Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Mark Larson posted:

The writing is on the wall:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/09/sprint-customers-new-and-old-get-hotspot-data-cap-of-5gb.ars

What bothers me is that nobody was grandfathered in to unlimited 4G data. When Verizon took away unlimited data from phones recently, they allowed you to keep your unlimited plans. You could even sign up for unlimited hotspot for a week after the tiered data (and tiered hotspot) came about.

How can Sprint get away with modifying the terms of the contract willy-nilly?

They basically sold the service saying "We're the only carrier that'll give you unlimited data, come sign with us" and then turn around say "ha ha fooled ya."
It's only talking about tethering, not 4G data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Perhaps in part because the mobile hotspot add-on isn't a contractual feature, you can put it on and take it off anytime.

Now, if someone wanted to bail out of their phone contract because they only bought into it believing they'd get unlimited hotspot data through the duration of the contract, sounds like a good reason to bitch to get out ETF free.

It's like you said, tethering is an add-on and not part of the contracted plan, so there's very little chance of skipping the ETF on this one. The real question is, how many people on SA are even paying for hotspot?

drat iPhone ruins everything.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

SLOSifl posted:

It's only talking about tethering, not 4G data.

Yeah, tethering. On 4G or 3G is now capped.

This whole "add-on" thing is extremely sketchy to me. Sounds to me that they can require add-ons as a part of your contract (required data plans with smartphones anyone?) and then change them whenever they want because they're not "part of the contract."

Anyway, I'm not freaking out because I'm not even with Sprint, but the writing is on the wall - they're going to be looking out for rooted tethering users as well. Better believe it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mark Larson posted:

I'm not even with Sprint

So why are you still here?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mark Larson posted:

The writing is on the wall:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/09/sprint-customers-new-and-old-get-hotspot-data-cap-of-5gb.ars

What bothers me is that nobody was grandfathered in to unlimited 4G data. When Verizon took away unlimited data from phones recently, they allowed you to keep your unlimited plans. You could even sign up for unlimited hotspot for a week after the tiered data (and tiered hotspot) came about.

How can Sprint get away with modifying the terms of the contract willy-nilly?

They basically sold the service saying "We're the only carrier that'll give you unlimited data, come sign with us" and then turn around say "ha ha fooled ya."

Its an add on feature and not part of the contract. Same with Verizon, customers who had unlimited LTE tethering no longer do (to my knowledge).

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Maybe for USB sticks?

Honestly, I would bet you this right here, I always thought having unlimited 3G hotspot on the phone was a dumb idea (nice for customers). The hotspot feature eats into your mobile broadband sales like crazy (even beyond unauthorized tethering) and I would bet the primary goal is to drive up broadband sales. Keep in mind selling a hotspot means it can be turned off at any time, selling a separate broadband hotspot means 2 year contract and consistent $35 a month payments. As a sales rep this is honestly great for me.

Now whether or not Sprint eventually caps internet remains to be seen, but I will say recently they seem pretty committed to it.

Mark Larson posted:

Yeah, tethering. On 4G or 3G is now capped.

This whole "add-on" thing is extremely sketchy to me. Sounds to me that they can require add-ons as a part of your contract (required data plans with smartphones anyone?) and then change them whenever they want because they're not "part of the contract."

Anyway, I'm not freaking out because I'm not even with Sprint, but the writing is on the wall - they're going to be looking out for rooted tethering users as well. Better believe it.

Tethering is ALWAYS an add on, and that's a good thing because otherwise you would get an ETF just for removing a feature. There is a difference between optional and required features: one is required for certain phones (smartphone) and one is an optional add on for certain phones (tethering).

The basics for contracts are so so simple: you sign a contract for what your BASE rate is (usually $69+10 for smartphones). If Sprint adds on a requirement to the base rate, that is not what you agreed to and it voids your contract. Hence why Sprint did not start tacking the $10 add on to existing smartphone users, but rather waited for them to tack it on upon signing a new contract.

Think man think!

