Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Seashell Salesman posted:

Yeah I guess that one was an accident, since the flag was changed well before power armor was invented (I'm thinking pre-1969 since it was some time before that that the states were merged into the commonwealths and presumably required the change in flag). e: my problem with the 'old flag' appearing there is that by the time of the great war it was over a hundred years out of date, it would be like someone today 'preferring' a flag with like 30 stars or whatever. Also it's possible that the modern flag never existed in the FO universe since that one was adopted in 1960 apparently.

Well, to be completely fair here, the only reason the circle of stars flag appears in Fallout is exactly because somebody preferred it to the regular one. Somebody on the staff had wanted to put it in since like... the first game. So finally with Fallout 3 they came up with an excuse to do it and made it work.

I mean if you really want to nitpick, you could just, I dunno, make a version of the armor with a circle of stars on the shoulder plate instead of a square? It wouldn't be difficult at all to make a simple distinction like that.

EDIT: Content for new page -- I heard that with NVSE it's possible to hotkey items to keyboard keys. How would one go about doing that? Implant GRX is basically a waste of time as-is and I'd like to make it so I can activate it with a keystroke.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009
The 13-star flag was shown in the intro to Fallout 1. It's not exactly the same as the current version, with the center star the same size as the surrounding ones, but the idea's been there from the beginning.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Guess I must have misread something, then. I swore I read something on the Fallout wiki that made the claim that the flag wasn't fully canonized until Fallout 3... was it ever explained before then? Maybe that's it.

In unrelated news, I've dropped my crappy Stealth Helmet Mk II mod (since the Stealth Suit overhaul mod trumps my meager attempt in every way) and am instead working on a Mojave Music Radio: Extended mod. It always bugged me that there are at least two different extensions of Radio New Vegas, but none for Mojave Music Radio, rendering it basically useless. Right now I have my songs picked out and converted. All that's really left to do is the arduous task of setting up the actual mod. In total, there'll be 100 tracks on the station: 85 new ones complementing the 15 old ones. Mostly western/bluegrass kind of music with a handful of blues and rockabilly tracks.

The Goodsprings Barber Shop is still underway, though slightly stalled at the moment due to a bit of a creative block on that front. You'd be surprised how hard it is to make a convincing barber with New Vegas' default resources. I guess he washes hair with Washo detergent despite the added SUPER BLEACH. It's had me wondering whether I should make a custom homemade shampoo item or something. I was thinking maybe some sort of simple quest attached to it, like finding him a recipe to cleanse the soap of bleach or make a natural shampoo or something, but I don't know. Input on the subject is definitely welcome.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 22, 2011

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Oh goddamn it :argh: I tried to activate Ling's but I got this error:
code:
---------------------------
Error
A problem occurred during install: 

Could not find file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GeMM\data\FalloutNV\ModConfig4.0.xsd'. (C:\Program Files (x86)\GeMM\data\FalloutNV\ModConfig4.0.xsd)

The mod was not installed.
OK   
What did I gently caress up?

Anybody got an idea of what it is? It's the last major hurdle between me having all of my stuff back. I'll still need Desert Scorpion and the Reflectron, but those are minor. Why DS is under review and why Reflection is hidden is beyond me.

Nuclear Pogostick fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 22, 2011

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Guess I must have misread something, then. I swore I read something on the Fallout wiki that made the claim that the flag wasn't fully canonized until Fallout 3... was it ever explained before then? Maybe that's it.

Basically, yeah. There is also some spergy controversy over how many stars the original flag "really" had, since you can't see all of it in the art. Fallout wiki covers all of it.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

The US in the Fallout world was reorganized at some point after World War 2 from 50 states to 13 semi-independent Commonwealths. Each star represents one Commonwealth. That's why the flag looks the way it does.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Seashell Salesman posted:

I have this weird thing with Project Reality where when I transition to an area I will have one light-level and weather/sky, and then bringing up the pip-boy, pressing T, or speaking to someone will change everything, presumably to whatever it's really meant to be. Sort of like PR doesn't immediately apply its changes on transitions and needs you to spawn any random menu for it to hook in and change stuff? Anyone else seen this?

This doesn't happen with any other weather mod, for me, but it does happen every time I have used PR.

