Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Anyone know how the Star Trek TOS blu-rays sold? I just got into Star Trek TNG and I decided to check out the remastered first season and it looks amazing and I'm finding it watchable so far (all factors considered). A little late to the party, I know.

I went looking for TNG blu-ray information and it's definitely in the works. A four-episode tester is being put out likely in December. And LeVar Burton put out that positive tweet of when he got a sneak peek at the remaster. Turns out they have to remaster it as well since the show was shot on film, but the effects were done in 480p so it would be a real disservice to just upscale everything (as it would have been for TOS). I'm hoping the tester is well-received and they can go on to full production. Anyway, that's why I ask about the sales of the TOS blu-rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm kind of curious about the Star Trek TOS blu-rays. Are there any changes made that made fans grumble, or are all the changes good ones?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
For those who like Harry Potter, Warner Brothers is selling a lot of different packages that come with various things through their website only:

http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-WB-Site/default/Page-Show?cid=HP_EXCLUSIVES_LANDING&src=EWBIRHP&adid=0911WBIREml

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Steve Yun posted:

I'm kind of curious about the Star Trek TOS blu-rays. Are there any changes made that made fans grumble, or are all the changes good ones?

The changes all work but they also included the original, unfucked with, version too if that's your thing.

old:

new:

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

I love the changes, as they're entirely about touch-up and not about adding stupid unnecessary poo poo in the background. The CG ship looks fantastic, and the planets look a lot more vibrant and diverse than before. Even so, it also has the advantage of having the original effects on the disc, selectable with the push of a button, so original purists can't grumble too hard.

Edit: Beaten, kind of

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The visual quality is also incredible across the board.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
So I'm guessing the sales isn't something that one would worry about? Still, it's a tremendous undertaking to redo the effects.

But I imagine that TNG is the most popular series so it would sell even better than TOS. Anyone who likes TOS first probably likes TNG, but not necessarily the other way around. That's my impression from my generation anyway.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Breakfast at Tiffany's really looks great. Just fantastic.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

After watching the entire first season with the enhanced graphics there were only 2 scenes that I can think of that seemed Lucas-ish with the CGI. Most of the time the improvements are very natural and unobtrusive.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo

:siren:HMV IS SELLING THE ALIEN ANTHOLOGY SIX-DISK BLU RAY FOR loving £13.99:siren:

http://tinyurl.com/43qu38h

THIS IS NOT A DRILL. REPEAT: THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

Seriously though, I doubt I'll ever see a bargain this ridiculous again. I couldn't possibly order it fast enough. Go! Go!

edit: AMAZON HAVE PRICE MATCHED: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B003AQBYUG/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t

Sorry for all the caps but seriously, this is insane.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 22, 2011

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Adrianics posted:

:siren:HMV IS SELLING THE ALIEN ANTHOLOGY SIX-DISK BLU RAY FOR loving £13.99:siren:

Seriously though, I doubt I'll ever see a bargain this ridiculous again. I couldn't possibly order it fast enough. Go! Go!

edit: AMAZON HAVE PRICE MATCHED: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B003AQBYUG/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t

Christmas Presents for all of my friends sorted. This is amazing.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Steve Yun posted:

They're completely optional, unlike the Star Wars enhancements.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Hah, $23 shipped to the US for the AA. That's amazing.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Thank you for that, I absolutely bought those. $23 USD for the entire anthology, compared to $66 + shipping on US Amazon? Hell yes.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Was actually thinking about getting that set a couple of days ago, guess I have a better reason now :)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Alien Anthology is compatible with US blu-ray players, correct? Thank you thank you thank you.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

fenix down posted:

After watching the entire first season with the enhanced graphics there were only 2 scenes that I can think of that seemed Lucas-ish with the CGI. Most of the time the improvements are very natural and unobtrusive.

And even some of the more obtrusive shots are really well done:

Because it's not flashy, and, I believe, they actually used the original shot but just zoomed out and put a digital matte around it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

morestuff posted:

The Alien Anthology is compatible with US blu-ray players, correct? Thank you thank you thank you.

Cursory google to the blu-ray.com forums states that it is region free.

Thanks for letting us know this is happening!

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

morestuff posted:

Yes, it is. There was a deal very similar to this a few months back.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Jet Li's Dragon Dynasty Triple Feature dropped down to $22.49 on Amazon. It ships October 11th.

$7.50 each for Fist Of Legend, Fong Sai Yuk and Tai Chi Master.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005KK2FZI

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Adrianics posted:

Thank you so much :)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I feel like getting another animated movie on Bluray soon (Tangled is seriously one of my favorites for how gorgeous it is)

Thing is, I can only afford one.

