Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/sv650.shtml

Corbin looks like they have a backrest option...contact them and find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.
Sorry, I should of been more specific. I'm looking for a passenger one.

I do like that Corbin Smuggler Trunk...maybe I need to get something for myself before I start shopping for her.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BigRedCat posted:

Sorry, I should of been more specific. I'm looking for a passenger one.

I do like that Corbin Smuggler Trunk...maybe I need to get something for myself before I start shopping for her.

The backrest option for the corbin is generally on the passenger seat :)

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.
I'll look again, all I saw was the cowl with front backrest.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
More questions regarding that lowsided K5 SV I bought. So far I've bought a new rear fender/platemount/turn signal combo, tank, hand controls, stock N mirrors, and fender for about $350. Not too bad! However, I'm convinced that something has been done with the wiring and brake lines (S-style?), as medium-rise Renthal bars aren't compatible.

1) Is there an equivalent, but slightly-longer, front brake line I can pick up? A extra 1.5-2" or so of length should leave plenty of slack. The throttle cables are also being pesky, but I'm not sure what approach I can take there apart from ordering new ones and crossing my fingers.

2) I don't have a left mount for the N mirrors. Probably should've checked that before ordering them... is there a clamp available?

At this point, the only other components I have to track down are footpegs and a shifter. I guess it makes sense that there aren't many used ones flooding the market.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'd rather have a grey one, but I'll probably end up having this one repainted white.

Oh yeah, and I think I'm taking my dad's truck to Flint tomorrow. :)

edit: The bike I'm looking at has 13k miles. Anything I should specifically pay attention to that may need replacing or other work?

I think valve check is a 15k service. Uhhh, chain/sprockets, fork seals leaking, rotors (the rear on the one I just bought is shot because apparently thats the only brake the PO used, and he never changed brake pads.) I'd probably change the brake fluid too. I think that sums up what I had to do with mine I bought at 15k.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

OneOverZero posted:

More questions regarding that lowsided K5 SV I bought. So far I've bought a new rear fender/platemount/turn signal combo, tank, hand controls, stock N mirrors, and fender for about $350. Not too bad! However, I'm convinced that something has been done with the wiring and brake lines (S-style?), as medium-rise Renthal bars aren't compatible.

1) Is there an equivalent, but slightly-longer, front brake line I can pick up? A extra 1.5-2" or so of length should leave plenty of slack. The throttle cables are also being pesky, but I'm not sure what approach I can take there apart from ordering new ones and crossing my fingers.

2) I don't have a left mount for the N mirrors. Probably should've checked that before ordering them... is there a clamp available?

At this point, the only other components I have to track down are footpegs and a shifter. I guess it makes sense that there aren't many used ones flooding the market.

You could try posting up on SVrider, I'm sure someone has got stock lines for a naked version they dont need after putting on SS lines.

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?
This is all that's left. :smith:

Persh fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 21, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
At least you arent reduced to red crayon permanently staining the pavement, man. I kept the throttle boss from my crashed sv650, and it's otherwise gone into the great sky of gixxerification.

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?

the walkin dude posted:

At least you arent reduced to red crayon permanently staining the pavement, man.

I need to get a picture of where the bike landed after going over the car, the concrete is cracked & charred, it's eerie driving past it now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My new project track bike. 2002 naked, everything except wheels and tires. Will get the 636 shock and gsxr front treatment.

Should be a fun track toy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've got the mirrors off my SV, but that's because I had taken them off before my accident.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Welp, here she be. (It's her bad side, the dent in the tank looks worse in the picture than it really is.)

I love this thing. I'm planning on getting a set of frame sliders for it, but that's about all I can see doing to it for now. Eventually I'll have the dent fixed and the whole bike resprayed (probably white?) but I'm just going to enjoy it right now.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I don't think I've seen an un-dented sv tank in a long time. It's starting to get like seeing a stock CRX - you know they exist but where are they?

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

JP Money posted:

I don't think I've seen an un-dented sv tank in a long time. It's starting to get like seeing a stock CRX - you know they exist but where are they?

I had an undented tank but I fixed that problem.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

JP Money posted:

It's starting to get like seeing a stock CRX - you know they exist but where are they?

For sale on my street right now. There's also an undamaged, stock, 1st gen SV in my neighborhood :v:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm planning on getting a set of frame sliders for it, but that's about all I can see doing to it for now.

