Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sperg Victorious posted:

I'm not sure how you're managing your collections, but using the Kindle Collections plugin for Calibre might help a lot.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118635

I am, and it works, but it's annoying to have to run the plug-in thing and then hard reset your Kindle every time you put new stuff on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweeneyTodd
May 30, 2002

Forums Barber
Just wanted to note that Kindle support is coming very soon for Overdrive-enabled public libraries. (Amazon's announced it's available, but since it just happened, your local library may not have it enabled yet.)

As far as Kindle collections and Calibre, I've resigned myself to just managing my collections on the Kindle. If you stick to, say, adding a bunch of books by genre, bulk adding them to a collection is pretty quick.

SweeneyTodd fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 21, 2011

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
After an abysmal attempt at comparing readers at my local Best Buy yesterday (not a single e-reader, and half the tablets were simply non functional), I went to a Barnes and Noble to check out the nooks. Being somewhat familiar with my fiance's kindle, I ended up picking up a nook touch. It's about the same heft as the kindle, but I really prefer the touch screen over the kindle's screen because the last several years of developing touch screen software have sort of rewired me to want to touch everything.

All-in-all I'm pretty happy with it, and am in the process of tearing through the guttenberg project for free reads.
Thanks for all the advice dudes.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

SweeneyTodd posted:

Just wanted to note that Kindle support is coming very soon for Overdrive-enabled public libraries. (Amazon's announced it's available, but since it just happened, your local library may not have it enabled yet.)

As far as Kindle collections and Calibre, I've resigned myself to just managing my collections on the Kindle. If you stick to, say, adding a bunch of books by genre, bulk adding them to a collection is pretty quick.

Here's Amazon's page on it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000718231

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

SweeneyTodd posted:

My county doesn't have eBook lending, but the neighboring one does and I have a card through them.

You have no idea how long I've waited for this poo poo.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Newtie posted:

The Kindle jailbreak & screensaver hack is surprisingly painless. I've replaced all the default screensavers with art from this site. Also lots of LCARS backgrounds, because the Kindle is basically a PADD & I'm exactly that kind of nerd.

This is sweet. (Although I did download more recent versions of the jailbreak and screensaver hacks.)

As for wallpapers, google image search for black and white and exact dimensions of 600x800 is awesome.

Lurker12341234
Sep 2, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I ended up getting a nook (2/simple) since amazon won't ship their kindles to apo addresses anymore. Strangely, amazon WAS willing to let me buy a nook from their site.

It's actually pretty nice and does exactly what I need it to do, which is to allow me to read books on the go.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They are all awesome, but they are all awesome at some things. I love my sony, but I wish it had wireless like the nook and kindle.

Then you will love the Sony T1, has wifi, and microSD slot. Plastic case, but not sure how big a deal that is.

NZ link, http://www.sony.co.nz/product/prs-t1.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Manifest posted:

Who is a bigger jerk about remote deletion of content you own at the moment?
I know Barnes and Noble had some scandal where they were remotely wiping people's nooks, and Amazon had the big mess when they deleted 1984 off of everyone's kindle.
At this point everyone seems to be very pro kindle, but can anyone point out why the nook even exists if the kindle is so much better?

The B&N thing wasn't intentional, and the Amazon thing was about wiping a book that was being distributed illegally through their service. Considering the amount of flack they got over that, I imagine Amazon isn't going to bother doing it again unless there's some dire need.

I think they even said that next time they would just stop distributing the book and wouldn't go so far as to wipe it off of peoples' devices.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Oh by the way, Amazon didn't delete the file from people's kindles. They deleted it from the cloud library (I'm not sure what the actual name is). So if you didn't have the file on your kindle, you weren't able to redownload it through whispernet again.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I went with a Kindle because Amazon's library was (is?) the biggest. At the end of the day, my e-reader is just a fancy paperweight if the book I want to read isn't published on the Kindle (which thankfully, hasn't happened yet).