This sounds a lot like what I was experiencing with the Nevada Skies mod. Weird.

MadPierrot posted:

Project Reality with NMC and Director's Chair has been fine for me so far. But the more I play, the more I do realize that Gamebryo games are simply very, very ugly.

New Vegas feels slightly more unhinged than Fallout 3 though. I just played through F3 with all kinds of mods and only had the game crash once on me and no graphical glitches. New Vegas just seems to be more unstable as a whole.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Yodzilla posted:

New Vegas feels slightly more unhinged than Fallout 3 though. I just played through F3 with all kinds of mods and only had the game crash once on me and no graphical glitches. New Vegas just seems to be more unstable as a whole.

Which is especially bizarre, because even with a carefully modded version of FO3, I was still getting CTDs an average of once every hour or two. For me, a modded NV is a lot more stable than FO3.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Which is especially bizarre, because even with a carefully modded version of FO3, I was still getting CTDs an average of once every hour or two. For me, a modded NV is a lot more stable than FO3.

Same here.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
FO3 was probably more buggy because you weren't using Master Update Mode. AFAIK the bug that required MUM was fixed in NV so you'll have less crashes due to that inherently.

That being said I crash as much or more in NV than I did in FO3; though a lot of that I think has to do with Directors Chair and all those related mods. I was crashing constantly until I got rid of them and I crash significantly less without it, but I haven't played much since I got rid of it and I can't really remember if I crashed a lot before I installed Directors Chair (don't think so).

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Mr. Crow posted:

:gizz:

Can't wait. Though from your comment, you didn't adjust them for the DLC? Are they still passable or whats the deal? I remember going through Dead Money and having to uninstall Directors Chair because it made everything outside the water fountain area pitch black (also it's a buggy piece of poo poo and is what was causing all my constant crashes).

No I didn't, because I'd have to actually play the game myself for that for once. :D

I think stuff will look ok with the DLC, I have the feeling the most "extreme" in terms of settings and color mood is dead money, the other DLCs (haven't played them so I might be wrong) look like their weather/areas are pretty close to vanilla. If push comes to shove all post processing can literally be toggled on and off with the press of a key combination in game and then you can just play the DLC with vanilla settings. I pretty much don't use directors chair anymore either, only cinematech for film grain. The weather settings I did are pretty smallish too, I just took a few skies from project reality, gave them reasonable HDR settings and called it a day, I didn't shove like 40 weathertypes in there, I think that's pretty dumb anyways.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I've been trying to get water to work properly inside a partially flooded pump station. I've got it showing up and correctly reflecting and refracting everything, but there's still something off about it.

It seems like it's the refracted objects 'glow' slightly under the water (Mostly just the walls though) as I had the same problem before I set everything to reflect thinking that was the cause of it.

Anybody had this problem and/or know how to fix it?
Might be relevant to mention that this is the FO3 GECK.

Cerebulon fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 23, 2011

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How can you take just one selection of hair from Lings. I don't want to use the whole mod because my new game for some reason now gives all the female stupid anime hair that look awful.

Oh wait, it was a dumb esp I activated in Lings that I never had before doing this.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 23, 2011

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I was thinking of reinstalling New Vegas, and I came across nVamp. It looks like it combines a huge number of overhaul mods. However, the installation instructions on their main site are out of date, and the instructions on their forums are the most arcane I've ever seen. Are any of you using it, and could you tell me how it runs/how to actually install this thing?

Robotic_Towel
Sep 1, 2005

Not Machine Washable

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm in the same boat. Sometimes, it'll be 15 minutes after a load, but it's usually closer to an hour, or an hour and a half. I remember unmodded NV when I first got it, I could play for 7-8 hours with no crashes, compared to FO3 which crashed about once an hour without mods.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
Here is a good mod:
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40263

Light My Flare adds a number of road flares that you can buy from vendors. It's awesome, and they definitely come in handy if you're using a mod that darkens night. I don't like any of that night vision goggle stuff- it makes nights basically much less tense for me- and it seems a little cooler than a flashlight. You can drop the flares on the ground and they can stay lit as well. It seems to be related to a similar torch mod that I remember Oblivion having.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Okay, still have that problem. I get the stuttering 1-3 second pauses in game. I deleted the mods, defragged the game files, verified the files(it downloaded one), but it still stutters when I get to the gecko killing with Sunny. Should I delete it and redownload at this point?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

