Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

So what? Should I take this advice and stop paying off debt except for minimum payments just in case? That will take me six months to a year for a 6-9 month expense e-fund.

The other problem is that the math is ridiculous. Every dollar I make right now is not mine. Every dollar I spend on something other than cc payment costs me a corresponding amount of interest. Therefore saving a 15k savings account still costs me the same percent as I would have saved on interest payments. I don't understand why it's at all desirable to have a 15k savings account instead of 15k less debt now available as liquid credit. I get that the credit can be canceled at any time, but that's not a very significant risk compared to the potential cost of not paying off the debt.

Saving for a year and then using my savings on some incredible emergency and starting from square one (0 savings and 0 repaid debt). Is the same as spending all on debt then using it on a similar emergency a year later (0 savings and 0 repaid debt). So why the big fuss about the emergency fund?

Goddamn you are whiny. But because its got to be all or nothing with you, go ahead and keep doing exactly what you are doing now, except -- wait for it -- stop loving smoking and stop buying stupid poo poo. Now take the extra cash you would be spending and put it in your emergency fund. There, problem solved. Ta da! Now if you'll excuse me for a second, I need to mentally prepare myself for the onslaught of stupidity that is your pro-smoking, pro-stupid poo poo rationalization routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Could it be that tuyop doesn't need an emergency fund because if he ever lost his job he will have more time to pursue gay for pay? I guess it's not so much an emergency fund as a back up plan. But I guess its something? :v:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm not going to stop smoking.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Stop buying wet wipes and use the three sea shells.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

I didn't think people like you actually existed! Every time you post I hear the Jersey Shore theme song in my head. :toot:

What about your girlfriend, though? At least she admits she wants something better. At least she's willing to say she wants to change her lifestyle. Are you going to support her decision? Or are you going to continue your passive aggressive sniping, telling her all the ways that she can't possibly quit? I think we already know that you are a pretty worthless human being, but that would a particularly vile turn of events.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

I think we already know that you are a pretty worthless human being
wow dude :stare:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

archangelwar posted:

Stop buying wet wipes and use the three sea shells.

I love you for this.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Kobayashi posted:

I didn't think people like you actually existed!

That's strange, I could have sworn you read BFC

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Beyond "I don't want to" do you have any reason not to? Is it a coping thing? Because man, you're really far in debt and I realize it's not a TON of cash.. but you may as well just set that money you're spending on cigs ablaze. If you don't want to use that cash to pay off your bills, at least you'd have it for 'fun stuff' instead of having to draw more off yourself.

E: VVVV I mean hobbies that he can actually keep and get something out of, or fun he can have with his girlfriend that's about to disappear for a few months.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 23, 2011

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoking is 'fun stuff', that's the point. You guys get all up in arms over his personal decisions but not with his actual budget.

Go look at his budget, proposed debt payments, and when he'll be out of debt if he sticks to the system. Are these numbers unacceptable to you? If there is some major flaw then maybe he needs to reduce spending more. I think his numbers look reasonable in terms of debt payment to 'non-essential' spending.

Tuyop is in, what?, month two or three of his budget? It is going to require some tweaking but he seems to be sticking with it FAIRLY well. I believe last month he paid something like $1200 towards his debt.

Everyone keeps saying he needs to adjust his attitude and his lifestyle. I think he has begun to do this. Every purchase people are raging about in this thread is either accounted for in his 'fun money' category or was budgeted for in a different category. If he slips on his debt payments or grossly exceeds his budgets I'll be the first one to give him poo poo for it but until that happens I think you guys are being ridiculous.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, chill out about the smoking. Does anyone think that calling me a worthless human being or anything I could read on the Internet would really stop me? If toeshoes quits, good for her. She definitely smokes too much anyway. We have a very good, supportive relationship and it works great when one of us wants to make a life change or something.

I thought we had a pretty good financial discussion going but then you guys derailed with the stop smoking bullshit.

Like, is 20 months a good amount of time to dedicate to an e-fund or what?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ok, here's a little disclaimer. In the past two weeks I've worked 80 hours (and walked 62.5k with 90 pounds :gonk:) a week so my finances are super disorganized.

