Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sticks: $80
Tape and wax and jersey and poo poo: $40
New helmet: $85
League fees: $510
Hockey tonight: Priceless

Send me the royalties when they roll in, Visa.

(I am going to suck so, so bad on the ice. I hope my addiction to NHL12 has maintained my hockey sense at least.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pleads posted:

(I am going to suck so, so bad on the ice. I hope my addiction to NHL12 has maintained my hockey sense at least.)

It won't. Trust me.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Pleads posted:

the hockey sense will probably be there. What will be conspicuously absent is your view of the ice outside a five foot circle centered around your feet.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

True, true.

At least I don't have to worry about loving hipchecks of doom?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pleads posted:

True, true.

At least I don't have to worry about loving hipchecks of doom?

Just flying pucks of doom.

I'm glad I bought heavy pads because I've developed a knack for standing in someone's way when they're about to shoot.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Well we lost 7-2, but in our defence the other team was much better. Passing circles around us, really hard puck pressure, etc etc.

I think I was like -3 or -4 and I only really have an excuse for one, but I'm hoping my worst game is behind me and the best team is behind us. Guess we'll see.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

xzzy posted:

I'm glad I bought heavy pads because I've developed a knack for standing in someone's way when they're about to shoot.

The top team this year in my league had a big dude that liked to slap em from the point, and he was usually their most dangerous goal scorer too. In the semi's we were crowding him as soon as he got the puck so he couldn't get a shot off, so he just started slapping em right into us before he even reached the blue line. I almost caught one in the gap between my pants and pads but luckily my stick was in the way.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

D C posted:

THEY CAME!

Like $2,000 in skates, ugh.

Man those are sexy. :fap:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Dangerllama posted:

Seriously. Where all my CO goons at?

Breckenridge, CO. Skating at 10,000 feet above sea level. Snow fall is dusting the mountains every night now. Cold as gently caress, too: below freezing once the sun sets this time of year.

Just finished our first league game last night with a 4-1 victory. I had some great chances but fanned on everything - total bummer. My positioning felt good, though, and had some good pushes so no worries from my captain.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Lunch league "A" league starts tomorrow. I'm a 6/10 (the lowest level allowed) and nervous as poo poo. In preparation, I'm downing Avery Brewing Company's Old Jubilation like it's Gatorade. Half these guys used to play college.

Maybe if I fight some dudes...

Ironically, we did almost have a fight (not me, but apparently no one told this other guy that contact is...discouraged). God drat I love being back "A" lunch league. I was loving exhausted by the end of the first trying to keep up with guys who have been playing since they were fetuses. Great hockey.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Dangerllama posted:

Ironically, we did almost have a fight (not me, but apparently no one told this other guy that contact is...discouraged). God drat I love being back "A" lunch league. I was loving exhausted by the end of the first trying to keep up with guys who have been playing since they were fetuses. Great hockey.

Where are you in CO, Dangerllama?

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Also joining the new skates club

Also picked up a pair of 2010 CCM U+ pro sticks for 50% off.

Hockey starts next friday and I can't wait.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Where are you in CO, Dangerllama?

I'm down in Denver. I play lunch league up at Boulder Valley Ice, and I've got an evening league down at DU.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Petit.Conan posted:

Also joining the new skates club

Also picked up a pair of 2010 CCM U+ pro sticks for 50% off.

Hockey starts next friday and I can't wait.

I love those lace locks Reebok puts on, but drat if their foot shape doesn't cause me some grief. :gonk:

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to Graf. I want to love them but I just can't get comfortable in a pair.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

xzzy posted:

I love those lace locks Reebok puts on, but drat if their foot shape doesn't cause me some grief. :gonk:

Bad luck buddy, I just got a pair of 9K's and those things have fit me snuggly with no pain day 1 without baking, I must have the most average feet in the world.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Petit.Conan posted:

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to Graf. I want to love them but I just can't get comfortable in a pair.

The thing about Grafs is that the higher numbers arent necessarily the better skates, every one of their models is designed to fit differently.

I used to sell them and that was the hardest thing to explain to people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

D C posted:

The thing about Grafs is that the higher numbers arent necessarily the better skates, every one of their models is designed to fit differently.

I used to sell them and that was the hardest thing to explain to people.

Someone needs to explain that to stores too, because when I was shopping around most of them only had one or two Graf options available.

"Oh yeah if you want to try this other skate we can bring it in from another store! It should be here next week!"

I know these places can't afford to hang onto stock no one will ever want, but it seems like a losing proposition for Graf.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

First game of my new evening C league tonight. Good times, and I learned a lot. Things like:

- Have two different jerseys for your team. Blue vs. Green can cause a lot of gently caress-ups. I made a pressured pass straight to an opposing forward on our blue-line that gave him a 1-on-1. They wound up scoring on the play. I nearly broke my stick I slammed it into the goal post so hard.

- Hockey skates be sharp. If you get cut, you'll bleed like a stuck pig. We had a guy's skate cut his ankle for what needed probably four stitches. In true hockey fashion, he just threw some gauze on it and finished the game. His foot looked like it just came from a horror movie in the locker room. Imagine the Eye of Sauron. Now imagine that on someone's foot. Good times.

--

Has anyone picked up the "mystery stick 2-pack" pack from hockeymonkey? My Warrior Kronik is starting to chip in the toe, and my Easton Typhoon is older than half of the Avs roster, so I'm debating just getting two random sticks.

Any other recommendations? I'd like to spend less than $120-$130 on a new stick.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

I nearly broke my stick I slammed it into the goal post so hard.