Famous last words :mmmhmm:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

AncientTV posted:

For sale on my street right now. There's also an undamaged, stock, 1st gen SV in my neighborhood :v:

poo poo man, that's the loving bermuda triangle of sales. You better move before a plague of locusts / group of teenage kids flies in and destroys the area.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Also, get rid of that read fender. It looks like a coal shovel.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TheFonz posted:

Also, get rid of that read fender. It looks like a coal shovel.

Relax about the rear fender. It keep road grime off your backside.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Coredump posted:

Relax about the rear fender. It keep road grime off your backside.

Yeah, I don't think I'll get rid of the rear fender unless I have a hugger to replace it. I plan on riding this thing in rain and whatever else.

Might do hugger, fender eliminator and chin spoiler when I respray it.

AncientTV posted:

For sale on my street right now.

If that CRX is stock AND rust free you probably should buy it.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 23, 2011

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Any idea where you can pick up a color matched rear hugger in the usa?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bladesamurai posted:

Any idea where you can pick up a color matched rear hugger in the usa?

2nd gen? http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/home.php

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

250 + shipping... ouch. Guess I can pass on that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Edit: NVM moved to buy/sell thread

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 23, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

bladesamurai posted:

I had an undented tank but I fixed that problem.

Man, if my tank wasn't already dented I'd be a real sad guy today. Was washing the bike and I must have pushed it weird, the kickstand gave out and it tipped onto the other side, denting the other side of the tank. Ha ha, I'm retarded.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
My new to me 07 S model seems to be enjoying breaking little things. First the battery died. Of course it happened in the dmv parking lot after we signed over the title. Then when doing a proper cleaning I noticed a bracket was broken. Took me forever looking through the parts catalog to figure out it was part of the throttle body linkage. Today I start the bike up and it started leaking gas. Cut to me taking the seat off, lifting the tank, removing the air filter assembly, and... can't find the leak. Reassemble everything and it rides fine, no further leaking. Some googling suggest its the two clamps on the fuel line connecting the two cylinders so I guess I'll replace those just to be safe. Frustrating that a bike that looks so clean has had so many little issues, however small they may be.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Kastivich posted:

My new to me 07 S model seems to be enjoying breaking little things. First the battery died. Of course it happened in the dmv parking lot after we signed over the title. Then when doing a proper cleaning I noticed a bracket was broken. Took me forever looking through the parts catalog to figure out it was part of the throttle body linkage. Today I start the bike up and it started leaking gas. Cut to me taking the seat off, lifting the tank, removing the air filter assembly, and... can't find the leak. Reassemble everything and it rides fine, no further leaking. Some googling suggest its the two clamps on the fuel line connecting the two cylinders so I guess I'll replace those just to be safe. Frustrating that a bike that looks so clean has had so many little issues, however small they may be.

Did you leave the key on while signing over the title? :ssh:

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

schreibs posted:

Did you leave the key on while signing over the title? :ssh:

No. I had the key with me. It was just a weak battery caused by my short test ride and starting it again afterwards. I hope.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Kastivich posted:

Battery might just be dead especially if the PO didnt ride it much.

I had mine leak gas when the fitting connecting the fuel line to the fuel rail (I hope I got those terms right) came a little loose. I pushed it back on tight and it hasn't leaked any since.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

GanjamonII posted:

Battery might just be dead especially if the PO didnt ride it much.

I had mine leak gas when the fitting connecting the fuel line to the fuel rail (I hope I got those terms right) came a little loose. I pushed it back on tight and it hasn't leaked any since.

Looking around online seems to suggest that is the most common cause. Or the fuel injector gasket is bad. Neither seem like terribly difficult fixes

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Anyone have a spare ECM/ECU for a first gen SV laying around? Was cleaning up the wiring harness for the track bike last night and realized it didn't come with one.

Amazing how much stuff you can remove from the harness when the bike isn't going to see street use again.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Just read on svforums that the SV, SVS, and Gladius have all been removed from Suzuki's website. Any speculation on Suzuki's next move? I hope they come out with a new SV line.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

About to get my first bike and everything is pointing toward an SV650. Anything I should be looking out for with 03+ models? I have about $4000 to spend on the bike (and another grand on a new helmet/cargo/rain gear since my friend's hand-me-down is about eight years old)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

About to get my first bike and everything is pointing toward an SV650. Anything I should be looking out for with 03+ models? I have about $4000 to spend on the bike (and another grand on a new helmet/cargo/rain gear since my friend's hand-me-down is about eight years old)

Find one that's cheaper than 4k...you don't need to spend more than about 3k on an sv650 these days to get a nice FI model. Do you have any previous riding experience?

