Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I hope you don't mind me loving around with your image. It's a very sloppy quick edit, but I just wanted a visual to help illustrate my point. I know the blood i added looks lame, just gives you an idea of what I mean.

loving around with her eyes is pretty key to a good zombie IMO. I also went way overboard on "bruising" her, but I think a little would help the images. (Also ignore the second image, I accidentally uploaded it)

Screen shot 2011-09-20 at 1.08.18 AM by francography, on Flickr

Only registered members can see post attachments!

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

this is the weakest. Good model, but direct profile shot is weakest one.

I'm curious as to why you say so. Is it the profile shot in general, or something in particular I've done here. She does seem kind of flat and unexpressive.

McMadCow posted:

I like these a lot. I like the feel and the B&W treatment. The only thing I would suggest watching out for is to make sure your subjects have enough light in their eyes.

That said, here's a subject with a completely unlit face...

Maria by McMadCow, on Flickr

Thanks a lot — it rally means a lot to me. I've been following your (excellent) work for quote some time, and I like to think I was able to get a bit of that feel in here.

This new shot of yours looks great to me. The feeling I get is one of fragility; she seems very isolated in the scene.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Reichstag posted:

The grunge overlay, vignetting and zombification are all distracting and disconnected, to the point that they look like they're from a different image than the model. This is compounded by the posing, which is static, upright and unnatural: all things that are directly opposed to the supposed theme of 'Zombie Pinup.'

somnambulist posted:

I think the zombie bits look good, but that's just me. What I don't like though, is how clean and composed she seems to be despite the fact she has rotting flesh. It's not "enough". I'm not really suggesting to add more rotting bits, I'm just saying it doesn't look like it belongs. Her smile is way too clean, her face is too "pretty", even if it's a "pin up". Her eyes are too "beautified" ....they should be darker, glazed over, milky, scary looking.

When I think "zombie pin up" I think of a pin up model in a suggestive pose with a freaky as hell looking face and something "off" in the frame. Maybe a limb or something, i dunno.

Thanks guys.. I do appreciate the feedback.
The makeup was done by a first year special effects makeup artist wanting to get a few pics for her portfolio. I quite liked it, but I do see what you mean about being a little too fake, despite the detail in what's there. It's there and nowhere else kinda thing.

I didn't want to digitally enhance the zombie bits at all, as that's all 100% special effects makeup, nothing digital about it. IMO, It's be false of me to enhance it to the point where it doesn't reflect what the MUA actually achieved.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Cyberbob posted:

Thanks guys.. I do appreciate the feedback.
The makeup was done by a first year special effects makeup artist wanting to get a few pics for her portfolio. I quite liked it, but I do see what you mean about being a little too fake, despite the detail in what's there. It's there and nowhere else kinda thing.

I didn't want to digitally enhance the zombie bits at all, as that's all 100% special effects makeup, nothing digital about it. IMO, It's be false of me to enhance it to the point where it doesn't reflect what the MUA actually achieved.

Makes sense :) If anything, maybe you could show her the images and offer some feedback, especially on eyes. I think they look good, it can just be pushed. I'm gonna remove the images I posted now, hope it helped.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
It's kind of a funny coincidence that the other day my brother and his fiance wanted me to zombify a picture I took of them.

Zombie Engagement by Myotomy, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

thetzar posted:

I'm curious as to why you say so. Is it the profile shot in general, or something in particular I've done here. She does seem kind of flat and unexpressive.

It's not a good angle for the model, and it's unexceptional otherwise. The other shots have some zing, but the combination of "mug shot profile" and the fact that it's unflattering just kill it.

Terrible lighting for this. I'm not sure I color corrected it properly. Thoughts?

Reyes Head Shot by torgeaux, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's pretty orange/yellow.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Duttain 4 by Chris Hayden Photo, on Flickr

Duttain 1 by Chris Hayden Photo, on Flickr

Duttain 3 by Chris Hayden Photo, on Flickr

Just going to post a few photos from a shoot last week that I actually like. He decided that he should coach the other model on how to pose and not me, then decided that he should also be getting photos done. I had just about had it by the end. Not sure where I want to go with post-processing, and don't particularly care.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

red19fire posted:

Just going to post a few photos from a shoot last week that I actually like. He decided that he should coach the other model on how to pose and not me, then decided that he should also be getting photos done. I had just about had it by the end. Not sure where I want to go with post-processing, and don't particularly care.

Eep, kick him out of the set next time!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

aliencowboy posted:

It's pretty orange/yellow.

Reyes Head Shot3 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Getting my hair cut the other day, mentioned to my regular hairdresser that I'm a photographer, and she remarks that she wants some shots of her and her kids (know them both - vaguely). Following this she asks how much I charge. I haven't done much paid work before as I'm still relatively new to photography, and going pro for a career in photography isn't my proposed career path.

Should I go back and offer to shoot a session, and if so, how much is a reasonable amount to charge?

