Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Doc Faustus posted:

I use Adium for my instant messenger program, and I do all my web browsing in a fullscreen Chrome window. As a result, I frequently don't see notifications of new messages. Is there a good way to make these notifications more visible, or am I stuck manually checking?

Have you installed Growl? You really should, even if not for Adium. Other programs use it, and you can have customizable alerts appear on your screen for a few seconds, or until you click them away.

I keep Transmission running in another Space, so it's nice to have a popup when a torrent finishes seeding to the ratio I specified, or when the download finished. And there's a lot more programs it works with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Holy poo poo Sparrow is amazing. It actually sends stuff in Gmail to the trash/deletes it instead of archiving/not actually deleting it like Mail. The lite version is awesome and I'd really consider buying the full one.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

IUG posted:

Have you installed Growl? You really should, even if not for Adium. Other programs use it, and you can have customizable alerts appear on your screen for a few seconds, or until you click them away.

I keep Transmission running in another Space, so it's nice to have a popup when a torrent finishes seeding to the ratio I specified, or when the download finished. And there's a lot more programs it works with.

Growl is one of the best programs for OSX, in my opinion. So useful and nice to have a unified interface.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire
Day 1. So I helped a buddy out upgrading his mid '10 macbook. Double the ram, replace the completely full 120gb drive with a 500gb one. Old drive had Leo, I offered to clone it + upgrade to lion but he decided he'd rather do a fresh install (Snow Leo then Lion). He decided to get an external usb enclosure for the old drive so he could pick what he wanted to pollute the new one with. Not my way of doing things but whatever, I guess a USB dick hanging off the computer was more attractive than a big olddrive.dmg on the new drive.

Day 2. He's transferring music from old drive over USB to new drive. Drive gets disconnected during transfer, he said the standard force eject warning screen came up. He reconnects it and it works except a lot of his poo poo is gone. Most the music, his documents, and (apparently) at least a couple vital system files. I found the last bit out when I told him to try to boot it with the old drive back in and it wouldn't boot due to missing files. I tell him to stop messing with it. As far as I know it has only been read from since files went missing.

Day 3. I pick up the old drive and post this thread.

I know what I would do if this happened on a ntfs or fat32 drive but have no idea on this. I can connect it SATA to my desktop and run either win7 or ubuntu OR USB to a macbook pro to. Just trying to get as many files as possible onto one of my large drives and transfer them all back over to his new 500gb.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Growl is one of the best programs for OSX, in my opinion. So useful and nice to have a unified interface.

Shame the developers are dragging their feet with Growl 1.3. Lots of reports that 1.2.2 doesn't work well in Lion (can't preview styles, Growl stops displaying notifications randomly, etc), but here we are approaching October without 1.3 in sight… despite being announced 2 months ago.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Terpfen posted:

Shame the developers are dragging their feet with Growl 1.3. Lots of reports that 1.2.2 doesn't work well in Lion (can't preview styles, Growl stops displaying notifications randomly, etc), but here we are approaching October without 1.3 in sight… despite being announced 2 months ago.

You really should read their Twitter, because it definitely is in sight. Specifically https://twitter.com/!/The_Tick/status/116703416717287424

Chris Forsythe posted:

We're on our last leg, one final beta to send out to confirm any changes left, and then submission to app store. /cc

They've actually been very active for the most part in terms of updating people with what's going on with 1.3 via their Twitter, just not the main website. Though on their Twitter they also mentioned that there is a site redesign coming with 1.3 as well.

https://twitter.com/!/growlmac

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

What will I need to do to make things work smoothly with my home folder if I get a second hard drive? I'm guessing it must be alias or some drive mapping...

Ideally I'd like my system to go on an SSD (in the boot slot) and downloads, music and anything else that's big but doesn't need the performance of the SSD goes on a platter drive in an optibay...

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
I don't ask for much.

I just want my MBP to be at full screen brightness, and full keyboard brightness when it's plugged in, and one notch of keyboard brightness and about halfway on the screen when unplugged.

That's it.

Is there any way to do this?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Legs Benedict posted:

You really should read their Twitter, because it definitely is in sight. Specifically https://twitter.com/!/The_Tick/status/116703416717287424

They've actually been very active for the most part in terms of updating people with what's going on with 1.3 via their Twitter, just not the main website. Though on their Twitter they also mentioned that there is a site redesign coming with 1.3 as well.

https://twitter.com/!/growlmac

One, I didn't know they had a Twitter account: it's not exactly very visible on the Growl site, since the new-to-me "follow us on Twitter" link is buried all the way down at the bottom of growl.info, which is below the fold my 1440x900 MBP.