What are some good stuff I can get? The Lion King tempts me, but I've seen it a thousand times and it doesn't have as much of a childhood impact to me like other disney movies (Aladdin was way better), and the new Winnie the Pooh might be good if it'll actually come down in price. (last I saw, it was 29.99)

Or if there's two films out now I can get for a combined $30, I'd go for it.

Already have:
Tangled
Rango
How to train your Dragon
Secret of Kells

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'd vote for Persepolis or The Incredibles or even Megamind. Am I in the minority on Megamind? I really dug it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Maybe give The Illusionist a try?

I really enjoyed it even though it is a bittersweet experience.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Illusionist-Blu-ray/20608/#Review

(I would recommend The Triplets of Belleville over it but it hasn't received a stateside release yet)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 23, 2011

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Red posted:

I'd vote for Persepolis or The Incredibles or even Megamind. Am I in the minority on Megamind? I really dug it.

Megamind was a lot of fun and very rewatchable. I've heard some negative stuff about the BluRay though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fantastic Mr. Fox is probably cheap as hell now, and might be the best looking blu-ray I have.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Fantastic Mr. Fox is probably cheap as hell now, and might be the best looking blu-ray I have.

Well that wins for being only 14 bucks. Also, it's based off a pretty good story, and I've never actually seen the film.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Ineffiable posted:

Well that wins for being only 14 bucks. Also, it's based off a pretty good story, and I've never actually seen the film.

Do like like Wes Anderson? If not, you'll hate it.

If you're not awful on the inside, you'll love it, and it seriously looks absolutely incredible on blu-ray.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Wall•E

If you don't own that, you're a bad person with thick, gooey black poo poo where your heart should be.

e: so out of spite we're watching Jedi on DVD. I worked around the tiny, smooshed frame Lucas worked into the un-hosed-with DVD with my tv's zoom. Only to find that the sound is 2-channel stereo. loving goddamn shitass son of a whore. WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH HIM?

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 23, 2011

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Tony Danza Claus posted:

loving goddamn shitass son of a whore. WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH HIM?

I don't really think he's bothered by the criticisms from what is probably a very small minority:

quote:

After just a week on store shelves, "Star Wars: The Complete Saga" on Blu-ray has already set global sales records.

Lucasfilm and Twentieth Century Fox have so far sold one million units of the Blu-ray box set, which launched on September 16, including 515,000 units in North America alone. With that many unit sales, according to the film studios, "Star Wars" is now the "bestselling catalog Blu-ray Disc of all time."

In addition, the "Star Wars" Blu-ray set generated $84 million in worldwide revenue in the past week, including $38 million in North America, the companies said.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20110618-17/star-wars-breaks-blu-ray-sales-records/#ixzz1Ymdtii73

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Wall•E

If you don't own that, you're a bad person with thick, gooey black poo poo where your heart should be.

This is wrong. Wall-E was an awful, preachy miss for Pixar.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Topper Harley posted:

Are you on crazy pills? Wall-e was a critical and commercial success.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Wall•E

e: so out of spite we're watching Jedi on DVD. I worked around the tiny, smooshed frame Lucas worked into the un-hosed-with DVD with my tv's zoom. Only to find that the sound is 2-channel stereo. loving goddamn shitass son of a whore. WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH HIM?

poo poo, man. Where do I start?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

fenix down posted:

Are you on crazy pills? Wall-e was a critical and commercial success.

Yeah but it was preachy! It had a theme of maybe destroying the earth is bad! How dare they say true things in a funny kids movie! I like my movies dumb and with no point. Harumph.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Topper Harley posted:

:stare: Are you a woman? 'Cos a lot of women I know hated Wall•E.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Wow. I had no idea anyone could hate Wall-E. You're all terrible people.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:stare: Are you a woman? 'Cos a lot of women I know hated Wall•E.

Were they 45+?

(Yes, :rolleyes: at the source, but it's interesting that 14.9% of 45+ Women gave it a 1/10)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

frumpsnake posted:

Were they 45+?

(Yes, :rolleyes: at the source, but it's interesting that 14.9% of 45+ Women gave it a 1/10)

Yes actually, or close to it.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Topper Harley posted:

:goonsay:

Wall-E is a fantastic movie and any movie that says to pick up your poo poo is okay by me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
If DVDBeaver is to be trusted, the new Lionsgate Blu-Ray of Jackie Brown looks kinda assy and Gary Tooze doesn't notice at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
What the gently caress? Did he accidentally swap the top/bottom images? The Miramax looks soft and blown out.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 23, 2011

• Locked thread