There's a week left in September so these numbers will increase slightly.

Gas is underbudget 230 bucks. Carpooling everywhere has left me with like 10 bucks a week in gas on top of the 27 bucks I spent going to maine to pick up my boots.
Groceries are underbudget 240.
Cash spending is overbudget 26.
Savings are in line fine, toeshoes says that she'll pay for half the trip up to see her so I only have to save 205 now. I've saved 105, so I'll put the 35 in for another three weeks and stop that.

Some considerations.

Cash spending is over because I've been eating out on the weekends instead of cooking. As you can imagine, working 80 hours a week leaves me with little motivation to cook or time to buy groceries. And I don't want to. Toeshoes has been amazing with having food ready when I come home so I can eat and then go to bed right after, but she's busy with other things too. Another option is to just eat on base, but I'd rather eat good food and sleep than lose an extra 90 minutes a day waiting in line for lovely, lovely food.

I also want to unwind at a pub a little bit on the weekends, so my alcohol budget is higher than average, 3-4 beers this month instead of my usual 0-2.

I've also had to buy some personal care items which are wearing out faster than normal from increased use. I just picked up some razors, 40 bucks (they last me 8-10 months, relax), some tape for a few blisters which was 3, and I need to buy some boot polish later which is 5. I don't know how to categorize this stuff since my personal item budget is in that 200/month savings thing but I have no idea how much I average per month. There's going to be a few more things like this, like I need some superfine Staedler markers because mine have run dry and I need to do a trace this weekend. The good news is that my buffer is still intact despite the increased costs and the fact that I'm resistant to transfer out of my savings. It has some weird rule like 2 transfers a month or something so I'm just going to wait until next week to switch over the balance.

To the stop smoking brigade: I have actually been smoking less. An average of 3-6 cigarettes a day, due to the high work tempo and lack of breaks.

Conclusion:

So I blew my spending budget, which I felt was unrealistic while on course because my expense distribution changes. I'm 470 underbudget in other areas and my debt repayment is right on track. 499.40 on mastercard with another 108.10 coming out on Monday, minimums on everything else. 1216 total which will equal 1324.50.

I hate how I haven't been able to watch my budget like a hawk and I kind of feel very disorganized. I really wish I could just automate the whole thing more, any ideas?

Edit: oh yeah and I lost a hat in a beaver pond while swimming through it for two hours trying to find a nav point. That will cost some portion of 17.10 off my pay whenever they get around to that.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 24, 2011

SomeGuyinIL
Jan 25, 2006
Yo lunchbox, hurry it up!

Kobayashi posted:

I think we already know that you are a pretty worthless human being...

Really? I realize your need to feel intelligent and superior outshines any decency you may have ever possessed, but that takes the cake. I'd enjoy seeing you call anyone in the armed forces(Canadian or not) a worthless human being -face to face- and witnessing the fallout you pompous piece of poo poo.

To stay on topic here, you've learned a little and still have more to go absolutely, but the smoking needs to go dude. I've watched too many members of my family pass away to lung cancer or just emphysema(smokers are very last in line for lung transplants). Its a sad way to watch someone go, and it doesn't matter how long or how many they smoked. BFC isn't screaming about that because it costs money(well a little for sure) but because its a terrible habit that absolutely offsets any other healthy thing you're doing with your life, and believe it or not actually do care that you don't start hacking up blood in 7 or 8 years. Well, everyone except for the self-righteous asshat above.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

SomeGuyinIL posted:

Really? I realize your need to feel intelligent and superior outshines any decency you may have ever possessed, but that takes the cake. I'd enjoy seeing you call anyone in the armed forces(Canadian or not) a worthless human being -face to face- and witnessing the fallout you pompous piece of poo poo.

I like Kobayashi's posts because I always imagine Rudy Giuliani hissing them. :3: Seriously though, don't get so worked up about posts on the Internet. "Oh no! Someone is trolling a soldier! Doesn't he know that soldiers are sacred and beyond reproach?!"

I agree with the second half of your post though. I've lost a few family members to lung cancer. It's not pretty. Tuyop can do what he wants but he's a fool if he thinks it isn't hurting him just because he "only" smokes a few a day.

