Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Waffle Zone posted:

But, I thought iTunes won't let me restore 4.2.1 unless I have the SHSH blob and my phone is not currently jailbroken so I cannot get it.
Oh, you literally have no SHSH saved? Never been jail broken at all? I guess you are screwed. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Waffle Zone posted:

But, I thought iTunes won't let me restore 4.2.1 unless I have the SHSH blob and my phone is not currently jailbroken so I cannot get it.

Edit: I'm going to try using PwnageTool for 4.2.1 before I ask for help again.

Edit2: Yeah, I get the same error for jailbreaking 4.2.1 in PwnageTool.
If your phone is running 4.2.1 right now then iFaith will be able to pull the shsh off your phone even if apple isn't signing it anymore, then you can restore with a custom/jailbroken 4.2.1 firmware

To download
http://ih8sn0w.com/

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE

Waffle Zone posted:

Edit: I'm going to try using PwnageTool for 4.2.1 before I ask for help again.

Edit2: Yeah, I get the same error for jailbreaking 4.2.1 in PwnageTool.

Dude just run greenpoison? Is there something I'm missing

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Horray!! New iPhone4 still on 4.3.3!!!

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

fineX posted:

Dude just run greenpoison? Is there something I'm missing
Yeah, this, he doesn't need his blobs if he's not changing versions.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

navyjack posted:

Horray!! New iPhone4 still on 4.3.3!!!
Ok, can use some guidance here. I have my old JB 3Gs running 4.3.3. Got a new iphone4 which is (luckily) also in 4.3.3. I want to get all my settings, contacts, SMS, apps and the like over to my 4. How do I do this without upgrading to new iOS and ruining my ability to JB? I can't just backup my 3Gs and restore my 4 from backup, right?

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE

navyjack posted:

Ok, can use some guidance here. I have my old JB 3Gs running 4.3.3. Got a new iphone4 which is (luckily) also in 4.3.3. I want to get all my settings, contacts, SMS, apps and the like over to my 4. How do I do this without upgrading to new iOS and ruining my ability to JB? I can't just backup my 3Gs and restore my 4 from backup, right?

Plug in iPhone, sync

clarification: yes you can set it up as your old iphone.

camgirl fangirl fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 22, 2011

TheZodiac
Feb 2, 2004
I uninstalled a bunch of Cydia crap this morning because my battery is draining like mad, now my GPS isn't working.
I have tried hard booting etc. Can anyone think of anything outside of a restore I might try before going down that path?

Thanks

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

What is Afrika.. You can not comprehend, what afrika is!
Quick question. Has anyone used ScummVM on their iPad? How is it, is it worth jailbreaking for? Give me the good and bad about it.

Would be the only reason for me to jailbreak seeing as most companies are slow at releasing adventure games for iOS. :P

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

DirtyWorker posted:

Quick question. Has anyone used ScummVM on their iPad? How is it, is it worth jailbreaking for? Give me the good and bad about it.

Would be the only reason for me to jailbreak seeing as most companies are slow at releasing adventure games for iOS. :P

I installed it last week and have been playing Full Throttle without issues so far.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Is there any way to go back to ios 4.3.3 from ios 4.3.5? This whole tethered jailbreak thing is a major pain in the rear end.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

keykey posted:

Is there any way to go back to ios 4.3.3 from ios 4.3.5? This whole tethered jailbreak thing is a major pain in the rear end.

Only if you have your shsh blob for 4.3.3 saved. And yes, tethered jailbreaks are horrible, which is why I haven't addressed jailbreaking 4.3.5 in the op.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

They don't seem that bad to me, but maybe there's some scenarios involving needing to reboot frequently that I haven't run into or something.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

maduin posted:

Only if you have your shsh blob for 4.3.3 saved. And yes, tethered jailbreaks are horrible, which is why I haven't addressed jailbreaking 4.3.5 in the op.

Aaah, well, it appears I have a 4.2.1 shsh in TinyUmbrella since this is the first update I've done in a while since my phone poo poo out on me yesterday. Would I be able to throw the phone in DFU mode and reload to 4.2.1?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

keykey posted:

Aaah, well, it appears I have a 4.2.1 shsh in TinyUmbrella since this is the first update I've done in a while since my phone poo poo out on me yesterday. Would I be able to throw the phone in DFU mode and reload to 4.2.1?

Yes. Just make sure either TU is running with the TSS server, or your hosts file is pointing Apple to Cydia

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Hey guys,

Two questions: what's a good app to allow a streaming app like Pocket Tunes to run in the back while I use the phone to play a game? For instance, I want to listen to Pocket Tunes or the Sirius app while playing a game that takes over the audio on the device (it happens with games like Flick Fishing). I tried to use Backgrounder but that didn't work (unless I'm doing something wrong).

Also, have anyone tried out the Lion Ultimate theme yet?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Also, have anyone tried out the Lion Ultimate theme yet?

I'm trying to try it, to no avail.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
To each their own but why would anyone seriously want to put that on their phone?

