Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I imagine they would, since the option is "some money" and "no money".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bohemian Nights posted:

This is a really good video by a BJJ black belt discussing some issues with girls and the jits.
http://bjjhacks.com/2011/09/adapting-bjj-for-women-hillary-williams/

Xguard, weren't you saying how all BJJ people grow to be the same shape? It's happening to her in the video -- the bull neck, the strong jaw, the tidy hair. :tinfoil:

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
Sorry, I should have explained. I'm not a foreigner, I'm a local. I went abroad and picked up bjj while I was away, but now I'm back I want to keep training.

TBH, it was at least partly the guy's attitude that put me off. I tried to negotiate with him a bit about the contract and he went "well I don't deal with the contracts, I've outsourced that whole thing to another company."

"Oh, well, do you at least have a copy of the contract I could take away and look at" - "No, we don't really have any of those here right now. Here's the contract for kids lessons. But you can't take it away, for [reasons that were not adequately explained]."

The other thing that got to me was that he was very vague about prices as well. I dunno, it struck me that the owner and head instructor should have a handle on how his contract system works, and he should be upfront when I ask about what prices are.

I will see about going for the one off free trial lesson, and see if I can talk to him again, but I'm not hopeful. Even if the instruction is good, it seems like a bad deal all round.

mewse
May 2, 2006

That sounds crazy, I guess they don't want new people to join

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I just moved out to Tyler, TX and was looking for some different classes around here. Overall, there's more than what I thought would be here (I came from the DFW area, and thought there wouldn't be crap out there). Luckily, I'm wrong.

Could anyone check out this website, and see if it looks halfway decent? It's definitely one of the best websites I've looked at in this area, but that really doesn't mean jack.

http://www.easttxkravmaga.com/

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Bahanahab posted:

I just moved out to Tyler, TX and was looking for some different classes around here. Overall, there's more than what I thought would be here (I came from the DFW area, and thought there wouldn't be crap out there). Luckily, I'm wrong.

Could anyone check out this website, and see if it looks halfway decent? It's definitely one of the best websites I've looked at in this area, but that really doesn't mean jack.

http://www.easttxkravmaga.com/

I'm at a krav alliance school and so far, I'm not very impressed. Plus I think that teaching gun techniques in a level 1 class is stupid. On the plus side, your school is Fit to fight certified (basically muay thai) and I'm a big fan of the program.

But go to the class, see if you like it or not.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm at a krav alliance school and so far, I'm not very impressed. Plus I think that teaching gun techniques in a level 1 class is stupid. On the plus side, your school is Fit to fight certified (basically muay thai) and I'm a big fan of the program.

But go to the class, see if you like it or not.

I was reading their descriptions of the levels (http://easttxkravmaga.com/blog2/programs/self-defense) and they don't start teaching gun techniques until level 3. Is that normal for a krav alliance school, or is this one just different in that part?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Bahanahab posted:

I was reading their descriptions of the levels (http://easttxkravmaga.com/blog2/programs/self-defense) and they don't start teaching gun techniques until level 3. Is that normal for a krav alliance school, or is this one just different in that part?

Huh. I guess my new school is just weird.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ManicParroT posted:

The other thing that got to me was that he was very vague about prices as well. I dunno, it struck me that the owner and head instructor should have a handle on how his contract system works, and he should be upfront when I ask about what prices are.

I will see about going for the one off free trial lesson, and see if I can talk to him again, but I'm not hopeful. Even if the instruction is good, it seems like a bad deal all round.

Refusing to discuss prices until after someone does their trial lesson is something I've run into as well. I can kind of see their thought process (it's going to be more than you want it to be, so they want to get you hooked first) but it is annoying as gently caress.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Schools feel they have to do that in order to survive. They are worried that people will shop schools as if they are fungible by price and they want to show what the school is like before discussing price. Also once the prospective student is in the door they can make a more effective sales pitch. Not all successful schools follow this but most do.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
In Soviet Finland, you can just open their website (or that of any fitness club or gym for that matter) and look at the prices and the contract agreement with handy utilization of the organ "eye". If you can't, then it's a really small club that trains in an underground cave and is so cheap they don't have a web page or they are like the boxing gym next door to where I live, who are not doing it for money anyway. And train in a series of cellar rooms, of course. They'll sell you a card with 10 classes at first and ask a reasonably small sum to cover it. If you are really into boxing, get along and want them to train you, you can probably find some other agreement later on.