To pretend this post is useful, Tuyop, if I were you I'd redirect one or two hundred bucks from debt repayment to building up a cash reserve for emergencies, until you have maybe two or three thousand set aside. That's what would make me more comfortable in your shoes, anyway. I do agree that your job should be more stable than most, so planning for unemployment is less of a concern. Otherwise I think you're doing okay, assuming you can keep up the large debt repayments.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

tuyop posted:

Ok, here's a little disclaimer. In the past two weeks I've worked 80 hours (and walked 62.5k with 90 pounds :gonk:) a week so my finances are super disorganized.

There's a week left in September so these numbers will increase slightly.

Gas is underbudget 230 bucks. Carpooling everywhere has left me with like 10 bucks a week in gas on top of the 27 bucks I spent going to maine to pick up my boots.
Groceries are underbudget 240.
Cash spending is overbudget 26.
Savings are in line fine, toeshoes says that she'll pay for half the trip up to see her so I only have to save 205 now. I've saved 105, so I'll put the 35 in for another three weeks and stop that.

Some considerations.

Cash spending is over because I've been eating out on the weekends instead of cooking. As you can imagine, working 80 hours a week leaves me with little motivation to cook or time to buy groceries. And I don't want to. Toeshoes has been amazing with having food ready when I come home so I can eat and then go to bed right after, but she's busy with other things too. Another option is to just eat on base, but I'd rather eat good food and sleep than lose an extra 90 minutes a day waiting in line for lovely, lovely food.

I also want to unwind at a pub a little bit on the weekends, so my alcohol budget is higher than average, 3-4 beers this month instead of my usual 0-2.

I've also had to buy some personal care items which are wearing out faster than normal from increased use. I just picked up some razors, 40 bucks (they last me 8-10 months, relax), some tape for a few blisters which was 3, and I need to buy some boot polish later which is 5. I don't know how to categorize this stuff since my personal item budget is in that 200/month savings thing but I have no idea how much I average per month. There's going to be a few more things like this, like I need some superfine Staedler markers because mine have run dry and I need to do a trace this weekend. The good news is that my buffer is still intact despite the increased costs and the fact that I'm resistant to transfer out of my savings. It has some weird rule like 2 transfers a month or something so I'm just going to wait until next week to switch over the balance.

To the stop smoking brigade: I have actually been smoking less. An average of 3-6 cigarettes a day, due to the high work tempo and lack of breaks.

Conclusion:

So I blew my spending budget, which I felt was unrealistic while on course because my expense distribution changes. I'm 470 underbudget in other areas and my debt repayment is right on track. 499.40 on mastercard with another 108.10 coming out on Monday, minimums on everything else. 1216 total which will equal 1324.50.

I hate how I haven't been able to watch my budget like a hawk and I kind of feel very disorganized. I really wish I could just automate the whole thing more, any ideas?

Edit: oh yeah and I lost a hat in a beaver pond while swimming through it for two hours trying to find a nav point. That will cost some portion of 17.10 off my pay whenever they get around to that.

One thing I like is the difference between this post and your posts on the first few pages is how much more you appreciate the granularity of your spending. Instead of that hat being an "oh yeah, forgot about that" sort of thing, you recognized it immediately and you're including it in your numbers.

There is always room for improvement - and I'm certainly including myself in that statement - but it sounds like overall you're doing quite a bit better now. I'd also agree with Third Murderer, saving up $2,000 for an "Oh poo poo" fund is probably a good idea. If not immediately, maybe after you get the Mastercard paid off.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I like that idea. The laptop should be paid down the same month as well.

Should I just earmark the savings balances in a spreadsheet? It's getting pretty complicated in one account right now. Like Montreal trip, emerency, buffer, misc future expenses which should be categorized, et cetera.

Is a good place for that 2k my TFSA? The newbie thread says to put your efund in a money market account, I can move the 2k from my TFSA to a money market fund once it's there right? Are there withdrawal penalties? I'm so confused!

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

tuyop posted:

Is a good place for that 2k my TFSA? The newbie thread says to put your efund in a money market account, I can move the 2k from my TFSA to a money market fund once it's there right? Are there withdrawal penalties? I'm so confused!