Oh, and I would bet they would start looking for that soon too. Which....brings them to the same as Verizon, TMobile and AT&T. I'm all for agreeing Sprint does some things that suck, but this isn't one of them (or not any worse than the others at least).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 22, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

None of the add-ons are required for the duration of the contract. "Premium data" (or whatever they're calling it now) is the only special one because it's required in order to use a smartphone at all.

So if you can find a dumbphone, you can ride out your contract $10/mo cheaper by switching to it, that's why it's still an add-on. However, if they were to change the terms of what "Premium data" is, like jack it up to $20/mo without grandfathering, that I'd have to expect be grounds for ETF dismissal. Not that they would do that.

Edit:

Duckman2008 posted:

The basics for contracts are so so simple: you sign a contract for what your BASE rate is (usually $69+10 for smartphones).
Except you can dump Premium Data mid-contract if you switch devices right? Otherwise there's no way to switch down to a dumbphone temporarily if your smartphone dies.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 22, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Duckman2008 posted:

The basics for contracts are so so simple: you sign a contract for what your BASE rate is (usually $69+10 for smartphones). If Sprint adds on a requirement to the base rate, that is not what you agreed to and it voids your contract. Hence why Sprint did not start tacking the $10 add on to existing smartphone users, but rather waited for them to tack it on upon signing a new contract.

Think man think!

Oh yeah? Then why did Sprint recently make it a retroactive requirement to have the $10 Premium add-on to switch to a smartphone, even the same one you may have had activated on the same line?

http://community.sprint.com/baw/com...data-add-on#bi1

quote:

What is changing?

-Sprint will begin applying its $10 per-month Premium Data add-on to customers who activate any smartphone beginning January 30, 2011.
-Premium Data add-on previously was applied only to HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO Shift 4G and Samsung Epic 4G devices.
-It is now being extended to new activations and upgrades to all smartphones.

So... care to tell me how they can REQUIRE a feature just to do an ESN swap to a phone that you may have had on your plan before the change? No new contract, no new activation, just the same phone now requires a $10 charge.

Think man think

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LorneReams posted:

I currently have a TP2 on the SERO $30 plan. My phone is starting to die...is there something like a TP3 I should get, or is this the end of the line?

Should I just wait for the iphone...how much would that add to my plan(10+10?)

My TP1 doesn't ring a lot of the time and it's hard to hear anything. On the website I can get an LG Remarq for $50 without renewing or changing plans, has anybody used it?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Mark Larson posted:

Oh yeah? Then why did Sprint recently make it a retroactive requirement to have the $10 Premium add-on to switch to a smartphone, even the same one you may have had activated on the same line?

So... care to tell me how they can REQUIRE a feature just to do an ESN swap to a phone that you may have had on your plan before the change? No new contract, no new activation, just the same phone now requires a $10 charge.

Think man think

Uh, programmed constraints on the database?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Re: ExcessBlarg! again -- That revert worked, for the most part. Thanks!

Edit: after that I did another factory reset and everything works now. Yes.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 23, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

Think man think

Retroactive would be telling you they instituted a change now that's effective starting 4 months ago and charging you for those months now. What you described is a policy that affects people making certain changes to their account after a given date that adds a fee to their bill starting on the date they make the change.

Mark Larson posted:

Lovie Unsmith posted:

So why are you still here?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I personally have ESN swapped a Pre without incurring the extra fee sooooo...

Edit: This was only a couple months ago too.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Leathal posted:

My sister swapped out her old phone (Pixi) for my old Pre without incurring the fee, and that was within the last month.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
When I swapped between a broken and an unbroken Pre sprint hit me with the fee, but I was able to bitch at retentions and get it removed.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Ratmtattat posted:

Well, my wife and I got the updates for our Optimus' this morning and installed them. Kinda wish I would've checked the thread before just accepting an update, but that's what I get. No problems so far except that animations seem to be choppier and running a bit slower than normal.

Yeah, this is the behavior I'm getting too, though I guess it probably wasn't so smart of me to mash "install" the second the update popped up. I've changed my mind about the animations, though: before I thought they were choppier, but now I just think they're just choppy in different ways than 2.2. If I had no life I would've run battery benchmarks before and after, too...

