Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Your upload is eleven times faster than my download. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Martytoof posted:

It's times like this where I really enjoy working a campus job :3:

Hey, what do you do there? Our lead dev just quit for a job at McMaster.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Probably because I'm torrenting, but still...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

Hey, what do you do there? Our lead dev just quit for a job at McMaster.

I'm just a lab hand at the moment while I'm looking for a real job in my field in Toronto :[

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 19, 2011

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, but what good is having those speeds when the best thing that can take advantage of it is the one thing you aren't allowed to download at work? Women in the workplace have ruined everything. :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

kuddles posted:

Yeah, but what good is having those speeds when the best thing that can take advantage of it is the one thing you aren't allowed to download at work? Women in the workplace have ruined everything. :(

Private office :ninja:

But seriously though, it's very nice. I don't really do a lot of downloading, but when I grabbed all 28-ish gigs of CS193P from iTunesU and that thing went down like butter. Very nice.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
scrubs

The upload is at 200mb but i've rate limited it on this network.

Moving to a 1gb symmetrical by the end of the year.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
I'm trying to get as far away from rogers as fast as possible, is teksavvy still the best independent ISP in SW Ontario?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

ETPC posted:

I'm trying to get as far away from rogers as fast as possible, is teksavvy still the best independent ISP in SW Ontario?

I have a similar question. I currently have teksavvy DSL but am moving to a new house very shortly and looking to get teksavvy cable but I hear speeds have been pretty crap lately.
I'll be moving to London (east end). I can stand slow speeds for a couple of weeks if they are in the process of improving things. I would hate to have to go to Rogers

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

iLikeMidgets posted:

I'll be moving to London (east end).

I'm so sorry

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
London is a wasteland don't do it i'm here right now

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nitr0 posted:

scrubs

The upload is at 200mb but i've rate limited it on this network.

Moving to a 1gb symmetrical by the end of the year.

Is MB even worth it? They call me a once a month saying "oh yeah we're great and fast and competitive" but then the price sheet is always waaaaaaaaay above what my 3 hardlines from redundant providers are.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I'm with Uniserve so I don't know. I just use the metrobridge speedtest because I know it's connected to a gig port wheras half the servers on speedtest.net won't go above 100Mb/s. We used them for 6 months at a remote office that we needed a 100Mb bridge to and it worked really well, professional installers, good support. If you have no other options I would say yes it's worth it, otherwise just phone Uniserve and trench fiber from the nearest Telus demarc.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 29, 2020

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Welp! Seems like we're going with teksavvy. Hopefully this dosen't come back to bite us in the rear end later on.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

ETPC posted:

London is a wasteland don't do it i'm here right now

I worked there for a year and a half and commuted from the Woodstock area. I actually thanked my boss when he laid he off.

You should have heard how hard I was laughing when he called me 6 months later to ask if I wanted to come back.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

less than three posted:

TV service is required in order to get Optik.

Not sure if it's Optik or not, but I have 15mbps service with telus and I don't have TV.

Only real complaints I have with them is their upload speed absolutely blows. Like .8mbps. Down is pretty close though, 13-15. I get 1.5 megabyte/sec on a good connection. For my needs, its OK.

I don't torrent so it doesn't bother me, but I could see it being an issue potentially.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ETPC posted:

Welp! Seems like we're going with teksavvy. Hopefully this dosen't come back to bite us in the rear end later on.

If you got any questions, let me know.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Wow, is London really that bad right now? Any ISP recommendations ?

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

Martytoof posted:

:smug: no one has said anything about my downloading (yet).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oddx posted:

It's literally faster for me to drive five minutes to campus to transfer a big download to my portable hard drive than it is for me to download it at home :q:

Speeds like this make me wish I actually had something big to download. I wish Playstation Network let you download demos and poo poo through a web browser and install them via USB. It's a godsend for iTunesU and iTunes video store though. If I didn't have a lovely pipe at home I'd just leave all my media on my Mac at work and VPN in and stream over the network. poo poo, I probably get better speeds to campus than I do to Netflix any day of the week.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 20, 2011

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!

Oddx posted:

Where the hell do you get this speed at Concordia. My guess is you work for IITS or AITS and have access to an ethernet hookup.

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

Scarboy posted:

Where the hell do you get this speed at Concordia. My guess is you work for IITS or AITS and have access to an ethernet hookup.

I work in a research lab with ethernet access. I pretty much just bring my laptop in to work these days to deal with the bandwidth caps on my home connection. Teksavvy cable in Quebec is saddled with Videotron's caps.

Martytoof it comes in handy for Steam downloads too!

Oddx fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 20, 2011

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Lone Rogue posted:

If you got any questions, let me know.

It cannot be worse then rogers. It's physically impossible to be worse then rogers unless the modem is made out of paper and has MODOM on it written in crayon.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Here is a Telus question for you guys.

We're probably going to be moving pretty soon. At our current location we're in a rural area and are on 3mb DSL (we could upgrade to 6 but I knew we wouldn't be staying much longer so I never bothered to call and ask). It's bundled with telephone and satellite TV and we have a year left on the contract or something like that.