Money market funds don't have particularly great interest rates right now, the TFSA is probably not a bad choice at all.

Personally, I categorize things like razors as groceries but that's because that's where I buy them. There's a part of me that thinks you're going to continue to be overbudget in your "Fun" cash spending category just because you have so much stuff in that category - it's for fun, it's for work purchases, its for haircuts, its for personal care items, its for cigs - it's very all encompassing. I don't know if it would be helpful for you to break it out into something like a personal care category or work category so you can better see things that can be easily cut vs. the things you need for work/hygeine.

Here's a question for you - you mention you get $1500 for incidentals? What does this include? How often is it paid out? I feel like you shell out a decent portion of your fun money on things that are required and necessary for work. Do they ever compensate you in any way for these things?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I get incidentals because I live off base and I'm on course. I think it's for things like gas and wear and tear on my car, as well as razors, the odd meal, other incidental items. Incidentals are $17 a day, tax free, that you get whenever you're working away from home. I said 1500 because it's about 500 a month for three months. I was estimating, it's supposed to pay out every pay but is usually delayed a month or so because the army is cool like that.

As for other stuff like boot bands, polish, haircuts, etc., that's all just out of pocket poo poo. I look at it like how I would have a tailoring expense if I had to wear business wear every day. It's not reimbursable in any way. But I can spend much less on clothes because I wear a uniform 17 hours a day. The weird expensive things that really get me are places that the army doesn't provide because the supply and acquisition system sucks. Like I just had to buy some $15 earplugs because my boss told me I need them for the next two weeks where we're firing live almost every day. They're expensive because you also need to talk on the radio and give orders, so filtered ones are necessary.

Unless you have some tips on how to cut down on the organization time of my budget to say, less than ten minutes a day, it's going to be hard for me to add any extra categorization in the near future. But it would be helpful. Next month I'm going to revamp my cash envelope system so that I can minimize time spent going to the bank, I think part of the reason I went over this month is because I had to use my debit card for a few things and I was too tired to keep track of it in my head. Also I had to pay for coffee and stuff that I normally just canteen to work, because my work environment has changed a lot.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 25, 2011

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

tuyop posted:

Yeah I like that idea. The laptop should be paid down the same month as well.

Should I just earmark the savings balances in a spreadsheet? It's getting pretty complicated in one account right now. Like Montreal trip, emerency, buffer, misc future expenses which should be categorized, et cetera.

You should add a separate entry for its deduction from your income, however, adding a new worksheet in your excel file for your actual savings balance would probably be easiest.

what son what
Nov 6, 2008

SomeGuyinIL posted:

Heh. Buddy brags about getting a paid 5 month vacation in a year period and describes his normal work week as "1 hour a week of photocopying" or some poo poo. I guess he does some "field exercises", but still..

By his own description he sounds worse then worthless. 55000 per year of wasted taxpayer money.

Is this guy a typical example of a military officer? I loving hope not.

As for his lifestyle and spending, all he has to do is actually restrict spending. I admit I haven't read this entire thread, but I'm reading a lot of excuses for just about anything that can be cut. He'd probably be OK if he stopped going on fancy vacations for some years and had a more affordable car really... If he got a second job during all his time off he'd put a nice dent into that debt too. This would also be a reminder of how lovely most real work is.

I'm not going to tell this guy how to live his life and what he should spend his money, he's already made up his mind. I find Kobayashi's accurate descriptions and insults amusing, the highlight of this thread.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

what son what posted:

Heh. Buddy brags about getting a paid 5 month vacation in a year period and describes his normal work week as "1 hour a week of photocopying" or some poo poo. I guess he does some "field exercises", but still..

By his own description he sounds worse then worthless. 55000 per year of wasted taxpayer money.

Is this guy a typical example of a military officer? I loving hope not.

As for his lifestyle and spending, all he has to do is actually restrict spending. I admit I haven't read this entire thread, but I'm reading a lot of excuses for just about anything that can be cut. He'd probably be OK if he stopped going on fancy vacations for some years and had a more affordable car really... If he got a second job during all his time off he'd put a nice dent into that debt too. This would also be a reminder of how lovely most real work is.

