Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A work buddy bought an archos 5 (point & laugh, I did) & is pissed off with it already, but too late to return it. I'm not familiar with rooting etc, but is there anything he can do to put a better os than (crippled)1.6 on it & get market access?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I just upgraded my HTC Desire (UK T-Mobile) to version 2.3.3 on the HTC dev website, is it still possible to root the phone in its current state?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ExcessBLarg! posted:

LOTS of iptables/ssh/vpn sneaky tethering info on the last page.

Thank you a lot for all this. I'm going to have to try it. Now it's my turn to say it: You're like a god of Android knowledge.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm at my wits end with this T-Mobile MyTouch 3G v1 (no headphone jack), sapphire pvt 32b SHIP S-ON G.

I'm beginning to believe my mistake was using ROM Manager to flash CWR onto it. I've been reading that everyone recommends Amon RA recovery. Here's what's stopping me from flashing that though:

1) The phone won't boot, so that eliminates using a terminal, or flashing it with flashrec.apk.
2) I installed the .2005 SPL from this XDA thread but it still has S-ON. Isn't it supposed to be S-OFF once I flashed that SPL?

So without S-OFF I can't use fastboot to flash Amon RA recovery either. I've searched for hours, but I can't find a way to either get AmonRA recovery flashed, or somehow start over from scratch.

EDIT: I got S-OFF! I flashed the .2005 SPL again and immediately booted to hboot and it says S-OFF now. But I'm at work and don't have ADB. Is there any way to use fastboot and/or flash AmonRA recovery without ADB installed on the computer?

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 22, 2011

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I'm running CM7.1RC1 from almost 3 months ago on my MT4G/Glacier. For the most part, it's rock solid, and I've been really happy with it. Have there been any features that have snuck into the nightlies recently? I'm looking for an excuse to flash, but I don't want to risk bugs with no benefit.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

yamdankee posted:

EDIT: I got S-OFF! I flashed the .2005 SPL again and immediately booted to hboot and it says S-OFF now. But I'm at work and don't have ADB. Is there any way to use fastboot and/or flash AmonRA recovery without ADB installed on the computer?

Can't you just put the recovery in the sdcard as an update.zip and then boot into the bootloader? It should automatically flash the zip.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Mark Larson posted:

Can't you just put the recovery in the sdcard as an update.zip and then boot into the bootloader? It should automatically flash the zip.

I can just rename the recovery .img to "update.zip" and boot into hboot? I thought that worked for radios but I've never heard of that to flash a recovery. This won't screw anything up?

Edit: Just tried it and it scrolled through saying it was looking for "SAPPIMG" files and found none.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 22, 2011

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
So the long-awaited Gingerbread release for HTC Thunderbolt is out, but it says it's for nonrooted phones. I am rooted. Who/where should I be paying attention so I can get the rooted version?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

So the long-awaited Gingerbread release for HTC Thunderbolt is out, but it says it's for nonrooted phones. I am rooted. Who/where should I be paying attention so I can get the rooted version?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1272424

XDA is the usual source for this kind of stuff. Just make sure you only ever read the OP.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Penguissimo posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1272424

XDA is the usual source for this kind of stuff. Just make sure you only ever read the OP.

Cool, thanks. Anybody here willing to hold my hand through this? I followed the YouTube guide for rooting my TB, but I'm just not comfortable doing this sort of stuff without a clear step by step in front of me. I do have superuser and titanium backup already installed. I'm just looking for a stockish 2.3 experience, maybe with less bloatware.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Do I need to partition my SD card if I want to move apps to my SD card? I am running CM7 and have always been confused about this. N1 here.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

kri kri posted:

Do I need to partition my SD card if I want to move apps to my SD card? I am running CM7 and have always been confused about this. N1 here.

It's built in now. I'm not sure what the benefits of using A2SD vs the built in method would be. But if you go into Settings>Manage Applications>App there is a move to SD button now. Just don't do it with anything that has a widget.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

deong posted:

It's built in now. I'm not sure what the benefits of using A2SD vs the built in method would be. But if you go into Settings>Manage Applications>App there is a move to SD button now. Just don't do it with anything that has a widget.