It's interesting how the business side (and boasting about the superiority of the "system" practiced at the particular gym!) is that much more emphasized in US vs Finland and I believe much of Europe for that matter. At least it often appears so to me, I do not claim to possess the absolute truth in this. There's more cash involved in the US so maybe it's just natural.

(And I believe boxing gyms are more straightforward in the US too, correct me if I'm mistaken. The guy who runs it, after all, irregardless of the map location, is an old geezer who dresses in a worn cap and sleeps in the back room of his gym. I claim this movie stereotype is one of those that actually lean on reality to some extent.)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Office Sheep posted:

Speaking of breakfalls what is the verdict on throws that don't allow uki to have an arm to breakfall? Throws like in this video. This is the only video I found remotely similar to what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoqoIwe4QB4&feature=player_detailpage#t=277s

I've never done this particular throw but I have been been catching people in a grip where both of their arms are tied up like this and throwing people from it.

Thanks a lot for posting those videos, I watched a big part of the series and it's really nice and totally different from what I'm used to. I really like some of the grips he gets in those video and although it seems to be more "power based" than what usually works best for me, some of those moves worked pretty well for me last judo class and I'm trying them again tonight.

The "front belt" grip in particular was a big revelation to me, I just never even thought of grabbing the belt on the front. There's the 5 seconds limit and what have you, but it's still a nice alternative to have in some situations. The power and control you get from grabbing the belt is always surprising.

Anyone else watched the vids/tried some of this stuff?

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
The throws and ukemi in the vid definitely weren't perfect, but it was mainly an introduction to over/underhooks in standup gi fighting, and that stuff's all fairly standard in traditional Japanese judo too, though it seems like it gets saved for brown belts to prevent people from getting too kumi-kata centric before they develop their throwing. Try using a super-low-lapel grip instead of the belt, it'll work the same way and transfer more easily into high lapel and standard grips. Plus no one ever uses it so you get points for that.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
The guy in the video is Igor Yakimov. He seems to have a few championships in various things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Yakimov

What gets me about the video is how tired uki always appears. I came across it while looking for options to use out of over the shoulder belt grip. Since I am a lanky guy it's a grip I found I could get easily even before I knew throws from it or that it was a good thing.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
This is absolutely doing my head in. Whats the name of the trip where you wrap your forward leg around both their legs and fall on top of them?

e: nvm, its tane otoshi.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 23, 2011

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
Went to a kung fu lesson. There was lots of standing on one leg, standing in stress positions (like a semi squat) and doing push ups. I'm still pretty sore, it's been quite a while since I did any exercise.

The exercise seemed to be more about muscles and bodyweight exercise than cardio. Sort of like standing up yoga, or something, but with less bending.

I've found a 'white collar boxing' gym closish to my work and the train station which I'll go and check out, although it's a lot further from my house than the kung fu place.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
drat... Our coach is gone crazy! Yesterday we had the most intense class we ever had I think. The warm-up was brutal (HIIT pretty much) and then the whole class was pretty hard too. We did some quick succession of 1 newaza randori, 2x10 uchikomi (left right) and then change partner and do that again until you passed everyone (about 10 people yesterday). Then some Nage-Komi, then some sort of uchikomi that used 4 different movements and then we did some yaku-soku-geiko ("sparring" where your opponent doesn't try to block/stop/dodge your throws and accept the falls basically Uchikomis but you move around in a sparring fashion), and finished with some randoris. It's all pretty regular for a class I guess, but it was all done so intensely that everyone was just spent.