However, after I bought the thing, I fell in love with the Kindle SERVICE. I have several different smart phones (I'm a phone nerd), and I love how the Kindle service automatically syncs what page you're on across all your devices. I'll buy a book on my Kindle and read a few pages, then resume it on my Android phone while on the can at work. Then I'll switch to my iPhone as I go away for the weekend and pick up the book exactly where I left off.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Welp, it happened. My Kindle 3 screen screwed up - time to get a replacement! Its going to be a hard month without my Kindle :'(

Can anybody recommend a sweet screen protector?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

Welp, it happened. My Kindle 3 screen screwed up - time to get a replacement! Its going to be a hard month without my Kindle :'(

Can anybody recommend a sweet screen protector?

Why would you have to wait a month? Call Amazon and they'll ship you a brand new one for free as long as you return the busted one in the same packaging. Shouldn't take more than a few days from what others have posted in here.

SweeneyTodd
May 30, 2002

Forums Barber
My wife insisted I get a book-style leather case for mine, and I figured that was overkill. I was wrong -- it's probably the best way to protect the Kindle's screen that I can think of.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Why would you have to wait a month? Call Amazon and they'll ship you a brand new one for free as long as you return the busted one in the same packaging. Shouldn't take more than a few days from what others have posted in here.
I live in New Zealand and it takes about that for Amazon products to get here. I don't have the original packaging either :o

^^ Thanks for the cover tip!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Does anyone know when CYOAs/Interactive Fiction games are going to be available on UK kindles?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

Does anyone know when CYOAs/Interactive Fiction games are going to be available on UK kindles?

http://parchment.toolness.com/

I guess this doesn't help as much if you've only got the wifi version, but it's nice for 3G!

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

I live in New Zealand and it takes about that for Amazon products to get here. I don't have the original packaging either :o

I think it's returned in the packaging the new one comes in.

I'm surprised about the delivery times, too - I'm in somewhat regional Australia, and my new Kindle took a bit over four days to travel from West Philadelphia to my door.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Gorbash posted:

I'm surprised about the delivery times, too - I'm in somewhat regional Australia, and my new Kindle took a bit over four days to travel from West Philadelphia to my door.
Me too & the hard copy books i ordered in at the same time, same shipping rate still took 40ish days to arrive.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Gorbash posted:

Amazon just told me it'll take two working days which is swell! ^^^ But you are right branedotorg, it can vary quite a bit. Because I accidently leaned something on it instead of dropping it apparently that falls outside the warranty so I'll have to front up $65 for a replacement. Is this fair?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Seems fair, warranties are for manufacturing errors, not accidents. It's about au$100 cheaper than a new one inc. shipping.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I'm so close to just ordering a drat Kindle. Can I afford it? Barely. Do I want want? Yes god drat it. I've been viewing the Kindle library for a week trying to convince myself not to get it.

Edit: gently caress it, I just ordered myself a Kindle. I can't wait to get my paws on it.

Why is the Lord of the Rings more expensive as an ebook than it is in paperback? That doesn't make much sense to me.

DrKrankenwagen fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 24, 2011

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Puttblug posted:

I'm so close to just ordering a drat Kindle. Can I afford it? Barely. Do I want want? Yes god drat it. I've been viewing the Kindle library for a week trying to convince myself not to get it.

Edit: gently caress it, I just ordered myself a Kindle. I can't wait to get my paws on it.