That'll give you a more reasonable amount of money for gear and will mean if you drop it and ding the tank, you wont knock a grand off the value of the bike. Try and find one in good mechanical condition over perfect cosmetic condition, because you should not care about dropping your first bike.

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011
I'm picking up my first bike today. We agreed on $2150 for the 2000 SV650s. I find that price alright (is it?) because it's in excellent mechanical condition, new brakes, new tires, dealer inspected with receipts going back a couple years, bike cover, trickle charger, tank cover and an ART exhaust. I won't care about dropping it too much, it has a scuff on the side because the PO had a tight fit in the garage.

Anything I should know about these bikes? I've been over to the svriders forum but couldn't find anything specific.

I'll update with pictures when it's home!

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I just got my 2nd gen Corbin seat that I bought used online. I'm having trouble getting the mounting bracket to line up with the screw holes on the bike.

Is there any mechanical reason I shouldn't just leave the seat unbolted? It'll make it easier to remove the battery and put it on a battery tender, for sure. Otherwise the only other concern is theft and I'm not too worried about someone coming along and trying to lift the seat up. It's not going to blow off in a strong wind, is it? I park my bike outside.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

It could move around on you while riding I guess. Don't give the bike an opportunity to have something dumb happen imo.

I think you can buy extended battery tender leads that stay attached to your battery terminals and can be routed somewhere more convenient.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sicarii posted:

I'm picking up my first bike today. We agreed on $2150 for the 2000 SV650s. I find that price alright (is it?) because it's in excellent mechanical condition, new brakes, new tires, dealer inspected with receipts going back a couple years, bike cover, trickle charger, tank cover and an ART exhaust. I won't care about dropping it too much, it has a scuff on the side because the PO had a tight fit in the garage.

Anything I should know about these bikes? I've been over to the svriders forum but couldn't find anything specific.

I'll update with pictures when it's home!

That's an alright deal...if it's been well maintained, then that is worth a bit of a premium, considering the bike is 11 years old now.

Nothing in particular...just the usual concerns of failing Regulator/Rectifiers, besides that, the engine is rock solid. I had an 02 that went to 140k miles, including 4 years of trackdays and 2 years of racing with the PO. Even then, it was the transmission that took a poo poo, not the engine itself. Definitely down on power a bit after all that abuse, but still ran great.

lowcrabdiet, you're probably ok just leaving it unbolted. Might throw some safety wire on it just for the sake of having something there. Doesn't need to be tight, just enough to prevent crackheads from running off with the seat. Because you never know what crackheads are gonna try.

Also crossposting from my project thread...I'll be picking up this 99 SV650 for $1500 in about 2 weeks.

Mods:
1. GSXR 600 front forks
2. HELLA Projectors and HID
3. Foot peg lifter plates
4. GSXR rear suspension
5. Seats reupholstered with vinyl carbon
6. Trail Tech gauges
7. Micron Exhaust
8. Steel braided lines
9. New pilot road 2 tires
10. Airtech fairings
11. Motoslider front and rear sliders
12. CRG levers
13. Brand new battery

Plus handlebars and stuff. This is my 4th or 5th SV650. :downs:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

Find one that's cheaper than 4k...you don't need to spend more than about 3k on an sv650 these days to get a nice FI model. Do you have any previous riding experience?

That'll give you a more reasonable amount of money for gear and will mean if you drop it and ding the tank, you wont knock a grand off the value of the bike. Try and find one in good mechanical condition over perfect cosmetic condition, because you should not care about dropping your first bike.

I took the MSC and found it extremely easy and enjoyable (and full of very useful knowledge) and I've driven a manual car for a very long time. A friend of mine who has been riding for many years with tons of experience supports it as a first bike (He himself had one and loved it a lot but now rides a new BMW 1000cc sport bike)

I already have a jacket, pants, boots, and gloves.

I'm looking for good mechanics over cosmetics, but I'm in Santa Cruz and every option online so far has been "this is my baby it's never been dropped it's amazing it can make you coffee AND has a built in fleshlight 4k firm no lowballers"

I'm not in a hurry to get a bike though so I'm gonna keep looking for good deals that pop up. These are some of the options I've found so far that aren't ludicrously overpriced:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2619277349.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2618933457.html

And everything else starts at 4k. Why is this area so expensive. :smith:

• Locked thread