Ridleys Revenge posted:

The throws and ukemi in the vid definitely weren't perfect, but it was mainly an introduction to over/underhooks in standup gi fighting, and that stuff's all fairly standard in traditional Japanese judo too, though it seems like it gets saved for brown belts to prevent people from getting too kumi-kata centric before they develop their throwing. Try using a super-low-lapel grip instead of the belt, it'll work the same way and transfer more easily into high lapel and standard grips. Plus no one ever uses it so you get points for that.

Cool, I,ll give the ultra-low lapel grip a try just to see how I like it. It sure is pissing people off when I do these weird grips. I always like having more options!

Nierbo posted:

This is absolutely doing my head in. Whats the name of the trip where you wrap your forward leg around both their legs and fall on top of them?

e: nvm, its tane otoshi.

Tani otoshi is just the best move ever created! I love it as a counter especially, but I'm starting to do it as a regular attack more and more.

Office Sheep posted:

The guy in the video is Igor Yakimov. He seems to have a few championships in various things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Yakimov

What gets me about the video is how tired uki always appears. I came across it while looking for options to use out of over the shoulder belt grip. Since I am a lanky guy it's a grip I found I could get easily even before I knew throws from it or that it was a good thing.

Yeah I don't know what's up with his uke. I'm guessing he's just been abusing him for many hours non-stop!

Over the should belt grip is just such a strong position... I very rarely don't get ippon if I can get this grip. But I'm of average height so may be it gives me more leverage than it would to a tall guy.

--

ManicParroT posted:

Went to a kung fu lesson. There was lots of standing on one leg, standing in stress positions (like a semi squat) and doing push ups. I'm still pretty sore, it's been quite a while since I did any exercise.

The exercise seemed to be more about muscles and bodyweight exercise than cardio. Sort of like standing up yoga, or something, but with less bending.

I've found a 'white collar boxing' gym closish to my work and the train station which I'll go and check out, although it's a lot further from my house than the kung fu place.

This was my experience with kung fu too. Their fighting stance are often weird and very hard to stay in so you'll be training these "stress positions" a lot. Kung Fu also loves their push-ups

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 23, 2011

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

ManicParroT posted:

Went to a kung fu lesson. There was lots of standing on one leg, standing in stress positions (like a semi squat) and doing push ups.

Those are good exercises, and there are many, many great varieties of push-ups.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ManicParroT posted:

what the gently caress is white collar boxing?? do you wear dress suits while you beat the poo poo out of each other?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
white collar boxing

There is a hint on the clientele and atmosphere. Juxtapose with a regular boxing gym.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

mewse posted:

what the gently caress is white collar boxing?? do you wear dress suits while you beat the poo poo out of each other?

I personally prefer bourgeoisie boxing

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

white collar boxing

There is a hint on the clientele and atmosphere. Juxtapose with a regular boxing gym.

no black people?

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
This is white collar boxing:
http://www.armouryboxing.com/

Basically they're like "waah, why do poor people have all the fun" and they've made a boxing gym that's oriented more towards soccer moms and marketing managers.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I tried to find out more about the Krav Maga level 5 live blade portion of the test this week, but the instructor that just recently passed his level 5 went on vacation. We had a level 4 standing in for class. I did ask him and he basically conferred with what Captain Scraps had already posted, it's a dulled blade practicing specific techniques and not just an absurd sparring match.

My wife is going back to school so I am changing up my training regiment to the following:

Mon - KM L2
Tue - CrossFit
Wed - Bas Rutten Fight Club
Thur - CrossFit
Fri - BEER NIGHT (or something, just not gonna work out)
Sat - KM L2
Sun - Day of rest, if it's good enough for the lord, then I guess it can be good enough for me.

I'm a little worried about burn out with this kind of schedule, but I recently started a super high stress new job (responsible for on-call resolution of system outages across more then 5,000 servers which provide services to more then 3 million customers...some of them generating several million a year in revenue...they hate down time). So I think I will need to occupy my off time and wear myself out enough to sleep with how stressed I'll be during the day.

