Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Just overheard a senior partner telling one of the office managers to go buy several huge tubs of ice cream because he felt like having an ice cream party this afternoon. He also told her to call our other offices and tell them they should all go buy ice cream too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Your firm was only interviewing 3Ls at my school; I was bummed I want to have an ice cream party.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

i'm sure you were never a good dancer

EDIT: i reread this and it could be construed as just awful so to clarify i was just kidding :(

It is true. Being a lawyer is sheltering me from the real rejection of the cruel cruel performance world.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I'm going to be in New Orleans for a few days for a conference. Bayou lawgoons: PM me some places to get burgers and steaks, TIA

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

HiddenReplaced posted:

Just overheard a senior partner telling one of the office managers to go buy several huge tubs of ice cream because he felt like having an ice cream party this afternoon. He also told her to call our other offices and tell them they should all go buy ice cream too.

Sounds like some associates are getting fired today!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

Tofutti break!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Feces Starship posted:

Hey could you email me at my school address? I got an offer at my firm and I need advice on some things about life as an attorney in the city we are both in

I have done this thing you asked

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Getting threats from a disgruntled client :toot:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Dantu posted:

Getting threats from a disgruntled client :toot:
dont worry im sure nothing will happhttp://www.digitaljournal.com/article/311842

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

MaximumBob posted:

Sounds like some associates are getting fired today!

Not yesterday, but possibly today.

A client gave the firm several tickets to the PGA tournament (executive club tickets, so free bar/food), and another associate that started with me took two of them. Senior partner just asked the office manager who took the tickets, and when she told him he goes, "So the new guy takes not one, but two tickets, and the day off to go to the tournament?" The office manager nervously laughed and the partner walks off.

It's kind of entertaining being directly across from the office manager's office.

Omerta posted:

Your firm was only interviewing 3Ls at my school; I was bummed I want to have an ice cream party.

With the way the market is looking today, you might be looking for a job next year anyway, so you may still have a shot at ice cream!

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 23, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I got free tacos and cupcakes yesterday at work. On tuesday, a client of mine made me tamales.
:colbert:

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

HiddenReplaced posted:

Not yesterday, but possibly today.

A client gave the firm several tickets to the PGA tournament (executive club tickets, so free bar/food), and another associate that started with me took two of them. Senior partner just asked the office manager who took the tickets, and when she told him he goes, "So the new guy takes not one, but two tickets, and the day off to go to the tournament?" The office manager nervously laughed and the partner walks off.

It's kind of entertaining being directly across from the office manager's office.

With the way the market is looking today, you might be looking for a job next year anyway, so you may still have a shot at ice cream!

I sent you an email update about how the fun hunting for a job in Atlanta was. Imagine staring into the eye of the goatse man -- forever.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 23, 2011

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Only for the school year for now, but just landed some agency work doing Food Safety Modernization Act compliance stuff for more than a pittance, so I guess that's something.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Lawyer pet question - how many of you have dogs and how do you take care of them while billing 2,400 hours? Same question applies to children I guess.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
crate them at night, put them outside during the day when you're at the office and train them good enough so that they don't poo poo in the house

as for the pets, i don't know

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Direwolf posted:

Lawyer pet question - how many of you have dogs and how do you take care of them while billing 2,400 hours? Same question applies to children I guess.

Wife.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Direwolf posted:

Wife + dog-walker. I leave at like 9, she gets home around 5:30, and we have a dog-walker come around mid-day for a half hour or so.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

The Wise Teen posted:

Only for the school year for now, but just landed some agency work doing Food Safety Modernization Act compliance stuff for more than a pittance, so I guess that's something.