I assume he's talking about real Apps2SD. This installs everything to your SD card. I did it via LastInLine's instructions earlier in this thread and I've still got tons of room to install apps.

Prior to rooting, I did the Settings>Manage Applications>App>Move to SD Card thing on every single app that supported it, and I was still out of space.

So...kri kri, hopefully you can find LastInLine's instructions earlier in this thread, or he'll pop up and give you some pointers.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

yamdankee posted:

What radio do you have now?

I *think* you need to match the radio and SPL, you don't want to use the older SPL with the newer radio

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kri kri posted:

You do if you want to use real a2sd, but if you just want Froyo a2sd like deong was talking about then no, you don't need a partition.

The N1 has such limited space that it's silly to not use a true a2sd solution. Here are the instructions Thermopyle was referring to. While simple2ext might be easier in your case, I don't have any experience with it so I'm hesitant to recommend it over something I understand more fully.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
drat. Is the N1 really that gimped?
I don't install a ton of apps it seems, so that might be part of it, but I rarely ran out of space on my old Hero.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

deong posted:

drat. Is the N1 really that gimped?
I don't install a ton of apps it seems, so that might be part of it, but I rarely ran out of space on my old Hero.

Apps have gotten a lot bigger since then. The latest G+ update is 24 megs (!)

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

LastInLine posted:

Can anyone running CM7 nightlies on a Nexus One confirm or deny that bluetooth is hosed up? I hadn't been able to pair with my Plantronics Voyager Pro for quite a while so I deleted the pairing and now it won't even discover it. My laptop refuses to pair with the N1 in any of the available modes.

The headset and laptop paired up just fine so I know it's the phone, I just want to know if it's my install or everybody.

Edit: Now that the girl's up I tried discovering/pairing with her Nexus S and it worked instantly. Now I'm just wondering if it's a Nexus One problem or a LastInLine problem.

N1 CM7 latest nightly, bluetooth is totally hosed. I use a SE MW600 and I can't answer the phone, I lose ALL sound when I disconnect, and until I reboot it won't be resolved.

I scoured the changelog and it sort of seems like depending on who wrote the change, it gets included without review? The bluetooth changes were like this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vaporware posted:

N1 CM7 latest nightly, bluetooth is totally hosed. I use a SE MW600 and I can't answer the phone, I lose ALL sound when I disconnect, and until I reboot it won't be resolved.

I scoured the changelog and it sort of seems like depending on who wrote the change, it gets included without review? The bluetooth changes were like this.
There are five people (I think) who can commit changes without review. Thanks for the confirmation, I'll keep waiting and checking.

Penguissimo posted:

Important to note is that this is 24MB...out of 190MB total.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 23, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

As a former OG Droid owner, this just blows my mind. It's not like flash storage was super-expensive in late 2009. What the hell harm would it have done for OEMs to throw a full gig of app storage on there? Did they just assume that the Froyo A2SD would solve the problem forever?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Penguissimo posted:

Out of interest how do you see how much space is allocated to apps? I never ran into any issues with my old HTC Magic even with a few biggies like G+, Docs to go etc. Perhaps it had a bigger app partition.

Penguissimo posted:

As a former OG Droid owner, this just blows my mind. It's not like flash storage was super-expensive in late 2009. What the hell harm would it have done for OEMs to throw a full gig of app storage on there? Did they just assume that the Froyo A2SD would solve the problem forever?

At least some of it was how the space was partitioned.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

dissss posted:

Out of interest how do you see how much space is allocated to apps? I never ran into any issues with my old HTC Magic even with a few biggies like G+, Docs to go etc. Perhaps it had a bigger app partition.
If you go to Settings: Storage, it should tell you how much is free under "Internal Storage". I think the Manage Applications screen can give you a figure for /data, which is effectively the app partition. A quick Google reveals that the Magic had about a 300 MB /data partition, which would explain why N1 (and the poor Desire) owners hit problems way more frequently. And there's absolutely no excuse for Google's first flagship "superphone" to have the same size internal storage as a phone announced nearly a year beforehand. And then they went and partitioned it so it actually had less space for apps!

dissss posted:

At least some of it was how the space was partitioned.