Anyone in a high stress position able to comment on a suggested schedule?

Also, for the Bas Rutten fight club I need to get shin guards and a chest protector (already have headgear, mouth guard, cup and boxing gloves). Is there a good place online to pick up the chest protector and shin guards for some full contact sparring? They sell them through our pro-shop but I have a feeling the pro shop is super over priced.

mewse
May 2, 2006

http://www.armouryboxing.com/WhiteCollarBoxing.php

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Also, for the Bas Rutten fight club I need to get shin guards and a chest protector (already have headgear, mouth guard, cup and boxing gloves). Is there a good place online to pick up the chest protector and shin guards for some full contact sparring? They sell them through our pro-shop but I have a feeling the pro shop is super over priced.

Get the leather shin guards, not the foam they sometimes sell in pro shops. Those will gently caress up your shins.

But glad you're fighting, it definitely steps your game up to the next level.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Get the leather shin guards, not the foam they sometimes sell in pro shops. Those will gently caress up your shins.

But glad you're fighting, it definitely steps your game up to the next level.

They have the leather stuff in the pro shop, it's all top notch gear, but it seems like I could find it cheaper elsewhere. I haven't looked at the shin guard prices but the chest protector was like $155, which seems pretty steep.

And yeah, I am also looking forward to fighting. Our KM gym places a huge emphasis on competition fighting and physical fitness, more then any Karate/Tae Kwan Do/Aikido place I've ever been before. After I passed my test and had the results e-mailed to me there was a paragraph in there suggesting that any student who wishes to really progress should go to the fight club. There is no faster way to get better at foot work, speed, power or learning how to take a hit then negative reinforcement!

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

ManicParroT posted:

This is white collar boxing:
http://www.armouryboxing.com/

Basically they're like "waah, why do poor people have all the fun" and they've made a boxing gym that's oriented more towards soccer moms and marketing managers.

quote:

Authentic, that's the mark of the place. Bare facebrick walls, wooden beams, leather punch bags gently swinging from black steel trusses and two rings, one centre stage, offset by stylish decor, grand pugilistic artwork and a panelled lounge snuck out the back, with leather studded furniture, black and white tiled floors, a library and chandeliers.

whoa.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Something that's authentic that gets hyped as authentic to bring in new people. Spinning grungy and rundown as the real deal, ie somehow more legit than a nice clean and modern gym.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

mewse posted:

no black people?

well no "black" people. Ron from IT is fine.

I'm really just biased because my friend who works in Ibanking is a hobbyist boxer and tried one of those "white collar" style gyms and said its full of pretenders and boxercisers who didn't like to get hit or do hard things like jump rope. he left for a hoodrat gym full of Mexicans who actually took it seriously. Now, I've heard there are gyms with mostly professionals and they go hard and then drive their BMWs home, but those gyms generally don't advertise under that "white collar" neo-victorian banner.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 23, 2011

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I'm really just biased because my friend who works in Ibanking is a hobbyist boxer and tried one of those "white collar" style gyms and said its full of pretenders and boxercisers who didn't like to get hit or do hard things like jump rope. he left for a hoodrat gym full of Mexicans who actually took it seriously. Now, I've heard there are gyms with mostly professionals and they go hard and then drive their BMWs home, but those gyms generally don't advertise under that "white collar" neo-victorian banner.

i kinda picked up from the website that there's something off about the gym. they have fight nights where you fight people from your own gym and nobody wins. they're not training anybody for amateur or professional competition :/

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So, there's some BJJ guys renting the dojo where I do judo 2 days a week. Asked for the price and it's a big 10$ per month... Yep, :10bux: per month for 2 classes a week. That's around 1,25$ per class. I made a :o face and said...10$... Per month? and he said : Yeah, I'm not here to make money, if we get more people it'll get even cheaper.

Granted, the "coach" is a purple belt and the majority of the other guys are white belt, but it's not like I'm gonna care. Someone told me they have a black belt that ranked 3rd in some bigass competition this year, can't wait to confirm this and get his name.