I'm not going to tell this guy how to live his life and what he should spend his money, he's already made up his mind. I find Kobayashi's accurate descriptions and insults amusing, the highlight of this thread.

I'm in training. Training is basically made up of waiting for training and training. While waiting, it's very normal to be given a paper pushing job like some kind of temp. If you don't, you literally do nothing all day except show up in a garage three times a day for ten minutes to be counted and make sure you're still alive. As far as I know this is very typical for personnel awaiting training (PATs) at least in the combat arms.

While on training you spend weeks in the field with no sleep for five or six days at a time. You carry 75 pounds of gear just on your body for long periods during 16 hour days of classroom poo poo, and try to figure out how to lead a platoon/troop.

As they say, when it rains it pours.

Edit: I'm an infantry officer, by the way. It's definitely one of the most difficult jobs in the country. My last course which I was injured on had an 85% failure rate. The one before that which caused my injury was a 75% failure rate. The only good thing about it is that it's very very easy and chill when you're not doing infantry poo poo, then very difficult and dangerous for short periods. I think this is common to infantry everywhere.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 26, 2011

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

The emergency fund advice is well meant, but silly when you're talking about someone with no assets worth protecting and no dependents. I imagine Tuyop could always move in with family/friends if it comes down to it. He should absolutely ignore the emergency fund advice and just pay down debt as fast as possible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

The emergency fund advice is well meant, but silly when you're talking about someone with no assets worth protecting and no dependents. I imagine Tuyop could always move in with family/friends if it comes down to it. He should absolutely ignore the emergency fund advice and just pay down debt as fast as possible.

Did you totally miss the part about the deductible on his car insurance, the possibility of car repairs out-of-pocket, and how either of those could totally wipe him out tomorrow?

Since he is underwater on the car, it absolutely is an asset worth protecting.

Aside from that, at least two or three of us have mentioned that one's emergency reserve is also useful for when friends or family have emergencies. I know from personal experience how rewarding it is when your sister has a nasty combo personal/medical/financial crisis and you can keep her from homelessness for a few weeks.

Tuyop probably doesn't need six months of expenses since he lives in a country with free medical care and (I assume) also some kind of right-to-shelter law, unlike our barbaric American practices, but the advice to save up two or three thousand as he can is still good advice.

As an aside, even if you honestly believe someone is a worthless human being, telling them so is not conducive to getting them to accept your advice. From a purely practical perspective, then, I'd suggest not bothering with the advice if you're going to sling that level of insult out there. You're just wasting your time. And since this is an advice thread in a subform specifically about giving advice, maybe you should just vote 1 and then gently caress off.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 26, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well here's an update. The army screwed up my pay! Only got 1098 this time. I'll have to try to fix it on Monday because I'm on the range today.

mailmanrob
Apr 17, 2006
That emergency fund is looking lots more relevent huh?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

michael30404 posted:

"Business, Finance, and Careers: Hate to say I told you so(no I don't)"

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

BFC: A todaso. I loving a todaso.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

michael30404 posted:

Yes it is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
:siren: September Update :siren:

Income: 2498

Expenses
Groceries: 123/350 (carry-over for last month's supps)
Gas: 120/250
Spending: 334/240 :(
"Office" Supplies: 61/0
Car, internet, phone, etc: no change

Savings
Montreal Trip: 140/205
Misc: 323.04
Long-term/efund: 150.17 (17 cents interest? Wtf I'm MAKING money with my money?!)

Debt Situation
Mastercard balance: 1310.52 (min: 47 paid: 550)
Laptop: 484 (min: 36)
Visa: 12170.95 (min: 150)
Student Loan: 16376.32 (min: 160)
Car: ~25200 (min: 375)
Total: ~55490
Service total: 1246.52

Here is a graph:

Still waiting on field pay from August, got charged too much for rations and quarters, didn't get my incidental pay, or field pay from earlier this course. Should be nice when all that stuff comes in and my pay gets sorted out.