Grats fancy flup

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Grats fancy flup

fanci grub

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
hired. heads up mitten, im coming home

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
btw If I have actually tapped into the vein of Thinking Like a Goddamned Lawyer via copious amounts of alcohol on this fine evening of worthlessness it's not the work that makes you drink yourself into a fat stupor of self-loathing; those notions of self insufficiency and wonderings of why continue exist long before we clothe ourselves in the cloak of proclaimed knowledge of legal maneuvering. we just keep throwing layers upon layers of complexity to hide the inner ugliness through distraction with the hope that at the end of the day I don t have to peer into the emptiness that is my personhood.

but even that doesn't help. so it's to the bottle I go, knowing that I continue out of spite at this time because those other shitheads who are competing against me would probably take more glee than sorrow out of me pulling out of the race. And, seriously, if I'm just a pissant not worth much, they certainly are far less. It's of little comfort to say that I enjoy what I do - even if it's a fair 80 percent of my life at this point, and I have no expectations of that ration of "work/life balance" to ever get better - because how can you enjoy the movie even if the plot is grand if the actors are mannequins? I hope that I will crush them like bugs in the following years. I must win at everything so they can reflect upon their own failures and realize how poo poo and pointless this all is. I want to share this pathetic internal horrorshow with everyone; but I can't do it with any sort of frankness as here, because otherwise they will just point and stare. So if they have some standard by which they will see that their own achievements are dust in some shitstorm wind, then I don't have to expose my own vulnerabilities to pull back the mask and we can all drown our loathing and self pity in buckets of filth and sewage. I like mine with hops.

I've looked at this for about ten minutes in preview and decide I'm going to post it. I don't care. It's really bad, pretty e/n sort of poo poo. But gently caress you, this is for those assholes who think that they'll go to law school Let Me Check the Law Thread and Glimpse Into the Future because I don't give a poo poo if this is just a low day for me gently caress this and gently caress them and gently caress everyone and I don't care if you think The Law is a great path for you it won't help you with your own goddamn troubles and if you're doing good at all then you're probably a broken person on the inside and you can't cover that up forever so gently caress you for thinking you could escape from that reality by spending 100k+. No gently caress that it's not for them because gently caress them, it's for me because talking to the goddamn wall only does so much so putting this poo poo into writing and posting it makes it at least more real than my problems.

I am pretty stoked for this summer, though.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Green Crayons posted:

btw If I have actually tapped into the vein of Thinking Like a Goddamned Lawyer via copious amounts of alcohol on this fine evening of worthlessness it's not the work that makes you drink yourself into a fat stupor of self-loathing; those notions of self insufficiency and wonderings of why continue exist long before we clothe ourselves in the cloak of proclaimed knowledge of legal maneuvering. we just keep throwing layers upon layers of complexity to hide the inner ugliness through distraction with the hope that at the end of the day I don t have to peer into the emptiness that is my personhood.

but even that doesn't help. so it's to the bottle I go, knowing that I continue out of spite at this time because those other shitheads who are competing against me would probably take more glee than sorrow out of me pulling out of the race. And, seriously, if I'm just a pissant not worth much, they certainly are far less. It's of little comfort to say that I enjoy what I do - even if it's a fair 80 percent of my life at this point, and I have no expectations of that ration of "work/life balance" to ever get better - because how can you enjoy the movie even if the plot is grand if the actors are mannequins? I hope that I will crush them like bugs in the following years. I must win at everything so they can reflect upon their own failures and realize how poo poo and pointless this all is. I want to share this pathetic internal horrorshow with everyone; but I can't do it with any sort of frankness as here, because otherwise they will just point and stare. So if they have some standard by which they will see that their own achievements are dust in some shitstorm wind, then I don't have to expose my own vulnerabilities to pull back the mask and we can all drown our loathing and self pity in buckets of filth and sewage. I like mine with hops.

I've looked at this for about ten minutes in preview and decide I'm going to post it. I don't care. It's really bad, pretty e/n sort of poo poo. But gently caress you, this is for those assholes who think that they'll go to law school Let Me Check the Law Thread and Glimpse Into the Future because I don't give a poo poo if this is just a low day for me gently caress this and gently caress them and gently caress everyone and I don't care if you think The Law is a great path for you it won't help you with your own goddamn troubles and if you're doing good at all then you're probably a broken person on the inside and you can't cover that up forever so gently caress you for thinking you could escape from that reality by spending 100k+. No gently caress that it's not for them because gently caress them, it's for me because talking to the goddamn wall only does so much so putting this poo poo into writing and posting it makes it at least more real than my problems.
A good post.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
King of Drunkposts

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Came to post this bit from 1787,

but maybe it would be better modified for prospective lawyers, instead.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

"fagacious"

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
L&LSMW #13: Fagacious mifcarries in his fuit

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

"fagacious"

Taking this back.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

joat mon posted:

Came to post this bit from 1787,

but maybe it would be better modified for prospective lawyers, instead.