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Read ExcessBlarg's post if you installed Gingerbread on an Optimus S. It works perfectly after an install and a factory reset after the install.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

Matlock posted:

Read ExcessBlarg's post if you installed Gingerbread on an Optimus S. It works perfectly after an install and a factory reset after the install.

Link? Are you referring to the charging problem here or just the keyboard? I'm bitten by this:

http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/carriers/sprint/topics/lg-optimus-s-not-charging

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Namlemez posted:

Link? Are you referring to the charging problem here or just the keyboard? I'm bitten by this:

http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/carriers/sprint/topics/lg-optimus-s-not-charging

Back one page

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho
So when is the iphone going to sprint, is it for sure? Cause I need to upgrade and my itouch just broke.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nothing's sure. Latest speculation is early-mid October.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Matlock posted:

Your post is unclear: did you factory reset to 2.3 or 2.2?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Your post is unclear: did you factory reset to 2.3 or 2.2?

I flashed it to 2.2.2, then ran a factory reset afterwards.

The 2.2.2 CAB is available here.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I just got a new job which will ultimately mean a bunch of traveling to small towns throughout the northeast, where Sprint isn't necessarily gonna cover. Have there been any recent contract changes that would let me get out of an ETF to hop over to Verizon? It'd only be $80 at this point, but still...

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I just got a new job which will ultimately mean a bunch of traveling to small towns throughout the northeast, where Sprint isn't necessarily gonna cover. Have there been any recent contract changes that would let me get out of an ETF to hop over to Verizon? It'd only be $80 at this point, but still...

Not unless you roam enough to get them to terminate your account.

min
May 12, 2001

I'm in the same boat, lots of traveling for work and I'm not very happy with my coverage in remote areas. I think I saw someone mention on Slickdeals if you force your phone to roam somehow and use a ton of roaming data Sprint may terminate you. No idea if it's true but I'm thinking of trying it, still about 10 months on my contract.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

You're in luck. Check your most recent bill. There should be a notice about fee changes and a change to the Terms and Conditions effective Sept 9. They increased the admin. fee by $.50 per line and I think changed the method of settling disputes. Something about arbitration and class action suits. You have 30 days to cancel otherwise you agree to the changes. I don't know if that 30 days begins Sept 9 or the day you received the notice in your bill.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leathal posted:

Sprint retentions can override it, and I have seen older phones like the Pre be exempted from it, especially the Pre since it breaks down so often. Basically, sprint feels bad that you swap to a pre, they let it slide :)

Note, I always did like the Pre, just not the lovely build quality.

Mark Larson posted:

Think man think

I went a bit over the top (as did you), but no offense: you don't understand cell phone contracts that well. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you don't understand them. In a nutshell, the contract you sign is with the device you sign up with, so yes switching to other devices after a policy change is at your risk. Again, same with Verizon, even if I signed a contract with a dumbphone 1 year ago with unlimited data, and now bring my own smartphone over, I can't get the unlimited data I could have gotten last year with a smartphone.

And @excessblarg the $10 fee absolutely goes away anytime you switch to a dumbphone, regardless of contract.

CharlesM posted:

My TP1 doesn't ring a lot of the time and it's hard to hear anything. On the website I can get an LG Remarq for $50 without renewing or changing plans, has anybody used it?

The $50 remarq should be no contract, its a refurbished phone (always just verify). Fyi it is a good phone, but mostly for calling and testing. Data is 1xrtt (aka 2g) only and quite frankly it is not a smartphone. But no contract, so it is a good buy as long as you know exactly what you are getting phone wise.

min posted:

I'm in the same boat, lots of traveling for work and I'm not very happy with my coverage in remote areas. I think I saw someone mention on Slickdeals if you force your phone to roam somehow and use a ton of roaming data Sprint may terminate you. No idea if it's true but I'm thinking of trying it, still about 10 months on my contract.