This income dip has taught me the error of not having an emergency fund. Being 400 short this month hasn't ruined me aside from having less in my chequing buffer than I'd like, but being 800 short next month will really suck if they don't fix it by then. I don't exactly have time to have it fixed myself since I worked 84 hours last week.

My priority is still mastercard repayment, and then the laptop. Once those are paid off I'll see about building that emergency fund. Next month I'm amping things up and going to really buckle down on expenses since I hopefully have everything I need for the next few months and meet the 1391.50 debt servicing goal.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 2, 2011

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

Spending: 334 :(

Elaborate.

E: The way to do these things is to report "Budgeted / Actual," so that we don't have to go spelunking through pages and pages of posts to evaluate your progress.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

Elaborate.

E: The way to do these things is to report "Budgeted / Actual," so that we don't have to go spelunking through pages and pages of posts to evaluate your progress.

Oh, fixed.

I spent much less on normal things and more on boot polish, razors, overlays, and other stuff. So I went over on spending.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 1, 2011

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Please also include a breakdown of spending on individual debt items including what the minimum is, what you paid, and how much of what you paid affected the principal.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Hey, saw this and thought of you. Michael Pollan is as well-informed as it gets on these things.

quote:

Is Frozen Produce as Nutritious as Fresh?
Frozen vegetables and fruits are a terrific and economical option when fresh is unavailable or too expensive. The nutritional quality is just as good — and sometimes even better, because the produce is often picked and frozen at its peak of quality. The only rap is that freezing collapses the cell walls of certain fruits and vegetables, at some cost to their crunch. But this has no bearing on nutrition. Do look for frozen foods with a single ingredient — no fake herb-butter sauce!

Hope you'll at least reconsider your grocery budget!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I added that, I think those are the numbers. I'll double check tomorrow if I have the time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Small update.

I checked with the people in charge of my pay. It's not fixed next week, but my field pay from August should come in October 30, and the rest should be sorted out November 15th.

Another hopeful note is that I have an educational reimbursement from 2007/08 that the reserves owe me. It's 2000 dollars. On Tuesday I just have to send an email to the chief clerk and she'll track down the problem and fix it... in a matter of months! Also, my extra pay for course (field and incidentals) apparently doesn't come in until the course is over.

The problem is that while this is happening, I'm broke as gently caress and I don't know if I can make my extra debt payments this month above minimums. As it is right now, my chequing buffer is down and I haven't made any extra debt payments and my car payment may throw me into overdraft depending on when it comes out. I guess it's not a big deal because my pay comes in the next day, but still. I hate it and this is all very worrying for my schedule. Meeting my benchmarks really depends at this point on elements of pay being fixed soon that I have no control over and not maintaining an emergency fund. Which I am completely regretting right now.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 8, 2011

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It sucks, but lessons like this teach you more than any of us ever could. I hope it all gets fixed quickly for you!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

tuyop posted:

As it is right now, my chequing buffer is down and I haven't made any extra debt payments and my car payment may throw me into overdraft depending on when it comes out.
I'm sure you can ask your finance company for a little extra time if you explain the situation. The worst they could say is no but then again it depends on the company. Some of them are pretty shady and would slap you a late charge anyway.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Wolfy posted:

I'm sure you can ask your finance company for a little extra time if you explain the situation. The worst they could say is no but then again it depends on the company. Some of them are pretty shady and would slap you a late charge anyway.

This. If you've been making your payments on time, they should be more than happy to change the due date by a few days to keep it that way - just give them a call and ask, explain there was a snafu with your pay and while it's getting sorted, it's just not getting sorted quickly enough.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Scotiabank is my finance company so no shadiness there. I'll call them on Tuesday.

Edit: I went into the stock trading thread just for something to read. I am now completely confused and feel poor. :(

tuyop fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

El_Elegante posted:

Hey, saw this and thought of you. Michael Pollan is as well-informed as it gets on these things.

Hope you'll at least reconsider your grocery budget!

I've been buying pre-frozen meats lately, since I often end up freezing the stuff anyhow. Especially with chicken, there's no real difference and it thaws in five minutes; burgers or something, cook directly. It's turning out to be better trimmed generally, too, for less money.

• Locked thread