comfortable with it, I will just pull guard. Since late last year, I got into a habit of straight up pulling guard without trying for a takedown, which did not lead to the best results. So I figure, I want to now play a top game, but yet I still pulled guard because I did not feel confident enough to play the stand up fight game and use up a lot of energy. This is something I need alot of work on. I want to be relentless in taking an individual down, and just control from the top. But, if I feel my opponent is better in that situation than I am, I will feel just fine with guard, or even half guard.

But yeah, I did not expect my opponent to try and choke me out from every angle, no one that I train with goes for 90% of those chokes. But, it's all a learning experience of course, and I know to never let someone establish a grip of any kind.

And I am incredibly excited for ADCC. Of course, I will be rooting for Rodolfo Vieira, since he is out of our affiliate gym in Brazil, GFTeam. He was training wrestling at our gym a couple of weeks back, and is an extremely nice and humble individual. I'm throwing an ADCC viewing party at my place over the weekend. Looking forward to a lot of great competition.