Chewbacca has the best answer for this month, so anyone can get out of contract free it seems. Normally sprints policies are if you use more than 50% roaming on a monthly basis (no specific frame sorry) they cut you off. If the loophole wasn't there what I would recommend is just force roam whenever traveling and you basically will have signal anywhere Verizon is. Fyi a reminder that sprint does have soft roaming caps at 800 minutes and 300mbs of data (no text limit), so always bear that in mind.

fuckyoubitch posted:

So when is the iphone going to sprint, is it for sure? Cause I need to upgrade and my itouch just broke.

Everytime someone asks that question a sprint rep somewhere dies :(

But seriously, you will know when its official, and no one knows for sure until then.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 23, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Phones that Sprint will no longer sell

Evo 4G, Echo, BB Bold 9650, Sanyo Innuendo.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lovie Unsmith posted:

EVO 4G RIP! Mine is still rocking hard with MIUI and I love it. The longest I have kept a phone in over 5 years. It is the most important phone Sprint has released.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Rest in peace, Kyocera Echo. Maybe I'll play with one when they inevitably drop in price for used/refurb :unsmith:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

No surprises there,and sprint has to discontinue the evo to sell other phones.

The innuendo was actually a good dumb phone, it just was ugly as sin.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

Everytime someone asks that question a sprint rep somewhere dies :(

But seriously, you will know when its official, and no one knows for sure until then.

For a moment there I actually thought you changed his username in the quote because of that question. But no, that's just what his name is.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Haha, I just got a call from Sprint about exceeding my roaming data. They said I used 1.6gb in July and was only allowed 300mb. So it looks like they're cracking down on this finally.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
IS th3e Samsung Galaxy S II Otterbox case suitable for use with the Epic 4G Touch? I'm guessing not since the Touch is 4.5" screen.

Any suggestions on a good otterbox like case?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

tijag posted:

IS th3e Samsung Galaxy S II Otterbox case suitable for use with the Epic 4G Touch? I'm guessing not since the Touch is 4.5" screen.

Any suggestions on a good otterbox like case?
No it's not, besides the screen size difference the camera arrangement on the back is different too. (I think the ET is slightly thicker as well.)

I haven't seen anything comparable to the OtterBox yet and it sounds like they might not be making one for this phone.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Duckman2008 posted:

you don't understand cell phone contracts that well. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you don't understand them. In a nutshell, the contract you sign is with the device you sign up with, so yes switching to other devices after a policy change is at your risk. Again, same with Verizon, even if I signed a contract with a dumbphone 1 year ago with unlimited data, and now bring my own smartphone over, I can't get the unlimited data I could have gotten last year with a smartphone.

I just signed a contract with T-Mobile. Nowhere in that contract is a mention of a phone or that I have to stick with that specific phone. Just that I signed a contract for XYZ plan with ABC features and that its for 2 years. Anyway, we were talking about somebody who, let's say, did the following:

1. Sign a contract in 2010 with a Touch Pro2 for $60 a month.
2. Switch to a Remarq in 2010 with no change in plan.
3. Switch back to a Touch Pro2 after January 2011, get slapped with a $10 fee. <-- Problem, in most people's mind.

But anyway, the second part of your post is completely true, for different reasons. Nobody is saying that Sprint should grandfather people into plans/features they didn't already have, just that Sprint (or any other carrier) shouldn't be able to jerk people off of the plan that they're on or change the terms on them without giving them an out.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

Nobody is saying that Sprint should grandfather people into plans/features they didn't already have, just that Sprint (or any other carrier) shouldn't be able to jerk people off of the plan that they're on or change the terms on them without giving them an out.
Is it clear they didn't?

If I went TP2 -> Remarq -> TP2, particularly the same TP2, or with the intention of it being a replacement for my original (say it broke, or I just didn't like the Remarq), if I got slapped with the $10 fee I'd call retentions and say that's unacceptable. I'd ask either for the fee to be waived (which it sounds like they've been somewhat liberal about), or to fulfill the contract so I can jump ship sans ETF because they changed the terms of the agreement (that their existing product line of 3G smartphones now command a $10/mo increased charge).