Some of it, yeah, but not all. The N1 (and OG) Droid have only 512 MB total of flash storage, which doesn't leave much space once you account for /system and /cache. The Inc, released a few months later, bumped the system storage to a full gig and devoted almost all of the extra to user-installed apps. And to top it all off, they threw in another 8 gigs of internal storage that can be used as an internal SD card. Unless flash memory prices plummeted so far during those four months that HTC could afford to put 18 times as much storage in the Inc while maintaining a similar price point, it's hard to conclude that this was anything but poor decision-making and/or cheaping out.

Hopefully ExcessBlarg! has some more insight into this kind of issue.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 23, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Honestly my only guess is that during the N1's (and Desire's) development they were anticipating most apps would be 1 MB in size or less. Whereas > 10 MB is fairly common, and > 50 MB isn't unheard of, even PopCap aside.

Had phone memories stayed smaller we probably would've seen more games package assets as a separate download to the SD card.

Edit: It's also silly that Android's shared library loader can't load from .apks directly, so any app with an appreciable amount of native code has to store it in /data twice, once in the apk, and again in a uncompressed in /data/data/foo/lib.

They probably didn't anticipate that as many apps would use as much native code as they do. Again, games are a huge culprit here.

Back when the Firefox betas first came out, they were slammed for taking up so much /data space due to the native library problem. I think they actually implemented their own library loader that can load directly from the Firefox .apk. Too bad that never made it into Android itself.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 23, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Update on the Epic 4G Touch root fiasco:

A less surly and more helpful individual posted detailed instructions for dumping /system, and using the two phone technique to get a proper stock kernel dump.

Or at least, they had one until the mirror hosed up, and of the original copy one guy deleted it, another has his corrupted during download, and a third pulled it from his dropbox and promptly went to bed. Of course this wouldn't have happened if they just attached it to the xda thread OP, instead of forcing folks to use the super-reliable high-speed mirrors at TeamGoFuckYourself's own forum. :rolleyes:

So perhaps in the morning.

Anyways, if you have an E4GT and have already rooted, check again tomorrow for a newer root kernel which should suck less. If you haven't rooted, it's probably best to wait until morning.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 23, 2011

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
What are folks using these days for a screen capture app now that ShootMe is off the market?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Tots posted:

What are folks using these days for a screen capture app now that ShootMe is off the market?

DroCap2 works quite nicely for me. The PNG's it creates are a bit large, though. (900KB-1.1MB) So that may create a problem.

LastInLine posted:

How much of that 190MB is cache? It seems that a lot of apps end up getting quite unreasonable with their caching. I once saw Tweetdeck get up to 46MB in cache while the app itself was 1.86MB and stored 5.59MB for Data

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 23, 2011

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

DroCap2 works quite nicely for me. The PNG's it creates are a bit large, though. (900KB-1.1MB) So that may create a problem.

Looks like that's not available anymore either. Happen to have the apk?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Tots posted:

Looks like that's not available anymore either. Happen to have the apk?

Here you go. Last version of Drocap2 before it was pulled off the market for some reason.

Of note with this app is that it was notorious for somehow scrambling the screenshots if you opened the screenshot from the notifications area. Go to the gallery after the screenshot to see it. Minor annoyance but it works.

Also, of course, you must be rooted.

http://db.tt/tQPmiTAr

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

Also, of course, you must be rooted.

THAT IS BULLSHIT.

Just kidding, thanks.

E: God damnit. This is the fourth screen cap program that doesn't work for me. Takes 0B images of nothingness. :[

E2: Holy poo poo balls. I haven't rebooted my phone since I installed CM7 like 2 days ago, so I went into the power menu and there is a MOFUCKIN SCREEN SHOT BUTTON THERE. *and it works*

I've learned two things today: 1. I am retarded. 2. CM7 is cooler than cool.

Tots fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 23, 2011

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
So I went ahead and did it anyway. BAMF 2.3 Gingerbread. A few hiccups getting it all running right and a lot of time staring at that white HTC splash screen, wondering if I just bricked my phone.