Haven't done a huge deal of portrait photography before, but there have been a few occasions where I've been able to get some practice in. If she agrees would it be a good idea to get a friend and practice composition + posing etc?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

The correct response is probably "oh sorry, I'm not a pro photographer. Would you like some recommendations to one?" I mean, if you haven't really done portrait photography and you don't plan on being a pro, why photograph someone's kids when you have no experience, just for the money?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It honestly isn't worth it to deal with a client if that's not something you intend to do properly. Money changing hands changes photography quite a bit.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Paragon8 posted:

It honestly isn't worth it to deal with a client if that's not something you intend to do properly. Money changing hands changes photography quite a bit.

Yeah, right. I've had a few situations like above where everyone who sees me with a DSLR at an event or something thinks I'm a pro. /Smalltownblues

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Auditore posted:

Getting my hair cut the other day, mentioned to my regular hairdresser that I'm a photographer, and she remarks that she wants some shots of her and her kids (know them both - vaguely). Following this she asks how much I charge. I haven't done much paid work before as I'm still relatively new to photography, and going pro for a career in photography isn't my proposed career path.

Should I go back and offer to shoot a session, and if so, how much is a reasonable amount to charge?

Haven't done a huge deal of portrait photography before, but there have been a few occasions where I've been able to get some practice in. If she agrees would it be a good idea to get a friend and practice composition + posing etc?

Wait, you're new to photography but you casually mention to your hair dresser that you're a photographer? Were you trying to pick her up?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

xenilk posted:

Wait, you're new to photography but you casually mention to your hair dresser that you're a photographer? Were you trying to pick her up?

I have an oven. I is chef?

Honestly, either do it for free, or not at all.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

do it for a haircut!

that way if you do a terrible job she can get her own back by giving you a terrible haircut

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cyberbob posted:

I have an oven. I is chef?

Honestly, either do it for free, or not at all.

I did some actor headshots to show him the difference in well lit shots with good camera (versus buddy's p&s), but told him to pay someone if appreciated the difference. He saw the benefit and paid a pro, even though he liked the test shots.

if she's a friend, shooting her kids is kosher (for free). If not, point her elsewhere.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

The other thing is doing favors for friends can complicate things too. They'll expect "special rates", get mad if they're disappointed, and so on. It makes things difficult socially. I had a friend ask me if I could do headshots for her cousin in 3 days for free; I had to be all like "so sorry I'm way too busy!" and now she's pouty.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

nonanone posted:

The other thing is doing favors for friends can complicate things too. They'll expect "special rates", get mad if they're disappointed, and so on. It makes things difficult socially. I had a friend ask me if I could do headshots for her cousin in 3 days for free; I had to be all like "so sorry I'm way too busy!" and now she's pouty.

"Do it for free, or for full price. Never for cheap"

I've approached that situation before by saying you're too busy with paying clients. They'll get the hint.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Cyberbob posted:

"Do it for free, or for full price. Never for cheap"

I've approached that situation before by saying you're too busy with paying clients. They'll get the hint.

Pretty much. I forget where I saw it, but it comes down to the Kidney test, don't do it for free unless you'd give them a kidney (at least if it's your profession).

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
http://shouldiworkforfree.com/

You have no idea how offended a friend was(diva lead singer in a local rock band) when I gave them the "sorry, I'm too busy with paying clients" line, then gave them that link, as a half-joke-half-serious when they wanted me to shoot their EP's cover/publicity pics for nothing.

She went off her NUT about how I know full well they don't make any money etc, it all goes right back into the band, etc etc etc.

Yawn. I never said you made a profit.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 23, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Pretty much. I forget where I saw it, but it comes down to the Kidney test, don't do it for free unless you'd give them a kidney (at least if it's your profession).
That's an awesome rule for anything you do professionally.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

nonanone posted:

I shot one wedding for a huge discount because it was going to be easy and I wanted to see if it was something I wanted to do for extra income. Well it wasn't and I won't shoot a wedding for under $1000 ever again.

My wife's highschool friend is getting married and wanted me to shoot theirs too, for 300 dollars. I told them $800 would be a stretch but I could probably do a few hours for that. They said "Oh...we thought you just did it for fun and that you weren't a professional photographer" and I had to decline. But to "avoid drama" my wife said she'd just do it and get the basics. I told her that her logic is backwards and doing this gig is only going to create more drama.

Now closer to the date, obviously I was right and the "clients" are annoying as hell, demanding, and don't know what they're talking about, alos wanted engagement photos on crazy short notice & included in the original 300 price. Of course if anything comes up I'm going to have to bail my wife out and shoot some stupid loving photos, for her not the clients, I couldn't care less about them. Otherwise I imagine she'd be mad at me for not helping her out and I'd be a bad husband.... despite my advice for her to just walk away from this.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Cyberbob posted:

She went off her NUT about how I know full well they don't make any money etc, it all goes right back into the band, etc etc etc.