Two, a site redesign doesn't interest me. Just give me 1.3 already.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

My PIN is 4826 posted:

What will I need to do to make things work smoothly with my home folder if I get a second hard drive? I'm guessing it must be alias or some drive mapping...

Ideally I'd like my system to go on an SSD (in the boot slot) and downloads, music and anything else that's big but doesn't need the performance of the SSD goes on a platter drive in an optibay...

If the second drive will be internal, sym links should be fine.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Today's developer seed of 10.7.2 is most likely the last build, since it shipped with complete release notes.

quote:

The 10.7.2 update is recommended for all OS X Lion users and includes general operating system fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac. It also includes support for iCloud, a breakthrough set of free cloud services that automatically and wirelessly store your content on iCloud and push it to all of your devices. iCloud on OS X Lion includes the following features:

• iCloud stores your email, calendars, contacts, Safari bookmarks, and Safari Reading List and automatically pushes them to all your devices.
• Back to My Mac provides remote access to your Mac from another Mac anywhere on the Internet.
• Find My Mac helps find a missing Mac by locating it on a map and allows you to remotely lock the Mac or wipe all its data.

Getting started with iCloud is easy. After installing the update, OS X will automatically present an iCloud setup panel. Simply enter an existing Apple ID or create a new one and then follow the on screen instructions. To learn more about iCloud visit http://www.apple.com/icloud.

The 10.7.2 update also includes Safari 5.1.1 as well as fixes that:

• Allow reordering of desktop spaces and full screen apps in Mission Control.
• Enable dragging files between desktop spaces and full screen apps.
• Address an issue that causes the menu bar to not appear in full screen apps.
• Improve the compatibility of Google contact syncing in Address Book.
• Address an issue that causes Keynote to become temporarily unresponsive.
• Improve VoiceOver compatibility with Launchpad.
• Address an issue that causes a delay in accessing the network after waking from sleep.
• Enable booting in to Lion Recovery from a locally attached Time Machine backup drive.
• Resolve an issue that causes screen zoom to stop working.
• Improve Active Directory integration.

For detailed information about Safari 5.1.1, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4922.

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4767.
For information on the security content of this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For VMware folks, supposedly the FUSION20 promo code is dead...but there's a better one! WORKSTATION gets you $20 off to end up at $30, got it down to my "impulse buy to stay up to date" price range.

And for something completely different, if you've ever wanted to CPU limit a process for some reason, try cputhrottle. I used it while encoding a video yesterday and it sort of worked, sometimes the cputhrottle process would quit so I don't know if it was the target process itself causing the quit or just something with the cputhrottle app. It works by PID so something that spawns a bunch of sub processes probably wouldn't work too well with it. From what I could tell the percentage goes by CPU cores and seems to ignore hyperthreading, so on a 2 core HT CPU, 200 would be the highest value in it.

There's another trick using SIGSTOP and SIGCONT but supposedly can cause problems for some apps (cputhrottle's page says it just quits on errors, so it might be safer? :iiam:).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Today's developer seed of 10.7.2 is most likely the last build, since it shipped with complete release notes.

Thanks for that, better check my developer's account

Kalix
May 8, 2009
So is 1Password worth it vs something like Last Pass?

On Windows I used to use Keypass and sync with dropbox, but felt it lacked some features.

I've played a little with lastpass - I like that It will fill out forms for me if I want it to.
I'm unsure about which is 'more secure' or better.

Any thoughts on this?

1Password is 25 bucks in the App store, as someone pointed out a few posts back - but LastPass is 1 dollar a month or something like that I believe. In reality neither break the bank.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Does anyone know of a way to increase the IMAP server timeout in Outlook 2011? I've hunted around Google and there doesn't appear to be a way through the GUI. It's funny because on the Windows side, it's a setting in the advanced section, yet 2011 does not offer a way to adjust the server timeout.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Kalix posted:

So is 1Password worth it vs something like Last Pass?

On Windows I used to use Keypass and sync with dropbox, but felt it lacked some features.

I've played a little with lastpass - I like that It will fill out forms for me if I want it to.
I'm unsure about which is 'more secure' or better.

Any thoughts on this?

1Password is 25 bucks in the App store, as someone pointed out a few posts back - but LastPass is 1 dollar a month or something like that I believe. In reality neither break the bank.