Why is it "fays?" clearly they could print a lowercase s. That fhit fucks you fag

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Why is it "fays?" clearly they could print a lowercase s. That fhit fucks you fag

WHO ARE YOU CALLING A SAG?!

:eng101: The Greeks had two versions of lowercase sigma - one that was used at the beginning and middle of words, and another that was used at the end.
The medial s (f) in Europe was sort of like the Renaissance and Enlightenment writer's version of 'Esq.' - a meaningless flourish that made one's writing (or for lawyers, title) look pretty and made one stand out as an aficionado of a more noble and cultured time. (Ancient Greece for writers, England for lawyers)
As literacy increased, people realized it was a dumb affectation that made reading more difficult, and within 20 years it was gone. I don't know why we still have Esq.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

joat mon posted:

I don't know why we still have Esq.

We're not cool enough for "Dr."

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
You scrubs better not be putting Esq. after your own name though. I think I actually saw one of the faculty/administration at my school do it, might have been a dean.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

HiddenReplaced posted:

I either run in the morning before work or go to the gym after work. Going pretty well so far. I think the key to my success is that I live 90 seconds from my office, the grocery store, the gym, and the mall.
If there is one overarching post-law school concern I have, it's "Will I be able to get my run in?"

Also, hello. The rules didn't say much in the way of how to make introductions, but I figured I'd take my chances. I'm Liz, and I'm a 2L.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

MoFauxHawk posted:

You scrubs better not be putting Esq. after your own name though. I think I actually saw one of the faculty/administration at my school do it, might have been a dean.

Seen lots of folks doing it here in Dallas. As if we needed more ammo for folks convinced we are idiots.

Roger_Mudd, Esq.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Roger_Mudd posted:

Seen lots of folks doing it here in Dallas. As if we needed more ammo for folks convinced we are idiots.

Roger_Mudd, Esq.

Since I'm just a law student I sign all of my listserv emails "Mo Faux Hawk, Esq.-in-Training, J.D. Candidate Northwestern University Law School of Law 2014 A.C.E."

Seriously though our school is really inconsistent with what it calls itself. I see both "Northwestern University Law School" and "Northwestern University School of Law" on official things.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Solid Lizzie posted:

If there is one overarching post-law school concern I have, it's "Will I be able to get my run in?"

Also, hello. The rules didn't say much in the way of how to make introductions, but I figured I'd take my chances. I'm Liz, and I'm a 2L.

Hi, Liz. I'm tau. Welcome to the Lawyer & Law School Megathread #12. What fine institution are you suffering through?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
can we please have a new thread soon and put it in A/T?

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

tau posted:

Hi, Liz. I'm tau. Welcome to the Lawyer & Law School Megathread #12. What fine institution are you suffering through?
Syracuse University. Should've accepted the DC offers. Would've cost me a lot more, yes, but the snow here...forty inches in the first week of finals alone. It's bananas. Forget snow tires and buy some huskies and a sled.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Sulecrist posted:

can we please have a new thread soon and put it in A/T?
This thread was moved to BFC by the mods so I assume they want to hide it away where we cannot warn future marks of the fate that awaits them

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Linguica posted:

This thread was moved to BFC by the mods so I assume they want to hide it away where we cannot warn future marks of the fate that awaits them

Well heck I'll award you ten cool points if you can use your highly trained arguing skills to convince them to keep it in A/T. You're a lawyer, you go through three years of training to argue important things right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I had a kid! Turns out, newborns are exhausting. Like, so exhausting that working long days at the office seems like a golden oasis of calm.

Seriously though, if you want to really enjoy being at the office, have a baby. After a week of 24/7 changing diapers, consoling a crying baby, and taking care of your breastfeeding wife, the office really starts to call to you.