They'd cave. If not, I'd still cancel and if they stiffed me I'd go into arbitration. But they'll cave because they'd rather keep me as a customer at my present rate than lose me and not recoup the phone subsidy. And it's quite likely that they'll nab me for the $10/mo at my next subsidized upgrade anyways.

But if folks just rolled over and paid the $10/mo without questioning it, they're chumps. It's still lovely on Sprint's part. They could've at least said current folks would be grandfathered in at least until the end of their contract. So if you activate a new device after your contract term, then you're on the hook for $10/mo more. Maybe that's their unofficial policy, but they didn't want to officially advertise it since it's kind of complicated and might lead to confusion.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 23, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is it clear they didn't?

If I went TP2 -> Remarq -> TP2, particularly the same TP2, or with the intention of it being a replacement for my original (say it broke, or I just didn't like the Remarq), if I got slapped with the $10 fee I'd call retentions and say that's unacceptable. I'd ask either for the fee to be waived (which it sounds like they've been somewhat liberal about), or to fulfill the contract so I can jump ship sans ETF because they changed the terms of the agreement (that their existing product line of 3G smartphones now command a $10/mo increased charge).

They'd cave. If not, I'd still cancel and if they stiffed me I'd go into arbitration. But they'll cave because they'd rather keep me as a customer at my present rate than lose me and not recoup the phone subsidy. And it's quite likely that they'll nab me for the $10/mo at my next subsidized upgrade anyways.

But if folks just rolled over and paid the $10/mo without questioning it, they're chumps. It's still lovely on Sprint's part. They could've at least said current folks would be grandfathered in at least until the end of their contract. So if you activate a new device after your contract term, then you're on the hook for $10/mo more. Maybe that's their unofficial policy, but they didn't want to officially advertise it since it's kind of complicated and might lead to confusion.

In terms of official policy, its all unofficial and seems to vary based off of who you get, how long you have been with Sprint, etc. But yeah, that would have pretty much been my response.

A lot of businesses, Wireless and other industries, make money off of customers who do not take the time to research or simply ask "can I get this cheaper." Sprint is not being customer friendly by not offering it outright to everyone, but how many companies have. So yeah, the biggest rule in wireless is always call in and ask, the worst you get is no.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is it clear they didn't?

If I went TP2 -> Remarq -> TP2, particularly the same TP2, or with the intention of it being a replacement for my original (say it broke, or I just didn't like the Remarq), if I got slapped with the $10 fee I'd call retentions and say that's unacceptable. I'd ask

I'm only talking about policies, not YMMV-style retention-calling. The official policy does state that you will get a $10 fee if you switch to another smartphone, with the only exception being a warranty replacement. What retentions is doing is another matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mark Larson posted:

I'm only talking about policies, not YMMV-style retention-calling. The official policy does state that you will get a $10 fee if you switch to another smartphone, with the only exception being a warranty replacement. What retentions is doing is another matter.

And its one of the crappier policies. I don't get your point beyond the revelation that Wireless carriers have policies that heavily favor them over the consumer? I can think of stuff on all carriers that do this:

Verizon: 2MB $30 plan (still think this is a ripoff), the whole $1.99 data fee fiasco, $15 for exchange email on Android (dependent on the exchange server i think)

AT&T: Its AT&T, 'nuff said. currently they are doing the "let's auto add tethering to people's plans."

TMobile: got rid of the even more plus plans and instituted the same plan but with contract. Granted, they are usually the best on policy issues, but they have really been tougher with their customers from what i have noticed lately. I will grant I am more likely to notice negative things on TMobile, but if you think they are still as loose and customer friendly as they were 1 year ago, you are kidding yourself. Not even close (very sad to say).

Sprint: $10 data add on, upping of fees, etc

And My Absolute favorite wireless policy:
Cricket: bans their own customers from calling customer service for a period of time if they call more than 3 times in a month

This isn't Europe unfortunately, Wireless carriers here all have sucky policies. In the end, let's all be thankful we don't live in loving Canada, every story on Wireless from up there just sounds like a nightmare.