1Password is as close to a no-brainer purchase as there is in the Mac app ecosystem, IMO.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Terpfen posted:

1Password is as close to a no-brainer purchase as there is in the Mac app ecosystem, IMO.
Sparrow's the first purchase I recommend to switchers, with 1Password in a close second.

On a somewhat related note, a coworker was asking me questions about Macs today since he's considering one for his dad. I had my Air and my girlfriend's new MacBook Pro on my desk so I decided to show him some cool poo poo. The best examples I could come up with for "it just works" were AirDrop and Back to My Mac. He was extremely impressed with both of those. Does anyone have any other cool features to show off? Expose/Mission Control are a bit hard to understand without actually using the machine for an extended period. I explained how iCloud works and that was pretty exciting to him as well.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Sparrow's the first purchase I recommend to switchers, with 1Password in a close second.

On a somewhat related note, a coworker was asking me questions about Macs today since he's considering one for his dad. I had my Air and my girlfriend's new MacBook Pro on my desk so I decided to show him some cool poo poo. The best examples I could come up with for "it just works" were AirDrop and Back to My Mac. He was extremely impressed with both of those. Does anyone have any other cool features to show off? Expose/Mission Control are a bit hard to understand without actually using the machine for an extended period. I explained how iCloud works and that was pretty exciting to him as well.

The trackpad/multitouch gestures were the biggest selling feature for me, but it's admittedly a more advanced feature. The crazy fast boot time on the Air impressed me, too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

That reminds me of a trick I heard about recently, AirDrop on any Mac with Lion (basically just enables it over any network rather than just the new wifi hardware stuff).

As for fancy "just works" stuff, do screen sharing through iChat. It might come in handy to help his dad out remotely if necessary (although it'd require him to get a Mac too of course). Screen Sharing itself is another option but isn't as easy to set up and doesn't have the voice chat. Speaking of which, I guess there's iChat audio/video chat and FaceTime.

Otherwise I'm not sure, just depends on what he might use it for. iPhoto's face tagging and auto album stuff is kind of nice I guess if he takes a bunch of pictures (if it gets the faces right :v:), and the photo book ordering seems pretty nice from what I've read, although I haven't tried it myself yet.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Well I'm thinking about picking up Sparrow now as well. Just bought 1password, sounds like I won't be disappointed.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Why sparrow? Since I'm on gmail, I feel like I already have two good options already, the gmail website and mail.app. What about sparrow makes you recommend it?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

• Allow reordering of desktop spaces and full screen apps in Mission Control.

Thank god.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
are they making it so lion full screen doesn't gently caress people with multiple monitors?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

are they making it so lion full screen doesn't gently caress people with multiple monitors?

Unlikely. That seems like something that would have been stated outright.

I guess it might be time to install .2 on my desktop instead of just in VMWare. Though I may as well just wait for the public release at this point.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Does anyone know what's going on with the overlap here?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wafflesnsegways posted:

Why sparrow? Since I'm on gmail, I feel like I already have two good options already, the gmail website and mail.app. What about sparrow makes you recommend it?
You'll find Sparrow endorsements on almost every page of this thread, but mostly the fact that it actually uses Gmail's labels/archive/trash correctly. It seems to be a complete crapshoot for me with Mail.app.

If you're a heavy Gmail user, there's really no reason (other than being poor) to be using Mail.app over Sparrow. It was designed from the ground up as a Gmail app, and it shows.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Does anyone here have an iTunes/App Store balance that they can check right now? I just went on a spending spree and used up ~$250 of my credit on iTunes and now it says it can't access my balance. I think they cut me off. :(

edit: Either they cut me off or it's related to the iCloud/MobileMe/AppleID maintenance going on tonight.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

You'll find Sparrow endorsements on almost every page of this thread, but mostly the fact that it actually uses Gmail's labels/archive/trash correctly. It seems to be a complete crapshoot for me with Mail.app.

If you're a heavy Gmail user, there's really no reason (other than being poor) to be using Mail.app over Sparrow. It was designed from the ground up as a Gmail app, and it shows.

I have no problems whatsoever with Mail and my Gmail accounts (my emails even get deleted properly, I don't know why they wouldn't...?). However, since so many people seem to recommend it, I'm willing to give it a try... Can you Sparrow-recommenders answer a few questions for me?

Their site claims it handles multiple accounts (the first thing I checked). How does it do it? Is it Mail-style with a unified inbox/trash/drafts and the separate lists of folders (er.. labels) for each account, or is each completely separate?