I was thinking of reinstalling New Vegas, and I came across nVamp. It looks like it combines a huge number of overhaul mods. However, the installation instructions on their main site are out of date, and the instructions on their forums are the most arcane I've ever seen. Are any of you using it, and could you tell me how it runs/how to actually install this thing?
nVamp is fairly huge and seems like it would be a bitch and a half to get working, not to mention add on to. If you just want an overhaul check out Project Nevada. It benefits from being modular and compact enough to play well with most other mods, as well as far-reaching enough to act as a full overhaul and breathe new life into the game. I quite like it and I think it's fairly well-regarded around this thread.

As a side note, there is an excellent guide to getting some of the most essential mods (including Project Nevada) working together here. You can skip the cosmetic sections but I found the guide invaluable as a novice NV modder.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

MadPierrot posted:

Here is a good mod:

Light My Flare adds a number of road flares that you can buy from vendors. It's awesome, and they definitely come in handy if you're using a mod that darkens night. I don't like any of that night vision goggle stuff- it makes nights basically much less tense for me- and it seems a little cooler than a flashlight. You can drop the flares on the ground and they can stay lit as well. It seems to be related to a similar torch mod that I remember Oblivion having.

Oh cool, I've always wanted a flare mod :)

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

You can also use them as shotgun ammunition.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

Okay, didn't see an answer. So I get stuttering, like 1-3 seconds. I uninstalled the mods, defragged the game files, and then verified the cache. It downloaded a file, and the stuttering is slightly better, but still happens. Any clue as to why?
I would assume the stuttering stopped because of there being no mods, but that's just a guess. What I do know is the best way to fix stuttering is editing the ini file or well using New Vegas Configator which will allow you to turn on options that reduce stuttering.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

jvempire posted:

I would assume the stuttering stopped because of there being no mods, but that's just a guess. What I do know is the best way to fix stuttering is editing the ini file or well using New Vegas Configator which will allow you to turn on options that reduce stuttering.

Thanks! I'll use the configator, it sounds like it'd be simpler to use. Any clue as to what options I should look for? Or would it say once I use it?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any mods show up yet for the Lonesome Road yet? Was going to wait on picking the DLC up, but a friend gifted me the add-on, so I might as well grab any fixes for it.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

Thanks! I'll use the configator, it sounds like it'd be simpler to use. Any clue as to what options I should look for? Or would it say once I use it?
These tweak guides should help explain some of the options more, and they also suggest setting numbers too:
http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_8.html (fallout 3 tweaks still apply to new vegas)
http://segmentnext.com/2010/11/02/fallout-new-vegas-tweak-guide/

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cantorsdust posted:

Honestly, you're better off not using this. The last build was in early March, prior to a large official patch being pushed out. The comments section on the Nexus is pretty much a laundry list of bugs and complaints. And most of the mods that have been combined have changed radically since then, meaning you're missing out on a lot of newer features and DLC support. NVamp was a good idea at the time, because most overhauls were incomplete and could complement each other (somewhat.) That's changed, however.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

As a side note, there is an excellent guide to getting some of the most essential mods (including Project Nevada) working together here. You can skip the cosmetic sections but I found the guide invaluable as a novice NV modder.

This looks really cool, and I've been watching it for a while. I think I'm going to link it in the OP.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 23, 2011

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Anybody got an idea of what it is? It's the last major hurdle between me having all of my stuff back. I'll still need Desert Scorpion and the Reflectron, but those are minor. Why DS is under review and why Reflection is hidden is beyond me.

I'm not sure why DS has been under review for so long, but if you check Naky's previous posts, I think he uploaded it somewhere.

EDIT: Found it.

Naky posted:

NVBS FOMOD mirror, with the Robert's Body patch and a 'cheat' version of the NVBS esp that spawns a chest behind the Prospector's Saloon with all the armors in case you're one of the people who suffer from the suits not loading into the Gun Runners.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 23, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
DS apparently has art assets from another game or something, RE maybe I'm not sure. And yet AlexScorpion releases a slightly mesh tweaked ripped-from-MSG4 headband on nexus and all's swell in Nexusland and Ahztek is STILL running around unbanned despite a credit section that simply states 'Thanks to the people of FPSBanana' (or it did the last time I checked) and commercial assets from EA in Shrapnel too.