Terrible just for the point of it customizations are one of the worst parts of Android and it's always pretty weird/sad to see people ricing up their iOS device in the same terrible ways.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

To each their own but why would anyone seriously want to put that on their phone?

Why not?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Arrowsmith posted:

Why not?
Because a GUI designed for a large screen with mouse input would be awkward and annoying to use on a small touch-only device. This is why phones have unique OS's in the first place these days.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Arrowsmith posted:

Why not?
Are you freaking serious? Did you even watch the video?

I mean, on an iPad MAYBE, but just look at the usability on a phone. How is that anything but counterproductive?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
What would cause a jailbroken 3G unlocked for Tmobile to switch back to AT&T? My mom was driving in Colorado and it just changed.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Whitezombi posted:

What would cause a jailbroken 3G unlocked for Tmobile to switch back to AT&T? My mom was driving in Colorado and it just changed.

Roaming onto an AT&T tower when no T-Mobile service is available?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

maduin posted:

Roaming onto an AT&T tower when no T-Mobile service is available?

That's my guess too.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Oh hell - I didn't even think about that. Thanks.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Arrowsmith posted:

Why not?

I'll give you 1 guess why I'm reformatting and reinstalling ios on my device.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I did not intend to imply that this might be a full-time thing, but more like a "Why climb Mt. Everest" sort of thing. It appeals to people suffering from that First-World Problem called boredom.

I have a second phone lying around so I thought it might be worth checking out. Given the likelihood of having an experience like those such keykey, I probably won't bother. But it seems like a neat idea, if not a practical one, and might be worthy of poking around with it for an hour or two. If it even worked, that is.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I thought it would be fun to play with but then it went to the lock screen and.. Well.. That's all she wrote. The phone would just go to the lock screen immediately and not be responsive and I didn't have a backup so I made a 4.2.1 loader off of my 4.2.1 shsh and now I'm back in the game but I'm going back and forth between 4.2.1 and my 4.3.5 backup still pulling over important business info that I forgot to grab since itunes can't pull info backwards.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Ugh. My mother is now convinced that AT&T has locked the phone because it was jalibroken and unlocked. :suicide:

Anyway. She is now in an area that has T-mobile. The phone will not switch back to T-mobile and shows AT&T as the carrier and will not work.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty

Xenomorph posted:

Load up Tiny Umbrella and query Cydia for SHSH. If it downloads 4.3.3, you're good to go.

Thanks. Once that's done, I just run Tiny Umbrella's TSS server and use iTunes to install the firmware I want?

edit: never mind, i have "saved SHSHs" for 4.3.x on tinyumbrella but i guess they have not been signed by apple

Guy Farting fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 24, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My home button has been working like poo poo and I want to go back to stock iOS to make sure it isn't Activator, which I've heard has given people lots of hell when it comes to home button fuckery. Unfortunately when I try to update to the latest version of iOS, I get an error saying that the device isn't upgradable (or something like that).

Do I have to do a full restore?

Edit: I'm running iOS 4.3.3 on an iPhone 4 and the latest version of Lion and iTunes.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Why not just remove activator?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MickRaider posted:

Why not just remove activator?

If it isn't activator I have to remove the jailbreak before going to Fruit and replacing my iPhone just so they won't say "you are poo poo out of luck because you jail broke your iPhone".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

If it isn't activator I have to remove the jailbreak before going to Fruit and replacing my iPhone just so they won't say "you are poo poo out of luck because you jail broke your iPhone".

But if it IS Activator, you will know faster, easier, and without having to redo everything, if you just remove Activator and mess around with the phone for a while.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

So remove activator to make sure it's a hardware problem. If it is, then just backup everything and restore as new, since you'll be getting a new phone anyway.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

randyest posted:

So remove activator to make sure it's a hardware problem. If it is, then just backup everything and restore as new, since you'll be getting a new phone anyway.

Yeah thats what I figured. Nonetheless, how can I get over this problem of not being able to upgrade to 4.3.5 in case I want to for any reason?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

It might be due to having your host file set to bypass apple servers.

If you're on windows go to:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and open hosts then remove anything that has apple in it.

That should allow you to upgrade.

Or just try using tiny umbrella and keep it on 4.3.3 so you can rejailbreak if you find out it's activator instead of going to 4.3.5

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Unfortunately on OS X, but thanks for that answer. :)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Yeah thats what I figured. Nonetheless, how can I get over this problem of not being able to upgrade to 4.3.5 in case I want to for any reason?
I don't know for sure, but I'd try a different data cable and, if possible, a different computer (or reinstall itunes.) Then try a DFU restore (I think instructions are in the OP, or you can google it.) Someone else may have more specific advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

randyest posted:

I don't know for sure, but I'd try a different data cable and, if possible, a different computer (or reinstall itunes.) Then try a DFU restore (I think instructions are in the OP, or you can google it.) Someone else may have more specific advice.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

It seems like it WAS activator. Since I SBSettings and most of BiteSMS's functionality depends on Activator and what I used my jailbreak for the most, I think I'm going to restore back to stock iOS after all. At least iOS 5's notifications really seem to be better than 4.x's.

• Locked thread