Optik is around, and ironically actually looks like it would be cheaper than our current DSL/TV combo. We're still house searching, but unless we find something amazing in another rural location, it will probably be available where we move to. Will it be possible to call Telus and trade our satellite/3mb for Optik when we move, or is the contract/bundle going to gently caress us over?

It just seems dumb to have them come out and install the satellite and everything and then a year later come back out and switch it up for Optik...

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Tagra posted:

Here is a Telus question for you guys.

We're probably going to be moving pretty soon. At our current location we're in a rural area and are on 3mb DSL (we could upgrade to 6 but I knew we wouldn't be staying much longer so I never bothered to call and ask). It's bundled with telephone and satellite TV and we have a year left on the contract or something like that.

Optik is around, and ironically actually looks like it would be cheaper than our current DSL/TV combo. We're still house searching, but unless we find something amazing in another rural location, it will probably be available where we move to. Will it be possible to call Telus and trade our satellite/3mb for Optik when we move, or is the contract/bundle going to gently caress us over?

It just seems dumb to have them come out and install the satellite and everything and then a year later come back out and switch it up for Optik...

That sounds like a job for a telus agent. Contract negotiations are really delicate things usually you would have to call and ask.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Sprawl posted:

That sounds like a job for a telus agent. Contract negotiations are really delicate things usually you would have to call and ask.

bah I was hoping the answer would be "Oh yeah, this happens all the time"

Meeks Sisu
Mar 30, 2011

Is this performance art!?
I'm about to cancel my service with Rogers because their monthly cap is atrocious. Is there a consensus on the best ISP for a cable connection in the downtown Ottawa area? From what I've managed to research it seems that either Teksavvy or Velcom are the best choices.

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!

Meeks Sisu posted:

I'm about to cancel my service with Rogers because their monthly cap is atrocious. Is there a consensus on the best ISP for a cable connection in the downtown Ottawa area? From what I've managed to research it seems that either Teksavvy or Velcom are the best choices.

I've had teksavvy 15/1 unlimited with no problems. I also know many people who used Acanac's 15/1 service with no problems.
Acanac comes out cheaper (35/mo I think) if you are on a contract and don't mind dealing with worse customer service.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Does anyone know Rogers' policy on using your own modem? The SMS Networks thing in my new apartment is pretty terrible (the service is in the landlord's name so the answer isn't just to switch ISPs).

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

The Dark One posted:

Does anyone know Rogers' policy on using your own modem? The SMS Networks thing in my new apartment is pretty terrible (the service is in the landlord's name so the answer isn't just to switch ISPs).

Typically they wont let you but the smaller isps ala tekksavy and like will. Is it one of those modems or is it one of the modem + wifi gateway things?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Probably going to upgrade to Broadband 50 later this week. Docsis 3.0 here I come!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Sprawl posted:

Typically they wont let you but the smaller isps ala tekksavy and like will. Is it one of those modems or is it one of the modem + wifi gateway things?

It's the middle one. I have to use its built-in wifi because I can't snake cable across hallways or run them through the walls. It's just really bad at its job. My computer is only about 25 feet away, but the connection is flaky to the point where I'll just get dropped and have to cycle the thing's power to be able to connect to it again.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

The Dark One posted:

It's the middle one. I have to use its built-in wifi because I can't snake cable across hallways or run them through the walls. It's just really bad at its job. My computer is only about 25 feet away, but the connection is flaky to the point where I'll just get dropped and have to cycle the thing's power to be able to connect to it again.

The modem is probably fine, but the router part sucks. You can pick up your own wireless router and use that to get better connectivity (you will have to switch your modem to bridged mode which may be a non-trivial process). See the Home Networking Megathread for more details.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
What is going on with my internet? When I signed up for teksavvy I was getting speeds much faster than my rogers, but now I'm downloading at 340 kb/s, youtube is having trouble loading, and netflix is pretty much unbearable to watch. (Nothing has changed as far as my knowledge goes from that point to this one)

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Brace posted:

What is going on with my internet? When I signed up for teksavvy I was getting speeds much faster than my rogers, but now I'm downloading at 340 kb/s, youtube is having trouble loading, and netflix is pretty much unbearable to watch. (Nothing has changed as far as my knowledge goes from that point to this one)

I was going to post advice about changing your DNS settings, but you were already given that advice in this thread. Did you try changing them?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Well when I try to go to 192.168.1.1 it just throws up "Unable to load the page because no data was sent" so... I don't even know

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Brace posted:

Well when I try to go to 192.168.1.1 it just throws up "Unable to load the page because no data was sent" so... I don't even know

That means you should investigate router/modem issues, or your computer.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Ok so I just unplugged my router and plugged it back in and tossed those google DNS into the Static DNS 1/2 lines or whatever.

I'm using a WRT54G, and I should be getting the fastest speed basically because on the computer that I'm getting 300kb/s download speeds and poo poo load times on the internet, I'm directly plugged into the router.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can you ping your router? What are those ping numbers looking like? Any timeouts? Everything you've posted kind of leads me to believe there's something wrong with your router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Plug directly into your modem and check the speed. Easiest way to tell if its your router or not. If your speeds are still poo poo it sounds like you're on a congested node.