Can you make local mailboxes (like the "on my mac" section in Mail)? If so, can it import these from Mail?

Does it support nested labels (like a typical imap folder heirarchy)? I've been using Mail and have a lot of email in a lot of nested labels, will there be any problems when I with (their FAQ seemed to indicate issues with imap path prefixes in labels).

Thanks...

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I can't set one default folder appearance for Finder, it seems. I've defined the icon size and grid layout I wanted in Finder ("Show Display Options", I think; shortcut's cmd-J) and hit "set as default", but even after restarting Finder it's still not applying those preferences to all folders. How can I fix this?

Edit: on an unrelated note, did Apple decide all video files are dangerous since Snow Leopard or am I missing a setting somewhere? On my SL MacBook, I can download and open video files without a warning, but when I copy them to my Lion iMac, it pops up the "this is a dangerous file, are you sure you want to open it"-dialog. Very weird.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 23, 2011

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Choadmaster posted:

I have no problems whatsoever with Mail and my Gmail accounts (my emails even get deleted properly, I don't know why they wouldn't...?). However, since so many people seem to recommend it, I'm willing to give it a try... Can you Sparrow-recommenders answer a few questions for me?

Their site claims it handles multiple accounts (the first thing I checked). How does it do it? Is it Mail-style with a unified inbox/trash/drafts and the separate lists of folders (er.. labels) for each account, or is each completely separate?

Can you make local mailboxes (like the "on my mac" section in Mail)? If so, can it import these from Mail?

Does it support nested labels (like a typical imap folder heirarchy)? I've been using Mail and have a lot of email in a lot of nested labels, will there be any problems when I with (their FAQ seemed to indicate issues with imap path prefixes in labels).

Thanks...

No idea about the IMAP folders part of this but unified inbox is an option you can disable/enable. It shows at the top of list but you can switch to your individual accounts below.

See here: http://imgur.com/a/2Lcxb (two Gmail accounts and one MobileMe)

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Can I manually turn a off second internal hard drive in my optibay slot? Apparently the sudden motion sensor only works if the drive is in the main slot where I want to put my SSD, but I still want an option to protect the platter drive when I pick it up.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Sparrow still doesn't support exchange right?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

KingEup posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with the overlap here?

That's how Mission Control displays 3 windows from different apps. The algorithm doesn't put space between them until you have a few more apps and/or windows open.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

carry on then posted:

That's how Mission Control displays 3 windows from different apps. The algorithm doesn't put space between them until you have a few more apps and/or windows open.

So I opened 6 and now I can't even see all the windows:

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
That's what I was getting too. Change one of the windows from full-size to barely less than full-size and they'll sort normally.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I distinctly remember my first 'holy poo poo' moment with a Mac was uninstalling an app. After years of dealing with uninstallers and registry crap in Windows I couldn't quite believe that 'drag it to the Trash' was it... And then I couldn't believe I'd thought it was normal to expect anything less obvious.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Sparrow is the poster child for optional purchases, IMO. Especially considering the improvements in Mail.app in Lion. I bought Sparrow when Lion came out because I didn't know that you had to enable conversations in Mail—Apple's site made it sound as if the feature was enabled by default—and I regret the purchase. I just don't use it.

quote:

Does anyone have any other cool features to show off? Expose/Mission Control are a bit hard to understand without actually using the machine for an extended period. I explained how iCloud works and that was pretty exciting to him as well.

What's difficult about Exposè and Mission Control? A quick trackpad gesture and you're right there. Just construct a nice Mission Control timeline in front of him; have your browser on one desktop, a full-screen Preview image in another, iTunes in another, the Mac App Store in another, Mail, etc. Let him mess around with the Mac for a minute while you take out your iPhone 4 or iPad and activate FaceTime: surprise him with the incoming call.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If I want to start with a clean install is it possible to use my existing Time Machine Backup to restore files from? I'm thinking that when I go to Lion from SL it's time to start with a clean slate to minimize problems.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
My favorite "show off move" is calling someone over to show them Windows 7 running my Mac. I show them how fast Win7 runs by opening MS WWT or something, talking about how Apple has specific drivers for Windows, blah, blah, blah.

Then I go in for the kill by three finger swiping left to reveal I was running Windows 7 in a virtual machine and that I'm really running OSX with iPhoto, iMovie, Safari, Mail.app and whatever else I have open at the time. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

KingEup posted:

So I opened 6 and now I can't even see all the windows:

What happens if you throw in two more Safari windows? If that doesn't trigger it to make them all smaller then something has broken.