Why is the Lord of the Rings more expensive as an ebook than it is in paperback? That doesn't make much sense to me.
Because publishers.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
:wtc: My brand new replacement Kindle, that I got in the mail three weeks ago is doing the exact same thing as the first one. Half the screen frozen on the screen saver, bunch of lines and then a small segment of the screen that refreshes and shows text. Am I doing something wrong!? I've been super-paranoid with this one, keeping it in it's case all the time and not putting it on the floor next to the bed so it doesn't get stepped on or anything. What the gently caress?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Could the case be causing it?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I'm thinking about getting my brother an e-reader for his birthday. I have a Kindle DX and love it, my sister has a Kindle 3 and loves it, my mom has a Nook Color and loves it. We're no strangers to e-readers. The thing is, I can't afford to spend much more than about $60-$80. Any suggestions? New or used, I don't care. What one would you want to buy yourself with that budget?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Fire In The Disco posted:

I'm thinking about getting my brother an e-reader for his birthday. I have a Kindle DX and love it, my sister has a Kindle 3 and loves it, my mom has a Nook Color and loves it. We're no strangers to e-readers. The thing is, I can't afford to spend much more than about $60-$80. Any suggestions? New or used, I don't care. What one would you want to buy yourself with that budget?

If you can squeeze the extra 19$, the Kindle wi-fi is refurbished for 99$.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Fire In The Disco posted:

There was a price drop recently for the Nook 1st edition. It's only $89 right now.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LamoTheKid posted:

If you can squeeze the extra 19$, the Kindle wi-fi is refurbished for 99$.

The Kindle refurb ad version is 85 at the moment.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Amazon... Fire? Nook Color 2? Christmas $250 tablet showdown!

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I contacted Kindle today using their live-chat help feature and told them my Kindle screen was buggered, and asked what to do. They asked me if "to the best of my knowledge" it had had any pressure applied to it or water spilled on it. I told them I first noticed the problem after having it packed in my checked luggage on a plane flight, but that I wasn't sure exactly when it happened between leaving my house and arriving at my accommodation after the flight. They said no problem and are sending me a new one! I live in Australia. Maybe it's just here, but seriously you don't get customer service like that much anymore.

I know that this means I'll continue to buy ebooks which has got to be in their interest, but still.. I don't even have to pay for the international shipping. Awesome stuff. So, so pleased.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Amazon just announced the Amazon Fire (7 inch tablet) for $200,
Kindle Touch for $99 (eInk, with touchscreen and without any keys) and Kindle Touch 3G for $150.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/28/live-from-amazons-tablet-event-in-nyc/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Tamba posted:

Kindle Touch for $99 (eInk, with touchscreen and without any keys) and Kindle Touch 3G for $150.

Are these prices for the regular or special offers versions though?

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
Well I know what's going to be on my Christmas list. I am such a huge advocate for Amazon it's disturbing, I want one of each!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
With ads:
- 79 USD for a Kindle with buttons (no keyboard) wifi
- 99 USD for a Kindle touch wifi
- 149 USD for a Kindle touch 3g

Without ads:
- 109 USD Kindle
- 139 USD Kindle touch wifi
- 189 USD Kindle touch 3G

No "big" Kindle with buttons. I'm not sure how I feel about this - depends how well their "one-hand-use"-system works and if the touchscreen influences the screen quality.

Decius fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 28, 2011

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

AreYouStillThere posted:

Well I know what's going to be on my Christmas list. I am such a huge advocate for Amazon it's disturbing, I want one of each!
How long until Amazon is big enough (in consumer devices) to warrant an Apple-like reaction at every one of its announcements?

"OMG CAN'T WAIT"
"ugh you amazombies make me sik, try [other device] instead of following the hurd"

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
This is the first time I've ever been tempted by a tablet, but I think I'll stick with my current Kindle for now. I :love: e-ink, but it does look pretty slick.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The touch interface works just like the app. Touch center for menu, left side to go left right side to go right.

I might sell my 3G and get the 3G Touch.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm glad to see that they are still going to sell gen3 (now called Kindle Keyboard). I would be interested in the touch if they still had the buttons to flip pages, but at least you now have choice.

As for the fire, I'll wait untill their next gen comes out or they release a 3G version with a good competetive data plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

Tamba posted:

Looking nice and well within my budget.. too bad I live in europe :sigh:

• Locked thread