I love it, it was really easy to do, and I love the changes that both GB and BAMF bring to the Android experience.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

Doghouse posted:

Are the CM7 folks working on this? It's a pretty big downer. I have it working for now but I am not looking forward to having to mess with it constantly. Do you mean that 200 will make the screen look better and more usable? Just clarifying because the use of the word "but" is confusing.

Semi-permanent solution, install the old market:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1240344

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ProjektorBoy posted:

How much of that 190MB is cache? It seems that a lot of apps end up getting quite unreasonable with their caching. I once saw Tweetdeck get up to 46MB in cache while the app itself was 1.86MB and stored 5.59MB for Data
Yeah I don't think you're understanding me. 190MB is the total amount of storage that the Nexus One has after you install CM7 (it's even less on stock, ~170MB free if I remember correctly). Also don't forget the phone simply refuses to do anything if less than 20MB of internal storage is free. Add to this that Froyo didn't launch with this phone, that was 6-7 months away.

Why do you think I know so much about a2sd?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Tots posted:

I've got a backup of the ShootMe apk if you like?

Fake edit: Here - http://db.tt/KAkKBR7

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 23, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

Yeah I don't think you're understanding me. 190MB is the total amount of storage that the Nexus One has after you install CM7 (it's even less on stock, ~170MB free if I remember correctly). Also don't forget the phone simply refuses to do anything if less than 20MB of internal storage is free. Add to this that Froyo didn't launch with this phone, that was 6-7 months away.

Why do you think I know so much about a2sd?

Apps were pretty small when the Nexus One came out. It was pretty dumb not to include more, but there weren't a ton of games worth installing at the time and most apps were still pretty small.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Apps were pretty small when the Nexus One came out. It was pretty dumb not to include more, but there weren't a ton of games worth installing at the time and most apps were still pretty small.
I know and I'm not complaining. I was pointing it out for ProjektorBoy who seemed to be thinking that Google+ was occupying 196MB since to anyone who joined the smartphone game late probably couldn't imagine a good one launching with 170MB for apps and no way to move them to SD.

I know you're old school and don't need reminding. ;)

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
So HTCs sometimes change tracks on their own or start up voice dialer on their own if you have headphones plugged in due to some bad connectivity in the headphone jack. (it thinks you're pushing buttons on a miced headset with a 4 conductor plug)

Mine used to do it 2-3 times a week on stock. I've been on CM for a little over a week now and it hasn't happened once, did they do something that corrects this somehow or is it just coincidence and it's going to happen to me 12x at lunch today?

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
I apologize if this has been asked, but I looked a few pages back and couldn't find anything. I've got a rooted CDMA EVO 3D with HBOOT version 1.50 unlocked with the HTC unlock process. Is it correct that there's currently no way to get S-OFF with this version of HBOOT? All the stuff I've been able to find says you need the revolutionary tool to do so, but it doesn't support 1.50 currently.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Wagonburner posted:

So HTCs sometimes change tracks on their own or start up voice dialer on their own if you have headphones plugged in due to some bad connectivity in the headphone jack. (it thinks you're pushing buttons on a miced headset with a 4 conductor plug)

Mine used to do it 2-3 times a week on stock. I've been on CM for a little over a week now and it hasn't happened once, did they do something that corrects this somehow or is it just coincidence and it's going to happen to me 12x at lunch today?

My Nexus One did this before on CM so it's not just Sense.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

big mean giraffe posted:

My Nexus One did this before on CM so it's not just Sense.

Baahhh! I just found something yesterday called headset blocker that would have helped me all along on sense and stopped this behavior.

It actually would help on CM too but headset blocker also makes the CM long-press volume track change and lockscreen music widget not work. And I've grown to love those things lots in the past week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Wagonburner posted:

Baahhh! I just found something yesterday called headset blocker that would have helped me all along on sense and stopped this behavior.

Thank you so much for this. This behavior has been driving me crazy in the short time I've had my Evo 3D. Here's hoping this program can fix it.