Basically, if you're a popular modder with a popular mod, you will be fine regardless of what you release there. If they start banning the popular modders and their mods, their traffic will drop and therefore their ad revenue and premium sales will drop. Every once in a while they'll play a game of musical chairs and someone will be 'made example of' but for the most part the hypocrisy runs rampant.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

MadPierrot posted:

Here is a good mod:

The problem I have with dark nights in games with lots of ranged combat is the same as tall grass or other permeable-but-vision-impairing stuff, namely that NPCs have no trouble seeing you through all the poo poo because purely visual effects don't impact them at all. I'm pretty certain that NPCs get a penalty to spotting you while you're hiding at night, but once they have seen you they can just keep shooting you even once you have stopped firing or moved or whatever and are completely covered by darkness.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

So I searched the thread and Nexus, but I didn't see what I'm looking for. Is there a mod that removes the annoying voice from the X13 armor? I'm so sick of that voice talking to me while I'm trying to sneak around.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Someone add some sleeves onto the duster from Lonesome Road. My noodle armed white boy doesn't look cool in it at all.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Also someone made a bullpup reload animation resource.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40365

Thought this could possibly help you, Naky.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

MadPierrot posted:

Also someone made a bullpup reload animation resource.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40365

Thought this could possibly help you, Naky.

:staredog:

Weeeeeeelll, while I appreciate the attempt to help, WAR has the bullpup animations included in it and it's been a mandatory, required mod for The Armory since almost the very beginning :) I've had full bullpup animation support since March or so, and was helping out joefoxx with comments on his test videos on youtube back in February because I have no life oh god

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

bunky posted:

So I searched the thread and Nexus, but I didn't see what I'm looking for. Is there a mod that removes the annoying voice from the X13 armor? I'm so sick of that voice talking to me while I'm trying to sneak around.

Here you go, but keep in mind I haven't used it, so I have no idea if it works as intended.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

I've never used a bullpup rifle so I guess I didn't know that! Sorry, I always assumed that Gamebryo had goofy problems with bullpups and no one had ever fixed it.

whalebiologist
Apr 3, 2009

oh jeepers, this doesn't seem to be working
I can't seem to equip chalk's headdress with any other head item, as well as breathing masks from LR. Is there a mod that makes it possible to equip more head/face items together?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I have to give a big "thank you!" to whoever made the Signature Weapon/Armor mods (I forgot who). I'm running a game with AWOP (with the reduced NPCs patch) and my character has earned a doctorate of laserology, traveling the Mojave wearing a stealth-field equipped, reinforced labcoat.

I've gotten to the point that my tricked-out AER laser (the unique one with green beams that eats two MF cells/shot) I one-shot everything if I get a sneak attack. Even Deathclaws and Mr. House's Securitrons. If I don't get a critical everything dies in two shots, maybe three.

AWOP has become A World Of Farce, and it amuses me to no end. I shudder to think of the juggernaut I would be if I made my signature equipment something like a gauss rifle or reinforced leather armor.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A few pages ago I asked for a mod recommendation where my weapons would get sorted by type. Well I got no answers but I found the perfect mod by myself.

It's BIS Brumbeks Inventory Sorting which actually divides weapons into guns/energy/explosive/melee/unarmed and is up to date with all the DLCs. So it does what the most endorsed Inventory Sorters Mod doesn't. I highly recommend it to anybody who has problems with sorting their weapon collection.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
Jonnyeah (WME author) made me a nice little .esp that makes Christine's COS rifle from OWB use a separate texture, so I made use of that:

Black plastic, lighter metal and a little BOS logo.

Available here under optional files:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=44006

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
I'm not gonna read through a thousand posts, so how would you guys rank Lonesome Road compared to the other DLC? I've got all the other DLC, so should I get this now or wait until it's on sale at Thanksgiving, or Christmas?

EDIT: Sorry, I thought this was the regular New Vegas Thread and realized I was wrong. You can disregard this post unless you just want to answer it.

the_Vandal fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What usually causes a crash during startup once all mods have been disabled? I know other people have complained of this, but I can't remember what it was.