This year will be great for MA if I don't get injured!

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 23, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

So, there's some BJJ guys renting the dojo where I do judo 2 days a week. Asked for the price and it's a big 10$ per month... Yep, :10bux: per month for 2 classes a week. That's around 1,25$ per class. I made a :o face and said...10$... Per month? and he said : Yeah, I'm not here to make money, if we get more people it'll get even cheaper.
:drat:

KingColliwog posted:

Tani otoshi is just the best move ever created! I love it as a counter especially, but I'm starting to do it as a regular attack more and more.
Yeah its great and super simple. We had a few guest blue belts from the only other serious Judo gym in our area and I had a randori with a 110kg blue belt and at the time I was a 75kg white belt. I was really intimidated as I had been practicing my forward throws so much and I knew they wouldnt work on this mammoth. I walked up and dropped him with tani otoshi in the first 3 seconds. What a thud! Plus, it would work on the street like a charm if you get a clinch, as would wrist control + osoto makikomi.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

mewse posted:

i kinda picked up from the website that there's something off about the gym. they have fight nights where you fight people from your own gym and nobody wins. they're not training anybody for amateur or professional competition :/

If the boxing 'team' attitude is anything like BJJ there are loads of people who are unwilling to face their team members competitively. So I can understand the attitude of "There is no winner or loser here, you are both getting better."

Plus why does not forcing folks to go into amateur competition mean they're crap?

Per their website, people can go that route, but they need to ask.

(I'm not disagreeing that their website gives off some weird vibes.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 24, 2011

mewse
May 2, 2006

quote:

At the Armoury Boxing Club we have a small stable of Professional boxers, a thriving Amateur boxing club

^^^ I didn't see this

edit: ahh they have a whole page devoted to their amateurs and professionals. i was too focused on their "white collar boxing" stuff to notice. they've basically made a third class of boxer aside from amateur and professional

mewse fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 24, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I'd say stick to the amateur classes and you'd be OK.

It really does make sense for boxing gyms to make a "lite" class because generally you make a lot more money that way. I've said it before but even though we all hate "McDojo" practices, they exist because it is how you make money. If the lovely white collar guys are basically subsidizing the real fighters, and allowing the coaches to make a decent living then that's great.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Hey guys I asked yesterday but didn't see a reply...I'm looking for a place to get cheap-ish sparring gear (or at least cheaper then the pro-shop where I train) and was wondering if anyone knows of any good online vendors. This afternoon I'm going to go check out places like Dick's Sporting Goods, and some other large places around here. Those are only slightly better priced then my pro-shop, though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Hey guys I asked yesterday but didn't see a reply...I'm looking for a place to get cheap-ish sparring gear (or at least cheaper then the pro-shop where I train) and was wondering if anyone knows of any good online vendors. This afternoon I'm going to go check out places like Dick's Sporting Goods, and some other large places around here. Those are only slightly better priced then my pro-shop, though.

Budovideos.com is the only one I can recommend from personal experience.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Hey, Tiger Balm guy again - despite the balm alleviating some of the soreness I'm noticing some dull pain in both arms whenever I'm rolling. It almost feels like I have shin splints in my arms underneath my muscles.

It's not a sharp or serious pain but rather just a dull ache that makes my arms feel fatigued. Is this to be expected for new people who are rolling pretty frequently? I lifted heavy weights before taking up bjj so I was a bit surprised by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

It really does make sense for boxing gyms to make a "lite" class because generally you make a lot more money that way. I've said it before but even though we all hate "McDojo" practices, they exist because it is how you make money. If the lovely white collar guys are basically subsidizing the real fighters, and allowing the coaches to make a decent living then that's great.

now that i know this gym in particular actually has amateur and professional competitors training there, i'm ok with them sucking in newbies with the "we cater to dilettantes" thing. some of those guys will be drawn towards real sparring and competition

• Locked thread