Don't be that guy... especially if you are spending that much cash on a stick. It's C league hockey. It's really not worth it :shobon:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dangerllama posted:

Has anyone picked up the "mystery stick 2-pack" pack from hockeymonkey? My Warrior Kronik is starting to chip in the toe, and my Easton Typhoon is older than half of the Avs roster, so I'm debating just getting two random sticks.

Any other recommendations? I'd like to spend less than $120-$130 on a new stick.

I got an Easton Synergy SE2 and a Bauer Supreme One55 for $80 + tax at SportChek, they were having a sale. Dunno how wide-spread said sale is, though. Also depends what level of hockey you are playing, these suit my beer league fine.

e: Both for $80+tax, not each.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 25, 2011

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My 727 Grafs are the best thing ever since my old CCM Tacks. Worth every penny.

I've had my Z-bubble grips which both broke the first day I got them, but the replacements have lasted 7 years I have no idea why these things won't break they've been through hell. *knock on wood*

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Welp, we've lost the first two games of the season but 4-1 is way better than 8-0 (the first game). I managed 2 shots and won 2 of maybe 10 faceoffs but I think I was only a -1.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Sprained the ever living poo poo out of my ankle at open skate yesterday. My rookie league starts on Oct 19th. Hopefully 20 or so days will be enough to recover.

On the plus side, I was the only goober wearing a helmet yesterday, and it probably saved me an ambulance ride.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
For that $100 range of sticks the Easton 65S looks really awesome. I thought it felt as good as the x60.

Also I played defense for the first time in a long long time last night. I did not have the legs for playing two thirds of a game.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ahaha... I have an early game on the evening where 3 projects, 2 weeks each in the making are being run. We'll have trouble enough getting enough resources for the day.

:shepface: Sorry boss, ducking out early for hockey.

He's gonna love it when I tell him.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Our league started last Sunday while I was out of the country on vacation. Whomp whomp. However we played a double header last night. The legs felt a bit heavy the first game and my hands were like rocks but by the second game I was skating and playing better. Ahh hockey how I've missed you

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Pleads posted:

Ahaha... I have an early game on the evening where 3 projects, 2 weeks each in the making are being run. We'll have trouble enough getting enough resources for the day.

:shepface: Sorry boss, ducking out early for hockey.

He's gonna love it when I tell him.

He should respect that you have your priorities straight :colbert:

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

So our first game is scheduled on Rosh HaShana, which I admittedly didn't know was on Thursday, but then its not my job to schedule the games is it? Turns out half my team is Jewish. So much for all those carefully planned lines!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Thufir posted:

He should respect that you have your priorities straight :colbert:

My boss usually gathers around my hockey stuff when I bring it into the office. Most of the time he makes a paper ball and grabs a stick and shoots the paper. Hes also reached in and grabbed my gloves, putting them on and punching one of the other guys in the shoulder and then complain about his hands stinking all day.

Luckily they never really have a problem with me leaving early for hockey. Or coming in late because of it. The day after we won the champion ship :smug: I was more hungover than I have been in years. I came in around 10 and blamed it all on hockey.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

Also I played defense for the first time in a long long time last night. I did not have the legs for playing two thirds of a game.

See, you're skating too hard. Just do what half the guys I play with do and guard the poo poo out of your own blue-line. All night long. Puck's in the offensive zone? No worries. Your blue-line is secure :smug:

Puck's low in your zone? That's the center's responsibility! Your blue-line is secure :smug:

Thanks for the stick advice guys. I'm keeping an eye on hockeymonkey's clearance rack. Maybe snag another Warrior (a luxury, once sampled, becomes a necessity).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Scored a goal last night by punching it into the net mid-air. It didn't count :(

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
So after two months of doing almost nothing physical due to birthing classes coinciding with my league night, buying and moving into a new house taking up a shitload of time, work being crazy until a few weeks ago, I finally have some time on my hands now that the house is in good shape, my lawn is mowed, and work has calmed down. So, I played my first game since July on Thursday, went to the gym for a back workout on Saturday morning, and then spent a few hours Saturday afternoon pulling weeds out of my yard. My legs are shot. More than anything, my hamstring is dead due to the deadlifts and deadlift-like weed pulling on Saturday. So looking forward to getting back into a regular workout schedule again...at least, until the baby comes in late October. I'm also pretty sure I put on like 5 lbs after almost hitting my 160lb goal weight back in mid-August. :(

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Are you should be playing hockey if you're due in October?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Dangerllama posted:

If a puck to the stomach takes the baby out, then he was never meant to be a hockey player anyway.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

A truly worthy hockey child would deflect it smartly into the corner for the defence to retrieve.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
So I forgot my jock strap last night heading to my late night (10pm) weekly Sunday hockey. Got the message from the wife that something stunk in the basement about half way to the arena. Decided I could spare a few minutes to drive back home and grab it.

Luckily I did. Goalie was down, I stood tall to block a shot and took it off the cup. Puck landed near the goalie who covered it.

Owe. :(

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

My sarcasm detector is really broken cause I can't tell if you are serious or not.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Dangerllama posted:

Ugh, you know, I am sick and tired of hearing this. The University's medical department calls me every loving day with their "This violates the terms of the agreement you signed prior to implantation" bullshit, and I'm just letting it go to voicemail at this point. Sure, I'm a little clunkier in the corners and I've learned to go down more gently when blocking shots, but it hasn't affected me too much otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Protip: Sharpen your skates more often than every 4-5 months. I've never spent so much time laying on the ice than this past weekend, sheesh.