Zack Arias says that bands have plenty of money--look at their equipment. You just need to convince them that money on photos IS money going back into the band.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Paragon8 posted:

Haha, pick something from 500px and I can give the "director's commentary" behind it. I warn you there's a couple that's just going to be "I was winging it and got super lucky"

Sorry for being late!

Could you explain the PP behind this one? http://500px.com/photo/1651571
I like the washed out look, and my first thought is a slight overexposure, but upon a closer look that's not it (is it?). I would like to work towards the "retro" look, blown out sun, warm colors, flare - that kind of stuff, but I have no idea where to start (and just playing around seems to be a path to misery for me at the moment).

Also this one: http://500px.com/photo/1065297
I really like the texture in the backgrounds on that one.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

torgeaux posted:

His right shoulder is pretty blurry , I cant take my eyes of it.

Niagalack fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 23, 2011

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Niagalack posted:

His right shoulder is pretty blurry , I cant take my eye of it.

Yeah, I guess it's a matter of personal preference, but if there's no background to blow out, I'm not a fan of shallow depth of field on portraits.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I know it's personal preference but what goal did he achieve doing so? He also control the lightning so I don't understand why he would want to use a low aperture number. I might be wrong with this, if I am explain.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I'll let torgeaux explain why he chose a shallow depth of field.

But I know some people would say that as long as the eyes are in focus, the portrait works.

This is true, but I think it's more applicable when you have a situation where you're trying to isolate the subject from the background. In a studio portrait, I personally would want the whole person in focus.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

torgeaux posted:

It's still pretty underexposed - look at the collar of his white shirt.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Maybe the exposure of the collar isn't important to the photo? The main subject (the face) is properly exposed, so unless Torgeaux is trying to make a statement about this man's clothing, who cares. Also, I think using a shallow depth of field on a portrait is fine for certain composures, this type being one of them.

I'm guessing you shot this using available light- my main nitpick would be the shadows inside his eye-sockets.. they could have used some fill, but it's not that big of a deal. Having his eyes be shadowed just changes the overall feeling of the picture. I like the mood of the photo and I also like his skin.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Niagalack posted:

I know it's personal preference but what goal did he achieve doing so? He also control the lightning so I don't understand why he would want to use a low aperture number. I might be wrong with this, if I am explain.

According to exif: f 1.4 1/25 shutter speed no flash. @ ISO 100. I would have done the same, but I probably would have tried f2, f5.8 @ iso 400-800 because I always end up with not enough (for my taste) in focus. It's pretty wicked sharp but the quick transitions into blurriness mess with my head (look at the detail in his cheeks and hair by his temple). Exposure of the collar is perfectly fine.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Whether or not we can agree on the merits of the DOF used, his subject's eyes aren't lit and that's a big no-no in this sort of portrait.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

Whether or not we can agree on the merits of the DOF used, his subject's eyes aren't lit and that's a big no-no in this sort of portrait.

Instead of hitting all the (correct) critiques, let me broadly explain.

This was a 'can you take a quick shot' photo, for use in a newspaper article. Only one room in my office allows cameras, no natural light, terrible fluorescents. I needed a reflector, but the butcher block paper I use for that was being used. I prefer shallow depth, and his jacket had no detail (navy blues) anyway.

a flash or a reflector would have gone a long way.

I'll link to the article when it goes live.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Slowly working my way into photographing people more. I had a lot of bad shots in my assortment of rolls. I maybe have 2 or 3 more shots that aren't absolutely terrible.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 24, 2011

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I went to a photography course but I didn't really pay attention to what the bloke was telling me because there was a real girl there!
I hope some of these look more portraity than snapshotty.

More of the day in this set - http://www.flickr.com/photos/clwn/sets/72157627612618679/

Overview here - http://andrewdashb.tumblr.com/post/10571721064/i-did-a-photography-course

Clown fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 24, 2011

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Clown posted:

I went to a photography course but I didn't really pay attention to what the bloke was telling me because there was a real girl there!
I hope some of these look more portraity than snapshotty.

Lovely shoot :) Looks like not listening actually paid out ;-) Were you guiding her at all?

Here's a teaser of my shoot today taken in an abandoned building.

IMG_9555 by avoyer, on Flickr

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Portraiture is my favorite thing to do with a camera, and it bugs me that I am so god awful at it. Really, I just need to put the time in, I think, which I really haven't been able to do. My niece asked me to take some pictures for her first homecoming dance this past weekend, though, and I do like the way one of them turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Portraiture is my favorite thing to do with a camera, and it bugs me that I am so god awful at it. Really, I just need to put the time in, I think, which I really haven't been able to do. My niece asked me to take some pictures for her first homecoming dance this past weekend, though, and I do like the way one of them turned out.

for someone who's "god awful at it" that's a pretty solid portrait! :)